PDA

View Full Version : Down the Barcoo

greensyster
06-14-2010, 04:48 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-14-2010/135872_downbarcoo.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Down the Barcoo
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 x 40ins
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The obedient Herefords plod along in the bull dust shepherded by Smarty the blue heeler.<br><br>My Dad was a Jackaroo and we loved to hear his tales of the complex social life of cattle on the 'long paddocks'

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am an Australian painter so I know our red dirt might not seem kosher all over the world but allowing for that - I value all constructive critiques.

tgsloth
06-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, this is getting ridiculous. I rate this painting as your best and superior to the one that won. I try to find words of praise and just sputter. You want constructive criticism? I think the signature if positioned too high on the picture plane. See if you can't work on that problem.

rusted_art
06-14-2010, 07:53 AM
yes you have certainly gone over the top. fantastic. i love the composition of the bullocks faces and the detail of their character and interaction, my favorite is the guy on the left keeping out of trouble. Only thing i can see that might help is the tree on the left doesnt feel quite grounded and could use some dark tone there perhaps. but yeah what a painting.

Corby
06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
This is oh so familiar... you might as well be painting the Herefords on the ranch where I grew up in Eastern Oregon state. ( John Day Valley) That could well be my dad on the front horse, my mom on the back horse. I am a sucker for orange tones and backlit situations. This is marvelous!....Do you like it without the dog?

valentine girl
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
this painting makes me think there is fire spreading. it displays urgency and fear! i love it. it reminds me of my favorite book, the Thornbirds.great!********sandy

La_
06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
wow
just wow
it looks really hot
it's no wonder y'all get raging fires there

love the color pallet, comp, mood, all that stuff

your critters are pretty cuddly, mine have tended to be a bit more aloof with one another, an oddly interesting comparison in cattle psyche considering the temp differences between the continents

la

crazywoman53
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I imagine in reality the size of this painting makes it even more dramatic than we see here. Nice work!

Bright Eyes
06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Yep found my new favorite : ) This is just amazing! And I just love all the red. The atmosphere is just amazing in this. My key board is getting dustier by the moment! My only critique is that your blue heeler looks kind of like a raccoon mix. And his legs are too long and dainty. But alas, I had to really look for "something" to critique on this so its really not a big issue.

greensyster
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow! You are the best guys to wake up to (8am here LOL). And you picked my three nits which I conveniently tried to convince myself 'didn't exist'.

Great and magnificent Sloth - You darling man! :) And you are actually right about the signture - I purposefully put it high cos I don't like the dog but wouldn't 'admit' it to myself. Now Smarty will be reworked. Thank you.

Rusted One :) So right! That tree needed that grounding - will do it first thing. Thank you. I cannot resist telling a story in these sort of attempts so I love that the elements have come across to you.

Corby - Yep - that doggorn daugie!!! I kept pretending I could live with it but the truth is - it has to be reworked. Thank you for the confirmation. And isn't that interesting the Oregon-Queensland similarity? :)

Sandra - Ah yes the Thornbirds - great read! That's just dust rising from the cattle moving - not bushfires - trust me! :)

La - I visited a large Hereford stud farm in BC when I was over there - they all looked VERY fat and extremely happy. Those Alberta ones must be the thin snobby lot? Glad 'all that stuff' pleases you :)

Christine - thank you so much for your comment! I am really happy working with this size and think maybe I am meant to be a 'bag canvas' painter. (Goes with my big head!)

Kimberly - Ah you spotted the unique Aussie breed called the Daddly Long Legs Heeler, I see! LOL I am fixing his anatomy this morning. And thank you - :)

Spyderbabe
06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Loving it... the comp, the palette, the mood, the lighting... yup...love it all.

cathaden
06-15-2010, 09:56 AM
no crits from me...I even like the dog! We have that red dirt in Va, too.
This painting should win an award somewhere...amazing powerful work!!

Dana Design
06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Whoa! Marie! sensational painting! Grandly, majestically beautiful.

allanom
06-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Loving it... the comp, the palette, the mood, the lighting... yup...love it all.

Yes, and yes, etc...

And going with Bob on the signature too high (gotta find SOMETHING to crit...:O)))

lastborn
06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't think it's healthy to get nothing but praise on a work, so ya, I think your signature is too high also. The picture is beautiful!!

Continental
06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
This would fit right in here in the US. This is fabulous! You have a painting that could sell lots of prints. I love the colors....

climber-man
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Top notch Marie!

tlmarchi
06-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Great work greensyster!!!

Hillriver
06-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Ahh,yes, the colours. This is the outback all right. Heck with the pup and the moniker, it's a winner. I especially like the way the rider is silhouetted against the sunlight.

greensyster
06-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Kathleen - OK that settles it - the signature stays put! Thank you :)

Carol - I hope you are a profit dear girl! And thank you.

Dana - any one of those adjectives would have thrilled me! Thank you.

Allan - LOL Yep that signature is going to stay so that in years to come I can look back and enjoy the memory of all the posts about it :smug:

Lastborn - as one lastborn to another :wave: But the signature stays! :lol:

Jim - Lovelyt words for me to read - thank you so much. I dont do prints yet cos I figure prints should be left until one is at least near the top of one's ability. And immodestly :crossfingers: :lol: I hope I am not there yet!

Brian - :) I will have to do a marine scene next to stop coughing from the dust!

Lavon - Thank you! Was fun doing it too.

Vic - Thank you - I love our outback and couldn't wait to get out of the city and onto a bit of land when we retired! Bye the way, the dog died and turned into a fient cow - talk about your magic! :lol: