PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Point Lighthouse demonstration

Starsprite
09-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Well, here is my attempt at the Sandy Point Lighthouse demonstration by George Simmons. I sort of followed the instructions for a little while then just kind of went out on my own. lol. I dont follow instructions well.

It's 9" x 12" on Canson Montval CP block
MaimeriBlu & WN paints

It looks much brighter and colorful in person too! :)

comments/critiques welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2002/sandypoint.jpg

taghera
09-26-2002, 09:54 PM
Patty...put a lot more contrasts in it....make your distant hills bluer....all in all a very good effort....:)

Sandy1
09-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Really nice painting Starsprite. I agree about the shading, once that is added you will definitely have a winner.
Sandy

Becky-Bob
09-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Nicely done. Everyone seems to find that George Simmons tutorial. It's a good one to follow.

Starsprite
09-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I added more blue to the background mountains and more color to the grasses and sandy path. The sand looks way more orange here than it is really but I'm still not happy with the color of it... what colors would you use for it? Thanks!

Lise
09-30-2002, 03:46 PM
Hi Patty. Love how loosely you painted this, and the color of the sky and sea. I think the sand looks too orangey (it may just be the scanner) now, though. Is it a liftable color? It would have worked like magic in small thin washes here and there. I'll also be interested in others' suggestions about where to go from here.

tigre255
10-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Hi Patty. I like this but have to agree with Lise. Beautiful scene and well done......

Gia
10-06-2002, 05:07 PM
try to lift some of that orange, and put a bit orange into the green
and vice versa.....a great way to do sand is to splash some paint
with a stiff brush...toothbrush I use.....I love the sky!
:)

ArcticRose
10-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Patty you did a beautiful job on the lighthouse and sky!
Haven't seen the tutorial,should check it out..
:D

mariela
10-06-2002, 07:07 PM
:) Your sky, lighthouse, little boat are marvelous!!!
I agree with the others about the sand, and...... why the orizon goes down to the left???
I like your interpratation of the tutorial. It has a personal style!

Starsprite
10-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks Mariela...I certainly do have my own personal style :D
I toned down the sandy paths and added a little more color to the water and flag pole...I know its not perfect...but I think it's better! Thanks for the suggestions!:)

mariela
10-08-2002, 08:28 AM
:) :clap: Hi Patty! it's much better i think!
If you add some more shadows in the grass, i think it will help the foreground really pop!

Alan Cross
10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi Patty something else you can do to improve it is more shadows on the lighthouse the top is fine but that needs to carry down the side of the light house also make some of the grass go over the path to break up that line.
Alan :)

Starsprite
10-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks Alan...yes I do see what you mean. I think I will just try this whole demonstration again and see if I can apply all the suggestions and what I have learned from doing it to the new painting. I really dont like the flag pole...it looks sloppy.... I had trouble lifting off some of the dark blue that came off my brush on the narow line..in a hurry!

Alan Cross
10-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi Again Patty one more thing on the flag pole then if that bothers you....when I paint something like that I always try and do it in one fast movement that way it always looks decisve, if you slowly move up the flag pole its will almost always look shaky. Good luck on your next try!
Alan :)