PDA

View Full Version : Storing pastel paintings - aargh

Elena in Exeter
06-12-2010, 06:29 AM
How do you all store your paintings without the surfaces touching?

Thanks

Elena

helenh
06-12-2010, 07:08 AM
A foam core backing, then either a mat or a sheet of Glassine on the painting and the whole thing into a clear bag.

Donna T
06-12-2010, 08:08 AM
This topic comes up often, Elena. Here are some threads with ideas for you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316729

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503692

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610222&highlight=pastel+storage

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598017&highlight=pastel+storage

Elena in Exeter
06-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks - I thought there'd probably be something out there! Now I need to find out what Glassine is and if we have the equivalent in the UK!

Elena

Studio-1-F
06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks - I thought there'd probably be something out there! Now I need to find out what Glassine is and if we have the equivalent in the UK! Elena

Yep, you do. Here's an example. (http://www.pegasusart.co.uk/759/Pegasus-Art-Supplies-Glassine-Paper-Sheets-40gsm-50x75cm.html)

Jan

Sonni
06-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I just toss them in a box until the box is full, then do a search, sieze, recycle or burn. The survivors are covered with glassine or tracing paper with a matboard or foam board inbetween,clamped together and nothing moves--until the next search, sieze...

*Deirdre*
06-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I get mine from various UK places...Heaton Cooper (http://www.heatoncooper.co.uk/eshop1/product.php?xProd=680)is one

bcorll
06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Haven't put it together yet, but my plan is:
A sheet of glassine taped to the back of the pastel, draped over the front, folded and taped again, then stored between two large sheets of Gatorbord which are held together by duct tape or book tape at the bottom and bulldog clamps at the top. Easy to do, should protect my work quite nicely. Wouldn't want to carry it into a gallery that way for show and tell, though. :)

Westerngirl
06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Y'all are so organized! :rolleyes: I'll never be able to discipline myself to do that!

I pin mine up all over my studio walls. Sometimes they are 3 deep! It forces me to view them, judge them, make changes. When I'm finally satisfied with one, I'll frame it and cart it off to a gallery. If it doesn't sell, I cart it to another gallery. If it still doesn't sell, I cart it home and decide either to keep it in my personal collection, give it to a family member, or take it out of its frame & throw it into a box. Maybe I'll look thru that box years down the road & say, "Gee, I've gotten much better!" (hopeful thinking, here!)

This is one reason why houseguests (unless they know me really well and I'm very comfortable with them!) are totally banned from seeing my studio! :eek:

Elena in Exeter
06-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you all, and Jan for the link - I'll save that one! What I'd really like is a plan chest but they are sooo expensive. I'll have to sell a couple more portraits!!

Elena

Sonni
06-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Y'all are so organized! :rolleyes: I'll never be able to discipline myself to do that!

I pin mine up all over my studio walls. Sometimes they are 3 deep! It forces me to view them, judge them, make changes. When I'm finally satisfied with one, I'll frame it and cart it off to a gallery. If it doesn't sell, I cart it to another gallery. If it still doesn't sell, I cart it home and decide either to keep it in my personal collection, give it to a family member, or take it out of its frame & throw it into a box. Maybe I'll look thru that box years down the road & say, "Gee, I've gotten much better!" (hopeful thinking, here!)

This is one reason why houseguests (unless they know me really well and I'm very comfortable with them!) are totally banned from seeing my studio! :eek:

When does burning come into the equation...:D :D :D

adventureartist
06-15-2010, 02:05 AM
I use these cardboard portfolios that I buy occasionally,(prices keep going up!) and since the 1970's when I started pastels, I have been dating each portfolio by the year and storing them away. Lately I have used foam board also as it is cheaper than the portfolios and I can use them to transport works to clients or to the framer. But those take up more space. When I was young and traveling for a living my Mother was kind enough to store them for me, and when we settled down here in Arizona and Mom moved she brought them over and I have still continued the practice, although now I use glassine instead of archival tissue paper between paintings. Recently I was able to start framing the finest of each year and was offered a one woman showing in April and March this year for a retrospective exhibit of my works. I am so very thankful for the opportunity to do that show and thankful that my dear Mother kept all those portfolios the years I was unable to do so.
I do go through my works and recycle paper into new paintings or just clear out the pieces that just never will work. I also recycle the glassine by just wiping the pastel residue off and storing them too. Saving the best paintings has been such a wonderful way to document my life. Same thing with my Mother who was an artist and my Grandmother. Now that they have passed on, it is comforting to have the paintings they did during different times in their lives. I can remember the times when they actually painted some of them when I was a child. Ha, I even still have Mom's old paper portfolio with her watercolors in it. With her passing from cancer unexpectedly, it has become even more precious.
The investment of glassine (which is more economical by the roll) and foam board, and an occasional new portfolio is well worth it!

Westerngirl
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Drusilla, what a wonderful story, and what a wonderful mother!:heart:

Paula Ford
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I use tracing paper taped to the back of the painting with blue tape (low tack tape). Most of my paintings are on pastelbord or uart bonded to board so I just either stack them flat on top of eachother, or stand them up in any corner I can find.

PeggyB
06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
As stated in a previous post, mine are wrapped in glissine with about an inch extra glissine at the top then clipped to pants hangers and stored in the studio closet until ready to frame. Several paintings can be hung on one hanger depending upon how large they are. Since it is the glassine that is being held by the clip it doesn't matter how thick the support is; on foam board or pastelboard it doesn't matter. Glissine is strong enough to support the weight.

Peggy

Greenbrier33
06-26-2010, 10:59 AM
This is a great thread because I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to transport my paintings back to the U.S. from Iraq. I leave here in July, and it will be a long, jostled journey. Lots of bumps along the way, so to speak.

Since there isn't time to get any of these supplies (glassine or bags) by mail, I will have to devise a way to separate the works, secure them to the inside of a cardboard box, then pack. Should be interesting to see how they make it.

David