PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Trees?

paintalot
06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I wanted to work with reflections in water and thought this photo would certainly offer that opportunity. I started it a couple of months ago and just got back to it this past week or so and am thinking it is done but will wait to see the reaction...am wondering if the left side ground should have more colour? I kind of like it as is. C and C welcome.

MtLookout
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Suzanne,

I really like the total look of this. The only thing that I would do is to go deeper with the dark bark of the beaver trees. You already have the other trees getting lighter as they recede. The darker bark would really play well off of the lighter chewed parts of the tree creating greater contrast, which I believe is your COI. Good stuff.

Tom

paintalot
06-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks Tom...will work on that.

Srishti
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
You did an excellent job! I like it...As Tom said... go darker with the forground trees :thumbsup:

paintalot
06-13-2010, 11:16 AM
And thank you too Srishti. I have gone over the forground trees with a wash of davys grey and van dyke brown and brightened up the chewed trunks a little and diddled here and there and think thats it. Will post this when matted in the studio. Thanks for your guidance and compliments. :wave:

uneekfish
06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I like it very much, though my talent is not up to yours, I still know what I like!...

I do have a newbie question, it almost appears that you have the work taped to a hunk of paneling. is that the case? I am always looking for cheap "homegrown" ways that people do things...

Look forward to seeing the matted version... :clap:

Harl

paintalot
06-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks Harl, I think you're doing some nice work and we're all getting something from looking at each others stuff. As for that hunk of paneling I had posted before what I use "I attach my paper to a plywood board..half inch thick.(finshed one side.) I use glue back brown postal tape, so cut the finished piece off after its done.
I have two boards and they have drawer pulls attached to the top so I can carry the piece and work outside or in my shed. " I have another 3/8 inch board for smaller pieces.
I don't know if they even sell glue back paper tape anymore but its great to use. Holds your paper very flat. I got two rolls , one 3 inch and the other 1 inch about 13 years ago...they were really big and have been using them ever since. Will check out the stationary stores and post office.

Naturesway
06-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Oh I really like this !!

MtLookout
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Suzanne,

The painting really came off well. Great job.

Boy those plywood boards sound heavy. I use the same gummed brown tape but with 1/2 inch "gator" board. It's like foam core board but much lighter, sturdier and impervious to water, so I can reuse them over and over again.

Tom

AmyLC
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Harl,

You can go to a Home Depot (or similar) and buy a sheet of Masonite. It's very thin, smooth on one side, rough on the other and lightweight enough to be portable around your house. They will cut it to whatever size(s) you want for free. Actually they'll make a few cuts for free and then charge you a very small amount for additional cuts. A full sheet is around 6 feet long, I think. From it, you can get a board big enough to tape a full piece of paper and smaller sizes for half-sheets of paper, etc.

paintalot
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Suzanne,

The painting really came off well. Great job.

Boy those plywood boards sound heavy. I use the same gummed brown tape but with 1/2 inch "gator" board. It's like foam core board but much lighter, sturdier and impervious to water, so I can reuse them over and over again.

Tom

Thanks Tom, Natures Way, I enjoyed working on it and now its ready to show at a Garden and nursery center the end of the month, taking some of the other pieces along that I've done this spring.:crossfingers:
The boards are heavy but don't blow over outside which is a good thing.
I will be looking for a piece of "gator" board next visit to the big city, glad to hear that the gummed tape will stick.

Bumpa
06-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Beautiful work
cheers

paintalot
06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Jill!