PDA

View Full Version : New York Plein Airs

Joan T
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I have many sketchbooks/journals...many with a few blank pages at the ends of them. I enjoy plein air painting so I decided to start a new one of paintings I do locally or in NY. I joined a plein air sketch club two weeks ago. Typical of me, I went to the first meeting and then had things to do the last 2 Wednesday nights. This first one was done the night I met with the sketch club at Terry Street Park in Patchogue.

Joan T
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
This Wed. I decided to do a plein air day out in Montauk, NY which is the easternmost point on Long Island. It was about a 1 1/2 hr ride from me, but I knew if I waited any longer all the summer traffic would be out there and it would take me a lot longer. Both of these were done at the Montauk Point State Park. I divided my journal pages into smaller pieces so I wouldn't have to spend an outrageous amount of time working on each one. These are about 3 x 5done in watercolors and ink.

DrDebby
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Joan these are wonderful. I like the park bench. Tho' that lighthouse and those rocks are cool too.

Davkin
06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
These are all great! Are you using a sketchkit with pans, if so which brand? You sure seem to be getting real good coverage.

David

mhimeswc
06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Those last two are terrific, Joan. Not that the first one isn't, but I'd seen that one before. You do so many watercolors on Long Island that you will fill this new sketchbook up in no time. Looking forward to seeing lots of updates.

Mickey

robertsloan2
06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Joan, all three of these are beautiful. I love that second one, the path is so natural and the vegetation looks so great, the ocean so lovely. They're all good but I think that's a favorite by a slim margin. Wonderful paintings. I hope you do more and keep this thread going!

jacquip
06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Joan I always love your watercolours, will be great to see so many in one place. You are so dedicated as well. The sketch club sounds like a great idea. Hope you enjoy it. You have given me a whole new insight to the areas around NY and NJ.

Joan T
06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Debby - Thank you so much.

David - Thanks. These were done with my W&N field kit and my waterbrush.

Mickey - Thanks. I'll just have to remember to bring it along all the time.

Robert - Hope to get more done soon. Thanks.

Jacqui - Glad you enjoy seeing them. Thanks so much.

Vivien Maloney
06-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi Joan - I've only realised you had a Journal in this Journal Forum, good for you. Beautiful watercolour and ink sketches. They are like a breath of fresh air and make me think of Summer which is good (because we're in Winter in New Zealand). Love both of your paintings so hope we see more soon.

purpalia
06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Simply lovely Joan, thank you for sharing!

vhere
06-14-2010, 10:05 AM
those last 2 are lovely - full of fresh air and light :)

ReggieS
06-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Joan,
These are great! You alwaysdo such wonderful sketches! I look forward to following this!

Reggie

Joan T
06-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Vivien - Thanks! I usually just paint on postcard sized paper, but thought I should do at least one journal of my area.

Sandra - Thanks so much!

Vhere - Thanks for looking.

Reggie - I hope to keep it going for a while. Thanks.

These next two paintings were done at Smith Point Park which is on the easternmost end of Fire Island. I go there a lot to paint. Over winter and spring the area got hit hard by storms and a massive amount of the dunes were eroded. Now when I want to sketch the dunes I have to hike up the boardwalk a bit since there are no dunes in front of the beach pavillion any more. The little building in the second one is the roof of the visitors's center.

Continental
06-16-2010, 11:51 AM
These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vivien Maloney
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
These latest 2 are beautiful too. Makes me want to go there.

mhimeswc
06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I love that second one. I can feel the sand between my toes.

DrDebby
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
These beach sketches are great. It's like being there. (I haven't been to the beach in year.) *sigh*

robertsloan2
06-16-2010, 05:43 PM
THese latest two are so beautiful. I love the feel of the beach. You make it so real that I can feel sand under my toes.

Joan T
06-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Jim, Vivien, Mickey, Debby, & Robert - Thanks so much. I was out last evening with a sketch group I joined locally and they were looking through the journal telling me I should do the paintings as larger ones now. I'm not really good about redoing paintings I've done over again for some reason. I'd rather go back to the same spot and repaint it. lol I've done a few more since these but I haven't taken photos of them yet.

JTMB
06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Joan,

I think your pen and wash work is really great! I've always loved that style, but tend to get a bit too detailed when I try to do it. Yours are very nice - I particularly like the lighthouse and rocks.

Joan T
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
John - Thanks. I've found that if I do most of the watercolor first and then add the ink, I don't get as detailed.

Here are two more that I did recently.

I met with a plein air group on Tuesday and we painted at a boat basin. The piece I did there isn't in this journal so I'm not posting it. I didn't get it finished the first day, so I went back the next afternoon. Coming out of the parking lot of the boat basin was this gorgous field of flowers. Of course being me, I had NO CAMERA with me. I pulled over on the grass and sat in the car to paint the next one. I'm surprised it came out as well as it did because I was busy swatting mosquitoes while I was painting.

On Wednesday evening I met with the Patchogue Sketch Club. They meet at 6:30 and sketch until the light starts to fade. The second one was done at a place called Corey Beach which is on the Great South Bay on Long Island. I liked the trees that framed the lifeguard chair.

mhimeswc
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I envy you, having two groups to sketch with. It sounds like fun. I like those loose trees in the background on the landscape, and the beach scene came out really well too.

robertsloan2
06-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Joan, these two are so beautiful. That rocks you have other people to go out sketching with, it must be so much fun. The second one with the lifeguard chair is fantastic, it reminds me of a trip I had years ago with some friends. The field of flowers is lovely and your story makes me smile -- that's happened to me sometimes too. It's so great you were able to paint it that well, it's as if I was there looking over your shoulder. Well done on both of these!

DrDebby
06-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't envy you the mosquitoes, but it's great you have a couple of sketch groups to play with. The flower field is just gorgeous. Great scene of the lifeguard chair framed by trees. You have a good eye for composition.

Jakesgram
06-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Joan!

I've always been a big fan of your pen and wash sketches and these are no exception. Lovely, lively work. One of the things I can learn from you is to not get too detailed and I was interested to hear that you do the watercolor first and add the ink to keep the level of detail down. I will definitely be trying some of those.

Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of sketchbook are you using? I assume it is watercolor paper? What weight is the paper?

I'm always a sucker for your beach scenes, but in addition to those, a couple of my favorites are the lighthouse and the field of flowers. Hope the mosquito's didn't do too much damage.

Jean

vhere
06-19-2010, 04:18 AM
this will make a really nice book - but mosquitos - ugggghhh!!! they love me because I'm fair skinned and I'm allergic to the bites too :(

Joan T
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Mickey, Robert, Debby, Jean & Vivien - Thanks so much for your comments. I am lucky to have recently found two groups to go out plein air painting with. Even if I don't get to sketch with them, it is great to find out new places to go on my own in the future.

Jean - I'm using a spiral Canson book. I'm not sure of the weight of the wc paper since it is out in the trunk of my car. It isn't the greatest paper, but it works well enough for small sketches.

Here is the latest done at Cupsogue Beach yesterday.

mhimeswc
06-19-2010, 11:06 AM
I never heard of Cupsogue Beach, but it looks so inviting! Is that our family beach umbrella that I see? Nice sketch!

Davkin
06-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I love this last beach scene! You really captured the atmosphere there.

That's interesting how you ink after the WC. I ought to try that, but I like to use my ink sketch as a guide, maybe I need to get over that.

David

DrDebby
06-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh, I like this one too. Lovely beach scene.

robertsloan2
06-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Beautiful sketch of Cupsogue Beach. I love how you get the vegetation and the feel of the sand between clumps of plants. That's so cool how your scenes always read true. You're so lucky having two groups to go plein air with!

jacquip
06-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Joan some more wonderful pieces here. Your beach scenes are so relaxed and inviting. It is funny seeing the one with the umbrellas, it brought back memories of my childhood at the beach. We are not allowed to have umbrellas on the beaches now, supposedly they are a danger. I do remember seeing them flying down the beach in a strong wind, the pole looking like a javeline. I guess they have a point. (no pun intended there)

How great to have 2 groups to sketch with, not that you seem to need any motivation to get out and about. Would be great to share with others. Thanks for sharing with us.

vhere
06-20-2010, 08:54 AM
It makes me want to be at the coast - I like the cool coloured sand, so many people make it too warm and yellow but you've got it beautifully.

eyepaint
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Wonderful pieces!!!

this will make a really nice book - but mosquitos - ugggghhh!!! they love me because I'm fair skinned and I'm allergic to the bites too :(
me too...

vhere
06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
itchy itchy - and ugly and uncomfortable :>( big red weals :>(

but nice work so worth the suffering!

eyepaint
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
itchy itchy - and ugly and uncomfortable :>( big red weals :>(

I know the feeling. Skeeters must think my blood is candy :)

Joan T
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Mickey - Thanks. It reminds me of our umbrella and the picnic jug with the rubber cap.

David - Thanks. I sometimes do the ink first but I definitely notice there is a difference in how the painting comes out.

Debby - Thank you.

Robert - Thanks. I've been having a lot of fun.

Jacqui - Thanks. I have an anchor for my umbrella. It screws into the sand and it really holds well.

Vivien - Thank you. I usually am candy to the skeeters, but that day they flew into the car and didn't bother me.:)

EP - Thanks so much.

Joan T
06-24-2010, 02:33 PM
This first painting was done at Smith Point Beach, but I found a spot with a view across the bay towards the mainland.

The second painting was done at Robert Moses Park which has a lighthouse that I've painted many times. This time I went up on the bird viewing platform and faced the ocean. I could see a bit of the beach with the umbrellas from there.

robertsloan2
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Joan, both of these are so splendid. You've painted so many beach landscapes that it flows like my Ari sketches, you know what to look for and how to balance the scene, your colors are so effective, it always feels like I'm right out there. They draw me in and I remember sand between my toes, it's gorgeous.

vhere
06-24-2010, 03:52 PM
lovely

does the tide go out a long way there? where I paint in Norfolk is a little like this in places and the tide goes out about a mile. The beaches are much steeper in Cornwall so the tide doesn't go out too far.

ReggieS
06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Joan,
That is too bad about the dunes eroding. These are beautiful sketches!

Reggie

DrDebby
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Great beach scenes.

Eye
06-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Joan, it is so nice to see your beach scenes all together. I love them all.

Vivien Maloney
06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Joan - These a beautiful clear watercolor paintings with real atmosphere - love them!

jacquip
06-27-2010, 12:32 AM
More wonderful beach scenes. I really like the view in the one from Smith Point.

mhimeswc
06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
I like the one with the beach view and the little tiny umbrellas, and the even tinier people. It's the kind of scene I always picture when I think of the beach. Sunshine, water and sand, and lots of color. :-)

Joan T
06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Robert - Thanks. I enjoy doing all the views of the beach.

Vhere - Thanks. Our tides aren't too drastic, but the water gets deep quickly.

Reggie - Thank you. They were able to replenish some of the sand, but the dune grasses are gone and there is nothing to hold the sand there for long.

Debbie - Thank you.

Ai - I'm hoping to do some sketches that aren't beach related. Thanks.

Vivien - Many thanks.

Jacqui - I tend to go to the same beaches a lot. Thanks.

Mickey - Thanks so much!

Here are a few new ones.
I was meeting two friends for dinner upstate and was early so I stopped at a local park in Yorktown Heights to paint the forest.

The second painting was done at Smith Point Park. It was a foggy morning and the views were severely limited. Coming across the bridge, you could barely see anything.

By the time I painted this last one, the fog had lifted and the visibility was much better. I had to capture the lady and her son as they were walking.

virgo68
06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Joan, these are great but I keep returning to the forest view - it has a certain liveliness about it that makes me wish I was there!

mhimeswc
06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
These are all great! I love the forrest one - it reminds me of camping. The fog in the beach one is just perfect. I've seen that look so many times. And I love the mom walking with her little boy too.

DrDebby
06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
These are just wonderful. I like the fog one, it really looks like a foggy day at the beach.

Davkin
06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
More great sketches. I like them all, but for some reason I like the 2nd one the most.

David

prismalos
06-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Great foliages! I especially liked "Fog Over the Dunes". :)

Joan T
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Jackie - Thank you.

Mickey - Thanks. I probably painted more than I actually could see in the one of the fog.

Debby - The fog was interesting to paint.

David - Thanks!

Raymond - Thank you.

Hopefully I'll get out with the Patchogue Sketch Club tonight and do something else to post.

vhere
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Fog over the dunes is beautifully atmospheric - my favourite :)

Joan T
07-03-2010, 10:36 AM
The first sketch below was done Wed evening with the sketch group I go out with. This was the gazebo in the little park in Brookhaven. There was more to sketch, but the light wasn't good enough. I'll have to go back and paint the little pond and the bridge over it.

The second sketch is the lightkeeper's house at the Robert Moses Lighthouse. (Or that's what I think it is.) The lighthouse is actually attached to the left side of the building, but I decided not to include it.

jacquip
07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Joan I really enjoy your beach scenes, you get so much variety in them. The foggy morning is very good. I actually went for a walk down the local beach this morning but it was too cold and wet to do any sketching. The mist was so bad I couldn't see across the bay either, great atmosphere though. The gazebo is very nice, love the rock walls on the lightkeepers house.

DrDebby
07-03-2010, 02:48 PM
The gazebo in the park is lovely. Like the stonework on the house.

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Joan, the lightkeeper's house is excellent. I like the stone texture. The sky is lovely and the composition's good. The gazebo painting is lovely. I hadn't seen that before either.

I saw the other three earlier on another thread. I love that view in the park with the massive trees, that draws me right in. So does the one on the dunes. The third with the figures is just as well done, it's personal taste that I'm fonder of scenes without figures. You did them well.

Wonderful paintings.

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Beautiful watercolor sketches Joan! I love both of them, the gazebo is great and so is the light-house keepers house and the shadows on it are wonderful. Your watercolors are so clear and fresh - they make me want to go there.

JamieWG
07-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Joan, I'm so happy to see these wonderful NY sketches. What kind of sketchbook is it? It seems to take the paint really well. You are such an inspiration. I like your limited use of the pen; you seem to use it just for a little more definition where needed, and I think that works very well, and showcases the watercolor.

I do have a few favorites among these: the lighthouse, pathway to the water, high dune, and scene with all the umbrellas. Great stuff. I would love to see your setup and what you take with you.

The time frame for this group, from 6:30 to sunset, is really ideal. You get the best of what the late day light has to offer!

Jamie

virgo68
07-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Your sketches are nice and "fresh" looking, the colours are so clean. What a great sketchbook you have..... :)

TaniaBee
07-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Joan, your sketchbook/journal is gorgeous.

I love your use of watercolour & all your paintings are so beautiful.

I particularly like the Cupsogue Beach scene & the Gazibo - really stunning!!

Joan T
07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Jacqui - Thanks. It was fun to paint the foggy scene, but I couldn't include much because I couldn't see much. lol

Debby - Thanks so much.

Robert - I'm glad you like the landscapes. I'll have to do a Venice journal when I'm gone.

Vivien - Thanks you!!

Jamie - Thanks. The sketchbook is just a spiral Canson/Montval watercolor book (with the black cover). The paper is fine for plein air and doing them this way with 2 to a page makes them go faster. I've enjoyed going out with the groups. One group was supposed to go to an herb farm today, but it's much too hot to sit anywhere where I can't walk to the water and take a dip.

Jackie - Thank you.

Tania - Thanks so much.

Joan T
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
This first one is of Smith Point Bridge which I take to get to the beach on the very eastern end of Fire Island.

The second one was done at that same beach, which has a memorial to the TWA flight 200 that crashed off the shore of the beach. They have a gorgeous garden at the memorial. This contains some of the flowers and the view of the dunes behind them.

Davkin
07-06-2010, 08:51 PM
A couple more great sketches Joan. I especially like how you handled the bridge in the distance.

David

DrDebby
07-06-2010, 11:00 PM
More beautiful sketches. Very well done.

vhere
07-07-2010, 09:01 AM
you are building up a really nice series - you could make a book of the area from these.

Joan T
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks David, Debby, & Vivien! It has been fun doing these and I need to do some of areas that are not beach related too. lol

robertsloan2
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
The bridge is great, Joan. I love the scene, it's powerful and moving. The memorial garden is gorgeous too. Even when you're not doing beach scenes, your landscapes are wonderful.

Joan T
07-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Robert - Since I'm a beach lover that is where I usually am for part of any summer day. Walking around Venice all summer will be different for me.

Here is another entry done at Robert Moses State Park with the Fire Island Lighthouse in the background.

JamieWG
07-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Joan, thanks you for the info on your sketchbook. I really like that last sketch with the lighthouse!

Jamie

robertsloan2
07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Joan, this one is great. The beach scene is lovely in itself but that lighthouse becomes a great focal point. Wonderful landscapes.

DrDebby
07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Like how you painted the sand on this one. The lighthouse is a great background element.

jacquip
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
You always do stunning work Joan. I love all the beach scenes. I am amazed at how much variation and interest you can include, I live very close to a beach and just don't see the same potential. Maybe I need to look closer. But there aren't any great lighthouse, etc. That last one is a new fav. Love the height of the dunes and the lighthouse showing through.

I hope we get to see some of your sketches while you are in Venice. How lucky are you? :)

Vivien Maloney
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Love the latest watercolors especially the lighthouse. It will be so different in Venice for you but plenty of water there to sketch and the light on the water is so different. I know you'll enjoy it and can't wait to see your sketches from Venice. Hope you get your computer sorted so you can keep in touch.

Joan T
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Jamie, Robert, Debbie, Jacqui, & Vivien - Thanks so much for your comments. I think I have finally figured out how to upload while I'm gone as long as the computer there has a USB port. I got a memory card reader and it works from here...now Italy is another story. lol I can't post here since I won't be able to resize the pictures, but I will try to post to my blog, so please come and check there.

www.watercolorsbyjoan.blogspot.com

Here are two more I just did in my journal.

DrDebby
07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
The dock and reeds is just precious. The view to the mainland is gorgeous. Lovely, lovely sketches.

Jakesgram
07-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Joan!

So many more gorgeous views since I last peeked in here to your sketchbook. I LOVE your style - and I'm a big beach person too, so I always love the beach scenes. I think my favorite is actually Fog Over the Dunes, as is it so soft and atmospheric. I am so tempted to wander down that little grassy path and disappear into the mist!

I also really love the Smith Point Park. And the Fire Island Lighthouse. I had to laugh because my first thought (from a WEST coast perspective) was - ah, just before sun down. Then I realized since you are on the EAST coast, this was a morning scene! Either way, it's gorgeous!

Jean

Davkin
07-15-2010, 12:07 AM
More great sketches Joan.

David

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Joan, these two are so gorgeous. I love the flowers beside the water in the second one. It's beautiful. The little buildings in the distance give it so much depth. The first one with that worn little dock is serene and relaxing. Both of them are finite perfection. I love your watercolor landscapes.

vhere
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
these are lovely and have a real sense of place

Vivien Maloney
07-18-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi Joan; Love the landing watercolor and the Smith Point one is lovely also. I will check out your blog. Have a great time in Venice. Best wishes.

Joan T
09-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Debby, Jean, David, Robert, & Viv - Thanks so much. As you can see I am a definite beach person! lol

I don't know why the previous images that I posted aren't appearing for me. I wonder if something happened to them while WetCanvas was working on the site.

Here are a few new ones that I did since I came back from Venice. This one was done on an outing with the Patchogue Sketch Club. They meet on Wed evenings, and now that the days are getting shorter, our sketch time is getting shorter too. We've been discussing what we will do once it is too cold to sketch outdoors. Anyway, this is the Congretational Church on Main Street in Patchogue.

Joan T
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
The other day when the weather wasn't so great I went riding around looking for a spot to paint. Living so close to the south shore I always tend to gravitate to water. lol This was done from the front seat of my car in the parking lot of a restaurant which also had a marina. Yes, you can dock and go inside the restaurant for a meal or drinks.

Joan T
09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
This Wed our sketch club met at the Patchogue Cemetery. We only had a short time to sketch because of the short days so I used my Lamy pen and waterbrush instead of my watercolors.

Joan T
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
The north fork of Long Isand is home to many wineries and farm stands. Since the wineries came into being, the farm stands have become more upscale and expensive. lol But they are still fun to sketch. This was done at the Bay View Farm Market in Aquebogue.

Davkin
09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
These are great Joan. I really like your balance of watercolor to ink in these, especially the last one.

David

JTMB
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
More excellent work, Joan! I think my favorites are the first two here, the one with the dock because we have a lot of restaurants out here that are the same way - boat there, tie up and eat. Seattle has one of the highest boats owned per capita numbers in the US. Your sketches do a fabulous job conveying the sense of place.

robertsloan2
09-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Joan, these are so great. The church at Patchogue is one of your best. I like the cemetery angel and the farmer's stand full of sunflowers, that last is so cheery. Gorgeous view of the dock at the marina, pretty great you can tie up there and go to the restaurant and leave by boat.

You do some great travelogue right where you live, not just when you're in Venice!

DrDebby
09-17-2010, 11:16 PM
You are correct. Images went missing during the site migration while you were away. Report this in the missing images thread stickied in this forum. The techs are still working on this.

Your paintings are lovely. It so wonderful that you paint regularly with friends and on your own.

virgo68
09-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Joan - wow! All great stuff (not that I expect any different now...!). I like them all (esp the dock) but I am drawn to the cemetery sketch of the statue, very serene and the last one with the sunflowers is so uplifting.

Joan T
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
David - Thanks. Someti;mes I need to do several layers to get the deeper colors.

John - Thanks. I love places with water views. I'll have to get to Seattle one of these days.

Robert - Thank you. The problem is I do so many paintings that aren't in the sketchbook. We have a lot of places to paint around here.

Debby - Thanks. After doing solo plein airs for so long, it is nice to have a group to go out with from time to time.

Here is my latest from yesterday. The weather forecast was for sunny skies. What we had was cloudy weather and wind. I headed down to the beach anyway. The shack isn't really this crooked. It's my photography. lol This is the Robert Moses State Park lifeguard shack.

vhere
09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
brrrr you've caught the colder weather well

DrDebby
09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Definitely accurate on the cool, cloudy aspect.

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 09:36 PM
The shack looks good, I like the perspective. Great beach scene, so atmospheric. I can feel how chilly and moist the salt air is, that's awesome.

Whisperwood
09-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Love your little beach scene and shack! Sometimes the best times at the beach is when the weather is cloudy, rainy and windy!
Joan, you may have mentioned it somewhere else that I missed but what paints do you use? Are these paintings also 4x6 like your Venice ones?

jacquip
09-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Joan just catching up on your sketchbook. Some more lovely work, I really like the church and market stall. Great beach scene as usual.

RiJoRi
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I chuckled at the restaurant -- when I was growing up in Lindenhurst, we had something like that. But it was a McDonald's! :D

The lifeguard house is quite realistic. I was wondering at the height of the water until I remembered the tides were quite high over the weekend.

Good work!

--Rich

Joan T
09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Vivien - Thanks. It wasn't a nice beach day.

Debby - Thank you!

Robert - Even though I wanted warm sunshine (as predicted) I'm always ready with a sweatshirt just in case. Thanks.

Rachel - These are done in a Canson spiral wc book that is about 5 x 8. I use tape to section off 2 smaller boxes per page. They were painted with my W&N field kit.

Jacqui - Thanks for coming back.

Rich - Thanks. The water was rough from one of the gulf storms heading north. There weren't a lot of people on the beach, but for some reason there were 100s of butterflies flitting about, which I never saw there before.

Bootz
09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Very, very nice! The sand looks soft.

Joan T
09-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Bootz - Thank you.

I got out for a few more plein airs on Long Island this week.

The first one was done at the Suffolk County Farm. They have some fun animals to sketch, and the cows are very cooperative as long as they are eating. lol

The second one was done at the Emmanuel Episcopal Cemetery where I went with the Patchogue Sketch Group on Saturday. I loved that big tree and the two white tombstones.

DrDebby
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
The cow is just darling. Love the expression.

The huge tree is splendid. I can see why it caught your attention.

JTMB
09-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Nicely done on the lifeguard shack and the plein air pieces, Joan! Great cow!

robertsloan2
09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Love the cow, saw that in the Scavenger Hunt as your Cat Substitute. She's cute, even if she's not a cat she's a fuzzy animal. Cool graveyard scene too!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
09-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I can't see anything up to the 19th of september.......sad....... anyway, what I do see is STUNNING (as always!).
LOVE the cow!!!!!!

virgo68
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Great new sketches Joan! I really like that big tree in the cemetry too, some might think it a strange drawing subject but there are some beautiful old cemetries around and the old tombstones that are weathered intrigue me (not to mention some of the statues too, like the one you've done previously). Like some of the others in the forum you have a definite style of your own, it's great seeing your new work.

Joan T
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Debby - Thanks. The farm has some fun animals to draw. I've gone there a few times.

John - Thanks so much.

Robert - Thanks. This graveyard was more interesting than the last one.

Stacey - Sorry they disappeared in the WetCanvas update. I don't know how to get them back. Glad you liked what you could see.

Jackie - Many thanks. Some cemeteries are really interesting with old tombstones, chapels, and statues.

vhere
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
the cool colours are so different from you Venice sketches - showing how well you are observing the particular light and colour of the very different places :)

Joan T
11-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Viv - It is amazing how dramatically different the lighting can be from one place to another.

Here are the last two paintings that will finish this journal. I will be starting a volume II shortly.

"Swan Lake" was painted in the town of Patchogue, close to me when I was out with the Patchogue Sketch Club. Apparently the property we were sitting on while we were painting was private property, not a public park. Someone from the housing development there came to check on what we were doing, and after seeing our work told us we were welcome to use the property any time to sketch.

"Green Avenue Porch" was painted in the town of Sayville. I've painted a few of the houses there before, but lately I've just been painting the boats there. It was fun to do a house there again.

Anyway, this book is complete...now on to the next one!

JTMB
11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Joan - congrats on finishing this fantastic sketchbook! Definitely post your next one as well, I love your watercolor work!

Davkin
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I really like Swan Lake Joan. Great finish to a great sketchbook.

David

virgo68
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Great stuff Joan, I think you could easily publish your sketchbooks - I'd enjoy perusing through it!

The Sayville porch is neat, I like the little bit of bike tyre sticking out! How do you decide whether to add some ink or not? Do you do that on the spot or decide later when you get home and have a look back through your sketchbook?

Joan T
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
John, David, & Jackie - Thanks so much!

Jackie - I usually decide if I'm going to add ink right on the spot. I may add touches of color or a bit more ink when I get home, but mostly I decide on the spot if it will be just wc or with ink added. I don't know what makes me decide to use the ink or not use the ink. Sometimes I have to restrain myself because I think I reach for the ink too often.

vhere
11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Viv - It is amazing how dramatically different the lighting can be from one place to another.

so true - and here it changes by the minute never mind the hour! I've been working on a series of small canvasses for an upcoming show from my Canson/Cornwall sketchbook and it really brings it home seeing them lined up together.

well done for completing :>) it will be great to look back on

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Beautiful finish. I like your water color and ink paintings. I don't think you grab the pen too often. Congrats on a finished sketchbook. Do let us see the next one.

virgo68
11-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks Joan - I reckon they are all winners! But I hear what you are saying, the ink gives it more of an illustative feel I think whereas pure watercolour stands alone as a painting.

seejay
11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Lovely work Joan. :clap:

Unfortunately the early ones weren't showing for me, I'll have to try again.