PDA

View Full Version : Sunsets - mixing blue and yellow w/o getting green

jokomomo
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Greetings from St. Louis. I'm trying to do a sunset that has a wide variety of beautiful colors. I am hitting the problem of my yellows and blues mixing to form greens. (ya think?) Are there colors I should be mixing to create the illusion of both yellow and blue? Should I be putting a color between the blue and yellow?
thanks for your help Joe
And if this has been answered in a previous thread just point me in the right direction

DAK723
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I think that there can be various strategies to avoid this common problem. I usually find that there are some more orange-reds or magentas that I can transition from the blues to the yellows so that the two don't actually touch.

Don

Colorix
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi, warmly welcome to WetCanvas and Pastels!

Are we talking yellow sky near the sun transforming into blue the further away it gets from the sun? In additive colour mixing (light), blue and yellow make a sort of whiteish greyish (at least on a sky). One way to go about it is to start wtih yellow, and then where it starts fading, add a very light pink and let it overlap the edge of the yellow. The light pink will cool and grey the yellow, and when you let the paler blue overlap the pink (even where there is yellow underneath, but test this on a scrap first) the pink will make the very pale blue a hair warmer, and then you can start to gradually deepen the blues. No more green skies!

Charlie

Sonni
06-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Which yellow and which blue? It can be done several ways...carefully scumbling one over the other, side by side and let the eye do the mixing or by using an intermediary color to bridge the change as DAK suggested. It's easier to avoid "green" if your blue is more toward purple than green and the yellow is not lemon yellow. As Charlie said, test it out on a scrap, first. What you perceive as green may not look green, depending on the surrounding colors.