PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Sheep Lamb

freeskier89
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-09-2010/126656_sheeppainting_s.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-09-2010/126656_sheep2_s.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bigho
Sheep Lamb
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This took like what felt like ages... but overall, I'm happy about how it tu
ed out. The second picture is the quick drawing and watercolor mass-in I used to get a sense of it before i jumped in with oils.

In some ways I think it'd be stronger without that shadowed grass because it pulls your eyes to the feet, but then he'd be floating and it wouldn't match the strong light source on lamb.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Corby
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
no....I have no crits, I think you have been quite successful with it. It is charming. I can make the observation however that it is quite angular in its forms, almost a step toward cubism. For realism the angularities need to be softened to roundnesses. If the roundnesses are taken too far then we get mired in cutesy! It is nice as it is.

song_bird
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree, charming and effective! :cat:

TScottDove
06-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Beautiful in all aspects; composition and color, especially. Breathtaking, really.

markr
06-10-2010, 02:30 AM
handled very well, like a painters painter ... I'm wondering what the story is re his rear right leg.

greensyster
06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
The right dot of shadow beside his rear foot seems odd considering light source.

Idea is gorgeous!

Looks a bit like a sandstone carved chappie at present. Needs some narrow planes between the light and darks to smooth, but without loosing your signature style, the flow.

freeskier89
06-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks a ton for the nice responses guys... you all brought up a bunch of good things that I neglected to think about enough.

@Corby / Greensyster regarding Angularity/Edges:
I'm really glad you pointed this out. I think some times i dislike stuff that is too soft or rounded so much that I over compensate as I have here. I think like you suggested greensyster, a couple of thin strokes to round the transitions from light to shadow would help a lot.

@Greensyster regarding shadow dot. Great eye haha. Got a little out of control with the dark green apparently. I'll go in switch that to light green.

@markr Thanks! Regarding leg... Yeah when i looked at the reference at first it took me a little bit to figure out what was going on too. Its right behind the left front one so its only visible as a sliver. And I think the bottom angle inaccuracy on the trapezoidal shadow chunk there makes it look like the bottom of the foot should be visible. It should look more like a parallelogram

DanaLJensen
06-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Just gorgeous. I don't mind the angularity. Makes him/her look like a freshly shawn sheep. Great job!

tgsloth
06-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Very painterly and I love the watercolor study. I do agree with Marie's crit and also suggest that lightening the background at the top and pushing the hue towards blues will give a better sense of depth. You've made a somewhat realistic ground on which the lamb stands but the background above the ground is too monocolor and monotone above the animal's knees, I feel.

billmahler
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Masterful. I wouldn't change a thing.

crazywoman53
06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I think all the suggested improvements have been covered already so I will just add I think it is nice. Been awhile since I have seen one of these little guys.

gaensanger
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Wonderful palette and contrasts. This is beautiful!

climber-man
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Wonderful, the forms stand out for easy reading!

Bis007
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
He sure stands out from the usual!. I can almost feel his bone structure-nicely done. Simplicity is always beautiful - and this little lamb is a winner!.:music: