PDA

View Full Version : waterways project

vhere
06-09-2010, 02:24 AM
I decided a couple of years back to do a slow burn project on the local waterways - it's been very slow burn! I really need to get out and do some more.

The work is divided between 3 sketchbooks - one A3 watercolour paper book an A4 cartridge paper book and a little (a rather gorgeous!) hand made paper, leather bound book. I'll keep the work in one place though as they are all the same project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2010/53888-e__frog_island_april_07_016.jpg

This one is a charcoal sketch of an inner city area of old factories - the river and canal split here at the weir, they often join each other for stretches. This in in the A3 book across the 2 pages, so quite a big drawing.

I planned to look at the canal and river in the city and villages, streams, ponds, pools. reservoirs and flooded quarries - anything watery :)

prismalos
06-09-2010, 03:14 AM
Your water studies have always been great, Vivien! Great charcoal sketch on this one. Looking forward to more, don't worry if it's slow :D

JTMB
06-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Very nicely done, Vivien! Sounds like a fun project.

Nancys
06-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't think I could do this. It looks very difficult and you've done a great job.

Yorky
06-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Canals and rivers and adjacent buildings make good subject Vivien. I will follow your project.

Doug

JamieWG
06-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Very good sketch, Vivien, and a great theme! For charcoal or pastel, do you use fixative on the pages when you're done?

Jamie

mhimeswc
06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
An interesting project. I like anything involving water myself, so I will be checking to see your additional sketches.

robertsloan2
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Viv, that is so magnificent. I love the atmosphere in your charcoal factory scene -- the pale window sashes on the distant building with its dark windows, the lettering for the Piggott & Sons sign, the tree on the left with its wild branches, the swirling water -- it's all perfect. Very accurate and detailed without being overdetailed, everything flows so natural and the balance of the scene as a whole is incredible. The extra-wide panoramic format helps give a sense of how overpowering those buildings and that district are. Even the sky looks overcast, cloudy, smoggy. It's perfect.

Looking forward to more, this one's gorgeous!

DrDebby
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
You do water so well. The canal panorama is magnificent. Looking forward to seeing more.

vhere
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
thank you everyone for the lovely comments :)

Yes Jamie I do fix the charcoal so it doesn't turn into a soup :) It's fine then.

A friend did a US version along with me and has done some lovely work - she has a canoe and paddles the streams where she lives and gets different views entirely.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2010/53888-e__frog_island_watercolour_and_cp_copy.jpg

This is a smaller watercolour and coloured pencil version in the A4 book

JamieWG
06-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes Jamie I do fix the charcoal so it doesn't turn into a soup :) It's fine then.

Thanks Vivien. I haven't fixed the few I've done in my book, but I will! From time to time I've been tempted to do something in pastel. I guess as long as I fix it, it can live in the book.

Nice color work!

Jamie

robertsloan2
06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I like the colour version of it too. The atmosphere's completely different, almost cheery, very real and a little exotic. Beautiful. What a striking contrast and both of them the same view!

DrDebby
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Interesting seeing the same scene in color. Very nice.

Davkin
06-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Interesting exercise to do both a b&w version and a color version of the same scene. They are both great but I really like the color version. What exactly on that one is done with CP?

David

vhere
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
thanks everyone :)

it's difficult to explain or remember exactly what is cp! I tend to use it get subtle changes in colour, haze over with a totally different colour, sometimes to bring out the sharpness of lines in man made things.

There is yellow on the tree that was growing below the wall to bring more light and glow into it - some rich siennas on rusty metal parts - some amber/earth touches to enhance the water ..... just touches here and there

At some point I'll try to do a step by step so you can see how I use it to 'push' images that last bit that, for me, brings them together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2010/53888-e__glen_at_frog_island.jpg

At one point my friend stood right in front of the view as I sketched - so I drew her :)

DrDebby
06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Does your friend know? Nice sketch of your friend. You got a lot of sketch mileage out of that view.

vhere
06-11-2010, 04:25 PM
yes, she's seen it :) she apologised for being in the way when she realised - but it was fun to do the quick sketch anyway.

Luckily as there is a riverside path, there were seats there, handy for sitting and drawing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2010/53888-e__union_wharf_mkt_harb_sepia_cp_copy.jpg

In the A4 book - done with Lyra coloured pencils (a set called Skin Tones). It's a canal basin off the Grand Union Canal

robertsloan2
06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Your sketch of your friend is great. I love this one with the canal boats and the houses beyond them, it's gorgeous. Great warm tone to the whole drawing from using the Skin Tones set, that's a beautiful palette.

DrDebby
06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
The canal drawing is splendid. Reminds of an old sepia tone photo.

vhere
06-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Yes they do have that 'old' effect. They are really nice to draw with because they range from soft apricots through siennas to mauveish cool mid brown to deep dark brown. So you've got a warm/cool play.

If doing portraits with them I'd want to add other colours though.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_aerial_sketch_pencil_2.jpg

This one is a sketch from Google birds eye view - I was sketching from near that bridge on the left, near the trees at the bottom of the drawing.

You can see how the canal and river divide here (they sometimes join up) and the canal goes across at the top, while the river comes over the weir.

jacquip
06-12-2010, 04:52 AM
These are all wonderful. Great subjects to draw. The skin tone set does give a lovely warm old fashioned feel to the sketch. I like how you took the other angle from Google, nice one.

robertsloan2
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
That bird's eye view is great. So beautiful -- and cool to see where you were out drawing from above. Awesome!

Joan T
06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I like your idea of sketching along the waterways. There are always such interesting and varied things along them. I love the charcoal and then the wc version of that first scene. Great job on your friend too.

DrDebby
06-12-2010, 12:24 PM
The bird's eye view of the same scene adds a whole new depth to the drawing you've been doing.

vhere
06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
thank you all :>)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2010/53888-e__canal_trees_snow_jan_10_002.jpg

this one is on a snowy day in the watermeadows by the canal on the edge of the city

Davkin
06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Very nice. Water color and CP as well?

David

DrDebby
06-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Excellent job on the foliage. You can really feel the cold temperatures.

robertsloan2
06-14-2010, 04:29 AM
I love this one. It's so bitter cold out and so true, so real. I can feel the wind just looking at it and love both the tangled foliage and the sharp brittle stems coming up out of the ground. That's incredible.

mhimeswc
06-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I like the way you zeroed in on the warm tree and foliage with the cool snow in the background. A nice intimate landscape!

vhere
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
thank you :)

It was actually a monoprint (in oils) worked into with graphite pencil and a bit of oil pastel.

The monoprint was painted onto acetate and then printed into the book and then worked into.

In the little leather bound book I did a couple of lino prints this way.

Here they are:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2010/53888-e__lino_print_and_willow_sketch_leather_sketchbook.jpg
this one is the original sketch of the tree and the plain, traditionally done version of the lino cut that I made.

I don't think lino cuts like this suit my work well - too hard edged and graphic. so, I played about inking the plate up with oil paint and brushes instead of a roller and ink.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2010/53888-e__lino_print_and_cp_in_leather_skethcbook.jpg

it's printed on one side and then I worked into it and carried the marks across the double page spread.

then I printed it on tracing paper, put the print in the book with the ink facing down, so that it shines through, and again worked into it with a double page spread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2010/53888-e__inoprint_and_col_pencil_in_leather_sketchbook.jpg

I like playing around with ideas :)

robertsloan2
06-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Viv, those are fantastic! I love what you did with the lino print, all those variations. I used to like doing lino prints and do have the cutting tools, but I'd have to get new linoleum because I haven't done it in years. There was a warning when I got the linoleum pieces that they'd harden in about a year and I shouldn't use them unless they're under a year old.

So that makes sense, and next time I'll get one of the mounted pieces and use it right away instead of a bag of small unmounted ones without the wood backing.

DrDebby
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Love the variations. Each so different, yet starting from the same point.

vhere
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM

you can get softer lino now (vinyl I suppose) and it's MUCH easier to cut.

You can see the series of variations I did with the print here (http://vivienb.blogspot.com/2009/02/lino-monoprints-so-far.html)

it's the only way I really enjoy lino printing, to experiment non-traditionally

vhere
06-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I never put wood backing on lino - I know you can but none of the printmakers I know do that

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/53888-aylestone_meadows_winter_packhorse_bridge.jpg

This one is in the small leather bound, hand made paper sketchbook in charcoal and coloured pencil. Winter on a cold day.

It's part of a medieval packhorse bridge across flood meadows where a couple of rivers and the canal meet.

Here are aerial views done from maps live birds eye view.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_aerial_sketch_pencil_small_book.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_aerial_sketch_op_and_cp.jpg

It's a nature reserve on the edge of the city. The straight path is an old disused railway line that has been turned into a footpath and there is a path alongside the canal and others across the fields. There are a couple of old Victorian bridges here - under the railway and over the canal, as well as the ancient packhorse bridge.

Vivien Maloney
06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Vivien - Wonderful sketches. The old packhorse bridge in charcoal is particularly powerful!

DrDebby
06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I am fascinated with your sketches. You do several from different angles and with different media, all about the same subject. It's eye opening.

robertsloan2
06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Vivien, the medieval pack horse bridge view is so gorgeous. I love that. It's perfect as it is. So is the color aerial view, so vivid and realistic. The other aerial view is a little more maplike but still cool. Beautiful drawings, all three of them are fantastic. I wish I could draw scenes from life that well. I'd also love to be able to visit this area with all its ancient stone work, that is so fascinating to me. Thank you for doing this and showing how awesome it is.

vhere
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I am fascinated with your sketches. You do several from different angles and with different media, all about the same subject. It's eye opening.

The idea of this project was to revisit places in different seasons and times and try to do as many different local 'water' images as possible - rivers, canals, pools. reservoirs, whatever. I'm afraid that I haven't done any new images for a while but plan to get back to it. It was always planned as a slow burn project done alongside other stuff.

Thanks Viv and Robert too

here's another view of the same placehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2010/53888-aylestone_great_central_way_bridge.jpg

looking the other way down the canal

Davkin
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
What a great landscape sketch! Pencil, right? I really like how you handled the foliage.

David

robertsloan2
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Vivien, this one is so beautiful. Just a simple pencil sketch but so powerful. I love the textures of the foliage and the water, the great little bridge... it's fantastic. I love it.

mhimeswc
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
The one of the pack horse bridge is the best one yet. :-)

DrDebby
06-17-2010, 11:42 PM
This view of the canal and bridge are wonderful. You've handled the water and foliage so deftly.

vhere
06-18-2010, 04:03 AM
thanks :) yes David - sorry I forgot to say - it's a simple pencil sketch. I like mechanical pencils so I don't have to worry about sharpening them. The trees are willows so they have those long slim pointed leaves. I tried to suggest that in the marks.

The photograph is sloping - the water doesn't really go downhill to the left in the sketch!

I'd forgotten how COLD it was that day until I looked at this sketch again! The old lock keepers cottage had been made into a cafe (a hundred yards the other way) and my friend and I thawed out in the warmth with a hot chocolate after doing this and a couple of other sketches.

vhere
06-20-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2010/53888-e__frog_island_first_yea_de_montfort__landscape_work_copy.jpg

A very old pen sketch of the canal on its way through an area of old factories - I liked the curiously shaped building with the name boards of the various businesses and the sweep of the footpath off to the old bridge - a little silted up wharf goes off under it, where goods would have been unloaded at the factory from the narrowboats. (the white area of paper on the left is the canal)

I don't very often draw in pen alone nowadays.

Yorky
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
An interesting view Vivien, canals always have lots of old buildings on them.

Doug

DrDebby
06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Beautiful pen work. Those older buildings are so interesting.

vhere
06-21-2010, 02:03 PM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2010/53888-e__swithland_reservoir__watercolour_and_cp_still_dull_day_002.jpg

This one is watercolour, looking across a local reservoir on a very very still day, just starting to drizzle as I finished it (light mist like rain)

Davkin
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow! That one is just beautilful! I know how hard it is to capture that kind of scene because I attempted one Saturday and it wasn't even 1/4 as good.

David

DrDebby
06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh, that is so pretty. Wonderful.

vhere
06-23-2010, 08:43 AM

David it's mainly about pushing the dark/light contrast as there isn't much colour variation - the water was really catching the light so the contrast was there. Get those darks really dark :)

Davkin
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
I seem to have a hard time getting the paint in my Koi set to go dark, I'll have to work on that and see if it's even possible. I'll hopefully be going on a hike tomorrow or Friday, so I'll play with that on some scrap paper tonight. The quality of this painting comes from much more than just contrast though, the shapes are amazing, something I haven't been able to achieve in WC either, not by a long shot.

David

JTMB
06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Viv,

Got caught up on your journal again - I really like what you're doing here! Nice variety of media, subject matter and unique viewpoints. The idea of doing scenes from traditional viewpoints and then from the air is really interesting. The subject matter is great as well.

Jakesgram
06-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Vivien, your work is all so lovely, I don't even know where to start commenting! First off, what an interesting theme for your journal. So far, I'm not doing any "themed" journals, but I do like the idea and I can see this one takes you to many beautiful places to paint and sketch!

Among others, I love the way you combined charcoal and cp in doing the packhorse bridge. I can see the cp's really add an extra dimension that is beautiful. Also, I love the monoprints. (Great, another thing I have to try some day!) (said with sarcasm) :lol:

It's a very interesting idea to include arial views of the locations. You are really getting to know the areas you paint!! And finally, the latest watercolor is just amazing. Your palette is beautiful and the reflections are really nicely done.

Jean

vhere
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
If your watercolours won't give you dark enough colours it's worth considering buying some White Knights (St Petersburg) paints. This was done with mine and I love their rich colour. The dark greens are mainly viridian mixed with alizarin crimson, which gives luscious dark greens or burgundies.

Also using coloured pencil over helps. Not watercolour pencils because dry they are too wishy washy and the idea is that they sit over the watercolour. I use them a lot but don't think I did in this one.

John and Jean thanks :) Yes, it does help to understand how bits relate to each other to look at the aerial view - and it's fun :)

robertsloan2
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I love the trees by the reservoir. The cool dark greens give it a perfect misty rainy day look, and the strong values make it so lively. The sky holes in the foliage are grand. I really need to stop making my foliage masses so solid, especially when I'm doing watercolor. That laciness of sky holes and trunks and branches and leaf clumps is wonderfully complex and yet it's very natural and loose. Glorious.

I love the White Knights, which are Yarka St. Petersburg Professional in the USA. I love that Russian Green as a green base and will modify it with other greens and blues and yellows and browns easily, it's wonderful. It's like Sap Green with the value range of Prussian Blue, gorgeous.

vhere
06-24-2010, 05:52 AM
agreed - if I'm out sketching in w'col then I just take them (a box of 24 with another 12 added down the middle section!) but if I'm in the studio I use them along with W&N artists colours in pans and tubes. I've put a W&N viridian in the box as that is purer than the White Knights greens for some things and Aureolin yellow which is killingly expensive but last ages as you need so little and it's so beautifully translucent

In any one painting I don't use too many different colours - but I like the selection to choose from. In mixes it really matters which specific blue or yellow or whatever doesn't it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_charcoal_sketch_packhorse_bridge_cold_day.jpg

Another charcoal one of the ancient packhorse bridge across the flood meadows. I was perched precariously on a huge branch above gloopy mud near the bank for this one, praying I didn't fall off! Sadly they cut these huge trees back to the sad stumps in the pollarded willows images since I drew this :( They are regrowing fast but they were lovely huge trees. My children loved to climb them when they were young. (not the tree trunk you can see but the ones behind me whose branches are overhanging the water)

Someone mentioned in another thread, the problems with suggesting foliage - here I've scribbled really free, long, willow leaf shapes and made sure that some are dark against the light background and some light against the darker shadows - looking for that counterpoint really helps I find.

mhimeswc
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Oooh! That watercolor of the reservoir is gorgeous!

Davkin
06-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Another great sketch Vivien.

David

suruchi
06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Viv, all of these are just fabulous! I'm trying to get into the sketchbook habit and looking at all your beautiful work makes me more determined! Right now I am practicing in some various ones that were sitting on my shelf but I have two brand new Moleskines in the wings waiting for me to gut up and start using them. :lol:
Keep on showing us your work! :thumbsup:
Dena

vhere
06-24-2010, 04:57 PM

remember these have been done over time - I tend to keep sketchbooks for particular areas or projects and have lots of them in use at once. so they fill bit by bit as I work on one project and then another.

When I go away or go for a day sketching I will fill quite a few pages at a time but then it may wait a while before anything else goes in. I may be working on other stuff or large canvasses based on the sketches.

DrDebby
06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
That bridge is great from this angle too. I've never thought of sketching while sitting in a tree. At least there wouldn't be people looking over your shoulder that way. LOL

vhere
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
:) it was a horizontal branch that I just edged along, no brave climbing involved!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2010/53888-e__union_wharf_from_the_steps_to_one_of_the_flats.jpg

I'll include this one though it has major errors - I kind of lost my way and the scale of the left hand side is all wrong compared with the far bank :(

ah well - the information is there for me to have another go at home.

This one is just coloured pencil. I don't very often work in just these as I prefer mixed media with watercolour with them. It's also so slow!

This is a spur of the Grand Union canal, a dead end, where barges took goods up a steep hill, through a famous long flight of locks. The old warehouses are now expensive loft apartment type houses.

It's the same place as the sepia one but looking across, not to the left.

robertsloan2
06-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Viv, the charcoal one you did sitting in the tree is wonderful. It's so sad they cut down the huge trees, those sound so cool and so beautiful. I hope the new ones get huge fast.

On the two page one, I love it. I don't see the problem with the left hand side but I wasn't there. Is it that it should've been even larger and gone off the page? It looks like the perspective's right to me -- but I wasn't there so I wouldn't know.

And yes, it does matter which yellow and which blue, I'm the same way about having a lot of colors. Thank you for something that makes that make sense. I rotate among several different sets of pan watercolors and started getting W&N tubes, Daniel Smith tubes and Blick Artists' tubes and use what I feel like at the moment, but I like having that much variety to choose from.

vhere
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM

well it's probably mainly the canal boats that are seen end on - the nearest end should be larger as they are virtually as close as the left hand boats - but I've drawn them much smaller :o the perspective should have narrowed much more dramatically between front and back of them.

DrDebby
06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
You do water so well. I am loving all these different media with similar and same subject.

vhere
06-27-2010, 07:33 AM
thanks Debby :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/53888-4_WEBSITE_e__flooded_quarry_near_swithland_woods.jpg

This one is a charcoal sketch about 14 ins high of a flooded ancient slate quarry in local woods. The quarries are quite deep and dangerous.

and a watercolour version in a similar size, maybe a little bigger

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/53888-4_WEBSITE_e__flooded_quarry_swithland_woods_wcol.jpg

DrDebby
06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful. How did you reserve the whites of the branches on the water color version?

vhere
06-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Some of the whites were just leaving the paper - the branches were partially overpainted with gouache and there is a little oil pastel scumbled lightly as well.

When in doubt try anything I think should be my motto!

I do love painting water :)

robertsloan2
06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Both of the quarry pictures are wonderful. The charcoal one is so powerful. I love the strong values and intricate details, those pale roots are great. The watercolor one's beautiful too, but the charcoal one reads a little easier.

virgo68
06-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Vivien, what a wonderful collection of work! I love all of the images on this page of the thread but wonder if I might go backwards and say that I really like the results of your experiments with the lino prints. Painting the colours onto the block looked very successful and the idea with the tracing paper looks great too.

Davkin
06-29-2010, 01:24 AM
You just keep blowing me away Vivien.

David

vhere
06-29-2010, 04:35 AM
thanks !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_meadows_icy_pool_copy.jpg

This one is colured pencil in an 11 inch square book with a lovely strong buff coloured paper. I haven't done much in it yet but I really like it.

It was a bitterly cold day with a light covering of snow. The pools of water in the flood meadows were frozen.

It's the view from the packhorse bridge, looking away from the side I drew in charcoal.

I keep experimenting from time to time but really I don't like coloured pencils as well as paint for landscape.

Davkin
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
You did that "en plein aire" with CP? That's amazing. I tried CP in the "studio" and really didn't care for it, just too darned tedious, I can't imagine doing CP outdoors from life, let alone in the cold on horseback! It almost has a pastel-like quality to it, I like it.

David

mhimeswc
06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
This is beautiful! Like David, I think it has a pastel-like quality too. Hope you do more of them.

vhere
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I wasn't on horseback! just on the ancient packhorse bridge :) horses are far too far off the ground for me!

It was finished at home I freely admit - I was frozen out there!

Davkin
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I wasn't on horseback! just on the ancient packhorse bridge :) horses are far too far off the ground for me!

It was finished at home I freely admit - I was frozen out there!

:lol: :lol: Sorry, I misread! :lol: :lol:

David

virgo68
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
The cp's on the buff paper looks great - I like the way the colours are playing off against the paper. I agree - cp's wouldn't be my first choice for a landscape but, then again, I never do landscapes LOL!

DrDebby
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Beautiful winter scene. I can well believe you were frozen. I imagine water colors would not have worked at that time.

Whisperwood
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
LOVE the cp winterscape! But theres no way I could have done any out in that cold! I don't "do" cold LOL!! Brrrr... wonderful work though. Loving all your water... you do it so well!

robertsloan2
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
thanks !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/53888-e__aylestone_meadows_icy_pool_copy.jpg

This one is colured pencil in an 11 inch square book with a lovely strong buff coloured paper. I haven't done much in it yet but I really like it.

It was a bitterly cold day with a light covering of snow. The pools of water in the flood meadows were frozen.

It's the view from the packhorse bridge, looking away from the side I drew in charcoal.

I keep experimenting from time to time but really I don't like coloured pencils as well as paint for landscape.

Vivien, this is spectacular. I love the way the warm buff colour paper gives an eerie quality to the scene, a warmth like the hour before sunset. Gorgeous. You may not like the coloured pencils as much, but they sure like you!

prismalos
06-30-2010, 06:35 AM
That view from the Packhorse bridge is beautiful! Very atmospheric!

vhere
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
thank you everyone :)

Yes the glow from the paper colour was perfect for the late afternoon light and played up the coldness of the frozen pools etc. They are agonisingly slow for landscape though!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2010/53888-swans.jpg

This one is just a really quick sketch of some swans on the river near the factor/weir drawings.

You may not be able to read my scrawl - but they were nesting in a filthy part of the river surrounded by plastic bottles, a traffic cone and junk.

virgo68
06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
what a shame they are in a grotty home, but I like your sketch - it always fascinates me to study the marks made in quick loose sketches. Bet you had to be quick before they moved again!

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Poor swans. Your sketch is elegant in it's simplicity.

vhere
07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I find birds very hard to sketch from life - I know less about them than cats and so understanding their structure and the way they move takes more time. It was a very quick sketch.