PDA

View Full Version : Some see cherries, I see pie!

lindadian
06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-08-2010/225854_cropped_cherries.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Some see cherries, I see pie!
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
the cherries spilled out onto the baby's highchair table directly in the noonish sun. that is why the shadows are in multiple directions...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
open to all input, please.

tony1
06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Nope I see cherries. And they are done so well. I can sense the moistness on the outside. The textures here are really very nice. And I like the noon day sun multidirectional shadows. Really like this.

Dana Design
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Lovely cherries!~ A few highlights on the pit would make it look even juicier.

Nice work!

Corby
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
love the comp! But you might beware stems that point so strongly out of the picture and lead the eye away.

The cherries are well drawn, but I am minded that cherries have an almost waxed look to them, smooth and glossy.

The color used for the shadow portions might be better acquired with the use of analogous color. The black tone rather deadens the glow that would be achieved in full sun.

Realize please that I am not trying to deaden the positive comments about the painting. You should be proud of it! These are just thoughts that you might consider for next time. It will move you onward in your satisfying artistic journey.

crazywoman53
06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
No crits from me... this is a wonderful piece.

kathrynlovespets
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Very dramatic and enjoyable for a handful of cherries

Sam_I_Am
06-09-2010, 03:33 AM
I think this is lovely, as above stated. My eyes are a little confused about the halfed cherry, as it looks like it sits awkwardly underneath the cherry closer to us. It might be fixed by adding some shadows indicating that the cherry closer to us is actually in front of it, and blocking a smidge of light. Then some glistening on the pit, as Dana said, and it'll be ready for framing :)

Great Job :)

totsy
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Dana, is the 'pit' somewhere outside the cherry?

Totsy

lindadian
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Being new here, I feel it would be presumsious, for me to call you all by first names that I would be guessing at...I do want to take time to let all of you know I do appreciate your fresh,impartial opinions about my work. I will take them all to heart. Finally I will , once I have corrected the work, Re-present it to you. Again, Thank You so very much for your time and efforts!
Linda

billmahler
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Nicely done, indeed.
If you're going to revisit it, check your edges.
Pick one section of one cherry that you want to emphasize and sharpen those edges while softening the less emphatic edges.