PDA

View Full Version : Coming But Not Here Yet

ralphie128
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/06-07-2010/43280_IMG_2107_Field.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Coming But Not Here Yet
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
20x30" Acrylic on canvas.<br>Photo Reference PETERH WetCanvas.com<br>All C/C welcome. Thank you.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Same as above. Thanks.

tgsloth
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Big painting! The top is wonderful. The expanse of gold, to my eyes, is too monolithic and needs breaking up.

T.Wayne
06-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Ralph, I do agree with the slothman that the color of the field does need to broken up a bit. Still a very great piece and a beautiful sky.

mkillough
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
This is beautiful! Love the colors and the golden expanse of the wheat field. :clap:

I have one in back of my house. The only thing that ever disturbs the unbroken expanse of it is an occasional ground hog forging thru or one of the huge crow that drop by in early morning or when the mower shows up.

There is a red curled, palm up, hand shape in your cloud formation that you might want to paint out. Wouldn't take long at all.

Maryq

Dana Design
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
To maintain atmospheric perspective, the gold in the rear should probably be a bit darker. Here, it seems that it's all the same value. I'm not sure if I would have painted the church the same color as the fields but you are THE artist!

The composition is good and follows the compositional rules that Corby speaks of. Divide the canvas in thirds, horizontally and vertically and then set your center of interest where the lines cross in any one of the four sections.

Corby
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't change anything about it. It seems one of those instances where right or wrong according to 'rule' isn't really important. Looking at it one really senses the edge of the storm...wouldn't want to lose that slight sense of impending chaos that broken rules can emphasize.

crazywoman53
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Another good one. I'd like to see the perspective on the church fixed a tad.

ralphie128
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you all for the great and helpful comments. It feels so good to get away from the painting knife for awhile. It was a steep learning curve for me and I wasted a lot of paint and some canvas but at least I know what it is. It can be really great when it works out.
Thanks Corby as I feel the same way as your comment for now. Who knows what I will change in a month from now. All comments are deeply appreciated and retained for later changes. Have a great day everyone!!!!!!!!!!

kathrynlovespets
06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow striking
A little too saturated in the yellow department but I enjoy the effect of the firey looking sky as if the house is on fire

ralphie128
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks Kate!

Sam_I_Am
06-09-2010, 03:29 AM
This is beautiful -- I remember this photo in RIL, and this is an interesting and creative take on the photograph. I think I would like to see just a little more light on the house to differentiate it from the yellow of the field, but that's all I have to add.

Great work :)

mkillough
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
It was a steep learning curve for me and I wasted a lot of paint and some canvas but at least I know what it is. It can be really great when it works out.

Then nothing was wasted. :)

Maryq

ralphie128
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks Stefanie! You are right of course, the house is a different value in the photo, and I have started yesterday to make change to a lot of my paintings, hopefully for the better. This painting might be changed later on depending on my perspective at that moment. You have a great day and happy painting!

ralphie128
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your comment Mary. Lovely words of wisdom! Have a really great day and happy painting!