PDA

View Full Version : pastel virgin

soulsketcher
09-26-2002, 09:21 AM
ok so i have oil pastels at home and i tried using them for the first time and ..lets just say the result was not pretty.

what shouls i know about working with oils pastels? and what is the difference between oils and regular..as far as hw it comes across and how it is to use?

any helpful hints would be appreciated!

Koert
09-26-2002, 10:47 AM
i am not capable of doing ANYTHING with oil pastels
i like drawing with them because of how they feel, and how they glide over the paper, but so far, i haven't been able to do anything with them

jackiesimmonds
09-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Oil pastels are COMPLETELY different to chalk pastels, except in their shape, which is about the only way they are similar!

Chalk pastels are pure pigment, held together with the minimum of binder. Oil pastels are the same pigment, held together with an oil binder and other stuff. So - they are greasy!!! And they are sticky too.

You cannot easily use them on their sides, so using the point is the way to go. To build up colour areas, you can "overpaint" in layers with cross hatching or feathering. You can also block in colours, but you have to be careful with this as you quickly fill the grainof the paper, so your capacity to work one colour over another is limited. You can blend them, by brushing the marks with turpentine or white spirit.

Oil pastels dont need fixing, so they are good for outdoor work, but be very careful in hot weather - they melt!
Jackie

do visit my ebay page and auctions (http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jackie4art/.)

visit my website which has a “troubleshooter” page of helpful pastel tips and hints (http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk)

Also see my posts in The Artists Marketplace here at WC!

KarenU
09-26-2002, 12:57 PM
I've been experimenting lately with oil pastels and I have to say that they are much more difficult for me to handle than the chalk pastels. I've had some success using turpenoid and blending quite a bit. They do tend to build up really fast and without much stroke pressure.

Just last night I was looking on the internet at some wonderful examples of oil pastel paintings...I just don't know how they achieved the look yet! :D

soulsketcher
09-26-2002, 06:04 PM
thanks everyone for your advice!

jackie- i went your website! wow you have great great stuff! it looks like you will prove to be a valuable resource!

ok..so today i decided to bite the bullet and go by pastels..i decided to buy he cheap brand this time because i am low on money but very anxious to try out pastels.. next time which brand is better? rembrandt? primacolor? faber-castell?

thanks again!!!!:confused: :confused:

jackiesimmonds
09-27-2002, 02:40 AM
I cannot advise on which brand of the three you mention becuse I only know Rembrandt - the others aren't easily available in the UK. Check out which are "soft" and which are "hard" - it is important to know the difference. I know that Rembrandt are a good, all-purpose medium/soft passtel, with occasional harder sticks in the darker colours. If money is a bit tight, look out for boxes which contain half-sticks, this is an excellent way of getting twice the colours for the same money.

And if you can stretch to it, do buy just two or three light colours in one of the better makes, such as Unison or Schmincke. Buy a cream stick, and two others, say a pale blue and a pale green. You will be able to use these OVER any harder pastels you buy, and you will be amazed by the difference in quality. It really is good to understand the differences in pastels.

Enjoy!
Jackie
do visit my ebay page and auctions (http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jackie4art/.)

visit my website which has a "troubleshooter" page of helpful pastel tips and hints (http://www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk)

Also see my posts in The Artists Marketplace here at WC!

Leaf
09-27-2002, 01:16 PM
I've had good results so far with my little set of Faber-Castell "Goldfaber" half stick set. I got the 48 pastel set but beware, 4 of the 48 are just white and black so really you're only getting 46 colors. I did bite the bullet the other day and got a couple Schminkes and a Sennelier stick and let me tell ya, they're like drawing with butter. :D Whenever I win the lottery, I'm getting a set of Schminkes. :) And a bronzed stable boy...and a hunky gardener too. :evil: :evil: :angel: :cat:

Leaf

Anna Marie
09-27-2002, 02:01 PM
My First pastels were cheap ones and then I was introduced to UNISON. Since then I have a system (not very professional I hasten to add) where every time I buy any materials I buy myself one or two new Unison Colours. I have to be honest that standing in the shop (its a proper art shop as its in an old brick warehouse and instead of wasting money on posh decor they just have shelves and racking and trays of 'Art Stuff') i open each tray of pastel colours and its better than Christmas. I just treat
myself to just one or two exciting new colours. The other good pastels I have are Schmincke and Sennelier.
My early ones were Ingres which are cheap and cheerful and Windsor and Newton these are ok but UNISON are grooviest and they are hand rolled!

jackiesimmonds
09-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Leaf, let me know when you win the lottery and get the new purchases.....and all the extras. I'm coming for tea. And stuff.:evil: