PDA

View Full Version : My Little Watercolour Postcards

purpalia
06-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi everyone! :)

Yesterday I started to paint on postcard sized watercolour paper. Since I have several pads of the same size, I will post everything here :)

I started witha few botanical (Rhododendrons, Poppies, Iris) from the garden of my mother. I also coloured a dragon that my husband (prismalos) drew for me, because I was tired drawing ^^

Here's the batch from yesterday :)

C&C welomed, as always!!!

I used Sakura Koi watercolour set for the botanicals, and Cotman watercolours for the dragon

friesin
06-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Wow, I like the dragon !!

Do you want my address for sending your postcards ?:D

As for the flowers:
Maybe you try to paint a flower applying larger washes of paints? Your second flower has been done by quite a lot of small strokes, maybe one larger stroke, using the shape of your brush, would do even better:thumbsup:

mhimeswc
06-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Flowers are my favorite subject. I like the rhododendrons. The poppy and the irises could use more darks, both in the flowers and the leaves. Right now, they are sort of pale.

How sweet that your hubby drew you a dragon and a princess. A good start for your small watercolor postcard journal.

robertsloan2
06-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Cool botanicals. There's a trick for doing flowers with large petals that I didn't discover till last year in a Watercolor Artist article. Try it on another one, I don't think it'd work well for reworking something already done with smaller strokes.

Sketch out the outlines of the petals lightly. Paint water over just one petal. Start painting into the water but get the paint very strong on your brush, shading that petal and letting the darker color in the shadows fade up into the lighter color on the outside (more orangy if it's a poppy) with a soft edge.

Then do a non-adjacent petal while it dries. The main thing is that hard edges form wherever the original water area stops but everything inside it is very soft-edged and smooth shaded. It can look really cool to take one color, like the orange-red, around the outside edges and then use the darker red down where it meets the center and let the colors mingle in the middle.

This can be extremely time consuming on flowers with little tiny petals so it's best on things like poppies, roses, irises where you only have a few to deal with and they're good sized.

Once it's hard dry, you can glaze over earlier layers of color if you want to darken a flower. Just don't scrub with the brush, use fairly gentle strokes. The transparency of the watercolor will let the shapes of the earlier strokes come through. So you could glaze over the entire poppy to deepen it if you wanted, just be careful to not scrub away those gorgeous strokes you used to define its crinkles. I like how you've done the poppy.

Great dragon and princess, love how you shaded the dragon. The lady's gown is well done too and her hair's shaded great, red hair in sunlight does that. Good skin tone on her.

Aiylah
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Lovely flowers, as in your other journal too. I especially like the rhododendrons. The poppy looks like it has an impressionistic style to it :D
Also like how you coloured the dragon and princess. The dragon looks like a friendly chap :D

DrDebby
06-06-2010, 01:46 PM
The flowers look soft and dreamy. How sweet of Raymond to draw a dragon for you to paint? :heart: Nice shading on that one.

cjc45
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
What a wonderful husband!!

Jakesgram
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Sandra, I just discovered you neat little postcard journal. Your flowers are lovely, especially the purple Rhododendrons. I love how lacy the greenery is and that shade of (of course PURPLE) is beautiful!

Your husband's dragon is a lovely gift too, but I hope we see more of your florals!

Jean