GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: After the Fire
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36X48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is based on two historical photos from the Timmins Museum, used by permission. These are from after the 1911 fire that literally wiped out the entire mining community of Porcupine at the peak of teh first gold rush, killing more than 100 people. <br><br>The survivors literally had to live in the ashes and the mines went back into production almost immediately after they removed the bodies from the mine shafts where victims tried to flee the fire. Others drowned in Porcupine Lake as 100 foot high flames destroyed everything in its path.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this look complete? Aside from the faces, which I can't seem to improve upon, is it good enough to be presented to a retirement home in the area?

rusted_art
06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
i have done a very ruff photoshop to try some ideas. i think the best are.
1 making the burnt trees a bit more eiree
2 letting some light into the sky
3 lighting up the forground into the open tent flap
4 loosening up the sharp edges of the tents
5 softening up the poles and changing the angles a bit.

maybe these suggestions will help. vic

Corby
06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Mackb...you certainly have expressed the spirit of the situation well! I like 'rusteds' suggestions in that it conveys a more positive aspect, they seem not to be so overwhelmed by the devastation. Very 'gutsy" piece of work!

crazywoman53
06-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree the sky needs to be lighter. In doing so it will make the dark burnt trees stand out more. There is not a strong flow of light direction in this. Enhancing that would give more interest. Miner's were a tough breed of people and this painting certainly honors that strength that many people don't seem to have anymore.

MRSBB
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Mack. Some good suggestions above, but it kind of depends on the mood and time of day you were going for. To me it reads like they are trying to figure out their next move, which would be kind of gloomy. I like your version and think you did a nice job on modeling the people.........Lenore

tgsloth
06-05-2010, 10:24 PM
(a) your best painting, by a lot
(b) agree with Lenore, the dark sky, ordinarily a no-no (can't be darker than the tents) works wonderfully in this dark story.
(c) don't give it to the retirement home. Make them buy it.

mackb
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks rusted for those ideas. I have had a lot of local feedback about the sky, but my feeling is that the crispness of it and the soft smoky clouds along the horizon are remincent of the recent fire. The tents are darkend along the edges in order for them not to blur together.

Thanks Corby, I am encouraged by the feedback. This is a bold piece and is meant to hang in a large room and needed to be large and so is a smallish mural and needs to be bold.

Thanks Crazy, I lightened it a lot frrom what it was and I don't want the sky to be a distraction. I should play with a smaller one to slove these issues I guess. And yes, miners and their families are a tough lot.

Lenore, you are too kind. You got the mood of the piece well. (I gotta say agian, I love your signiture, I've told a few other painters about it)