Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
the photo is fairly representative.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I will anticipate anything and be happy with everything.

maryinasia
06-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Beautiful. I wonder why I have this overwhelming desire to divide the painting into thirds:lol:

Bis007
06-05-2010, 07:25 AM
:music:Another series of the Paph- very nice MrC-(flash issue? with the white area?) I am reading that this is prolly was the first Paph in your series. I like both-but fav was the previous one.:thumbsup:Maybe tone down the upper white a bit-dunno. They are interesting flowers!

tgsloth
06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I was guessing that the fuzziness of the image was a photography issue. If, as you say, you've painted it that way, I suggest that you sharpen some edges on the main part of the flower to create a center of interest. I also note that your upper background is darker than the foreground. Reversing those values will improve a sense of depth as lights recede while darks come forward.

crazywoman53
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Another beauty Corby. I agree the photo looks a little too fuzzy.. I want to see some sharper areas in this. You might also look at the kiss of the petal on the leaf on the right side. I'd also like to see the background leaves blued just a tad so the sunny yellow ones will come forward more in the front.

MRSBB
06-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Very nice Corby. I am fascinated by the round ball in the center of the flower. It almost looks like a reflection in there............Lenore

flowergram
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Love it as it is. I think the white suffices as the center of interest, any sharper edges might lock attention, not allowing exploration of the rest of the paph and the stunning background.

Corby
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I will not run this by again but I cannot fail to thank those who have helped me see!

flowergramthank you! Except for the superlatives your viewpoint is somewhat my own as I painted it!

Lenore Thank you for noticing that. That small portion of the flower is really a variable, quite different in each of the variable species.

crazywoman Good observation! and the things you speak of are indeed mostly the quality or lack of it in posting! I had to enlarge this image and lost the crispness where it was needed and at the same time imparted that overall flatness to the image. I will never as long as I live get a decent image up on the wetcanvas!

TG! Well you are right of course! It does seem lackluster in the posting. All I can say is that it works in the painting. The plant becomes spot lit in the surrounding darkness...sigh* I should re-post this image.

Bis007! Nice to hear from you! No I have painted many of these 'guys' My wife always saw to it that I had one on my desk. They usually got painted! Yes photo issues...despite good councles on the matter from TG and others, I always manage to flub it up!

maryinasia Wonderful! I never saw a painting or a photo that I didn't subject to the rule! ( actually anything and everything is subject to my scrutiny)

Becky Foster
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Love it! Intriguing composition...I messed with the contrast and temperature (hope I didn't make it too green)

-Becky

Corby
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Ah yes Becky, that looks more like what I have...thanks!

Sam_I_Am
06-09-2010, 03:26 AM
This is truly unique, Corby. Its interesting in a way that I can't really even describe. It also has a pseudo-3D look that kind of reminds me of those cards that make your eyes cross :P

No Nits, I love it :)

Corby
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Stef! Glad you appreciate the sense of depth! I hope you can uncross your eyes before your next painting session! :-)