PDA

View Full Version : need some help for oil hand made reproductions

JKOOPS
06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
hello i need some help because im going to do some reproductions of oil paintings, what you recomend in the process, the only refernece i have is a printed image in the internet...

dcorc
06-06-2010, 08:12 AM
There are a whole series of "Masters of the Month" in this subforum, going back t0 2004. If you read the discussions at the start of those, particularly of the earlier ones, you will see extensive discussions from myself and others (I organised quite a few of the ones in the first two years) laying out general approaches, discussing palettes, and so on.

In short, I'd suggest that ideally you should try to at least get to see the work you are intending to study - it can therefore be better to study a comparatively minor work which is local to you (if there's anything at all, local to you) rather than a major work which you only have an internet image of. If you can't get to see the work in question, then at least try to see other works by the same artist. Also, look for any information on the artist's own preparation - any sketches or studies they might have done - and unfinished works can be particularly informative about the processes and techniques used.

I'd also suggest painting a copy at the same scale as the original - people often make things far harder for themselves by trying to paint a copy which is a fraction of the size of the original. For understanding the process, techniques, and paint-handling, its better to do a crop of a selected area, rather than trying to do a reduced-size copy of a large painting.

Internet images can be widely - even wildly! - variable in their colours and contrast - all too often, images are "souped up" and made more contrasty and more saturated by people who obviously have no idea of what the original actually looks like - the general colour-balance of online images is also often considerably "off".

A better resource (sometimes!) are posters, prints, or postcards, often sold by the galleries or museums where the painting in question is housed. Likewise, serious monograph books on the artist, associated with exhibitions, are more likely to contain more accurately-reproduced images of the work (though even these are sometimes disappointingly inaccurate)

Another reason why its highly desirable to see the original is that images rarely show clearly the surface texture - the "facture" - of the painting, nor do they show clearly the differences between translucent and opaque passages - for these, the painting needs to be seen for real.

If you can get to see original works, even briefly - take the opportunity to take notes, make sketches, photograph if you are allowed to (paying particular attention to details and to looking at the paint-surface at a raking angle to look at texture) - if you can get a poster or postcard at the museum-shop, take it to the painting and compare, particularly colour - perhaps annotate it!

Dave

kate252
09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
can i just add- out of interest- that the reproduction factories in china use old postcards- all sorts.
but dont take this as me negating the above advice- which is excellent expert advice- but i have seen those guys in china doing acceptable repro's from any old picture.

but dont take this as im saying ignore the above advice- becuase preferably of course if you can you should do all of the above-

but then again- those repro guys in china also do a production line- where someone only does part of the painting- and they complete ten at the same time like this and ofcourse this is rippig any sort of soul right out of a painting.
when i saw this documentary aboutt hese guys in china doing repros for a living i was amazed at what good work they did from some scrappy little post card- and they were all pro- trained painters- thought they would be more rigourous in their approach
sad thing is- is that there is a market for their work.

Evelien1
09-11-2010, 03:35 AM
I guess you'll just have to recreate the original in you own way...

I think I'd underpaint the background in a suitable earth color, and the face in green earth (which used to be done to create radiant fleshtones by contrast)

Further: reproductions are hardly ever true in their colors. Also follow your instincts on it, while you work you can more or less figure out the artist intentions.

kate252
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
just read this thread again
dddves aiciinvaluable in that itcan save you a whole load of time- sweat/tears/frustration
so please folow it!! especially the size thing#

i, also going top add- this is what i persona;;y think-the further back in time you go- the harder it seems to be- as they had different paint and secret methods
i have tried holbein- nightmare- tudor portraits equal nightmare but choosing more recent- Mary Casssat the lady Imprssionist was a lot easier- different
even though i couldnt find the right colours- as each imge differed wildly- but as cassat used modern tubes of paint and there was no secret mystery process to her work it was a lot easier
i thought aFTer- what WAS I THINKNGGGGGGGGGG in tryiig Holbein?????????

what a, I nuts?????????? a beginner I am too- wildly nuts.

pick an easy genre too- like a cubist braque wont be too compicated tofollow as his genius was in the design and this is dioe for you.

im throwing this keyboard away tomorrow i swear it is going in the DUMP