Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this picture is a little lighter

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
general

Lily_Katz
06-02-2010, 03:11 AM
For discussion purposes, I juxtaposed your painting with a Kincaid of similar theme to point out some key elements:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/102931-Example.jpg

Here are my observations:

First, it appears you painted this from your imagination, and not from an actual reference. Note that your house is below that level of the river, there is no road leading up to the bridge, the trees look like a pickett fence, there are no reflections in the water and the mountain in the background has an almost impossible shape.. This is because your imagination does not represent reality. Kincaid's painting is undoubtedly mostly from his imagination, but he has significant experience.

The key elements that you need to become aware of are:

1. Atmospheric perspective. Note how colors fade out as object recede in the background.

2. Value ranges. Note in the Kincaid the values range from 1 to 5, while your painting is almost all mid-range value.'

3. Use of colors. Look at the range of colors in the Kincaid. Your painting is almost entirely green and blue.

The best thing you can do is paint your next painting from a good reference and paint exactly what you see. Once you are accomplished enough to paint what you see with reasonable accuracy, then you can start to work on style.

Corby
06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi RIFKAK! I enjoy your painting very much! It so reminds me of how much I enjoy painting from imagination. Lily has some good basic points to keep in mind. Especially I would urge you, whether painting from reference, from life or from imagination to get the foundation right, the composition. Your composition is not bad, in fact if one turns it over it is pretty much like the K'kaid. Looking at it from the standpoint of the rule of thirds note that your orange lollipop shaped tree falls in the center of the canvas. This placement, the fact that it is a circle and the only object of that color is good in that it makes it the focal point. Unfortunately the focal point should not usually be placed on canvas center. I would vary the shape of this object and repeat its color elsewhere in the painting as I have demonstrated. The focal point then becomes the bridge which sits on the lower right 'hot spot', this is good because it flows into the rest of the painting nicely. As Lily has said: soften those edges as they go back. Note how the mountain appears in the backround visually now that its edges are softened. The river alsonarrows and softens as it goes to background. The sky has been really lightened a great deal. It should be the lightest part of the painting, the water surface will almost reflect the same value the land will be of less value and upright objects such as the trees and house and bridge will be the darkest values. I have tried to indicate these things without destroying the integrity of your work which I like very much. Again , somewhat along the lines of which Lily spoke I would just draw everything that falls under my eye! Draw it again and again! By doing this you build a record in you brain of what and how things are. So when you draw from image-ination, you have a lifetime of images in your mind to draw from. That is exciting!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2010/70790-cabin.JPG

p.s.: I would let that river turn the bend at its far end, not just abruptly dead end and disappear.

cthomp7280
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Nice work. I have a hard time painting from imagination so I envy those who do it well...

One observation mentioned before. Perspective.

Your perspectives are a tad off in this piece which provide not-so-subtle transitions from object to object.

-- The river appear to travel uphill while the house appears to sit on flat land.

-- Only the side of the bridge is visible. If the perch were truly this high, we should catch a glimpse of the top of the bridge as well. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH NEXT!

These are all areas that can make a good painting great.

tgsloth
06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
You're getting some fine crits. I'd add that the line of six trees on the left is too regular. Like soldiers in a line. Nature is more random.

And a plea to all forum members to not use Thomas Kincaid as an artistic role model to emulate.

RIFKAK
06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
thanks al l of you for making me become a better artist