GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Part 2 - Hudson
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 5x7inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I decided to take the suggestions from my gouache try (thanks to all that commented, don't want to bump that piece up again) and try watercolor.<br><br>Need to know if this is good enough for a show. Need it by Thurs. so I won't get to work on it much, if at all. If it's not up to par I'll go with just 1 piece that I know will work.<br><br>I know one day I'll do this right, in acrylic but I'm really trying to stretch with different types of paint. I'm lea<br>ing a lot and appreciate all the great input I get here.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Corby
06-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Nicely done tony1, the value relationships are great. It does not have the presence that it promoted in the gouache version. not as interestingly textured. Are the two right hand channels of water streams running downhill into a lake? If not that section needs to be brought to horizontal? I love the way you did the tree, that shadow on the trunk from the foliage canopy really tells us what the light is like! The clumps of foreground shrubbery look a bit 'placed' and artificial. An odd number with a bit of overlapping and change of sizes would remedy that.

tony1
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Corby. I'm battling with gouache and watercolor so the texture is a chore.

The water is the Hudson River, the "streams" are indents in the shore line. I'm not happy with it, it doesn't read right as you caught with your eye. I will straighten the shore line and hopefully that will fix it. I have lightened the hills around the river and it looks better. Point taken about the shrubs.

I will some day do this scene in acrylic and be happier with it I'm sure. It's a spectacular view (you can actually see NYC from Bear Mt) and I've yet to do it justice.

Thanks for all the help, very insightful as usual. I'm make the last tweaks and maybe it will go in the show tomorrow (dependent on my mood).

Spyderbabe
06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I love that view. I'm familiar with it and know thats the Hudson. But its the title of the piece and you have to really look to find the river.

MRSBB
06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Tony. Sorry I am late with my comment as I remember you were going to try some paintings with gouache. I love the view you have chosen. The painting has good distance and I think if you increased the values in the foreground it would be even better.

If you are interested there is a gouache thread at the top of the Watercolor Studio and we would love to have you join us with your paintings......Lenore