PDA

View Full Version : Ludwig 60pc-Plein Aire or 60pc-Maggie Price Value - Which would you buy?

allydoodle
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi fellow dusters!

I have a question regarding Terry Ludwig Pastels. I recently purchased the Intense Darks II set and I just love them! I am contemplating purchasing either the 60pc Plein Aire set or the 60pc Maggie Price Value Set. I'm leaning towards the Value set, but I'm not sure if that is the best choice.

My question: If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be?

Dakota Art is running a sale of no shipping charges just 'till the end of today, so if anybody has an opinion, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,

bluefish
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Chris

Stan Sperlak has assembled a terrific set of Ludwigs - especially for East Coast artist - maybe you would want to take a look - it is on his web site, in his store - I bet he will match that 'free ship' offer!

'blue....' :)

allydoodle
06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks 'blue! I'll be takin' a look at it right now!

Lynndidj
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Chris - I have the Maggie Price Values and I do love them. But, I don't know what comes in the plein air, or in the Sperlak plein air, so you will have to judge. I have heard that Terry is great when you call and have questions - he even pops in here once and a while!!

Lynn

Westerngirl
06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I have the Maggie Price Value set, and it is nice.

But I was at an Albert Handell workshop in Terry's studio a few weeks ago, and I salivated over the plein air set......would have bought it if I hadn't already dropped all my money on the workshop!!!!

And Terry is really helpful......call him or his folks if you have any questions at all.

allydoodle
06-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Deb,

I keep on going back to that plein aire set...... The colors look so georgous. I originally was going for the values set, but when I took a look at that plein aire set, it seemed more to be more of what I like in my color pallet. I think that is going to be my plan.

'Blue,

Thank you! I did take a look at Stan Sperlak's assortment, and it is nice, but I really like the colors in the plein aire, so hmmmm......, I think I will give that a try first. Thanks so much for the suggestion though! It's nice to have options! I would never have known about it if you didn't suggest it!

deb9654
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I've been wondering the same thing as I've fallen in love with the Ludwigs. My next splurge was going to be one or the other of these. But looking at that Stan Sperlak set and being an East Coast artist....well I think that's the one! Yum! Let me know how you like the plein aire set. :)

allydoodle
06-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Deb,

I've ordered the Plein Aire set, and salivating till it comes in! I'll let you know what I think. The colors were more to my liking than the Stan Sperlak set, so I that was what I went with. If the colors aren't inspiring to me, then I wouldn't use them, so I had to "go with my gut". They are too expensive to not use them!

bluefish
06-05-2010, 05:45 PM
it all depends on what type of work you are going to do - Stan does a lot of ocean beach work along with the back bay marshes and his color choices are geared to that area - if you were doing a flower bouquet, I'd go with the maggie value set - beautiful colors in that one

I live right up the beach from Stan so I recognize what he is putting forth but all Terry's set are beautiful and useful - he makes great pastels -

allydoodle
06-05-2010, 06:23 PM
'blue,

I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said. Stan's work is beautiful, and I now see why his Ludwig pallet has the colors it does. For what he does, it is perfect. I think if I had the money, I'd buy all the Ludwigs, but since I don't.......:( , I have to choose carefully. I paint still life, portraits, landscapes, and sometimes florals, so my interests are all over the place. I guess I'm trying not to limit my ability to use what I purchase. I hope I made the right choice, though. I'll let you know! I really do appreciate your suggestions, as it does help me to make a choice. I really value the opinions of felow pastellers (is that a word? :lol: ). As they say, "knowledge is power"!

Anne-Marie
06-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm glad you posted this question as I was looking at these two myself.

I'm in the process of researching my second set. The first one was just an 18-piece set from Unison. I LOVE them, but I also want to give other manufacturers a try before I invest more.

I'm very interested in how you like them (I hope you LOVE them!) and am eager to hear your impressions when you get them--

allydoodle
06-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Ann-Marie,

Just a few more days now, and I shall have these beauties in my hand!:lol: I'm hoping to see them by the 10th (UPS tracking says that's when I'll get them). I definitely will let everyone know what I think! (I'm sure I'm gonna like 'em, because I have the dark set II, which I was really impressed with.)

bluefish
06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Have you all seen Terry's brand new set of colors - they are some beautiful looking pastels, if you do that type of work -

'blue....' :thumbsup:

allydoodle
06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey 'blue,

What is that Ludwig set called? Where can I take a look at it?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

bluefish
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Chris

It's called the 'Portrait II' set - Terry sent me an e'mail with a full color picture of the new set along with a description of the new colors - beautiful!

I'm sure you could e'mail him and he will send it to you -

allydoodle
06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
'blue,

Thanks! :wave:

sansea
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I am interested in purchase of the Terry Ludwig plein air set.
I have the Landscape 30 set and love it.
I checked the colors in the Plein air set and it loks like ther are several instances of same color in the set example 2 g590 ,2 g600 2 n150 2 n200
Maybe there is a typo in the list ? Does anyone know , Sandi

mrking
06-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Both are great sets. I'd buy the cheapest. :)

allydoodle
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
mrking,

:lol: :lol: :lol: If one were cheaper, I definitely would go that route! Unfortunately, they are both the same price, and I really shouldn't buy both, so I had to pick one! Ludwigs don't go "on sale" very much, I guess they don't have to :cool: ! Hopefully, :crossfingers:, my order is being delivered today, so I'll let you know what I think :D .

Anne-Marie
06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Crossing my fingers! I'm sure you'll get it today. Report back on your bliss!

Westerngirl
06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Wondering if you've had time to try out all those new colors?

And, for Ludwig fans in the immediate area (not many here, I'm afraid), Terry is holding his annual "garage sale" at his studio this coming Saturday. It's a 3 hour drive for me......but might be worth it. Lots of colors and pastel sticks that didn't pass final inspection for $1.25 each. You just have to elbow your way thru all your pastel friends to get to them! :D :heart:

allydoodle
06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I did receive the Plein Aire set, and I'm hoping to play with them today. I used them just a little to tweak my painting of Paula Ford's Barn I posted in the Gallery. But, I used them so little, I cannot assess them yet.

My immediate reaction was ooooooooh, these are different (which is great - who needs duplicates!), so I'm thinking it's going to be a really good thing :thumbsup: ! I'll keep you posted!

Deb,

I'd drive three hours to get Ludwigs at that price! Why not, it could be a road trip, with lunch, some picture taking for references, wild shopping for neat colors, oh, I'm jealous! Wish I was closer, I'd definitely give it a go! Let us know if you score!

P.S. Deb - I checked out your website, and it's beautiful!

JPQ
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Deb,

I keep on going back to that plein aire set...... The colors look so georgous. I originally was going for the values set, but when I took a look at that plein aire set, it seemed more to be more of what I like in my color pallet. I think that is going to be my plan.

'Blue,

Thank you! I did take a look at Stan Sperlak's assortment, and it is nice, but I really like the colors in the plein aire, so hmmmm......, I think I will give that a try first. Thanks so much for the suggestion though! It's nice to have options! I would never have known about it if you didn't suggest it!

i think plein air set becouse looks more natural to me. but comment is based what colour charts show in their page. stuff looks really lovely. btw how uniform is their softness ? (i cannot get these form here but i want know this type things all handmade pastels...)...

allydoodle
06-20-2010, 11:21 PM
i think plein air set becouse looks more natural to me. but comment is based what colour charts show in their page. stuff looks really lovely. btw how uniform is their softness ? (i cannot get these form here but i want know this type things all handmade pastels...)...

These pastels are really lovely. The colors are beautiful, and the softness is quite uniform. No surprises, and they are just beautiful to use. One of my new favorites. I'll post a painting just as soon as I have the time to complete one. Sometimes, life gets in the way :wink2: .

Anne-Marie
06-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Chris! I'm glad you're enjoying your pastels! I ended up getting the Maggie Price set and I LOVE it! Wow, they are very nice pastels. Beautiful colors. In anser to JPO, the darks are significantly harder than the rest, but they are still nice.