PDA

View Full Version : June 2010 Oil Pastel Challenge

marionh
06-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi All, A little late but worth the wait I hope:lol:

I have a French theme going this month and have selected 3 photos from my own photos. I found it hard to choose as there is such a variety, especially for landscapes around the area where I live. I have chosen a floral, landscape and still life so I hope there is something there for everyone.

Feel free to crop, interpret in any way or combine as you feel fit. Most of all enjoy the painting experience.

The first - every year a local village has a flower festival where the entire village is decked out in flower arrangements
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/42113-June_challenge_1.JPG

The second, and what else from the south of France but lavender fields - a truly magnificent sight

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/42113-June_challenge_2.JPG

The third - the ingredients for ratatouille a local provencal dish of vegetables (very tasty)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/42113-IMG_2153_800x600.JPG

Scarefishcrow
06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Marion, Thanks sooooo much for the lovely and diverse ref images. They are all great.

I have to admit (somewhat embarrasingly :o ) that I looked at the second image before reading what it was and at thought the "blue" was a lake!!!!

I'm used to seeing the proverbial lavender field photos that everyone takex looking down the rows and close up; this was surprising because of the angle taken and distance it really gives a fresh view of the lavender fields than the typically painted view! GREAT!

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

oldrockchick
06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
thanks Marion. I LOVE France. I am going to enjoy this month. Sadly I will be away for over 2 weeks of it. I am taking some El-Cheapo OPs camping. A mixture of Inscribe, a few Neos some chepos I bought in a little carry set (so I can use the set). I'll also be stuck for suitable support. I will have a go though. Probably on one of the rainy 'confined-to-tent' days. Will have to do it in bad light in that case.

Will definatley do something even if I have to wait until I get back and fit it around the chaos of unpacking :P

robertsloan2
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Marion, these are gorgeous photos! Thank you for such a wonderful theme. I've been neglecting my OPs lately but these just murmur "Oh get out the Senneliers" to me.

Except there's no meat in the ratatouille ingredients. I thought it was supposed to have rat in it?

Seriously though, that is a beautiful setup with gorgeous lighting. I like the blue and white checked towel or cloth under it contrasting with it.

Lin, hope you really enjoy your camping trip even with el cheapo OPs... hope you get in some sketching time with those cheapo OPs. Sometimes they can be a lot of fun! You could always underpaint and prime some watercolor paper

Pat Isaac
06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Great variety Marion and I do love that still life.

Pat

marionh
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Bill, thanks glad you like the lavender. We normally take a trip every year to see it. The fields are about a 2hr journey from home but well worth the effort.

Lin, have a great holiday. I don't envy you the camping - something I refused to do after my boys were about 10 :lol: . hope you have some 'me time' to do some painting even if not for the challenge - enjoy!

Thanks Robert - the rat got away LOL. Looking forward to seeing your work.:clap:

Thanks Pat - does that mean you'll be joining in:evil:

Pat Isaac
06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I surely would like to join in.....maybe finding the time...:eek:

Pat

SusieQ6833
06-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Ohh, I love these images! I'm trying to decide which one to do. I am really liking these OPs, especially the new ones I got. Just a few Senn's and Holbien's. I am, also, trying some Colorfix paper for the first time. I love the tooth on it. I have a 2nd piece and will probably do one of these on it.

Thank you Marion, for sharing these!

SusieQ :cat:

oldrockchick
06-02-2010, 07:39 AM
marion - I ADORE camping and won't stop until my disability makes it impossible. I used to go backpacking and hiking and I'm at my happiest when asleep in a field. Have to admit it gets harder each year, but with the proper equipment and a site geared up for disabled it helps.

With Dave's bad shoulder he might not be able to push on uneven surfaces so it might restrict where I can get to.

btw I apologise in advance for sever colour deviations in my works. I printed them off to take with me but my colour printer cartridge came up low... odd colours indeed, the aubergine is blue and the lavender is very pink.

marionh
06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Lin, I have a printer that always seems to be running out of ink, even when I have just put new cartridges in. Working from the printed photos is quite a challenge but I think it helps to give some freedom from the photo - at least that is what I tell myself.

Have a great time camping.

VladK
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Marion, thank you for beautiful references. Can't wait to start, but have to decide which one's first:wink2:

aolaranora
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Lovely and challenging! I think I like first one the best.... and still life is great too... Not sure, however I'll have time for it this month, but would be good to see what other can have done with it. Great start! :-)

marionh
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Vlad welcome on board I look forward to seing your paintings.

Tatiana, hope you can join in I know all about time constraints - My June just got very busy with visitors and me having to go back over to England for a few days. I've managed my intial drawing of the still life so far. Hopefully I can do the underpainting next week at which stage I will post an update.

Scarefishcrow
06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I surely would like to join in.....maybe finding the time...:eek:

Pat

I've been told I have a face that would stop a clock! Should I send a photo???:lol:

Bill

VladK
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Here is my ratatouille, a bit of impressionistic:wink2: Erengis on 9x12 Strathmore sketch paper. I spent about 1.5 hours and really enjoyed it:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2010/204616-IMG_4554_s.jpg

Thank you for feedback

painterly_peg
06-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Hi
I tried my hand at this oil pastel challenge of a landscape. This is about my third attempt at oil pastel. It is my first attempt using a painted acrylic background. It is also my first attempt using turpenoid.
I would appreciate an honest critique. I need to know if I should add more layers of oil pastel or leave it as it is.
It is 5x7" on watercolour paper.
TFL
Peg

Pat Isaac
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Nicely done, Vlad and it looks like you had fun. This is full of energy....

Pat

hollyga
06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Vlad - I agree with Pat - this one looks like lots of fun for you. I felt like it was way too much of a challenge for me - I will probably try for the landscape.

Peg - Your landscape is great. Third try at OPs - that makes it a real WOW! Great job. :clap:

Holly :wave:

marionh
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Vlad love your still life - You interpretation is full of energy and to me, has a Matisse look about it.

Peg - Nice landscape. For a third oil pastel it is very expressive. My only comment would be to make the foreground a bit stronger to aid the sense of distance but it is nice as it is. How do you find the watercolour paper - I really don't like it myself for OPs.

Holly - looking forward to your landscape - maybe you could crop the still life???? there is a lot going on it isn't thereLOL

hollyga
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Marion - If I can find the time, I may just do that - I just cropped a piece of it that I like. I have so many unfinished projects that I haven't gotten back to now that I just wonder if I will ever find time to go back to them all! :o I really like the floral, too - nice iron work on the window, great rock work, wonderful flowers and background scene - - just know I would never be able to finish that one!

Thanks for hosting this month - these are all GREAT challenges!

painterly_peg
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Marion - Thanks..I like the paper I used because it did not have many bumps in it...it was hot press not cold press.

Holly - Thank you..I have been painting for a long time but fairly new to oil pastel. I like the medium because it reminds me of oil without all the mess.
Peg

Nancys
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm so glad to see someone post a painting. Great effort to you both. I may have to try also. But I think the landscape will be more to my ability. Peg, congrats on the 3rd one.

VladK
06-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Thank you Pat, Holly, Marion and Nancy for comments.
Holly, I agree with Marion - you crop it and try to finish it really fast, so you don't have it unfinished:wink2:

paul444
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Vlad ... Love the way you have handled the still life, as Pat said ' full of energy ' .

Peg ... A great landscape , well done.

Pat Isaac
06-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Nice little landscape, Peg. I would tend to subdue the background greens so they go back and create some depth.

Pat

paul444
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Well here is my attempt at the lavender field. Its 8 X 11 on water colour paper using Senneliers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2010/82968-2010_0608leaving0002.JPG

marionh
06-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Paul this is really nice. Love your colours in this and the way you have achieved the texture on the trees.

Scattykat
06-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Vlad, really like this, and in 1.5 hours, like the rythem you.ve enhanced with you pastel strokes, brill...
Peg, lovely soft feel to your work, good textures and great distance in theose hills...
Paul, the lavender field is bursting with scrummy colour, love it...
...love the refs Marion, hope to jump on board sometime this month...:wave:

VladK
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you Paul and Scatty:music:

Paul, very nice landscape, the colors are great.

GOSH
06-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Hi Marion, thank you for hosting this months challenge :wave:
Paul & PainterlyPeg: Beautifully rendered. Love how you both did the clouds.
Scarefishcrow: the light turned my very pink and blue (no yellow at all) into a very yellow and warm landscape. As usual, completely different in natural light.
VladK: Love your ratatouille.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2010/143278-S7301168_.jpg

Watercolor paper, primed, Senneliers #95, 84, 46, 209228, 223 and 217. Used a small amount of turpenoid but nothing to make a real difference.

Pat Isaac
06-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I like the warm feel to this and especially the panoramic format.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Here is my ratatouille, a bit of impressionistic:wink2: Erengis on 9x12 Strathmore sketch paper. I spent about 1.5 hours and really enjoyed it:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2010/204616-IMG_4554_s.jpg

Thank you for feedback

Great job, Vlad. I would say it has more of a postimpressionist, "Cezanne" look to it.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Peg, Paul and GOSH: All three of your interpretations of the landscape are great and unique in their viewpoint.

Good job on all of them!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

VladK
06-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Thank you Gosh and Bill:music:

Here is my landscape, Senns only on 9x12 charcoal paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2010/204616-IMG_4566_s.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Nicely done, Vlad, but the horizon line seems a little tilted or it could be the camera angle.

Pat

marionh
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
GOSH I like your format - it suits the painting very well. I also like the atmosphere it has.

Vlad - nicely done. I like your colour variations in the lavender. (I didn't notice anything amiss with the horizon line) - I like your looseness in this one.
What is charcoal paper?

marionh
06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
I've had a brief respite from visitors this afternoon and did a little more to mine. I thought I would post my WIP so far as I possibly won't be able to do anymore until next week.

30x40cm on gessoed mountboard

Stage 1 - messy underpainting with water soluble neopastel II
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2010/42113-rat_stage1+_800x600.jpg
I've used the neopastels for the underpainting a few times now and find I quite like it.

Stage 2 + some
Starting to make the colours look real. I also continued on with the veg in the bowl to stage 3 in some parts. (I know .... the bowl nees much work:lol: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2010/42113-rat_stage2+_800x600.jpg

VladK
06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Thank you, Pat for a feedback. I checked again and noticed that horizon is in tact with reference picture, it goes up the slope from left to right, it may be the clouds that go over the distant mountains make it look tilted:angel: .

Marion, thank you. I tried to make it like moving with mountain wind...
Charcoal paper is paper for charcoal, Starthmore brand:
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Paper/Drawing-and-Multimedia-Paper-and-Boards/Strathmore-Paper-Pads-and-Boards/Strathmore-500-Charcoal-Paper.htm

Pretty good for oil pastels, smoother than pastel paper. I try different kinds while I can:wink2:

I like your start on still life so much. Nice colors on underpainting, they will give you vibrancy at the end:music: .

GOSH
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks Pat, Bill, Vlad and Marion.
You're right, Vlad, the photo is tilted or the landscape is. I solved the issue the lazy way and decided not to do the sky and the mountains, that is why I used the panoramic view. Right now I'm doing the next challenge photo and Bills gracious gift of the oil pencils are coming in handy. I covered a small piece of paper with the oil pencil color very lightly and then passed the Senn white over it and I was impressed.

Marion, your still life is shaping up to be awesome.

Pat Isaac
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Nice start, Marion....lokking forward to the updates.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Vlad, nice work on the lavender field. I really like the contrast between the foreground and the deep lavender.

Marion, your starts look like my finishes!! Pulling up a chair to watch.

Bill

SusieQ6833
06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Everybody's work looks so good! :thumbsup: :clap: :grouphug:

OK, this is my try. I feel it is a WIP as I am not happy with the trees or bushes. Any suggestions? This may be my last OP until the weather cools off. The humidity here is making my "student" grade OPs soft and too messy to work with (IMO). My signature is scratched in with a pallete knife. Should I change that too? This work is 8x10 and on 110# cardstock using a mix of Reeves and Cray-Pas Expressionists.

Thanks for looking! :music: :) :music:

SusieQ

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/222219-DSC_0032_LavendarFields_061610SM.JPG

Scattykat
06-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Gosh, cool format, pleasingly different...
Vlad more great colours, and lovely upsweep feel...
Marion, neat interpretation, like the colour shift...
SusieQ, nice undulating tranquility here...
hope to have a bash at this challenge sometime, chow...

VladK
06-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Thank you Bill and Scatty:music:

SusieQ, nice colors

stee71
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Peg, Gosh, Paul, Susie & Vlad i like the different interpretations of the lavender landscape, each one is so unique. Vlad and Marion 'bravo' on tackling the still life....i don't know where i would even start on that one so i take my hat off to you.
Like most people so far I opted for the landscape (i can't resist anything with trees - i'm such a hippy at heart). I did a crop as i wanted the stand of trees in the middle ground to take centre stage. 12" x 9" on primed watercolour paper using homemade green OP's and neopastel purple and black as i haven't made any purples or darks yet :) .....took about 2 hrs in total.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2010/177539-lavendarIMG_3533_800x600.JPG

Scattykat
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Steve, thats a beaut, love the crop and colour...
...ok, here's my offering, I cropped into the trees in the middle too, but didn't make nearly such a fine job as others in the thread, but hey ho, tis all a learning curve. A4 size, mainly senneliars, about an hour, don't have any mauves, they are now on mee wish list...

thanks for the refs, chow :wave:

GOSH
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Great how you did the color blocking. Now all you have to do is add in the details :wave:

Everybody's work looks so good! :thumbsup: :clap: :grouphug:

OK, this is my try. I feel it is a WIP as I am not happy with the trees or bushes. Any suggestions? This may be my last OP until the weather cools off. The humidity here is making my "student" grade OPs soft and too messy to work with (IMO). My signature is scratched in with a pallete knife. Should I change that too? This work is 8x10 and on 110# cardstock using a mix of Reeves and Cray-Pas Expressionists.

Thanks for looking! :music: :) :music:

SusieQ

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/222219-DSC_0032_LavendarFields_061610SM.JPG

stee71
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I like the crop Scatty, and the colours are electric....Steve

GOSH
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
:thumbsup: Terrific! @ stee71 Beautifully rendered. I like how you did the lavender fields and the shade under the trees.

VladK
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Skatty, it's beautiful, so radiant colors, great work, love it
Steve, what a wonderful rendering, full of sunshine and life, colors are really great. And such nice greens you made. Also, thank you for a feedback.

Pat Isaac
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Very nice Steve and those homemade greens are wonderful.
Scatty, great piece. The color and design give it an abstract feel.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-20-2010, 01:46 PM
SusieQ: Great start, as GOSH said.

Steve: What a wonderful job on this. I especially like the subtle textures you achieved in the lavender fields. Your treas are great, also.

Skatty: I agree with Steve, electric colors and you are right it is always a learning experience.

Bill

marionh
06-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Susie Q
I like your colour combo so far :clap: and I agree with Gosh, some more variation in colour and details on top will take this to another level. I've heard that putting your OPs in the fridge helps.

Stee
Marvellous :thumbsup: your colours just sing out. I thought it was a soft pastel at first as you've managed to get such good perspective on this.

Scatty
Great interpretation, I love the attitude of those trees :D. Your lavender reads well - and that pink with that green -yummy

marionh
06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
OK - back on track now - all my visitors have gone :D
I managed to get some painting in today.

My still life has progressed a little. Since the last post I worked some of it a little more but I was unhappy with the OP on my support. My brush marks from the gesso were too pronounced for my liking (works well with acrylic but not with OPS maybe I need to sand between coats) so I went over it all with a brush slightly moisted with white spirits and here is the result
It went from this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/42113-rat_stage_2.1_6_800x600.JPG

To this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/42113-rat_stage_2.2_6_800x600.JPG

I'm much happier with it now and shall continue tomorrow. I shall have to watch those kisses and ellipses :lol:

marionh
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I've also started on the landscape

30x40cm also on gessoed mountboard

Here is the underpainting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/42113-Lavender_fields_stage_1_4_800x600.JPG

Didn't stop to take a photo of stage 2 so this iswhat I would call stage 3
(although I didn't really stick with my usual 4 stage process :D )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2010/42113-Lavender_fields_stage_2_3_800x600.JPG

I have since done some more and will take a pic tomorrow and upload it.

VladK
06-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Marion,
Great progress on still life - coming out really well. And landscape looks very promising, I like the underpainting colors you choose.

Scarefishcrow
06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Marion, Great progress on both. I have started the landscape on Strathmore WC (approx. 17" x 11" ) paper and sketched it in with Royal Talens VG Watercolor Pencils then brushed them out to creat an underpainting to work from. So here is my start:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2010/108067-lsundp.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BILL
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Pat Isaac
06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
What a great start, Bill. Looking forward to the finish. Nice to see you working again.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
06-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks Pat. However, best you define "working" since my DW might not agree that this was "work".:lol:

Maybe nice to see me "painting" again!:rolleyes:

Actually, we best not say too much lest those not yet retired find out our dirty little secret that sometimes retirement can make you wonder where you ever found the time to work in the first place????

Woe be the retiree that does not quickly learn the art of saying NO and meaning it!!:lol:

Bill

What a great start, Bill. Looking forward to the finish. Nice to see you working again.

Pat

GOSH
06-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Nice underpainting, Bill.

Marionh, your French lavender is looking vibrant.

GOSH
06-27-2010, 03:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/143278-S7301191_.jpg

This is what's been done so far. It's going to have more details added with the wax and spatula.

marionh
06-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Bill, great start and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

marionh
06-27-2010, 03:11 AM
GOSH those veg look good enough to eat. Love the light in this. What size is it? - it looks large.

GOSH
06-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Thank you, Marion. I think the size is 12"x16", canvas on plywood, underlayer is an old ugly oil painting. OP's are Pentels and Cray Pas with wax impasto medium.

I've got some issues with the bottom of the bottle.:wave:

Pat Isaac
06-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Looking good, Gosh. Interesting texture, how do you like the wax medium?

Bill, yes, I need to retire again....:lol: so I can "paint" more.

Pat

marionh
06-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I think I am calling this finished, unless someone sees something that might need changing. I've corrected the fields that were falling off the page and used artistic licence for the foreground. What do you think?

Lavender Fields on gessoed mountboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/42113-Lavender_fields_final_800x600.jpg

C and Cs welcome.

GOSH
06-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Looking good, Gosh. Interesting texture, how do you like the wax medium?

Bill, yes, I need to retire again....:lol: so I can "paint" more.

Pat

Thank you, Pat. I'm not sure yet. It takes a long time to dry and harden but the colors seem to become brighter against the ones spread on the background. Seems to be very forgiving and provide a nice effect. I wish it was more of a thick gel than a wax so the colors would have that translucent quality to them when mixed.

GOSH
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Marionh, you have made the most delightful lavender field, with the beautiful details in the field. Great use of color and attention to the sky and hills. :clap::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Looks good so far, GOSH. One nit pick, the lid to the bowl looks "wonky" for some reason to me. Perhaps the shadowing makes the knob on top look tilted and the size appears a tad small to me for the bowl. (Just suggestions to look at.)

Thanks for your comments, I hope I can get some OP on it soon.

Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/143278-S7301191_.jpg

This is what's been done so far. It's going to have more details added with the wax and spatula.

Scarefishcrow
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Marion, wonderful interpretation of the lavender fields. I like the way you have simplified and strengthened the atmospheric perspective. Very good sense of depth. Also like how you handled the foreground and the rocks and shadows.

The angle of the sun is such that the shadowing is very tricky to handle, it seems to me, so good job.

Bill

I think I am calling this finished, unless someone sees something that might need changing. I've corrected the fields that were falling off the page and used artistic licence for the foreground. What do you think?

Lavender Fields on gessoed mountboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2010/42113-Lavender_fields_final_800x600.jpg

C and Cs welcome.

GOSH
06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Bill, I agree with you.

Scarefishcrow
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi Bill, I agree with you.

Gee, that doesn't happen very often to me most of the time, GOSH. :lol: :lol:

I took a first stab at layering some OP (Neopastels) on the VG WC pencil underpainting of the landscape. It needs more work in most areas, but your comments are welcome.

Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/108067-2010-06-28_15-06-21_-_0014.JPG

RainySea
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Just looking through the thread for this month and WOW, some beautiful work by everyone! Its so fun to see the different interpretations of the same images. I love it.

hollyga
06-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi all - This has been a crazy month for me - got called in to work on several of my days off and then got called in 2 hours early several days, too. Looks good on my paycheck but certainly does cut into my painting time!!

Everyone has done such a fantastic job of this month's challenges. A couple of you encouraged me to crop the vegetable still life, which I did. I tried to do the checkered table cloth but just couldn't pull it off.

I have started the landscape, too, but won't be able to finish it up until the weekend so I guess I'll post that one late.

Thanks, Marion, for hosting this month and for such great references!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2010/129659-P1010427-crop-1_1600x1200.JPG

This is approximately 9 x 12 done entirely with Neo's.

aolaranora
06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Good evening, dear artists!

It is too bad, I didn't have time to comment and/or participate this month.

Marion, thank you for hosting! You have chosen such a great references (not easy ones too!) and all paintings are looking wonderful.
:clap: :clap:

June is almost over (but you still have some extra time to post!) and I'll be hosting the challenge for upcoming month of July. Hope you will do just as well as you did during this month and we all will see lots of great paintings ...

See you all soon on July's thread!

VladK
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Bill, great start with underpainting.
Gosh, very interesting and intriguing start.
Marion, very well done, I like feeling of space you convey
Holly, you did a wonderful work, I like it very much. Good crop, too. Remember, you said you have lots of unfinished works - here is example of the opposite:clap:

Marion, I liked your ratatouille very much, decided to enlarge it, here's what I've ended up with: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8856160#post8856160

That's why I did not have time to do your last photo:wink2:

Scarefishcrow
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Vlad, thanks and what a great job on both the OP AND Oil versions of the still life.

Holly, great work on the crop of the still life.

Marion, thanks for wonderful references and hosting the challenge.

Tatiana, see you in the July thread!

Rainy, thanks for you comments.

BILL

truck driver
07-02-2010, 05:56 AM
ok
this requires a grass tutorial Very well done.. so how bout it you wanna show us how you did this?
RG
Peg, Gosh, Paul, Susie & Vlad i like the different interpretations of the lavender landscape, each one is so unique. Vlad and Marion 'bravo' on tackling the still life....i don't know where i would even start on that one so i take my hat off to you.
Like most people so far I opted for the landscape (i can't resist anything with trees - i'm such a hippy at heart). I did a crop as i wanted the stand of trees in the middle ground to take centre stage. 12" x 9" on primed watercolour paper using homemade green OP's and neopastel purple and black as i haven't made any purples or darks yet :) .....took about 2 hrs in total.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2010/177539-lavendarIMG_3533_800x600.JPG

oldrockchick
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to join in this month. With being away so long, all the organising beforehabnd and sorting out and catching up after. I did save one of the images I'll try to fit in when I can. I'm suffering a bit atm. Lovely images though and ty for hosting.

hollyga
07-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks Vlad and Bill - Vlad, your comment is just too kind - - I did try o do it fast, but I just don't think I can do "fast"! Wish I had more time to comment on everyone's posts, but June sort of escaped me - looks like July will be just about the same.

GOSH
07-05-2010, 05:03 AM
What! June is over?

hollyga
07-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, June is over and I'm still trying to put on the brakes - - but it's NOT working!!! I must have started this one after one of my 12 hour work days with almost no sleep - - I forgot to prep the paper! :( There's probably a lot more I could do to it, but I won't since it's not going to be a keeper anyway. At least I sort of finally finished it - today!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2010/129659-P1010428-crop-1_1600x1200.JPG

Sorry for being so late! Oops - almost forgot - it's about 8 x 10, 130 lb un-prepped w/c paper, Neopastels. (I'm REALLY liking the Neos!)

Pat Isaac
07-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Still looks quitenice Holly...Nice soft colors.

Pat

hollyga
07-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks, Pat. I really like this ref photo and I am sort of pleased with my rendition of it. I just wish I had prepped the paper! If I had, I would go back in and correct some of the things that need work - as it is, I don't think it will accept any more color and since it won't hold up anyway, I'm not going to mess with it any more. This might be one I will revisit later and do it right. :lol:

Scarefishcrow
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Holly, I second Pat's comments. You did a very nice job.

Never too late to finish and post.

Bill

hollyga
07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Bill - I did have fun with this one even if I didn't start it right.

Turpintine45
07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi Holly, I really like your still life you did a realistic job with great colours,and I really like your soft landscape. I haven't touched a pastel since I got back so I must get to it. Jen

hollyga
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi, back at you, Jen - Thanks for your kind comments! You need to pick up some "oilys" and play with us here! Had loads of fun with those two but I don't know if I will have time to work on any of the July challenges.

uneekfish
08-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks Pat. However, best you define "working" since my DW might not agree that this was "work".:lol:

Maybe nice to see me "painting" again!:rolleyes:

Actually, we best not say too much lest those not yet retired find out our dirty little secret that sometimes retirement can make you wonder where you ever found the time to work in the first place????

Woe be the retiree that does not quickly learn the art of saying NO and meaning it!!:lol:

Bill

I hear the real problem with retirment is that you never get a day off... :)