PDA

View Full Version : Feline adventures

jacquip
06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I have 3 cats at home and have finally started getting brave enough to start sketching them. I have wanted to draw them for such a long time but never had the courage. I am going slowly (mostly) and hoping to develop my skills. I am also trying different mediums - pen, pencil, watercolour, whatever grabs me at the time. I'll also be trying some from photos for those "tricky" poses. Most drawings will be my own cats but I am sure a friendly looking stranger or two will pop in now and then.

So here are some of my first from life attempts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/185124-cats2-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/185124-cats3-sml.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/185124-cats7-sml.jpg

These ones I did from photos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/185124-cats5-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/185124-cats6-sml.jpg
I am happy with the faces but the leg isn't as good. The paw isn't big enough. Didn't notice it till now.

Thanks for looking
Jacqui

prismalos
06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Nice details on the face! I like the profile sketches too. I hope you're not having much trouble with the cat moving all the time. :D

robertsloan2
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Beautiful life sketches! Thank you for bringing them all together in one place and adding your sketches from photos. Lovely cats from photos! Love the look on the face of the upper left one, that "You wanted my attention for what?" look. Gorgeous profile, you got the length of the head and graceful lines of the chin and muzzle so well -- looks like a huntress on the prowl! Beautiful liquid luminescent eye, fantastic.

If the paw is too small in relation to the photo, you were sketching the paw and arm of a male cat. The paw is just right for a dainty female like Gemini, not too small at all for a queen. Paws are one of the most obvious secondary sex characteristics in cats, males have usually got quite big paws and females may have unusually small paws. Individuals vary of course, you can get dainty-pawed males and bigfoot females, but generally this holds true.

Ari's got gigantic fluffy feet while Gemini has particularly tiny paws, our two cats are pretty extreme in that way and he's twice her size. Males are also more likely to have wide cheek fluffs. Again, this varies and sometimes depends on the age a male gets neutered.

mhimeswc
06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Good job so far on your feline sketchbook. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your favorite cats.

jacquip
06-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks Raymond and Mickey. Robert I want to thank you so much for always being so giving and generous with your feedback and information and support. I have learnt so much from you and I truly appreciate it. I never knew that about the male and female paws. Yes it was a male paw I was trying to draw. In this household the male cats are long and sleek and the female is very round and fluffy. She also has legs like treetrunks, very big heavy and strong with matching feet. And I know its not all fur :) I'll be paying more attention to those small details in future.

Thanks again to all for looking,
Jacqui

purpalia
06-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Jacqui, thank you so much for sharing! Love the face and the eye :) I relly am looking to see more of your drawings! :cat:

DrDebby
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Lovely kitty sketches. Getting life pictures from cats is hard. These are great. That face from a photo is so classically "cat". Looking forward to seeing more.

robertsloan2
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Jacqui, that's what I thought. Because your drawing had perfect proportions for our female cat Gemini -- she has particularly dainty paws but not beyond the norm. More the tiny-delicate side of the norm. Ari has huge paws and then extra fur on top of that with the toe tufts to add to it, so they look even bigger. But you can tell when they scratch something what the claw spread really is under the fluff.

Hair texture can strongly affect a cat's looks. How thick the undercoat of the fur is will affect it. A lot of undercoat will make a cat who's skinny look solid, stout and stocky, while a thin undercoat can make a cat look rangier and bonier. Your girl cat may just be very plushy or she might have super-muscled panther limbs or both. But the best guide to how much is fur is to get her swiping at something that holds a mark and look at the claw marks spread.

robertsloan2
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Jacqui, that's what I thought. Because your drawing had perfect proportions for our female cat Gemini -- she has particularly dainty paws but not beyond the norm. More the tiny-delicate side of the norm. Ari has huge paws and then extra fur on top of that with the toe tufts to add to it, so they look even bigger. But you can tell when they scratch something what the claw spread really is under the fluff.

Hair texture can strongly affect a cat's looks. How thick the undercoat of the fur is will affect it. A lot of undercoat will make a cat who's skinny look solid, stout and stocky, while a thin undercoat can make a cat look rangier and bonier. Your girl cat may just be very plushy or she might have super-muscled panther limbs or both. But the best guide to how much is fur is to get her swiping at something that holds a mark and look at the claw marks spread.

Or give the cat a flea bath, but that's taking your life in your hands. lol

WC Lee
06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
good work on the sketches from life getting the basic shape down first then working on the details. Looking forward to see your progression.

sketching animals from life is really difficult, it seems like as soon as you want to take a picture or do a sketch .. they get up and move :D

jacquip
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks Raymond, Debbie, WC Lee and Robert. I had a closer look and feel of her paws and she does have a very thick undercoat. I'm sure that will make her feel better as she gets offended if you call her chunky. I guess thick undercoat is like being big boned for a human :)

jacquip
06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I found a sketch I did of Tristan when he was a kitten, from a photo. Was done a little while ago, and I think I have improved since then. The paw and ear studies are from life. I'm slowly trying to get all the pieces and then put them together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2010/185124-cat-sketches-sml.jpg
Thanks for looking

Jacqui

RiJoRi
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
You have captured Tristan's attitude very well! I can see he's about to race off after something real or 'maginary. Kittens are cute at that stage, unless their target is your leg! :D

--Rich

DrDebby
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Great pose on the kitten. Your studies of ears and paws are really good.

jacquip
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Rich, I loved the pose. He is still so playful now, which is great.

thanks Debby.

robertsloan2
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Fantastic pose! You caught the point when Tristan's rear end is still laying down relaxed while his front end's already starting to get up and tear off in the opposite direction! I love those moments. Beautiful paw and ear studies on that page too. I love your journal. Keep drawing your cats!

Vivien Maloney
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi there Jacqui - Hadn't checked this Forum for a while so didn't know you had a Journal in it. Love you cat drawings, and yes, you have improved dramatically (must be the Scavenger Hunt that's doing it). I love your sketch of Tristan as a kitten. Looking forward to more cat sketches from you.

jacquip
06-09-2010, 09:26 AM
No new sketches at the moment, lost a bit of momentum. But just wanted to share with you that to help get back into things, I have resurrected a blog I started 3 years ago when I got my boys. It is short stories of their antics and personalities, and I will be adding some of my sketches and drawings there, as well as here. Just thought I'd let you know if you want to have a look and find out a bit more about my babies. The link is in my sig line.

jacquip
06-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Here are some more cat sketches done from life for the scavenger hunt. They each got at least part of themselves in this time.

Devi is a very clever girl and knows how to push her head into the venetian blinds to look outside. Her face does get a bit squashed at times, but it always looks cute. Pencil sketch.

Jaspers tail, watercolour washes and pen. I didn't get his markings to show very well.

Tristan snoozing on the back of my chair. It is winter here so they are all enjoying napping in the warm lounge room. Watercolour done on cheap paper that doesn't blend the washes very well.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2010/185124-hunt-180a-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2010/185124-hunt180b-sml.jpg

robertsloan2
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
They are so cool. Devi looking through the blinds is gorgeous, great pose. It comes natural if they have blinds. Jasper's tail is well painted, love the fur texture even if the markings don't really show much. Tristan looks very comfortable on the back of the couch -- that is to say, the cat seats. Any decent couch designer knows you need the deep seats for humans and the cats will always want the highest seats, so making them cat-width is just sensible.

Joan T
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Jacqui - Great poses and sketches. I like your fur textures in these. I'm sure you'll have this journal filled before you know it.

DrDebby
06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Cat-tastic! Yup, cats and blinds. :lol: I had one that would push the blinds apart to get between the blinds and the window, then couldn't figure out how to get back out again. :cat:

jacquip
06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Robert thanks, Devi is the only one of the 3 who has figured out how to do that, the other 2 just hope she has left it open or I have to do it for them. She is so clever. Backs of seats are always in demand and being used. Sometimes it is hard to find any seat to sit on as they are all taken with cats. I hate moving them.

Glad you like them Joan.

Debby that is so cute. Funny how they manage to get into spots and then not sure how to get back out. Can see the look on their faces saying but it looked easy from the other side.

robertsloan2
06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I know that feeling, Jacqui. I've had that discussion with Ari a few times about my chair when I come back from the bathroom to find him in it. Once in a while I can scoop him up fast enough he doesn't realize what's going on till I've sat down and gently lowered him onto my lap. If I do it right, he doesn't mind and settles in to relax again.

jacquip
06-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Here is a page of quick biro sketches of the babies I did today. Not the best but hopefully starting to get there. There is some weird expressions in this lot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2010/185124-cat-sketches-8-pen-sml.jpg

mhimeswc
06-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Wonderful facial portraits of your "babies". :-)

robertsloan2
06-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Beautiful quick cat sketches. Jasper smiles in his sleep. That's so cool. All of these are full of love and attention. You're getting good at their proportions. The white cat sitting up is elegant. These are great, and their expressions are very natural. I've seen all those expressions many times.

You're coming along great with these, keep sketching them! Every time you do, you get better at knowing their features and expressions and anatomy. Sketching with biro is a bit daring, unless you block in with pencil first. I wouldn't worry too much about minor errors other than understanding them and correcting them in the next sketch. All of these have a lot of warmth to them and the cats' personalities come through so well.

jacquip
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks Michelle.

Robert thankyou. I do love them all and am glad that shows up in my sketches of them. I don't mind sketching with a pen or biro as it tends to free me up. I don't expect perfection and tend to just go for it rather than labouring over small details too much and getting frustrated.

I will keep at it.

DrDebby
06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
More wonderful cat sketches. These are great.

eyepaint
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Yay kitty! I like the one in post 19 laying facing away from us on the back of the sofa.

Vivien Maloney
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Love the expressions on the babies faces! Priceless - well done!

JTMB
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi Jacqui,

I finally got around to looking at your journal. I'm more of a dog than a cat person, but I like all animals, and your sketches are very good. Keep up the posts!

However, I do feel you missed a tremendous opportunity for your journal name - how about "Cat Sketch Fever"?! :o :lol:

No doubt someone else already thought of and used this, but it was a new thought to me - and I'm at the age where any thought that even might be original is worth celebrating...

robertsloan2
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
John, I like that title. It could be a project open to everyone that draws their cats, asleep or awake, from photos or from life... it'd be cool. You mind if I start that project?

JTMB
06-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Hi Robert,

No problem starting a project with the name. Have fun!

Joan T
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I love the last page of faces...great expressions!

robertsloan2
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi John! Did it -- as soon as a moderator approves, it will appear in the Animal & Wildlife subject forum.

Jakesgram
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow Jacqui! You're already doing great feline sketches and if you just started, these are amazing. Also, I can see improvement just in the short time you've been posting this thread.

Love them all, but I do have a couple of favorites:

The kitten picture of Tristan looking over his shoulder
Devi pushing her nose through the blinds
The whole last page of mostly kitty faces

Nice work on all of them. Looking forward to more!

Jean

jacquip
06-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments, I truly appreciate it. I haven't been doing much art the last couple of weeks but you all motivate me to get back into it.

John great title, will look out for the project Robert.

robertsloan2
06-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks! It's been approved and it's up -- please feel free to include these sketches in it too. It's up in the Animals and Wildlife forum (the discussion thread is, the project's in the Projects System).

jacquip
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
I haven't been doing much drawing or sketching lately but got a few done yesterday. Gee I miss it when I stop, and then its a great relief to start again, I forget just how much I love it.

Quick sketch of the two boys curled up in front of the heater. They have grown up together and are always happy to share the same space. I love the way they use each other as pillows.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2010/185124-cat-boys-heater-ball-sml.jpg

Pen and watercolour of Tristan, from life. I got a bit heavy handed with the watercolour and you can't really see the pen.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2010/185124-hunt-182-b-sml.jpg

mhimeswc
06-27-2010, 06:58 AM
The sketch of the two "boys" curled up together is so sweet! Tristan looks ready to pounce in the other one. Nice sketches!

DrDebby
06-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Great sketch of curled up kitties. I would think that having a black cat, the ink work would be less visible. It's still a great sketch. Especially done from like.

robertsloan2
06-27-2010, 04:43 PM
I saw Tristan in the Scavenger Hunt thread, but still love that painting. It's wonderful. You captured his character and such a beautiful pose.

The two boys curled up together by the heater are wonderful! That's a wonderful pose too. So completely natural and unselfconscious. Ari sometimes goes to sleep leaning on me like that, and then I can't move my arm until he gets up or moves.

jacquip
06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Michelle thanks so much. I am constantly saying "ahhh" when I see them together like that. I kept trying to get a good photo of them but then realised I should just be drawing them instead, nearly missed a great opportunity there. Tristan's head is a bit off in the painting as he kept moving it around and I'd have to wait for him to look back in the same general direction again to check things, but then he got self conscious and left to find something more interesting.

Debby thanks so much.

Robert thank you I feel honoured that you like the painting so much. When I'm at the computer desk Tristan will sometimes come and lay down and rest his head on my arm and I have to be careful not to move too much. Having his attention is more important than anything else I might have been doing.

jacquip
07-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Finally getting around to doing some more sketches of the babies. These are from photos, A5 done in fountain pen, non waterproof ink so blended for wash.

First image is them when they were little babies and used to roll up and sleep together. Jaspers head is resting on Tristans neck, so cute. I didn't do Tristans head very well, the angle got too much for me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-pen-and-ink-c-sml.jpg

This is a fairly recent image of Tristan, again A5 in fountain pen. He was reaching up to grab at something he was playing with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-pen-and-ink-d-sml.jpg

Hope they make you smile.

virgo68
07-11-2010, 04:52 AM
very cute and yes, they made me smile! I like the way you have captured the stance of Tristan ready to snaffle a treat!

dolors
07-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Very inspiring! After seeing your beautiful drawings I am thinking of starting a sketchbook of my cat! but only if she sleeps... :lol: Thank you for sharing.

jacquip
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Jackie thanks. Tristan was playing a piece of string, he loves catching and grabbing at toys.

Dolors thank you so much too. I hope you do start doing some sketches of your cat. I've only been doing drawing sketches or using some of the many photos I have of them to build up some confidence. Give it a go.

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Dolors, that's the best way to start drawing your cat. Drawing her while she sleeps will give you lots of different poses and eventually after a few dozen of them, you can get a feel for the shape of her body in motion. I did and still do lots of sleeping Ari sketches, that's what I do on bad days if I'm not up to anything else. Also drawing your cat from photos is good too.

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Finally getting around to doing some more sketches of the babies. These are from photos, A5 done in fountain pen, non waterproof ink so blended for wash.

First image is them when they were little babies and used to roll up and sleep together. Jaspers head is resting on Tristans neck, so cute. I didn't do Tristans head very well, the angle got too much for me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-pen-and-ink-c-sml.jpg

This is a fairly recent image of Tristan, again A5 in fountain pen. He was reaching up to grab at something he was playing with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-pen-and-ink-d-sml.jpg

Hope they make you smile.

They did! Both of these are great. Tristan reaching up is so cool and so real. I just saw Ari in that pose last night. The kittens snuggling is adorable and you got Tristan's face better than you thought. Beautiful cat drawings.

jacquip
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Robert. Glad they put a smile on a few faces.

DrDebby
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Cute kitties! The pose of Tristan reaching is just great. Snuggling kitties is adorable. Keep going.

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks Robert. Glad they put a smile on a few faces.

And a couple of purrs too. Ari likes cat pictures as much as I do.

TaniaBee
07-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Jackie - great cat pics. love them as kittens snuggling together :)

Vivien Maloney
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Jackie your cat sketches make me smile too. Love them. I haven't had a cat for many years (since our old cat died) but your sketches make me keen to get another one again.

jacquip
07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy sketching, just too lazy to get to the scanner.

This is a pen and wash of Tristan from a photo of him playing in the bird bath. He loves playing with water.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21f-sml.jpg

These are some gesture sketches done in sepia graphite from a cat book. I am hoping they will help me get more confident to start doing some from life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21g-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21h-sml.jpg

Then some faces from photos and life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21h-00-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21j-sml.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21k-sml.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/185124-sketches-july21l-sml.jpg
These were done in an A3 sketchbook and my scanner is A4 sized hence the overlap in images.

These made me realise that Jasper is much more of a tomcat than Tristan. But I knew that, just hadn't seen it in their faces so much.

Thanks for looking.

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Wow! Your latest ones are so lively. Wonderful poses. Bouncing all over the place. Tristan playing in the bird bath is gorgeous. I had no idea he was a water cat! That's so cool. You captured his practice fishing perfectly. (Obviously you need to raise guppies in the bird bath, right?)

That cat on his back looks so happy and satisfied! (Come play, I dare you, go for the fuzzy tummy!) Or (I want a tummy rub NOW, aren't I cute?) You never know which it is till you know the cat. Jasper's profile in two different moods is great. The half sleepy mustached look is wonderful, looks like Cat as Romantic Scoundrel if he were in a Disney movie. The Persian looks so fluffy and slightly huffy, but has sweet eyes. The bounding cats are fantastic.

Wonderful cat sketches! I love this journal.

DrDebby
07-21-2010, 01:28 AM
These are wonderful. I love the one of Tristan on the bird bath.

jacquip
07-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Robert these were so much fun to do. The action shots were done very quickly with a progresso solid graphite pencil and it felt like painting. Was a good way to do them. Tristan is definitely a water cat. I have photos of him splashing in the bath as well, and he frequently opens to shower door while I'm in there to come in and join me. Truly amazing. And so cute. It is Tristan on his back showing his belly, his favourtie sleeping pose. He does love a belly rub too.

Debby thanks heaps.

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 01:27 PM
That is so cool! It must be wonderful showering or bathing with Tristan. None of my cats have ever been water cats, though Ari likes to play lifeguard and look on disapprovingly while I bathe. He's worried that I'll get wet. He always comes in to watch just in case I drown. I guess he'd yell at me if I fell asleep in the tub or something.

Tristan sounds adorable. Liking a tummy rub is wonderful. More male cats do than female cats, maybe because spay scars bother the females. But Ari gets touchy about his fluffy tummy and treats it as an invitation to play "Got your paw." With four clawy paws and a gentle love bite to grab. There are very few circumstances where I can pet his fluffy tummy, and he's always right side up when I do. If he's wool biting, I can scritch his tummy while he's chewing on the blanket, that's it.

Vivien Maloney
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Lovely cat sketches. I love the cat lying on his back and the cat playing in the bird-bath. That one took me back a few years, and I remember our old cat doing the very same thing, many times.

jacquip
07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Tristan used to be a bit touchy about belly rubs but now he will lie there and I can gently stroke his belly for ages and he just loves it. I very privileged that he trusts me so much. And being a water cat is a whole new experience for me too. We keep one of their water bowls in the bathtub so he can splash around as much as he likes and I don't have to deal with wet floors. When he hears me turn the tap on to refill it he comes running. :)

Viv glad you like the sketches and they brought back some fond memories of your own dear cat.

virgo68
07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi Jacqui - maybe being an aussie cat makes him a water lover?!

I really like your birdbath sketch - a nice touch of whimsy, and the full page of action sketches will help you understand the basic anatomy therefore has to make it easier sketching from life. Look forward to seeing more :)

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Jacqui, that is so cool. I wish Ari enjoyed water. I bet Tristan's so funny when he's soaking wet and his fur's plastered down showing how little and thin he is under it. The few times Ari has had to be bathed he shrank to half the size -- he's still about half fur.

virgo68
07-22-2010, 12:46 AM
hehehe Robert - you should see a wet bunny - very scrawny and very funny!

robertsloan2
07-22-2010, 02:10 AM
I'll bet! Their fur is very similar.

TaniaBee
07-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Jacqui - these cat sketches are fabulous!! i love the one in the bird bath and all the facial expressions....
that one where he's laying on his back with this tummy on show, reminded me of my cat i used to have!!
Great sketchbook!! :)

eyepaint
07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Love your kitties in post #56 :)

jacquip
08-08-2010, 03:07 AM
These are some quick gesture drawings done of Jasper playing with the scratching post. He likes to chase his tail. He is so cute and funny. These were done from a series of photos rather than life. He is just too fast to do from life right now. I am fairly happy with how they came out. A fun page.

A3, sepia graphite pencil Is a bit dark as is too big for my scanner and had to take a photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2010/185124-aug-8-poledancing-sml.jpg

virgo68
08-08-2010, 05:55 AM
purrrrrfect! good job Jacqui!

robertsloan2
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Jacqui, these are delightful! What a wonderful series of poses. Jasper's a kick and a half. He's so cute attacking his scratching post, bouncing on it, falling down, kicking it, twirling around it. A good tail chase is improved by having an interesting obstacle in the way!

Magnificent sketches. Please keep them coming, your cats are so cool!

vhere
08-09-2010, 09:30 AM
these are really lovely action sketches :)

DrDebby
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Fun sketches. Great idea getting the series of actions around the scratch post.

Vivien Maloney
08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes it IS a fun page. Love it!