PDA

View Full Version : Sadie in Pink

allanom
05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-31-2010/4031_sadiePink600.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sadie in Pink
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 inches x 30 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Image is from a Kodachrome slide I shot of my late mother back in the mid-1970s.<br><br>Background is acrylic laid in with palette knife; figure is brushwork oil.<br><br>Painting is a new one in my ongoing 'Ties That Bind' series of works and will be included in the O'MARRA SQUARED series with my daughter, Emily.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

nate reed
05-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Allan,
Very nice. I love the extremely bold and bright colors.

tgsloth
05-31-2010, 01:46 PM
A happy day it is when there is a new O'Marra piece to view. OK, the expected skill is there so let's get right to the Tough Love. I think part of your style has been the employment of brilliant blue skies and often a lot of red in the figures. In my recollection, this works wonderfully on bright, seaside scenes. It looks more conflicted to me in a winter (no leaves) scene which one would expect to be muted so as to focus the viewer more on the figure. I offer a photoshop with said muting. Also, despite the shadow, she seems to be levitating.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/124239-4031_sadiePink600.jpg

Corby
05-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Allanom, beautiful work as always! There is something disconcerting about it though. TG's crit seems to alleviate that discomfort. When I consider the original my immediate thought is 'power boots' there is something otherworldly imparted to the lady that seems to center on them...call me weird...I have no defense.

allanom
05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
nate: Thanks for the kind comments!

Bob: I'm honoured by your happy anticipation and by your tough love. I will say that I stayed with the high colour values that were present in the Kodachrome in the painting -- the very reason I shot the photo in the first place. This is not unusual lighting on a late Canadian fall afternoon and one of my favourite (obviously) lighting scenarios. I will say that, because of the high amount of red and yellow in my palette, I have a very difficult time getting a good balance with my camera and, even, in my Photoshop adjustments to the file. My Mom is wearing brownish stockings that are warmed up by the late light, however, in the painting, they are not quite as fluorescent as they appear here. And she was wearing black shoes that are submerged in dark shadows which gives her the "floating" look you discern. I'm really not sure how I can adjust that....

Corby: Glad this works for you -- and suggest you read my response to Bob re: the "power boots"....:O)))

tgsloth
05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
A hah! The levitation issue is solved. Both Corby and I thought Mom was wearing bright red boots. Now I look more closely and see that this color is of stockings and she's got conventional lady's shoes. That brings her down to earth. Our confusion is probably only coming from the digital image and the painting is fine but if not, a couple of little highlight swipes should make the shoes more apparent. I did rather like the concept of Superhero Mom: Up, Up and Away!, though.

I want to continue the discussion of sky hue for a moment. You're absolutely correct that those Kodachromes would often yield an intense blue sky as does nature. The blue is comparatively low in value such that it will not be the lightest value in a painting. But the Landscape Gods decree that the sky, as the light source, must be lighter in value than anything else in the work, particularly vertical objects such as your Mom's coat. Why do the LG's say this if it's not particularly true in nature. The argument seems to be that a light sky opens up the painting and looks better even if it doesn't follow nature. I think this is so often seen in the works of old masters who would often come up with a high, warm value sky. Creamy really.

I append grayscales of your original and my lighter sky photoshop. It's obvious that the photoshop follows the dicta of the Landcape Gods whereas your original is in the heretical realm. Does the photoshop look better? Now that's the question. I think it does because the darker sky contrasting with the pink coat gives the coat a somewhat glowing feeling because of relative value.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/124239-4031_sadiePink600.jpg

kathrynlovespets
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Awesome painting. Quite a presence she has.

allanom
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Bob: Great comparison of Photoshop work-ups to demonstrate your point! However, ever the heretic, I'm going to stay with my intense blue sky and let it vibrate with my Mom's pink coat.

Kathryn: Merci, much appreciated.

Spyderbabe
06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I wish I was in your family so I'de have my portrait done too! ;-)