PDA

View Full Version : TENNESSEE BA--N

crazywoman53
05-29-2010, 05:18 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-29-2010/137465_DSCN6113_edited-1a_low.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: TENNESSEE BA--N
Year Created:
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11X17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have been busy the last month getting the garden and flower beds established, but I have finally crawled up out of the dirt and cleaned out my finge<br>ails so I can replace it with pastel dust. This was from a photo in the RIL, thanks to the photographer. I am still looking at it trying to decide what needs to be tweeked.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think the blue is photographing stronger than it really is in the flowers and on the ba<br>. As usual any c/c are welcome and appreciated as I am due for some fresh eyes.

crazywoman53
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Don't know what I did to the first photo but think this second one is more accurate to the real image.

lunchbox
05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Lovely. I would like to see the blue flowers go right off the paper in both directions. Very peaceful feeling in this one.

Corby
05-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi crazywoman! It is beautiful in its parts as your work always is. And the blue is always a problem in posting. I pretty well gave up on posting anything with a great deal of blue in it. I guess that is the same solution as avoiding R/N. Anyway about the painting. It seems to suffer from monotony. It is a series of uniform (more or less) horizontal strips. I think it needs broken up with some good verticals thrown in. You never fail to express your love of nature though. Good job on that!

greensyster
05-30-2010, 02:34 AM
I agree with Corby - and to remedy I was thinking make the side of the barn more a russet throw in an opening (say an ajar door or a window that has pull out panel) and make the eve come over the wall such that there can be a shadow to add further interest. Need the roof be so even? Do you have rusty roofs over there? Happy your garden has received attention :)

skappy
05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Crazywoman this is a wonderful painting I agre with Corby and Marie IMHO the blue flower can get out of the painting and it is true the background strips are a bit even. I am not an expert at all just try to help you if I can . when I opened your thread i said Wow it looks good
Robert:cat:

billmahler
05-31-2010, 12:43 AM
CW
The second foto is much better.
Good advice above (It's so great to have Corby back!)
You got excellent tech advice so I'll talk about the emotional content:
Something attracted you to that ref foto.
What exactly was it?
Can you express it in a simple, declarative sentence such as:
"I have a warm feeling when thinking about the people and animals associated with the barn's history."

Another might be:
"The barn seems dwarfed by the scope of the natural objects surrounding it."

I'm not getting that single thought back from this picture. Did you have one in mind?

MRSBB
06-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Hi Christine. Sorry I've been off a few days. I think it is a very nice painting. Maybe you could enhance the roof a little and throw in a few geese or a little bit of fencing back by the trees on the right for balance. Just my thoughts, actually I bet your working on it right now...........Lenore

kathrynlovespets
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Beautiful!!

crazywoman53
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Lunchbox... Yes I agree the flowers need to go all the across. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Corby..Thank you for your kind comments. Isn't it amazing how we as humans love to put things all in order whether it is rows, stripes, poles, trees etc. and yet it is visually not as pleasing as when it is randomized. I didn't even realise I was creating stipes but now that you pointed it out it is very apparent. I was aware that something extra was needed on the right hand side but just wasn't sure what to put there. Verticals are definately needed.

Marie... Yes we have rusty barn roofs here too. I guess I didn't want the barn to be a typical. Nice suggestions for a carpenter though. I'll see what I can do. lol.

Skappy.. Thank you.. I can always use help from anyone for what we each see all adds in to the final image.. hopefully a good one!

Bill.. You always make me think too hard! lol.. To be honest I didn't pick the photo based on feelings but more the fact that I liked the barn but felt the photo presented some compositional issues to improve on and I wanted to challenge myself to see what I could do with it. I'll post the photo so you all can see it. I guess it is ok to post it since it came from the RIL. Hopefully when I finish it, it will give you some emotional response.

Lenore.....HOpe you had a good Memorial weekend! Yes you are right. With reading what you all have posted I have been working on it and will post an update soon as I get it to the point I can rephotograph it.

tgsloth
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
This has been a great thread Christine. A fine painting and lots of thoughtful critiques. Here's my addition:
The bluebonnets are perhaps a bit over-gaudy, some muting might work better.
The far mountain line is pretty much depicted in one value following the photo. Maybe better to put some gradient notes in it. Photos flatten too much.

crazywoman53
06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks TG.. I have been reworking this painting. That back line hill has created a bigger problem solver than I anticipated. I took the lawn mower to the blue flowers.. now there is mostly just grass. One more night of painting and then have to get up earlier or sneak home early so I can catch some decent sun and hopefully get a better photo to post. It's getting closer... like one of your monsters sneaking up.. lol

crazywoman53
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I found the carpenter drunk in the top of the barn and had to fire him so no windows got built.. sorry Marie, but Lenore got her fence posts and hope everyone else got something they like better about this final version.. I guess it is final.. unless the group says otherwise. It's not much like the ref photo but at least no one can accuse me of copying the photo lol!

Harry Seymour
06-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Crazywoman--you've gotten great comments on a lovely painting. Good luck with the update.

crazywoman53
06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Harry.. the last image posted is the updated version. Haven't seen you posting lately.. been busy??

jbart
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
This turned out great. No crits from me. Just beautiful.

MRSBB
06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Christine. Hey girlfriend thanks for putting my fence in the painting. I am in awe of pastel artist's and your painting is beautiful...........Lenore

crazywoman53
06-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks Jimmy.. glad you like it.

Lenore thank you as well and you are most welcome.. easiest fence I every built lol. I hope all is going well with your husband.

cotswoldlady
06-06-2010, 01:52 PM
its surprising what a few fence posts can do.

brushoff
06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi Crazywoman,

The barn in your photo extends out further and is lower to the ground than in your painting with more definition at the break. I think this would add more to your focal point.

crazywoman53
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Brushoff--I had the barn lower to the ground to begin with but the perspective just wasn't right and it looked like it was sinking into the ground. I am not sure what you mean by the break.. guess that is a barn term I have never heard.

Please enlighten me someone.

brushoff
06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
The barn as shown in the photo is typically what the barns in Tn. look like for whatever reason. There is a definite line where the upper barn meets the lower barn (break) and the lower barn is more elongated. Hope this makes better sense to you. Apologize for not being more clear.

Bis007
06-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Greetings CrW53!This is such a peaceful scene!!:heart:-am looking for my blanket, picnic basket and a good book. Wish to live there forever! Thanks for sharing.

crazywoman53
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
brushoff... yes I realised I shortened that section. I guess it mutated to a Virginia barn whether I liked it or not. Might think about adding that back. Now I learned a new word. Thanks for clearifying.

Bis007.. so glad you liked it. YOu have the exact expression I was hoping to impart. My cousin told me it makes her want to lie down in the pasture and watch the clouds float by... now if only Bill M. would have a positive feeling from it.

cathaden
06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Your rework is perfect. my eye flows through all the picture. Very pretty scene.

Corby
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Crazy! Nice to follow the metamorphosis of this. It now has the look and feel of what I know in my mind as Tennessee? Having never been there I am no authority. I appreciate seeing the reference, because now I can see your changes. I have reposted the reference with changes made to it that I feel visually enhance it (maybe not the animal?) Anyway it leads me to my only crit in comparison with your final. My crit is a subjective one. I like the open sky and wide expanse feel of the reference more than the enclosed wooded dale feel of the painting. Part of this change of feeling has to do I know with the change of format dimensions. Maybe my notes on the reference will be useful. It does away with the kiss of the trees and the far horizon line and throws the barn at us by raising the height of the central tree...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2010/70790-newbarn.jpg

crazywoman53
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Cathaden.. thank you for your kind comments. Glad you enjoy it!

Corby, thanks for your added suggestions. I originally picked this photo because of the compositional challenges it offered. I see that your work up is one I partially considered but obviously didn't do. I attempted to put an animal in there but the painting is too small... on the Wallis paper it looked like a blob so the animal got 86'd. I also thought about growing the foreground tree but opted to move them behind the barn and eliminate them in front to see more of the barn. But I think the version you present with a taller tree is interesting as well. I don't think I will change the painting now but I may decide to paint this scene again just to see what I can pull out for a different mood or feel. I still feel the biggest challenge to this photo is filling the right side of the painting so it is not boring and the painting is not unbalanced. Any other suggestions other than an animal.. or perhaps a larger format?