PDA

View Full Version : JuliaK sketchbook 1

JuliaK
05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, this is a placeholder. I will soon begin adding my first images.

I want to explain before I start what my thinking is on this project. I shouldn't allow fear of judgment to guide my choices, but in reviewing past sketchbooks, I found something in each of them that I felt inappropriate to share for various reasons. I understand that I could leave them out, but this sketchbook/journal-sharing process means something very specific to me (as I'm sure it does to everyone). For some reason, I see it as a requirement for complete transparency and -- resisting the urge to analyze myself -- that's exactly the track I will take.

Having said that, If I'm not willing to completely expose my former sketchbooks, then I need to start anew, creating one, then another, and so on, specifically to display here. I'll be honest with you and tell you that I'll certainly have a second one going at the same time that's for me alone. Please don't feel like you're being given table scraps, or that I don't trust you or welcome your feedback on my other work. I have ideas that would die a sad, quiet death if exposed to the light of day; they are small, fragile creatures, and I'm determined to respect their weaknesses.

I have to go to work, so I can't start today, but I did want to plant a flag in the ground. BTW, the reason it has taken me so long to start this is that I've had some basic incompatibility with (I assume) my browser that wouldn't let me start a new thread or edit an old one. I could comment in one already established, but that's it. Somehow that has changed, through no efforts of my own, so I can now become a contributor on this site.

Anyway, see you soon.

robertsloan2
05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I am looking forward to this! Please do! I conquered that self consciousness by just adding a little text to the post, like "I don't like this page's layout and I know I could've done a lot better with this image on it, but I like the other one. Here it is."

Sometimes other people show me something about the bad pages that I didn't realize was working well. Other times someone would suggest a fix that improved it. The big thing was dating anything. I can see the improvement fast.

I don't have all my sketchbooks posted, but I do post the bad drawings in the ones I have going. I don't need to see the others or scraps of paper to know that yeah, you draw other things -- but I'm thrilled and happy you'll be sharing this one in full. This forum is fantastic.

Oh, and if something looks better in life than the way it scanned, I mention that too. It helps. That happens often. I'm very glad your browser problem got sorted out, since I want to see this! Enjoy!

And relax, everyone's supportive here and more helpful than I could've imagined when I first joined. I thought the site was only for really good artists who were really serious about their art careers. Nope.

It's for anyone who likes drawing and painting, but the side effect is that if you hang out too long reading and posting and commenting, you get to be one of those really good artists yourself. Some beginner goes "I could never do that" and you wind up explaining something you learned on another thread and link it. Even "serious about art careers" isn't what I thought it was.

The British have an absolutely lovely term for people who can paint well and don't want to do it for a living: Leisure Painter. The only differences between a good Leisure Painter and a Professional Artist is how they do their taxes, whether they really want to do it as a job, and how they pay their bills. Most of the good Leisure Painters do reach a stage where it becomes a self supporting hobby though, and eBay or whatever brings in side money for the latest fancy sketchbook or set of pens or new paints.

Very pleased to meet you. I'm Robert, the one with the hairy cat named Ari, who purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration. That's him at the far left of my signature banner, my best-ever portrait of him. I also type too much, but that's an occupational hazard for a novelist. Don't ask me to do short stories! lol

JuliaK
05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. My introduction was a bit premature. I'm on day 9 of working 10-11 hour days in a very physically laborious job. Tomorrow's day 10, then I get a break for a day, work another day, then get another break. What I'm trying to say is, you guys probably won't see any images posted from me until sometime late Friday or early Saturday morning, after I've slept for a full 24 hours. :o

My reluctance in showing my backup sketchbook (the one just for me) isn't about quality, it's about subject matter. I mostly work from life in drawing and sketching, but I have these ideas born of pure imagination that escape every now and then that are strange, and to the people that know me, probably disturbing. I've learned not to show them around. I came from a very buttoned-up family, in a very buttoned-up community, and have very buttoned-up friends, and I got tired a long time ago of explaining why I do certain things, especially when I'm not always entirely sure.

In a nutshell (see, I can't do short writing pieces either :D ) my favorite subject is people, but when I'm not trying to faithfully portray the people around me as they appear, I do sketches that are more about ... well, I don't know what they're about. They're creature-like people. Think Emil Nolde pig-face caricature, but not so refined or amusing. Most are graphic and downright ugly; some are nightmarish. A few have sexual components. I have no explanation, other than this is what occurs to me when I'm not censoring myself. I don't really like them, myself. It strikes me as a sort of artistic Tourette's (apologies to anyone who actually has Tourette's -- this is meant purely as analogy), but instead of swearing or throwing things, I make ugly images.

Anyway, I do also suffer form the "this sketch isn't good enough" syndrome. It took me a long time to realize that sketches aren't just less complicated drawings, somehow meant to be as lovely and finished looking. I (like everyone) always want praise, so displaying a scribble, erased, smudged, redone quick study is counter to my nature, but I will be brave and allow my artistic "bad hair days" to be seen. :D

I'm Julia. Nice to meet you. No kitties, but had them all my life (and miss them). I'll see you back here in a couple of days.

RainySea
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Hello Julia. . . I will look forward to seeing your work. Maybe we all have some things we are not quite ready to share with the world yet.

Robert, I have to say that I love that "Cat Hairs of Inspriation"!!! That is great. I guess I have DOG Hairs of Inspiration around here and LOTS of it since its shedding season right now I think.

robertsloan2
06-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Rainy, Dog Hairs of Inspiration work just as well. It's the love that goes into them. Getting washed helps too.

Julia... I would be curious to see your caricatures, surreal pieces and shocking subjects. For that sort of sketchbook, just put a butt icon on the thread and keep it in another thread and you'll attract people interested in that sort of thing.

It's all right to draw things like that, it's not something awful about you or something like Artistic Tourette's. I don't think anyone would think less of you for seeing it.

Try the All-Media Sketching Thread up in the Gallery forum for that sketchbook. Skim it for a while, look at some of the frankly sexual, humorous, monstrous, satirical and uncensored cool stuff that goes there. Your "other" sketchbook would fit right in even if it's intense. It's got a permanent butt icon, sick sense of humor, and plenty of erotic art in all variations.

But in here, I think it's just a matter of which thread it is and if there's a butt icon, people know to expect strong stuff. But separating your strong stuff sketchbook into its own thread is a good idea that lets people not into that stuff skip it.

I use my All-Media Book for nudes and strong stuff. Some of my friends will skip it, others look there first hoping I did a good nude. I just added "gory" to it with a shark bite and may add practice sketches of zombies for my graphic novel. I don't mean cute-funny zombies, I mean going back to EC Comics and trying to succeed in that style of gore. My shark bite was a major accomplishment, but not to everyone's taste.

Setting that up doesn't mean everything needs a butt icon but it does mean if I want to do something like that, it goes there.

SWORDSNAKE007
04-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Awaiting your artworks Julia.....

Robert and Rainy....agree to you completely....

jmb57
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
hi Julia
you are certainly not alone with how you are feeling.
i am going to jump in here again. i have read it is common for that inner critic to battle with our more creative side for whatever reasons. over the weekend i will post some journal entries. you are right there is some absolutely beautiful work here, and soon yours will be contributing as well.
good luck on the journey, we can encourage each other
janine