PDA

View Full Version : Zen's Journey

Zenica
05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey guys,

Not sure if its okay to post questions here, but I'm currently ordering some Lama Li Travel Journals from Dick Blicks. I heard that they were pretty good for pen and ink as well as marker sketching and light watercolors. Has anyone tried this handmade sketch book? I heard that quality can vary on handmade stuff but I wanted to see if anyone likes it.

I will post images of my work in one when I get it and for proper use on this section I'll post them in this thread too! Maybe I'll post some loose leaf stuff I've already done too.

Zen

robertsloan2
05-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a couple of Lama Li watercolor books with handmade paper. The texture was rough and really interesting, almost like cloth, fun texture but I need to paint large in them. They're the book you got free buying enough Blick Artists' Watercolors last year, 100% cotton rag rough paper with deckle edges. Pretty good and rather specialty.

I also bought a tiny Lama Li journal for only being 2 1/2" x 4" or something like that, very small, but it was bound inside the hard covers like a paperback and a couple of pages have come loose. I don't use that one much but the drawing in it is very good.

So I think it varies with what the book is.

Zenica
05-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a couple of Lama Li watercolor books with handmade paper. The texture was rough and really interesting, almost like cloth, fun texture but I need to paint large in them. They're the book you got free buying enough Blick Artists' Watercolors last year, 100% cotton rag rough paper with deckle edges. Pretty good and rather specialty.

I also bought a tiny Lama Li journal for only being 2 1/2" x 4" or something like that, very small, but it was bound inside the hard covers like a paperback and a couple of pages have come loose. I don't use that one much but the drawing in it is very good.

So I think it varies with what the book is.

Thanks Robert,

I appreciate the time you took to reply. I wasn't sure if anyone knew what I was talking about. The one's I ordered were from Dick Blick, the smaller ones on http://www.dickblick.com/products/lama-li-travel-journals/.

There was one review on that site that was from a marker user (is there a formal term for one who paints with markers?)

This was my primary reason for ordering them, although I am a bit of a sketchbook fanatic. It was a jump from my favorite HandBook Journals. I recently put an order for the huge gift pack 48 set of the Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens. I got the set's price lowered to $76 with a coupon and decided to buy a new sketchbook for them too.

I got the urge to try a pack of 4 from michael's yesterday when they were clearenced to $12. I had been thinking about them for over a year... I am mostly a watercolor/pen and ink lover but I have leaned toward the "brush pen" side of illustration.

I loved the set of 4 so much that I couldn't put it off. I think I got a fairly good deal too. I have seen that set go for $120+... I still wonder if I paid too much :rolleyes::

Since I looked at a few other artists who use the lama li travel journals I have found out that they are fairly decent for that specific use. I doubt they will remain "pitt pen only" for long.

Zen

robertsloan2
05-29-2010, 03:16 PM
This one says signature binding, so you probably won't have the only problem I had with any Lama Li book -- losing a page to its having neat binding (that's what gluing the pages in like a paperback is called). They're good quality and I think you'll enjoy them.

With markers, whatever the book, I always want to slide a bit of cardboard or heavy paper under the page I'm doing and work on one side only. Very few papers stand up to markers without bleed-through, and it's cheaper to just use one side than to use both sides and the next couple of pages have to work around splotches and dots of strong color.

Except for Pitt Artist Pens. Those don't bleed through on anything I've used. They're great that way. I really like them and bought that same set of 48, though I may have to replace it soon as I'm finding more and more of the colors are used up. I have the set sitting upside down (I have been using it heavily for five years so don't feel TOO bad!) to try and squeeze a little more use out of them, but I'll replace it sometime this year. They're so versatile and they're archival. I might move up to the Big Brush ones though.

Zenica
05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Hey again Robert,

Thanks for the tip about the "signature" versus "neat" binding. I don't think I've bought any sketchbooks with neat binding, most of the market is signature... I suppose for the same reasons you suggested.

I had a little struggle making the choice between the regular brush pens and the big brush pens too. I really wanted the larger range of 48, but they don't make all of those in big brush pens. The largest set you can buy for those is 24... I think it goes for $120+ which is pretty steep. I worked out a deal for myself so I wouldn't over spend. I decided to get the regular full set and buy two packs of 4, one in the classic and one in skin tones, those being the ones I think I'll use the most.

As I said before, I got the classic set at a deal for $12 so I could try them out. I really didn't plan on buying it but it was the quickest way I could really check out the tools. I also ordered the skin tones too because I work a lot 'plein air' sketching of people. I do a lot of portrait work to relax after a long day.

Once I tried them I figured out that I really like the big brush tip. Mostly because its so loose it almost makes you work that way instead of "tiny" details. So if I run out of those 2 sets by Christmas or early march next year I may go for the 24 pack of the big brush ones to complete the full thing. As for the moment, I think I'll have plenty of things to work with.

I think Dick Blick's has the best price on all of the things, cheapest and best rates for shipping. Also, ASW (aswexpress.com) sells the big brush sets at discounted rates, they don't charge too much for shipping either.

Zen

robertsloan2
05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
That is so great. You're going to be happy, but your budget won't. Blick carries the 48 color set of Big Brush now for $125. My small tip ones are wearing out (or all the pigments descended away from the tips because they were stored tip-up) so I'm getting 48 Big Brush soon (sometime this summer). I haven't decided whether to replace small brush yet or not, depends on whether turning the box over recharges them. I may just have to be careful to store these pens on their sides so the pigments don't settle to the bottom.

They feel juicy, but no color comes out on a lot of the grays and about half the colors. Some still seem to have color but not as vivid as what's in my sketchbooks -- once used they are beautifully archival. So... Big Brush should last longer with five times the ink, right? I can get fine details with big brushes, I might not need both sets.

I'll find out when my Big Brush set arrives. Right now I'm very keen on my latest set of watercolor pencils, using them so much the little set is starting to get snaggly! I'd be thrilled if I had to replace it by using them up.

Zenica
05-29-2010, 10:17 PM
That is so great. You're going to be happy, but your budget won't. Blick carries the 48 color set of Big Brush now for $125.

Ouch, I didn't see that. Ahh well, I don't think I'll mind the regular ones at all. They may not be 5 times the quantity of ink, but the pen tips look like they are about the same as a regular pen.. I really love doing ink and watercolor mix.

A few months ago I got some Derwent Aquatones and Regular Derwent WC Pencils. I like using them a lot, mostly for journals and stuff, but with a clear coat of UV standard fixative they are very lightfast so I don't worry about that. I've done a few paintings with them that I posted in the watermedia forum.

I didn't pay even half of that price for my regulars... maybe I'll order a set later on but for now I think I am happy with my 8 big pens and 48 regular ones. Few questions for you since you have this set.

Do you find the regular set's gift box handy or do you put the pens in something else? Have you taken them out for sketching outside? How big is the box, like small enough to fit in a backpack? Is it particularly heavy, like lets say 5lbs including the pens, or is it lighter?

How do you use your pens? Do you have a sketch or painting currently done with them that you wouldn't mind sharing? No criticism, just curious. Maybe you have a few pens that you use the most? Like lets say limited palette of 5 or 6.

Thanks for answering which ever ones you like, I really appreciate your advice too.

Zen

Zenica
06-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm going to post a few pictures here. They are not in a new sketchbook. Just loose papers I put into a binder. I just feel like putting some work here before I get the new supplies on Monday.

Here are two painting/sketchwork images that I have done.

robertsloan2
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Wow! Nice ink and wash on the cowboy scene. I love how the horse is turning its head. The blacksmith is phenomenal -- that one's just awesome. I love every detail of it. My daughter's a blacksmith (farrier, does horse shoeing) and I've seen her tools, that is spot on.

Zenica
06-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow! Nice ink and wash on the cowboy scene. I love how the horse is turning its head. The blacksmith is phenomenal -- that one's just awesome. I love every detail of it. My daughter's a blacksmith (farrier, does horse shoeing) and I've seen her tools, that is spot on.

Thanks Robert!

I got that cheap'O paper in a free grab bag from cheap joes that I got after buying a certain amount of stuff.

*I figured out its real name... the stuff is from strathmore, called watercolor 700 series, it says its 140lb watercolor paper but it can't be... its only cold pressed on the top side. The bottom side is like regular paper or something.

Its almost useless for anything but doing those ink and wash techniques. They don't work with regular watercolors or big washes. Fortunately they are okay with wc pencils and ink. It's harder to do, because a single bit of water afterwords will erase the whole painting. The colors do not soak in, just sit on top... Ink drawings or something that isn't water-soluble after it dries, that stuff works fine.

I almost got rid of this stuff but I always try my best to find something that works on it so it doesn't go to waste. I think my Pitt pens work well on it. I've used the smaller 4 set I got earlier and I love the texture that shows through. Maybe that is what I will do when I get the big set on monday!

Zen

DrDebby
06-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice paintings. That blacksmith is great!

Zenica
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Nice paintings. That blacksmith is great!

Thanks Debby!

robertsloan2
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I know the feeling. I've got cream smooth paper in my Moleskine Folio Sketchbook and the tiny Volant sketchbooks. It doesn't take a lot of pencil because it doesn't have much tooth, it can't take any wet media at all, it was very frustrating paper until I started doing pen drawings on it. Now I think what I've got there is a pen drawing sketchbook -- just penwork beginning to end. Pencil erases easily so I can pencil first when I want to be careful and it looks good.

Any good art paper will have at least one medium that works well on it. You just have to find out what it is to be able to use it.

Zenica
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey! Its the 7 of June. After a bit of struggle with the post office/FedEx my package finally arrived. Everything seems in order, the sketchbooks are very new for me, kinda a large leap from where I usually go with them. The pages seem very thin and I haven't tried to write in them yet.. mostly because I haven't been able to pick between the two sketchbooks..purple-ish blue and tan ahh such a hard choice!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2010/184315-Stuff1.JPG

I will post another image once I figure out where to start. Probably with a color chart or something!

Zen

robertsloan2
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
These look great! I'd say start with the purplish-blue one. If they're both the same inside, you might as well pick one and enjoy. I think those pens would work well on thin paper, based on my experience with them.

Color charts are always a good start. Go for it!

JTMB
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Nice work with the horse and blacksmith! Good luck and lots of fun ahead with the new supplies!

Zenica
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
These look great! I'd say start with the purplish-blue one. If they're both the same inside, you might as well pick one and enjoy. I think those pens would work well on thin paper, based on my experience with them.

Color charts are always a good start. Go for it!

Hey Robert,

I've figured out what I'm gonna do with these. Blue is my favorite color, it being matched with my eyes. I love anything to do with blue. I think I'll work on it after I get a feel for the paper. I'll probably work both journals at the same time, switching for new experiences to the tan journal, and older techniques that I already know will go into the blue one.

So I will use the tan one as my "practice" journal. Just to get a feel for the paper but I'll use the blue one for my real stuff, journaling and other things. I don't think I'll worry about ruining the pages that way. Not that I ever do...

I got these journals because I heard they were really great for working with pitt pens. So here's my first experiences.

Pitt Pens:
I chickened out on doing the chart in the book at first. I used a junk sheet of paper. I really like the colors available in this 48 gift set. The smaller pens are still very fluid like the big ones. I worked out the chart working from the top row down to the bottom. I stuck them in little rows; browns, greens, blues, flesh-tones, reds and purples. It's not perfectly organized to my tastes but I think I'll mess with that later.

All 48 pens were functional, no "bad" ones, which is really good! In the past I have had worse luck when one or more of a set will be either broken or dried up.

The flesh tone Big Brush set came free when I ordered the 48 set. Funny that my 48 set covers those 4 brushes, but the light flesh color is different to the light flesh color of the regular pens. Slightly more "pink". I don't think I'll report it though.. it gives an "in-between" color, which is not available, you only get Medium Flesh or Light Flesh. Now I think I have, Medium Flesh, Medium Light Flesh, and Light Flesh lol.

Lama Li Travel Journals

Cover page for the Tan book didn't bleed at all. It is very textured, bits of string and strips of wood fiber give it an interesting feel that I have not had before. You have to work slowly to prevent the paper from being messed up and layering is best done when each layer has a chance to dry before moving on to a second or third layer.

The book itself is well made, signatures seem strong. It helps to have a board or something at first so you can flatten the wrap cover. I have used a chip clip that is very old and soft. It holds the cover nicely so that it doesn't get in my way while I'm drawing.

Here's a picture of the cover page.. I'm still working on it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2010/184315-Journal_1.JPG

Z

Zenica
06-07-2010, 08:56 PM
This is the first page finished I decided to scan it for a better image.

Zen

robertsloan2
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Love the view through the arch. What a great beginning. Cool color chart for the 48 Pitt Pens. They're great. My set didn't have any bad ones either when I got it. I think Faber-Castell has a good track record for those things. I'm still drooling after getting the 48 Big Brush ones.

Zenica
06-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm still drooling after getting the 48 Big Brush ones.

Yeah, actually I think I'm happy with the regular ones. I wasn't sure how big the box of pens was going to be. I almost thought it would be something "non-portable" even though it says travel gift. The box will fit fine inside my day pack... I'm glad its light and well built for a box.

The two big brush packs (classic and skin tone) do just right for me. I have the pens I use most in large and small variety. It works well. If cash is a problem, try a few 4 packs, in the colors you think you would use the most... Or.. wait till Dick Blick's has a nice sale again. That $20 off orders over $125 + free shipping worked well for me. I bet you might find the big pens for under $90 somewhere but... worst part isn't the pens price, but the rest of the stuff you buy adds up fast too!! somehow I managed to get my bill under $100. No clue how... 3.1 lbs of fun!

I had to get out two ziplock bags though.. I'm afraid that my new sketchbooks might get wet when it rains (hmm obvious statement). The covers are paper and I'm not sure what they can take... the ziplocks are handy for lots of things anyway so why not. The books are so pretty anyways and they are a nice reward for finishing up my other sketchbook.

Zen

DrDebby
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Zen the arch is fantastic. Great start to a new journey. Have fun with your new toys.

Vivien Maloney
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Zen; Glad you got your new Sketchbook and pens. Love your horse and rider sketch and the archway sketch in your new book is great. It feels like you want to walk right through.

Zenica
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Debby: Thanks for looking at my Journal, I'm glad that you guys are so active. It helps push me to work faster and stronger with all my different mediums and it gives me the confidence to POST more!!! :D

Vivien: Glad you liked the horse and rider, and the blacksmith. I think its interesting that a random picture sometimes works to create interesting art. I really did just chose random pictures from our reference library. They were wonderful to sketch! Try it sometime!

Zen

robertsloan2
06-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Zen, thanks. You're right about those big coupons Blick has, especially when they have free shipping over $99 attached to them. I'm just juggling the big brush set versus two other rather large things -- pastels sets that I want -- and can only do one of those three things in July. So it's a matter of what order I get them in, that's all. I'd rather wait and get the full set than have a bunch of four packs around and then not use them.

Though I got out my four six-packs of the regular ones today and they're still good. They last very well. After turning my 48 color set of normal size brush tip ones upside down for a month, they all came back to full strength. So now I know it's just how I was storing them and they're still good.

Zenica
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
After turning my 48 color set of normal size brush tip ones upside down for a month, they all came back to full strength. So now I know it's just how I was storing them and they're still good.

Oh yeah, I've heard other people who say to store all kinds of fluid media stuff on their sides. That's the way the manufacturers keep stuff, all in bins "sideways" or slightly slanted toward the tip end. They do that with paint and inks to prevent them from separating too much. I believe that is how you should store pencils and pastels too. Never "upright" in a cup on the desk... or at least that's what they say.

Zen

robertsloan2
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't think it's a problem with pencils, but with pens it can become one. Most of my colored pencils are upright because I keep them in elastic band Global Classic leather cases points upward, shelved like books. Anyway I've got the box upside down now and have no further problem with them. That's a relief that I won't have to replace it soon. I'd rather upgrade to Big Brush than have to replace my current set.

Zenica
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey here are some other pictures from my Blue Journal.

I have the front page, and two others. All done with Pitt Pens. I think I'm starting to really love these pens. I found I could get a lot of texture if I allowed the pens to stay in one place longer than if I was just sketching over it. It produced a darker more random "bleeding" look to the picture.

Z

robertsloan2
06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Cool page with your hand, and the birds came out beautiful. Both of the bird drawings are excellent. Well done! I love how these pens scan so well too. You've been having fun with the big set and finding all the great colors it has. Going lightly in some areas and resting the pen in others to let it go dark is a cool technique. Great textures in the grass and the feathers of the birds.

DrDebby
06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Great seeing what these pens can do. The hand is a wonderful start. The birds are great too.

Zenica
06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks Robert! I love how they pop on these creamy textured white pages. They do capture so well when scanned. I don't have to correct the images much at all. I also love the colors in this set. I don't think I would have been as happy with the smaller 24 set that I was originally going to get. I'm really glad I decided to fork over a little more cash for it! haha!

Thanks Debby! It is very fun to discover new tools and even more to discover new ways to use old ones. I've had fun in the past with a dip pen and colored inks similar results.

Z

Zenica
06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to post these pictures. I have about 4 sketchbooks going on at the same time now. My mom gave me an A5 and a smaller pocket size journal for my birthday. That was Friday the 11th of June. Great day, spent most of the afternoon in the art supply section at Hobby Lobby. She didn't know what to get me, so she asked me to go out for a date! Boy was I happily surprised to get more sketchbooks, even though I just got those lama li ones, I'm a bit of a sketchbook lover, can't have too many going at one time...

After we got the "girl time" out of the way, the whole family, (brother, mom, dad) went out for a texas sized steak dinner and homemade "Luna Mansion mud pie". A mud pie is coffee ice cream, on an oreo cookie crust, topped with hot fudge and almond slivers, it's one of my favorites!

It was a very happy fun day.

The two pictures I'm posting today were on the larger A5 watercolor journal. One is a lighthouse idea that I have for a full painting. The other is some figure drawings that I drew from Pose Maniac. I have always loved drawing the human body, it is so beautiful. Male and female, it doesn't matter just as long as I am busy drawing them.

I'll let you in on a bit of my past. I used to be extremely nervous about sharing nude sketches or just about anything that showed skin. A good friend of mine showed me that anyone who has a problem with it, just doesn't see it the right way. Ex. My dad, love him to bits, but he doesn't know how to look at a body without automatically thinking sex.

When was a freshman in college, I caught him watching a tv show that was not "decent" or honorable.... something similar to pornography in my thoughts. I walked away without saying anything. The next day dad looked over some of my artwork from school, he didn't ask to see them he just "looked" and he got upset that his daughter was taking college art classes that included models, he yelled at me... and well accused me of drawing pornography.

He wasn't the only one. I was 13 when I went on a "business trip" with him to Paris. He never said that drawing Michelangelo's sculptures was pornography, but I brought it home and showed my best friend. She thought I was dirty. It took me years to overcome that thought... that "worry" that others would think I'm sick or something.

Once I started talking to another Artist, I realized it wasn't me who had a dirty mind.

This is the quote that I wrote out. I found the original quote and stuck it with these figures to remember that even though others hurt me, I am honorable and clean of mind.

"Art is the Perfection of Perception which only becomes pornographic when the viewer sees it as such. At which point, it is not the art which is pornographic, but the viewer's mind. Art is still merely Art."

I know there are others who may feel like I did when I was young, but I'm here to tell you that the human body is beautiful, clean and pure. No one should ever make you feel bad for portraying beauty. If they do, then realize that they are the one's who have the problem. It's not you!

Zen

DrDebby
06-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Marvelous drawings. The light house planning for another work is great. Love the color scheme.

In regards to your quote and your final interpretation, yes, it's all about perception, not the art or the object in question.

robertsloan2
06-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Beautiful landscape and fantastic figures. Well done.

Zenica
06-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks Debby and Robert,

I was having a rough day when I needed that reminder. I have a slow anger reflex and a quick closure mind. When someone does something really wrong or hurtful to me I get angry or sad, but it only lasts for 5 minutes. That is how long I give myself to deal with it.

After the 5 minutes are up I don't harp on it, I forgive. It takes a lot to make me angry anyway but when I am, I am vocal about it.

I learned to be extremely patient with others and I received my 5 minute rule from the women in my family. We all are hardy, it takes a hell of a lot to get any sort of reaction from us, some of us don't easily "dissolve" that frustration and hold it in for awhile. I can't live like that, its totally unhealthy for me physically so I designed 5 minutes to peace.

I count the minutes, I say what I need to, and then once I am done it doesn't come back up again. One would say that I forget that things happened. When someone else brings the subject up I usually don't have anything left to say... sometimes I flat out don't remember why I got angry in the first place...

Most men would love that I think... you know, not having every little mistake being brought up over and over... It's just too hard to live like that, let alone do that to someone else.

The quote came out of a sore spot in my heart. I was hurt back then and its one hurt that I do remember, something I could never forget but it is what gives me the strength to stick to my 5 minute rule.

The 5 minute rule also works for extreme sadness, or hurt that doesn't involve anger. Tears; of loss, regret, or other things do apply with this rule. If I am not angry at someone for a specific reason that can be solved with words... I'll go away for awhile and drown out the emotion in my art or music. I come back out a better person in most cases. The free release keeps me strong, try it sometime and tell me what you think.

Zenica

robertsloan2
06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Zenica, you're right that most men would love that not having to live with the long laundry list of everything that ever angered the woman they're with. It sounds like a harsh rule, but no doubt like many such things, it gets easier with time until it's your habitual response.

I didn't comment to the idea because I could tell this was a very emotionally charged issue for you and didn't want to hijack your thread with a discussion of the idea. I think it's great you wrote and posted that, and it's a valid way to look at artwork of any kind including written. Most of all liberating in order to let you explore the beauty of the human form in all ages and life stages -- I'm grateful you included a man in it because so often to narrow minds any nude man by definition is obscene while female nudes are exalted and artistic.

I had to learn to just quit arguing, because of my fibromyalgia. I can't be eloquent if I get shocked, because I'll get sick and the pain will drive my verbal skills into the ground. Emotional pain turns into lasting physical pain for hours and sometimes days even if I won the argument. I mean, won it for real -- convinced the other person I was right, got an apology, conflict resolved completely. It'll still knock me over way out of proportion to the cause.

When I get mad, I think it through in my journal, calm down and look at it from all sides and if I'm still mad, then decide what to do. That doesn't mean pointless confrontation but may mean bringing it up and talking it out quietly. I can't medically live with any other pattern of conflict resolution. So I've had to learn that everyone handles conflict their own way, and people's comfort zones vary.

The laundry list isn't healthy and it's not just women who do that in fights. It's common, but it's a bad sign that something much bigger hasn't been resolved or never can be resolved. That you found a way to deal with anger and not do it is a major achievement, one that I respect.

Zenica
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
When I get mad, I think it through in my journal, calm down and look at it from all sides and if I'm still mad, then decide what to do. That doesn't mean pointless confrontation but may mean bringing it up and talking it out quietly. I can't medically live with any other pattern of conflict resolution. So I've had to learn that everyone handles conflict their own way, and people's comfort zones vary.

The laundry list isn't healthy and it's not just women who do that in fights. It's common, but it's a bad sign that something much bigger hasn't been resolved or never can be resolved. That you found a way to deal with anger and not do it is a major achievement, one that I respect.

Thanks Robert,

You were right it was emotionally charged at first. I needed to vent it out, even when it was on here. I couldn't vent that process because the subject of my frustration can't comprehend the negative that was done. Once I had the chance to bug out the emotions I remembered why I am the way I am and also, that there isn't anything wrong with that.

My quote came a long time ago, it wasn't an emotionally charged one, but the lasting drops of a Journey that I had taken to "get over" my underlying fears. The journey gave me the chance to become serious about my goals. It also came as a form of an "ahh" moment, something that really made me think "well now, I've been a foolish one... I'm so selfish that I thought it was all about me!" LOL!

It never was! 5 minute rule approved!

Zen

Vivien Maloney
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Zen - Lovely figure sketches and your lighthouse is great - love that sky!

Zenica
06-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey guys,

Here are some of the newer stuff I've been working on. I caught a nasty little chest bug but doing art has helped me have something to take my mind off it.

I also included two of the best pages of the latest scavenger hunt. Some of those items are good enough to be considered paintings rather than sketch work.

Z

Joan T
06-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm glad to see so many of us work in more than one sketchbook at a time! lol Great sketches, Zen. I like the page you did with the arch and the birds. It will be fun to visit and see what you are doing.

robertsloan2
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Zen, these are all so great! I love the fuzzy tummy one. That's gorgeous. So cool to see you doing the Scavenger Hunt! Did you post these over there too yet? I hope so. Great manikin. Wonderful figures. Love the trees and that W&N watercolor set. That first tree is awesome and I like your running figure and the apple picker, those are fantastic. Well done! So glad my list was inspirational.

Zenica
06-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Zen, these are all so great! I love the fuzzy tummy one. That's gorgeous. So cool to see you doing the Scavenger Hunt! Did you post these over there too yet? I hope so. Great manikin. Wonderful figures. Love the trees and that W&N watercolor set. That first tree is awesome and I like your running figure and the apple picker, those are fantastic. Well done! So glad my list was inspirational.

Robert! Thank you so much for your comment, both here and in the Scavenger hunt. Yes I have posted the items there too, or atleast the ones that count for it :rolleyes:

I still am working on some of the last few I missed but I'm really trying to discover new techniques with the pens. I've always loved pen and wash for some reason so I knew I needed to find some nice colored ink pens.

I got a small set of calligraphy inks in Paris years ago that were pure colored india ink in wax and rubber sealed jars. Historic type things that were made the same way as ancient writers would have used.

They were so expensive real touristy items!! I had them on a shelf for 3 years, never cracked open the wax seal on them because I was afraid I would waste them. I knew I couldn't get a replacement if I ran out. I finally broke the molds when I was doing a project. I fell in love with the pen and wash I could achieve. I haven't used them up yet, but that is because I cherish the quality more than anything. I occasionally use them for calligraphy writing, but mostly as ink for drawing.

I'll post some more sketches and paintings later. Hope you all have fun doing the list too!

Zen

Jakesgram
06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Zen!

I've had a lot of catch-up to do since I was not able to keep up with this forum for over a month. But I want you to know how much I like the artwork you are doing in "these" sketchbooks. Thanks for posting pictures of the Lama Li journals. They look so scrumptious, I might have to get my hands on one or two myself!

Your artwork is wonderful. I love how you use color and your work seems so confident to me. It's hard to pick favorites, but I especially like your hand page and also the girl holding up the fruit (apple? cherry?). I love her pose! Glad you're enjoying your new supplies. Keep showing the results, please!!!

Jean

DrDebby
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Great, great sketches. Love the pen and wash stuff.

Zenica
06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Zen!

I've had a lot of catch-up to do since I was not able to keep up with this forum for over a month. But I want you to know how much I like the artwork you are doing in "these" sketchbooks. Thanks for posting pictures of the Lama Li journals. They look so scrumptious, I might have to get my hands on one or two myself!

Your artwork is wonderful. I love how you use color and your work seems so confident to me. It's hard to pick favorites, but I especially like your hand page and also the girl holding up the fruit (apple? cherry?). I love her pose! Glad you're enjoying your new supplies. Keep showing the results, please!!!

Jean

Hey Jean,

Thanks for looking through my journal(s). I've got a bunch in this one thread actually. I think I'll probably split them later but for now all my stuff is in this one thread.

The blueish purple lama li is the actual "Journey" book for Zen's Journey thread. The rest are just additional ones that I haven't named. I have 6 going on all at once now. Two cheap joes kilimanjaro paintbooks (one landscape one portrait), two watercolor journals i got at hobby lobby (one a5 and one pocket size) and of course the two lama li ones.

The "journey" book is the only one that is specific on the medium and thats only because it cant really take any other medium then the pens. Actually I got the lama li ones specifically for use with the pitt artist brush pens.

I use the kilimanjaro paint books for everything. They have 140lb watercolor paper with sheets of regular drawing paper in between. They take a lot of rough stuff too. I do a lot of pen and ink. They are coldpress paper but the tooth is neat and I don't mind the feel of loose penwork on it.

Like you mentioned my work is pretty colorful. I love color. I can't get enough of it. I am not picky about strength of it either I just love mixing and playing with the different hues and chromas.

Confidence to me, is not letting anything worry you. Try working with something permanent like pens for awhile. Don't use pencils at all, not for your primary sketch that way you have no way to erase. You just have to go with it. Sure you'll get a ton of really sad pages, but once you get into it you'll carry that way through all your work. That's how I work most of the time.

Zen

JTMB
06-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Hi Zen,

Haven't checked your journal for awhile, so decided to take a look. Very nice work! I like your most recent scavenger hunt drawings - good work. I have been taking art classes at a local college, and the last two drawing classes were figure drawing - meaning with live nude models. I chuckled before the first drawing class because when I was a kid (quite a few decades ago now) my family would have been absolutely flabbergasted to think I was in a drawing class with nude models. In our case, it was just a very conservative family - I was the only who ever went to college, and that opened up a whole new world. Still, I didn't do any art until about two years ago, so it was interesting doing the drawing classes - they were excellent training.

Zenica
06-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys,

Here are the other pictures from the scavenger hunt I promised to post. Enjoy them well because I enjoyed painting them!

Zen

DrDebby
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Beautiful sketches. Great use of pen work.

robertsloan2
06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Great sketches! I commented on them at the scavenger hunt but I like them so I'll comment again. That wood texture is lovely. Your style of pen work with wash is different but equally powerful. That's one thing about the medium -- it's like handwriting, your pen work is going to be very personal.