PDA

View Full Version : plein air cart

granddad
05-27-2010, 09:52 AM
I have been doing some plien air painting lately and notice I never stray to far from my car due to lugging the equipment around. I have a full French easel, a pastel case, and a portfolio bag for papers, sketch book, water, etc. I think I would venture away from the car more if I had a small cart to put this on and roll it to where I want to set up. I was thinking something like one of those knee high shopping carts that you see people pushing down the street or maybe one of those luggage carriers with a box on it. I think if I had this I would venture down the path more instead of staying near the car and parking lot. Does anyone have something that works really well for transporting your items from the car to the field? thanks, james

Paula Ford
05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
What about an Artcomber? http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Bags-and-Backpacks/ArtComber.htm

Potoma
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I just threw away my Artcomber. Mine broke. It isn't made for hauling the heavy stuff over terrain and it definitely isn't large enough to hold a french easel.

I know some people who use the milk crate things on wheels with good luck. Don't know where they come from, though.

birdhs
05-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I wonder how well one of those garden carts would work? I remember seeing them in a catalog once... here is a link I found for what I meant: http://www.gardeners.com/Gardening-Carts/PropertyMaintenance_Carts,default,sc.html
or maybe a "little red wagon" from Toys R Us

just a thought. Greg

westcoast_Mike
05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
The shopping cart isn't a bad choice. The rule of thumb I would use is the bigger the wheel, the better. Those small luggage wheels are fine on sidewalks, but they don't do too well off of hard surfaces. My wife uses an old folding luggage cart with 5" wheels. It does quite well for her.

Colorix
05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I've got a shopping cart (bag on wheels) from the 50s... LOL! Not so elegant, but it has *much* bigger wheels, which is why I keep it.

Seen people use golf carts, too. They're built for terrain.

Charlie

westcoast_Mike
05-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Seen people use golf carts, too

Yeah, we tend to get creative for plein air. The two I've seen that struck me were an old letter sactchel (like the Postmen used to push on foot routes) and a baby jogger.

saramathewson
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I know a lot of people use an art comber and I have one that fits a full french easel but... the seat broke on it. I am a little overweight. but i hardly used it at all! i was sitting on it in the studio at one point and only for maybe 1/2 an hour and the seam just ripped! I still have it because i thought well maybe i won't use the seat but will use the rest of it to cart the stuff around. It has nice big wheels. my problem is that I need to sit down if I'm going to be out painting for any length of time. I thought about getting another one. i have heard someone say they reinforced the seams on theirs but I'm not sure what they used. I have seen pics of people at workshops using them and they are larger than me and they don't seem to have a problem. Maybe they reinforce the seams. Anyway, I agree with Mike that the main thing to look for are large wheels.
I'm pretty much housebound and where i live it is already too hot to do plein air. Plus there is a lot of wind here too so I guess the time for plein air here is winter. Unfortunately for me I don't do well in the sun either so would have to always be sure there is a shady spot.

Good luck on finding the right cart!

Sara

bluefish
05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
why not take a look at the carts used for 'surf fishing' - they have big wheels, can haul lots of stuff and are made to go over soft sand, etc - they can handle large loads(if the fish are biting!) - most surf shops carry them - look on line -

'blue....' :thumbsup:

westcoast_Mike
05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh I love it Blue - Those look great.

Deborah Secor
05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
blue...but I like a good creative idea. Someone should tell the fishing cart industry that we could be a sideline!

Deborah

bluefish
05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Deborah

are you suggesting that we sell them as a 'blueplainaire' cart instead of a 'bluefish' cart? :lol: :lol:

you are always thinking - love it!!!!

'blue....' :)

Lynndidj
05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Just found a GREAT cart on-line - hoping this link will work for you!

http://www.beachmall.com/product/WRBCWD/Beach-Carts--SuperMax-Wonder-Wheeler-Beach-Cart--Wide-Wheels-Carts.html?meta=dealtime&metacpg=WRBCWD&utm_source=SHOPCOM&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=WRBCWD&shopcom

The key things here are beachmall.com and go to the Super Max Wonder Wheeler Beach Cart - with Wide Wheels. I read the reviews and people really load things things up.

Lynn

bluefish
05-28-2010, 06:57 AM
not the type cart I was referring to - the 'surf carts' are made of aluminum and have rugged wheels - not cheap, but constructed to provide service under adverse conditions -

go to -www fishermansheadquarters.com

click on 'equipment' - then click on 'surf carts'

good luck - maybe you will catch a 'bluefish' while creating that 'plein aire' masterpiece!

'blue....' :)

saramathewson
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow Blue,
those are some serious carts! They cost more than my plein aire set up!

Is this what you use?

Sara

bluefish
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Sara

For 'bluefishing', yes!

But I'm strickly a 'studio painter' - to many bugs, wind, onlookers, etc. to get into that 'plein aire' stuff - I'm "old school" -:lol:

but the carts are really nice and do a great job - they would be ideal for 'plein aire'!

'blue....' :thumbsup:

granddad
05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks a lot for all the helpful advise. I will be getting a cart, just got to find one I like and can afford. thanks again, james

timonsloane
05-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Some time ago I bought this cart and had good success with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-Conair-Folding-Multi-Use/dp/B0020MMCNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1275154855&sr=8-1

I carried a full french and a medium heilman pastel box attaching everything with a bungee.

I've since replaced the french with a tripod and started to carry everything in a full-sized backpack. I find this much more portable and I can go off trail when I want. I also like all the pockets. I keep them loaded with all my variety of supplies so I never forget anything.

Using the backpack I can even carry a shadebuddy umbrella.

sketchZ1ol
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
hello.
what the heck. for all the trouble. what about a low cc. ATV, used? have your lawnmower guy or the kid down the block to do the maintenance.:lol:

don't know the terrain you want to travel but in general a wide tread does better for sand, wet ground, etc.
:} Ed

Dharma_bum
05-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Some time ago I bought this cart and had good success with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-Conair-Folding-Multi-Use/dp/B0020MMCNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1275154855&sr=8-1

I carried a full french and a medium heilman pastel box attaching everything with a bungee.

I've since replaced the french with a tripod and started to carry everything in a full-sized backpack. I find this much more portable and I can go off trail when I want. I also like all the pockets. I keep them loaded with all my variety of supplies so I never forget anything.

Using the backpack I can even carry a shadebuddy umbrella.

I've thought about mounting a backpack on one of these carts so that it could be pulled over mostly friendly terrain. In spots where the going gets tough, the pack could be carried as designed, and the cart folded up and carried by hand or strapped to the pack.

Dan

Lynndidj
05-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I ordered the beach cart I listed earlier and am leaving for a week of plein air painting on the 5th. I'll let you know how I like it.

I thought the fishing cart was a bit more hard core and seemed to always hook to some kind of vehicle. This beach cart can hold quite a bit, has wide wheels, and you can hook a chair on the outside as well as an umbrella. and heavens only knows what else. I keep trying to figure out the plein air thing - still working on it :-)

Lynn

Lynndidj
06-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Received the beach cart today - it is wonderful!!! Not too heavy, folds much like a stroller does for putting in a car, has huge wheels to handle sand or terrain, has a large compartment that holds tons and a smaller compartment that is at the level of the handle for all of the small stuff - sunscreen, pencils, drawing materials, gloves, you name it. I will try and post pictures tomorrow as this cart is quite the thing!!!

Lynn