PDA

View Full Version : oil pastels

shakthimira
05-25-2010, 11:44 PM
:confused: how to use oil pastels,i tried with op but colours r not blending easily,i worked with soft pastels,but op seems to be tough.i hav pebeo oil pastels, plz tell me the techniques to apply and to blend colours.

silvermoss
05-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Shakthimira,
Student grade OPs are hard to blend and give OPs a bad name. If you are interested, I would definitely recommend getting some artist grade OPs (e.g. Caran D'Ache Neopastels, Holbein or Sennelier). The are soft and easy to blend. Sennelier are the softest, but I find Neopastels are also creamy, and some find them easier to work as they are not too soft. I started with a 12 set of Neopastels and have been hooked on OPs ever since.

Artist grade OPs can be blended easily with a finger, but you may want to consider using Clay shapers, tortillons, plastic rubbers or other tools to push the soft OPs into small areas and to produce more detailed effects.

Hope this helps. They are a friendly lot here, so don't be afraid to ask questions!

shakthimira
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
hi,thanks for helping,this is really useful,i will try with neopastels.

silvermoss
05-28-2010, 03:33 AM
No worries!
We would love to see some of your work, and even your experiments.
Please join us in the Oil Pastel Studio, where there is a sketching thread you can post in.

Here is the link
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=393

Hazelnice
05-28-2010, 11:05 PM
wow, thanks for that link silvermoss. its really helpful. keep up the good work.

hask2004
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi,
What is the brand of OP that ur using? becuase there is bad oil pastels products, other thing still I did not find clear tutorials in the internet regarding OP, but first start with bright color and hold the pen softly, and then move to the dark one, because later on u can not put the bright color easily.

All the best. :)

halthepainter
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Hask, you might check the posting dates before making a reply to a thread. Since the last posting to this thread was over a year ago. There might not be anyone to reply to your question. :wink2:

CalArtist
10-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if Erengi ArtAspirer oil pastels, sold by Jerry's, are artist quality or student quality, if you know? I've heard that they are artist quality, but I'd like to know if anyone knows for certain. They are certainly priced right, and have a decent amount of colors.

Thanks!

halthepainter
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Calartist, yes Erengi oil pastels are considered to be artist quality rather than student quality. I often use them for the bulk of a painting and use my more expensive Senneliers of finishing touches.