PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Watercolour

Dougwas
05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I am just learning watercolour and thought it would be a neat idea to start a journal to record my journey into the world of "Pen and Watercolour." I have always enjoyed looking at ink drawings with a watercolour wash, so I figured I should learn how to do it.

The journal is fairly small at 5'' x 7'' but this makes it easier for me to handle while sitting in my recliner, or as I call it, my life saver. I think I will be using Micron 01 pens and Cotmat watercolour pans for the whole book, but that may change in the future.

Okay, First off here is the sketchbook I will be using. As you can see, it is 100% recycled paper and the 110lb weight allows a light wash. The paper buckles a bit, so I will be just using one side of each sheet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/102199-Journal_Cover.jpg

Of course I decided to run before I learned how to walk. I always enjoy drawing/painting fruit so I thought that would be a good place to start. These were all done using the glazing technique and I dabbed the bottom two trying to create texture. The drawings are done from my own reference photos and were first done in pencil and then gone over with the black 01 pen. I am not that brave yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/102199-Journal_01.jpg

The next two pages are just an example of the seven basic texturing strokes. I guess these should have been the first two pages, but oh well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/102199-Journal_02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/102199-Journal_03.jpg

This page I wanted to use the seven strokes with a watercolour wash. On the right side I wanted to use the different strokes together. All the drawings on this page are from imagination.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/102199-Journal_04.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doug

jacquip
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Doug this is a great start. I too love pen with watercolour washes and have only begun using a pen in the last few months. It is a lot of fun. I really like the way you are organising this journal with the reference pages of the basic pen techniques. Great example showing how they are used.

I look forward to seeing how you progress here. Thanks so much for sharing.

RainySea
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
That is an awesome beginning, Doug. I am going to follow along as I am also trying to learn watercolor. Love your final tree scene using all the sample line styles.

prismalos
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Wow, nice to see someone also starting out on watercolor! Those are great studies and are very helpful too. Thanks for sharing!

JTMB
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
A very good start, Doug! I am also fond of the pen and wash style, and have done some journal work with it. You'll have fun with this journal, for sure!

robertsloan2
05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Doug, this is great! I love your pages. The first one with the fruit is splendid, well executed on all levels. I sketch in pencil first too, that's just a natural thing to do. I occasionally sketch directly with pen but it comes out a lot looser when I do. I tend to do that only if I'm very familiar with the subject or thumbnailing.

Your exploration of the seven pen textures Claudia Nice described in her book is great. I love the first page examples, very clean and well done. The second page with washes came out well too, the tree scene using almost all of them and the other two on the blue sphere. This is a great beginning, it sets up for beautiful realism in pen and wash. Well done!

Dougwas
05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Jacqui- We are starting to use pens at the same time. I don't know what it is about ink. Maybe it is the thought of all of our mistakes showing. It can make the drawing more interesting. Anyway, thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Rainy- Another watercolour newbie! It is a fun medium that can give you so many effects. That last scene just came to me when I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and started drawing the tree. The rest just happened. I hope you do follow along. Thanks for looking.

Raymond- And another watercolour newbie! We are from all over the globe. That is one of the neat things about WetCanvas. Thanks for taking a look.

John- Thanks for the kind words. I am finding that ink and watercolour are a popular combination. I am having fun already.

Robert- I meant to mention that I got the strokes from Claudia Nice's book. Thanks for pointing that out. I have had the book for a few years and it caught my eye again when I was cleaning my studio. I wanted to have a reference in my journal so I didn't have to have the book beside me all the time.

I wanted to use all the strokes in one sketch, but I had to settle for two sketches. I love how easy it is to draw foliage. A few scribbles and a little paint and, presto! Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

Doug

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Great start. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. I too like the look of pen and wash.

kevinwueste
05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Good stuff! dig the colors!

robertsloan2
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I noticed it because I bought the book last April and tried it on several paintings in my watercolor journal, then got distracted (I think by pastels) and put it away. I just got the book out recently and have been rereading it and doing the techniques again lately with my new Pigma Micron pens.

It's funny, they're exactly the same as my old Pigma Micron pens, but knowing that I'm not going to run out is making me feel free and careless about using them a lot. And the color ones are better than the Prismacolor colored pens I used last year -- two of those have already run out. While I know Pigma Microns last years and years and it takes a lot to wear one out, so I trust the Micron colors will last like that too.

That book is wonderful. There's so much in it. Not always in the form of detailed step by step lessons, a lot of it is just a sketch of this, a painting of that, with captions highlighting a major point. It's very information packed but the format's a little unusual and very fun.

Your getting into it now with the same book has me all stirred up about it again, I should get back to the Water Folio tomorrow and see what colorful thing I can do. That and try to devise some dry equivalent for the sketchbook Folio. I've been considering trying it with Pan Pastels in very thin layers in that, to see if I can get a "dry watercolor-like wash" with them. It'd sure be a new style, wouldn't it?

Dougwas
05-25-2010, 02:40 AM
Robert- I would like to see more step by step demos too, but I should be able to figure out some of it. The spoon demo looks good and I just might try drawing one of our spoons soon. I want to do some discovering on my own, but I also want to try some things from the book. Use my own props, but use the book to show me how to do it.

I think my wife bought me the book about five or six years ago. I would pick it up and look at it and it would scare me. I didn't think I could do anything like that, so it sat in my bookcase. When I was cleaning my studio, I started thinking about starting this journal, forgetting I even had this book. When I was putting my art books back in the bookcase I spotted it. I guess it was meant to be, because now the book doesn't scare me.

I have the black Pigma Micron pen and 6 coloured ones. I will be using them as I move along, but right now I will stick with the black one. The pens really feel smooth going over the paper and I have had no smearing so far. The watercolours go over the ink nicely too. I am glad I have them.

Kevin- Thanks for taking a look. It is greatly appreciated.

Debby- Another pen and wash lover? I think there are more of us than I thought. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Doug

Yorky
05-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Good satrt Doug.

I'm a pen and wash fan, but too lazy to apply pen textures and shading.

Doug

ReggieS
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Doug ,
This is great! You can show you progress based on Claudia's techniques. Have fun! In the Watercolor forum Ona did a texuture's homework assignment one month last year. It was so much fun! Check it out.

Reggie

Vivien Maloney
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Great start to your Pen & Wash journal. I like the way you've documented your beginning onwards. Look forward to seeing more.

mhimeswc
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I too love pen and wash, or even just pen, but my attempts at it feel too clumsy and I end up going back to straight watercolor. I like how you have just started at the beginning with exercises to teach yourself a new medium. I'm looking forward to seeing you progress.

RiJoRi
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Nice!

Is that book, Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor? I Googled "Claudia Nice," and Amazon has about a dozen books by her!

Thanks,
--Rich

Dougwas
05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Doug- I loved your journals of your vacations. They must bring back memories from your trips. I would love to be able to sketch like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Reggie- Thanks for pointing me to Ona's thread. I had forgotten about it. WC is so big even a long time member can get lost. Thanks for looking.

Vivien- Thanks for stopping by. I figured I would try to go slower than I normally do when learning a new medium. I usually try running before I learn how to crawl.

Michelle- I figured doing some practice exercises would help me not get frustrated. You do lovely work with pen and wash. I would love to be able to produce sketches like you do. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rich- the book is titled Painting with Watercolor, Pen and Ink and is published by North Light Books. It is a compilation of two previous books by Claudia Nice, Creating Textures in Pen & Ink and Watercolor and Painting Nature in Pen & Ink and Watercolor.

Well, I did another page. This time I picked up some rocks from the driveway and painted them. These are all painted/sketched from life. I did the painting first, using a pencil sketch and then added pen marks to the rocks.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/102199-Journal_05.jpg

Doug

jacquip
05-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Great rocks there Doug. I have that Claudia Nice book. I am still to try the exercise in it. You might have just inspired me to :) I also really like her drawing your favourite animals in pem and watercolour, I have done most of the exercises in that one.

DrDebby
05-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I like your rocks. You are doing beautifully with this technique.

Davkin
05-27-2010, 12:11 AM
The rock studies are a great idea, picking up just a single element and working to get the color of form correct. I'll have to give that a shot, I definately need to work on color.

David

prismalos
05-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Doug, Your rocks rock! That's some useful information too for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

RiJoRi
05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
"Rich- the book is titled Painting with Watercolor, Pen and Ink and is published by North Light Books. It is a compilation of two previous books by Claudia Nice, Creating Textures in Pen & Ink and Watercolor and Painting Nature in Pen & Ink and Watercolor."

Thanks, Doug!

--Rich

Aiylah
05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Your sketches are looking great. I like watercolours with ink aswell, I hope to give it a try myself sometime. Also like reading your notes on your sketches :)

robertsloan2
05-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Doug- I loved your journals of your vacations. They must bring back memories from your trips. I would love to be able to sketch like that. Thanks for taking a look.

Reggie- Thanks for pointing me to Ona's thread. I had forgotten about it. WC is so big even a long time member can get lost. Thanks for looking.

Vivien- Thanks for stopping by. I figured I would try to go slower than I normally do when learning a new medium. I usually try running before I learn how to crawl.

Michelle- I figured doing some practice exercises would help me not get frustrated. You do lovely work with pen and wash. I would love to be able to produce sketches like you do. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rich- the book is titled Painting with Watercolor, Pen and Ink and is published by North Light Books. It is a compilation of two previous books by Claudia Nice, Creating Textures in Pen & Ink and Watercolor and Painting Nature in Pen & Ink and Watercolor.

Well, I did another page. This time I picked up some rocks from the driveway and painted them. These are all painted/sketched from life. I did the painting first, using a pencil sketch and then added pen marks to the rocks.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/102199-Journal_05.jpg

Doug

Doug, these rocks are spectacular. You've taken to Claudia's style so well. It's amazing. I love the detail and your notes on colors and techniques used. They're flawless. Fantastic! Keep going!

Dougwas
05-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Jacqui- Dig that book out and join in the fun. I am trying to take things slowly so things sink in. Thanks for taking a look.

Debby- Thanks for the nice comments. I am enjoying learning something new.

David- Discovering colour is fun. I even took a colour theory course last year. Yep, I am a colour geek. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Raymond- Thanks for looking. I want to be able to look at this journal in a year or two and know how I got the result. The notes will come in handy.

Aiylah- Thanks for taking the time to comment. It seems like ink and watercolour are popular. You should give it a try.

Robert- Thanks for the encouraging words. I seem to be getting braver with the pen now. It's not as intimidating as it was a week ago.

I have started on glass objects. I am not rushing just to be able to say "I did it." I want to take my time and learn. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.

Doug

robertsloan2
05-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Doug, this is going to be fantastic. I can't wait to see you do some glass objects. I love using this style for glass and metal, it's great. Marbles are good for a start, you can always use a compass or circle template for penciling to have a place to start, then work out the interior divisions with a pencil before inking or washing.

I tend to go Pencil > Inking > Watercolor > Maybe More Inking on those. It means I can erase the pencil out before I start doing washes, though the first round of inking may only define main forms.

WC Lee
06-01-2010, 03:59 AM
You are off to a great start :) going to be watching your progress

Jakesgram
07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Doug, this is a really cool sketchbook you are working on. First off, I love the book itself. How is the recylcled paper to work on? I've thought about buying some of that kind of sketchbook, but didn't know if the paper is any good.

The exercises you are doing are great! I recognize them, too. I have a couple of Claudia Nice's books and have never really had a keen interest in using pen and ink with watercolor before now. I've spent the past couple of years really focusing on learning to use watercolors. Think I'll have to haul out those books and give some of the exercises a try, too.

The stones are really well done, but my favorite is the exercise on May 24th, when you used all the strokes on the left side and then put most of them together on the right side. Great job applying the techniques! I teach watercolor classes for a few friends and the main issue I have with so many other teachers is that they show you the techniques but do not do a good job of tying them to how / when you would use them. You did a great job!

Jean

vhere
07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
good work :) I like the way you combine the pen and wash, with the pen marks not simply outlining but describing and earning their keep :)

jacquip
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Doug I took your advice and have started on the book. Been playing with the glass and metal textures. Ready to start playing with some rocks now too. Looking forward to seeing some more of your progress.

dolors
07-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Fantastic drawings. You are doing a great sketchbook! Have you visited the Pen and Ink forum here in Wet Canvas? You can learn a lot there too.

eyepaint
07-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Love this project! The fruit, the hatching.... all cool.

Ona did a "class" about ink & wc last year.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575629

virgo68
07-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi Doug, what a great little personalised reference book you are going to end up with! I really loved the colours in your earlier try-outs, and my hand is up - I too am a fan of pen and wash work (although I haven't quite mastered it myself yet!). I have the Claudia Nice book too, and you've inspired me to go dig out of the bookcase and have another look.... :)

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Love the watercolor and ink, rocks - they rock (weak attempt at a joke there).
You are doing so well with this sketchbook and you can teach me a lot about pen and ink! Can't wait to see more.