PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor Fantasy

prismalos
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi! So, after our revisiting of watercolor through Winsor & Newton's Cotman set (which spawned some new colors :lol:), I've decided to start a couple of journals using only watercolors. :)

So, this is my humble set. I know some artists would prefer high-end stuff such as artist grade brands, but not everyone can afford that. Maybe when I get better, but for now, Cotman is more than adequate.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/221150-DSCN8720.jpg

For the sketchpads, I'm using Postcard-sized Daler-Rowney and Clairefontane watercolor pads for smaller formats that I'd probably give away. I also use Daler-Rowney 10"x7" watercolor pad. All of them are 300gsm NOT.

The journey begins with a dragon. I've practically just squiggled everywhere here. This will probably be revisited for improvement.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/221150-DSCN8758.jpg

Next one is a tree typically found on fantasy-themed forests. I actually wanted to practice out on trees and I thought it was also a good way to creep in my love for fantasy in a typical landscape setting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/221150-DSCN8768.jpg

Probably the color I will use the most would be ultramarine and burnt umber for that nice grey that it produces. I'd probably get Paynes Grey and mix from that instead of mixing them all the time from two colors.

Still getting a load of videos and guides at the moment. I really like watercolor now, it's was just such a bad experience when I was a kid. Another reason I like it is that it's also very compatible with colored pencils!

Here's our play area, coffee included. On the upper left are my wife's (Sandra/purpalia) tin box with Cotman along with her bijou box (which we got for such a bargain!). My augmented Cotman set is on the lower right.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/221150-DSCN8771.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! Any tips much appreciated! :thumbsup: Especially on color secrets :D

robertsloan2
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh my! Her Bijou Box really is tiny! That's incredible. She really lucked on that.

Your red dragon's great. Nice musculature and bright strong color. These Cotmans are good for getting strong color. They're among the best student grade brands and I learned using them -- and kept coming back to them long after buying other sets because they were so good. Postcard pads and postcard sized pads are a great idea. The more different paintings you do, the faster you progress.

I can also see a nice swatch card with a color wheel on it, looks handmade, over by your setup. Glad you got some extra colours too, is that a turquoise or is that cerulean blue, the light blue there? It looks a little greenish and may be a very useful colour.

Great going on the carnivorous fantasy tree. It does look like it's laughing at the traveler, or giggling over having cast a curse or planned an ambush. Wild jack-o-lantern face to it, well done! Classic.

Tips on colour secrets... any greys created by mixing complements come out a bit more vibrant than greys from a pan. However, Payne's Grey is a tremendously useful colour as a mixer. By itself it's a convenience colour for simple shadows and thunderclouds. Beyond that, it's a cool darkener just the way Burnt Umber is a great warm darkener. When you want a dark green to retain its intensity, still seem very, very green, a touch of Payne's Grey or a deep greenish blue like Prussian Blue can keep it bright.

When you want to mute it a little and make it look more natural, darken green with Alizarin Crimson the way I did in the sponge painting demo. Complements mute down colours, but in a jazzy way. A little of one will create a wonderfully rich hue.

After a painting's completely dry, look for accent darks, places where with a pen line or glazing in a strong dark colour you could make the middle values and light highlights pop. If you leave white highlights and paint around them, anything will look glossy and shiny. If you wanted your dragon to have very shiny scales, then leaving white or very pale orangy-pink highlights on him that are broken up by crosshatching with a fine brush at the edges would give an impression of a scale texture glittering in the sun. Glaze a little yellow over that for sunlight and he'd sparkle.

You can add accent highlights by scraping them in with a razor blade. Lots of books recommend that. I haven't actually tried it yet, but like the sponge painting, I'm pretty sure it'll work. It's not something you can paint over again afterward or it'd become a dark spot.

Scrape highlights while the paint is wet and it can look really cool. I just got this book by Terry Harrison that goes into a lot of these techniques.

Ah. Landscape and pushing the values. I got this tip in the Pastels Forum, it's from Carlson's Landscape Guide which got recommended to me by several professionals there. If you break up landscapes by how vertical the area is, you get the very lightest values in the sky -- that's where the light comes from except at night when it's from torchlight, bonfires, street lamps etc.

The darkest daytime values are the sides of trees. They are completely vertical. So they should be the darkest elements in a landscape, especially if they're in the near ground.

The sides of hills and mountains are slanted, also rooftops, so the values will be middle dark, closer to the vertical trees than to the land. The land usually being flat, except where there's shadows it will be medium light -- darker than the sky but lighter than the hills.

Then... everything gets lighter and bluer as it recedes into the distance. Distant mountains are usually sort of blue-violet, hardly any yellow tones. Pinks and reds return before yellows do in the foreground. Start doing this as glazes on snow scenes and it's spectacular.

Oh yeah, when there's snow the ground can be lighter than the sky -- but only in its highlights.

So I hope that helps. Sketching the scene first in monochrome to establish the values and get it to look good without colour, before doing the colour version, is a good way to get the values right. You have strong colour now, but I noticed in the dragon painting that there weren't any real deep-darks, nor any reserved white areas. Not even small patches or details. If you broaden the value range and keep the colours natural, it'll look very lifelike.

If he were my dragon I might go in with pure Alizarin Crimson as strong as I could get it, to strengthen the modeling shadows and make the dragon more rounded. Also that'd make his bright areas look even redder and brighter. If you wait till it's completely dry and paint on another layer without disturbing the first (don't scrub the brush around a lot), that's glazing. It's how I built up a lot of my better paintings -- adding layer after layer to darken them.

You can test glazing on a scrap too, say Ultramarine. Mix some wet. Do a long patch, let it dry. Then do about 3/4 of it again painting over the first bit. Then do about half the area with a third when the second pass is dry. Then go over it again with a fourth... you'll start to see how strong watercolors can get with multiple successive glazes. It's also cool to shift colours that way.

I sometimes use a thin blue glaze into shadows or a violet one, and a thin yellow or golden glaze over all the highlights. Especially if there's dawn or late afternoon light, that makes the light look golden if I do it systematically over the whole painting.

Hope these tips help! These two are great and I can't wait to see more!

Dougwas
05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Good start, Raymond. Very colourful dragon and a very recognizable tree. You captured an eerie look. Don't worry about using Cotman paints. I am using them as well for my journal. I have W & N artist tube paints, but I am saving them for watercolour paintings. The Cotman paints will suit us fine for our journals.

Keep at it.

Doug

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
:lol: I got a picture in my head of the dragon and the tree sharing "lunch". Sorry, the imagination goes. Great paintings.

prismalos
05-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the tips, Robert! I was expecting that from Paynes Grey, I think that a mixture will always be more vibrant than a stand alone pigment, but like you said, a mixer for convenience, that's what I'm looking for. :D

You were right about that swatch card. I made this with the basic color wheel to re-orient myself yet again and also colors that I either discover or learn with tutorials like that of Bob Davies' and tips like the ones you and others here have given all along, that tutorial video of yours was helpful too, thanks!:thumbsup:

I have seen those glazes, particularly with Lemon Yellow, it totally changes the scene! It's amazing! As though the scene was sunlit naturally! I'm gonna try with blues and violets for nights.

Thanks Doug! My sentiments exactly. At this point, lightfastness isn't much of a concern as I am not selling my works nor is painting my full-time job. In a sketchpad, they're always protected anyway, and they beat the crap out of scholastic grade products! :D

Thanks, Debby! Ah, imagination goes wild! :lol: Oh, no problem, I think there will be even more of that when I start filling them up some more! :lol:

robertsloan2
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Raymond, your swatch test and color wheel rocks. Another exercise I did on a much earlier watercolor pad scribble book, sort of a precursor of the Goof Off Book but most of the pages were given away as paintings. I used my W&N Field Kit and I did long mixing swatches. Each pair of colors, pure at each end, and then mixtures that started 50-50 in the middle and gradually had more of the color on that side till I reached pure color. Like, half again more of the one on that side, half again, and so on till it was only one step off pure.

I think I started them in the middle with the 50-50 mix and then just split that into two patches on the palette and kept doing the new mixes. It was fun and it revealed some gorgeous mixes. I had the complementary pairs in one grouping and I had the non-complementary combinations in another, testing each of the reds against each of the greens and so on.

I also found out which combinations were so close that I could use either version in a painting, depending on what was down first. Then I did something like that again with the swatches grid in the Goof Off Book, just using the ten colors of the Color Map series from Daniel Smith. That had some surprises too, including just how useful Quinacridone Gold is as a super yellow and yellow darkener.

prismalos
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Ah, finally got something! Thanks for the mixing tips, Robert. I may want to try that. I was reading your octopus underpainting article you wrote back then, do you think the theory can be applied if only watercolors are to be used? That's an awesome tutorial, by the way! :clap:

I'll probably start out the few pages with small excerces, still leaning on fantasy themes. I used Daler-Rowney 300gsm Watercolour Pad for this one (10"x7"). I browsed the art supply shop this afternoon and I've found those Canson XL watercolour pads that were microperforated. Why show up now!? :mad:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/221150-DSCN8785.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/221150-DSCN8786.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/221150-DSCN8788.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/221150-DSCN8789.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/221150-DSCN8784.jpg

Really had fun doing this while watching a téléfilm. I just wanted to lay down theories that I've gathered from various sources and experience from other media. Basic mixes, so far ultramarine and burnt umber are the most used. I love them :D

Thanks for stopping by.

DrDebby
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Love your mix notes and your illustrations of what to do with them. Really good information.

prismalos
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Debby! Yup, I also want this to be reference for future projects.

Now, I've done something I've been longing to paint from one of my favorite artists, Mark Tedin. Juzam Djinn! (10"x7") :clap:

DrDebby
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Cool Djinn! He looks ready for some major mischief. :wink2:

robertsloan2
05-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Magnificent Djinn! He looks mean! Love the slightly down-turned horn, though that might be from the original character. That expression's wonderful.

There is an artist on HubPages and YouTube. Waynet on Hubpages, Wayne Tully on YouTube. He does tons of fun video tutorials on drawing fantasy and comics subjects mostly -- demons, vampires (his are the really ugly nosferatu kind, fun!) carnivorous trees, the occasional wizard and brawny hero. Most show his sketching process beginning to end. Sometimes he does tutorials that are written too.

Your djinn reminded me of his style of demon drawing. I think he may have even done the same character, but his demons are fun. Check out his tutorials, you might get some fun ideas. Also he does the muscled bulky body and clawed hands really well. Your classic Hulk build with scales sort of thing.

Your mixing tests are wonderful. Love the iron tests! That looks like rusted iron, it just jumps out at me!

Within a cave, the interior will only be lighter than the outside if there's a source of light inside. It'll be someone's torch or it'll be volcanic fire deep in there or something.

Try doing it again this way. Paint the cool Greyskull cave exterior the same way with the same tints -- just as you did. Sketch the gorgeous layered interior you did, same lines. Then use warm yellow (not lemon yellow) and start mixing it toward orange and red in each successive band till at the outside you're using Alizarin Crimson mixed with Payne's Grey to make just a red-tinted layer about as dark as the outside.

Do it again and make each layer going in one step darker by glazing, till the distance is just solid black. That's a cave where the torch has gone out. It's tricky getting that many darker values if the outside is as dark as you've got it, but your cave stone is a beautiful mid-dark and you could probably do it. Do them separately though to compare to your first one, which does look good.

I just noticed that the note specifically reversed the lighting inside and outside caves, so needed to explain that and suggest a couple more cave studies. Great exterior! Looks like it's carved by orcs. "This is our front door. Come in and be lunch. Our tribe's big, see, we got that many orcs out carving rocks to make this big scary cave mouth sculpture, so your tribe's toast."

Your trees are not overdone. Your trees are your best yet! I love the volume in the foliage masses. I love the trunks that slant and slope and have that slightly irregular shape tree trunks always do, the natural shape of the branches and foliage clumps. I love the directional lighting that makes them look solid and real.

These are great. The left-side tree could get some mid-values dabbed into foliage clumps, above the deep shadow but not covering all of the light areas, always on the underside. Looks like noon light on that one and light from the left on the greener one. Both look good. Be sure to use both in the same landscape, if you slightly vary the hue of individual trees it looks very natural.

All three, I should say. The bare tree to the far left looks great too, it has wonderful form. Very natural. Branches always taper smaller toward the tip, often bend and angle in different ways at "elbows" and may bulge slightly like an arthritic knuckle when another branch comes off them. I should do a spooky branch tutorial with notes too, had fun with the Sponge Tree one.

Great light red skin tone on the bulky arm with clawed hand. A little reddish but that works for some humans too. Adjust with Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre and Payne's Grey, adjust how light and dark by how much water, and you've got anyone's skin tone with that. Light Red is quite redder than Burnt Sienna, so it may usually need just a touch of Payne's Grey to come back to "skin tone" rather than "sunburned skin tone or extremely ruddy complexion."

Something cool -- my daughter is passing on to me a Cotman set of 24 so I may be able to do some tutorials with exactly the same watercolors. That'll be fun. You and Sandra and lots of people have Cotmans, they're easy to get anywhere in the world and very good, so I should really do some with those.

Aiylah
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I love that tree with the face :D I often think of trees in such a way, also their branches being fingers or arms reaching up or something. The exercise pages are looking great too! The Djinn looks like he's plotting something :lol:

Anne-Marie
05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I love your studies! That is what so attracts me to art notebooks--the little notations and experiments. The tree looks like something in a nightmare, or a children's book--very fanciful and scary! I also like the pix of your materials. I love materials pix--so fun to see what other people use and how the set things up.

prismalos
05-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Anne-Marie, thank you! I love seeing other people's stuff too and I'm a pack rat when it comes to these things as I keep everything and want to collect everything. :rolleyes:

Aiylah, thanks! I really love that djinn. It's so 1997 and it brings back a lot of good memories back then when I was playing MTG. I'm generally a "character" guy, I love drawing figures and single characters and I've never done foliage for as long as I can remember and this horror trees gives me a perfect excuse to practice nature :D

Robert, thanks for the tips, man! Oh, I'll try this cave effect! Great idea for the skin tone too as I am still a bit lost in how to blend the right skin tones, how much water and correct timing. From what I've seen on some tutorials is that the trick is more water. I just haven't experimented much yet on how to blend them together.

I also liked the second tree (on the right) better. I tried the one on your journal, mixing viridian and lemon yellow, it's one of the brightest greens I've ever mixed and I love it!

In my reference picture, the horns were cropped of the portrait and upon checking, I think the horns should both go upward, but since it was cropped, I had thought that one should be twisted downward. It makes for a good accident, so I am happy about it too :D

It didn't look right until I placed the shadows. At first I had thought that I ruined my sketch and just splattered on some green pigment on paper. I was so scared that it would look nothing like my reference picture. I could have made more details with pen, but I didn't want the stark lines.

My hands are still a bit clumsy in this medium but practicing makes it really easier on things that I didn't have a clue how to do before. It's such a rejuvenating experience. purpalia says hello too!

We've recently placed an order for waterbrushes but it takes forever to get to the store and on top of that, we'll have to pick them up. :rolleyes: That's why we got Sakura Koi Field Box Set (18) instead! :clap:

Testing them out, I don't find them much different than the W&N Cotman we have and it feels good recklessly testing out colors and shades I could do without a real sense of fear screwing up as it's pretty affordable and easy to get. The waterbrush is AMAZING! I'm not really surprised as it came from Japan! :clap:I don't know what they smoke there too to make such crazy ideas into marvelous products.

This foliage isn't really normal! :lol:

Thanks for looking again! :wave:

prismalos
05-30-2010, 06:11 AM
sorry for the double post, a hiccup on my connection :rolleyes:

Anne-Marie
05-30-2010, 11:13 AM
oooh--I love the flying dragon and the ghost of a second dragon! it is very evocative and cool--like the second dragon is just in the process of materializing or something!

Fun! Keep it up!

DrDebby
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Raymond, love the sky dancing dragons. You get the feeling they are HUGE! It's so fun watching you experiment. Thanks for sharing.

prismalos
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Debby, Anne-Marie! Today was really random and I don't know how I got to put trees on that shady character on the left. Others here started with shapes of a color, from there, I tried to make something out if it. The aquatic serpent was my fave on this page.

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by, G'night! :wave:

robertsloan2
06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Anne-Marie, thank you! I love seeing other people's stuff too and I'm a pack rat when it comes to these things as I keep everything and want to collect everything. :rolleyes:

Aiylah, thanks! I really love that djinn. It's so 1997 and it brings back a lot of good memories back then when I was playing MTG. I'm generally a "character" guy, I love drawing figures and single characters and I've never done foliage for as long as I can remember and this horror trees gives me a perfect excuse to practice nature :D

Robert, thanks for the tips, man! Oh, I'll try this cave effect! Great idea for the skin tone too as I am still a bit lost in how to blend the right skin tones, how much water and correct timing. From what I've seen on some tutorials is that the trick is more water. I just haven't experimented much yet on how to blend them together.

I also liked the second tree (on the right) better. I tried the one on your journal, mixing viridian and lemon yellow, it's one of the brightest greens I've ever mixed and I love it!

In my reference picture, the horns were cropped of the portrait and upon checking, I think the horns should both go upward, but since it was cropped, I had thought that one should be twisted downward. It makes for a good accident, so I am happy about it too :D

It didn't look right until I placed the shadows. At first I had thought that I ruined my sketch and just splattered on some green pigment on paper. I was so scared that it would look nothing like my reference picture. I could have made more details with pen, but I didn't want the stark lines.

My hands are still a bit clumsy in this medium but practicing makes it really easier on things that I didn't have a clue how to do before. It's such a rejuvenating experience. purpalia says hello too!

We've recently placed an order for waterbrushes but it takes forever to get to the store and on top of that, we'll have to pick them up. :rolleyes: That's why we got Sakura Koi Field Box Set (18) instead! :clap:

Testing them out, I don't find them much different than the W&N Cotman we have and it feels good recklessly testing out colors and shades I could do without a real sense of fear screwing up as it's pretty affordable and easy to get. The waterbrush is AMAZING! I'm not really surprised as it came from Japan! :clap:I don't know what they smoke there too to make such crazy ideas into marvelous products.

This foliage isn't really normal! :lol:

Thanks for looking again! :wave:

I think this foliage looks pretty good, and I love the two dragons, one ghostly and one more solid. This scene is gorgeous. It's laid out beautifully too. Well done!

Today's page is cool too. Some good trees, that gorgeous blue creature that's somewhat draconian, the woman with a third eye and that fae being on the lower left. Cool sketches page. I can see you're finding out how convenient that waterbrush can be.

It was a great idea your getting the Sakura set, because that's so convenient and the quality's very high. I get a big kick out of them all the time and had to try the bigger set once they came out with it.

prismalos
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Robert, thank you! Yes, I'd vote waterbrushes for president! :lol: I've also noticed that two drops of water while dabbing it on a piece of tissue cleans it, making it ready to pick up another pigment. I'm really happy about it, quality and blending are great too.

My last one for the day. My Sakura Koi color swatch! :D It started as shapes of dragons, then I had this idea to make every swatch a slightly different shape resembling a dragon and finally going in with ink in the end! :D

Thanks for stopping by!

Aiylah
06-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Ooh, nice idea there with the dragon colour swatch! :D The colours look lovely and vibrant. Also like the dragon impressions with the trees on the previous page; simple yet effective. And that aquatic serpent is great, he stands out from the page with those lovely colours!

DrDebby
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
The kaleidoscope of images is so cool. Like the water dragon (?). Feels like it's coming off the page there. And your color swatch dragons are just the most awesome idea. Much more lively that my blobs, squares and circles.

robertsloan2
06-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I love this! You've got the coolest swatch page I've seen yet. Just looked at a Daniel Smith tutorial on Mixing Chickens, where the artist got bored with just swatches so paints little silhouettes of chickens with both hands, doing head with one hand and tail with the other in two different colors to let them mingle. This is like that but even more beautiful.

I love the variety in them. Each one has a slightly different character, their details are all unique. It's like the field book of dragon subspecies, scaly or spiky or smooth... they are all cool and the colors in order just leap out together.

I like swatch pages anyway but this is something special. Well done! I should try something like this next time I need to do swatches of something, repeat a series of small monochrome drawings or paintings.

prismalos
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I really love the swatch I made too! I have to admit making swatches bores me a bit, so I just went on to add a little interest on it :lol: I was also surprised at what kind of shapes the dragon heads turned into and I'll make bigger versions of the ones I really liked.

It's been a while I'm away, but we had a great sunny weekend and here's what I've summoned up :D

First photo below is another character, although this costume is not hers and she shouldn't hold a staff! But this was how the drawing turned out to be, and I like staffs. Sometimes I get carried away at drawing anything, not the ones I intended to draw. I also concentrated on the two "actors" :D

Second one is the first version of a lady kissing/caressing her dragon. I made another one for my wife but with different poses and style, she colored them wonderfully!

Both are done on Daler-Rowney 10"x7" NOT paper using HB mechanical pencil, assorted Faber-Castell PITT pens (which I loooove!) and Sakura Koi Watercolors (18).
Thanks for stopping by... come again! :clap::lol:

DrDebby
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Such contrast between the 2 paintings. From fighting dragons to kissing one. Love the coloration on the purple dragon, very nice.

robertsloan2
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Both of these are great, Raymond! Your character seems to know what she's doing with a staff and isn't put off by having to borrow some other character's costume at all -- that scene is so energetic and dramatic. Beautiful. The mixed purples on the fighting dragons are great too, they vary a lot the way a group of iguanas will vary in shades of green or bronze.

I like this version of the dragon and his lady too. Saw the one you did for Sandra and loved how she colored it, thought it was great, this one rocks too. Very big dragon this time, looks as though he could carry her on his head. Well done!

Whisperwood
06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Love the dragon color swatches! Great idea! Of course the other paintings are cool too! I like this last "pink" Dragon!

mhimeswc
06-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I love your swatch page! :-)

prismalos
06-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks, Rachel, Michelle! I love them too, if you have the time, try it yourselves too, with a subject you love. As for me, it's dragons, so :D

Thanks, Debby! My, you are right! I hadn't realized this myself. I think that latter was the effect of a nice, sunny day. I felt really good having a bit of sun, sitting on a bench with family while drawing. :)

Robert, thanks! I'm happy on how these paintings had turned out to be. :) I did a blooper on the second, though, if you notice the tree branch in the middle is smaller on the lower branch. I forgot to cover up more of the tree part on the coloring stage, but it's fine, it's a strange tree! :lol:

I think that is the beauty of fantasy. You can exagerrate all you want!:D

Nancys
06-09-2010, 02:41 AM
I love seeing people's set ups and painting areas and what books and colors they are using. Thanks and Robert, you need to post some of your color notes and let us put them in our sketchbooks. I like the B. Umber and P. Grey info..

robertsloan2
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I see it now, Raymond, but didn't notice at first. Partly because when I looked close, it looks as if it starts to fork there but one fork is somewhat behind the other. One line to show that it's forking would clear up that "thinner below the dragon" problem.

Nancy, thank you. Yes, I should start doing color notes. I wanted to mess with watercolors today so maybe I'll do something like that, explore specific colors with something that's predominantly that color using my Winsor & Newtons new-to-me 24 color set. So I've started a page in Water Folio One exploring the colors in that set with notes about the pigments and how they handle, hope you enjoy them. Going to paint something with each of the colors or pigment groups to demonstrate that too.

JTMB
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice work, Raymond! My favorites are the dragon swatch page and the damsel kissing her dragon.

prismalos
06-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks Nancy, Robert, John! :clap:

It's been a chaotic week and a gloomy one :crying: That's not gonna stop my dragon love just yet! :D

DrDebby
06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Sorry about your chaotic, gloomy week. Hope next week is better. Great dragons. I'm reading an aerial combat here. Am I right?

Jakesgram
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi Raymond!

I don't really know anything about fantasy images, but I am really liking the work you are doing here. Although my setup is different, I use those exact same cotman half-pans when I travel and I am always thrilled by the results. The colors are so rich and gorgeous!

All of your work is cool, but I especially like the dragon color swatches. That is such a great idea - keeps you from getting bored and gives you lots of practice sketching the dragon heads. My other favorite is the female character surrounded by purple dragons. My first view was to be fascinated by the positive images - the lady and all the clear and shadowy dragons. But then, I noticed how interesting all the negative spaces are. Also, the shading on her costume is very good.

I like everything else of course, but I think this one is my favorite.

Jean

robertsloan2
06-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Great dragon riders painting. I like the sense of distance you gave it, the way the scene really shows a lot of motion as well. Very cool. Very three dimensional. Love the colors on the dragons and the foreshortened head of the blue one in the foreground.

prismalos
06-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks Debby! You got it! Had a great vacation with my wife and fun drawing and painting :)

Thank you, Jean! I guess that's a great point about fantasy, everyone can relate to it in some way because it has strong relations to life itself like nature and animals... except that they're exagerrated :)

Robert, thanks! I'm glad I could achieve that sense of distance, I wanted to add more "dragon chasers" but I'll save that for next time because I wanted to see the results on this one first (impatient :lol:)

Well, some more stuff done and to come :)

First is a very cute bird that strongly resembles a penguin, I couldn't find the name in english, but in french it's called a "bébé manchot". I saw this on a card game given for free when we purchased our groceries. I want it for a pet if possible :lol: I just couldn't resist adapting it into a fantasy world. :D Used my canson postcard watercolor paper and Sakura Koi Watercolors with a bit of Pitt Brush pens here and there.

Second one is still in progress, cave with the scorpion knight and her legions of scorpions with some of my characters Mystic and Bejeanne. This scene should be in Chapter 4 on our drafted novel. I did the sketch on my bigger Daler-Rowney Aquafine watercolour pad (10"x7").

Thanks!

Aiylah
06-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Aww! That penguin-like bird is cute :D Reminds me of Mumble from Happy Feet, if you've seen that. I also like that sky combat scene with the two dragons and their riders, that's a nice illustrative style. And I think your dragons are getting better and better :D

robertsloan2
06-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Great sketch of the manchot and barbarian companion, very cool! Your sketch of the scorpion knight and her army of scorpions against your characters is great too. You're improving all over the place, I can see it just within this thread. They're getting livelier every time.

You might try watching "Walking with Monsters" from the BBC, rent it or something -- and freeze frame on Brontoscorpio and the big eurypterid. Those are great prehistoric sea scorpions that'd work well in a fantasy context.

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 09:40 PM
The manchot is so cute! I can see why you'd want one for a pet.

The scorpion legion against the characters back to back is great. Waiting to see more.

RiJoRi
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
... First is a very cute bird that strongly resembles a penguin, I couldn't find the name in english, but in french it's called a "bébé manchot". I saw this on a card game given for free when we purchased our groceries. I want it for a pet if possible :lol:

Google/Wikipedia/Wictionary to the rescue! It is, apparently, a baby penguin!
Manchot [m (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/API_m)ɑ̃ (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/API_%C9%91%CC%83)ʃ (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/API_%CA%83)o (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/API_o)] est un nom vernaculaire (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nom_vernaculaire) désignant en français (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ais) des oiseaux (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oiseau) marins de l'hémisphère austral (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9misph%C3%A8re_austral), incapables de voler à cause de leur adaptation à la vie aquatique. Ce terme désigne spécifiquement plusieurs espèces (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esp%C3%A8ce) de la famille (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famille_%28biologie%29) des Spheniscidae (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheniscidae) à laquelle appartient aussi les gorfous (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorfou) ou « manchots à aigrettes ».

manchot m. (plural manchots (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manchots); feminine manchote (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manchote), plural manchotes (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manchotes))

penguin (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/penguin)
one-armed (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/one-armed) or no-armed person

--Rich :smug:

Vivien Maloney
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Great dragon sketches Raymond! Very imaginitive and creative, and your dragon color swatch page is awesome.

virgo68
07-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Raymond, your scenes are getting more complicated with extra elements - I agree with Robert that you are improving with each drawing! The manchot is very cute and his friend is too! I think that one could be developed further into a more complete piece of work, it would make a great fantasy painting.

prismalos
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks, everyone! So many things to do, so little time. Indeed practice really makes it easier everytime.

I've started to mix inks and watercolors. I think I am more comfortable with this mix and enjoying it all the way.

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Wow! The lady in the red cloak and gown is striking! I love her proportions and pose. I like the details of the braided trim on her sleeves too and the elegant curves of her body. Gorgeous face, plenty of accuracy in the features and placement. Her hands look good too - very tricky! Well done!

DrDebby
09-10-2010, 04:03 AM
She's lovely.

prismalos
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Robert, Debby! Yup, my hands cringe in drawing hands, but it gets better. :)

A small one for now. Just used Sakura Koi 18 watercolours and an S FC PITT artist pen (Black).

Thanks for stopping by. :wave:

DrDebby
10-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Oooh, water dragon. Poor ship.

virgo68
10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Compact = great impact! Your colour work is great here Raymond!

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Oh LOVE it all!!!!! THe difference in the works since starting is evident, you are becoming more confident and bolder with the use of line and colour.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey