PDA

View Full Version : Accoutant by day, artist by night?

caymankelly
05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Hello all,

I recently started drawing cartoons for my daughter for fun and it turns out that I am really enjoying it. I work as an accountant and have always believed that I have zero artistic ability. I do not have any experience or training with respect to drawing. I really just started for the first time about a month ago. However, my wife has been very encouraging and has motivated me to continue to explore this new avenue.

I have attached some of the portraits that I have sketched over the past couple of weeks.

I am looking forward to some independant c&c.

Have a great day

JK

Davkin
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd say you definately have natural ability. With practice you'll definately go far with art.

David

eyepaint
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Good job! You would not want to see the portraits I drew after one month of beginner drawing practice :)

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, only a month!? Keep going. These are very good likenesses. The only C&C I would offer depends on what you were after. If you after cartoons, then keep going. If you are after more realistic portraiture, then I would offer that you try to create the "lines" of your drawing with shading, rather than lines.

caymankelly
05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Wow, only a month!? Keep going. These are very good likenesses. The only C&C I would offer depends on what you were after. If you after cartoons, then keep going. If you are after more realistic portraiture, then I would offer that you try to create the "lines" of your drawing with shading, rather than lines.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Joan T
05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Very good likenesses! Keep the journal going.

Vivien Maloney
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Your portraits are very good, and after only a month of drawing, wow! Just keep going. You are doing great.

prismalos
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I believe everyone has that spark of "artistic ability" as many call it. It's just a matter of learning the techniques and improving them through practice.

By the looks of it, you have a really good start. If you can do all these (which are very good!) in just a month, you have no other way to go than up on your next projects.

robertsloan2
05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Good portraits! I liked the President and the baby with his tongue sticking out the best. You might technically be a beginner, but these are very sophisticated. Well done! Keep on with it!

One of the biggest things about accuracy in drawing anything is observation... and you already have the fundamental human proportions down well. That's fantastic. Keep drawing, maybe try some other subjects too, and for cartooning think about simplifying and stylizing people's faces and bodies. It doesn't ruin the capacity for realism to cartoon or vice versa.

nancymae
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
A fellow Balanced Brain Person!! I am also an accountant during the day, but my passion is my art....which sometimes I think about during the day...alot...shhhhhhhh.

Your portraits are awesome!! Don't ever think again you have no talent....because YOU DO!! Keep it up, visit here often, look at other's art, and keep drawing/painting/seeing. It's all good!

Welcome!

Nancy

Davkin
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I guess you could say I have a bit of "balanced brain" as well since I'm a mechanical designer by day. Not accounting but still a lot of numbers and linear thought involved. :)

David

caymankelly
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the comments and encouragement.

Aiylah
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree with what has been said, you're off to a great start with these portraits!

Jakesgram
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
A fellow Balanced Brain Person!! I am also an accountant during the day, but my passion is my art....which sometimes I think about during the day...alot...shhhhhhhh.

Your portraits are awesome!! Don't ever think again you have no talent....because YOU DO!! Keep it up, visit here often, look at other's art, and keep drawing/painting/seeing. It's all good!

Welcome!

Nancy

Ha! I am a Balanced Brain Person too. I spent my career programming and troubleshooting computer software and my "wanna-be" hobby was always art. Now I am retired, the right brain is getting soooooooo much more exercise than it used to get. :lol:

JK: Your portraits are wonderful. I can't believe you have only recently started. Your daughter must be thrilled with the cartoons you have done for her. The only comment I have for you is keep practicing. You will only get better and better as you go.

Jean