PDA

View Full Version : WIA Monday 24th May

LadyArowana
05-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone :wave: looks like everyone was out enjoying some Summer from how quiet it was here at the weekend. I went to Acton to an auction viewing, nothing worth going back for. A couple of nice bits, but not on my wish list. Today I just got my kitchen chairs :clap: think DH will be happier with these. I still have a slight yearning for the transparent ones, but I may still sneak them in somewhere else :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/45865-Chairssm.JPG

No word from the dratted pelmet/ curtain people. I thought they didn't want to be bothered, they have ruled themselves out of any future projects of course. I wouldn't give a larger job to people that were this unprofessional. I would rather them say that it wasn't something they wanted to do then twice saying they would call and then not. I have another option but they are closed today so will call tomorrow.

Still have lots of things to do before hols on Thursday, meeting DH in Italy !

Have a good one all. Fiona

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
testing to see if my post goes through before I write a long post...

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
OK then. the CGI error I kept getting yesterday seems to be gone.

Fiona, that looks nice, very Shaker, light and airy, almost see-through.

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
OK! I'm back :) Luke went to school today, coughing... but whatever. He said he feels fine. I'm going to head out in a few to get some more dirt for my beds. I have a bunch of veggies left to plant, including an artichoke that Luke picked out and watermelon seeds for tiny watermelons you can grow on a trellis - again, Luke picked those out. And cantaloupe. Who knows if that will grow here. We will see! So dirt, a couple of trellises... next year I won't have to buy dirt, I can just add in compost.

Fiona, that's definitely a universal problem. We have to call three companies usually to get one to call back.

claire.c
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
David still isn't back, after texting me last night to say he would be home today by 5.00 (rather than yesterday as I was expecting). Tempted to think he might as well stay gone now. Leon had to come to work with me, he was very good and sweet, he's rather quiet in this heat and he enjoyed having the aircon on at work. I have a night in and plan on doing a bit of sewing and not a lot else.

Fiona, yes I like those, simple and classic, and you can turn them upside down on the table to hang a jelly bag from the legs - that's vital in a kitchen chair. Nuisance about the pelmet, I take it you don't have the equipment to do it yourself? A trip to Italy sounds perfect.

Pam, well done getting the garden sorted, I think we won't be planting anything this year, but our artichokes are thriving and I have some tomato plants in a pot on the patio.

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
sounds like David is in the dog house! I'm trying to figure out the jelly bag bit....

got my dirt, now to lug it to the back yard and empty it in. Ugh.

Dawnt0721
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't make it here this weekend. It was a little crazy. I worked Saturday and then we took the kids to the drive-in to see Shrek 3. We didn't stay for Iron Man 2 so I had to promise the boys I would take them to the discount theatre as soon as it's there.

RJ bought a car this weekend so I took it to town this morning to get the plates and registration sorted then dropped it off at the school so he can drive it home.

It seems Cody, Kelly and I have caught Chase's cold. We're all feeling a little worn down but it's the last week of school so - yay!

Fiona - love that table!

Pam - I'll let you know as soon as I know what day we're doing the show. We're still coordinating all the trips and whatnot.

Claire - how nice that Leon can go to work with you and that he behaves himself. My boss at the bead store brings her dogs in but she won't let employees bring theirs for fear of liability.

Okay I'm thinking I need a little nap and then I'm turning my torch on! I bought JC and MZ's tutorial and want to play with glass. It's been SO long. I really should work on my project for my jewelry class since tomorrow is the last class but I'm SO over it! It's too hard and he's not giving me good direction. Grr. Need this week to be over!

Hugs all around.

Barrie
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Good afternoon!!
Fiona, I like those chairs (though the clear ones were kind of funky) - these are definitely classic and won't go out of style. I had to look up 'pelmet' tho - we would call them a valance. Shame on the company - I hate when that happens.

Pam, sounds like you're in full farmer mode! lol With a little help from Luke of course!!

Claire, sounds like David needs a good throttling with the pointy stick - hope he isn't stressing you too much with his being gone. Leon is the perfect companion - acts up just enough so you don't get bored but not so much that you want to throw him out! :) Like Pam, I'm trying to figure out what gelly bags are?! lol

Dawn, hope you get to make a few beads before 'Mom' duty calls again! Shame about the jewelry class - wish you lived closer, we could figure it out together. If you need help, I'm an email away (I know, you probably already know that!).

:eave: to all today. It's a holiday here so dh is home. We're heading out shortly to buy a new bathroom sink to go with the new bathroom countertop on the not-so-new-but-will-look-like-it-after-painting vanity. I found a wholesale place that will sell to anyone, and I'm hoping to get one of those funky square ones (that sits on top of the counter instead of sunk in. They also sell glass vessel sinks, so when the time comes for my downstairs bathroom, I'm going to go back and get one of those for my posh downstairs bathroom. Someday!! lol Other than that, it's a quiet long weekend. Tomorrow night's class is chainmaille, so I will have an easy time of it - very relaxing for me but will probably make the students crazy! hah!! Hope everyone has a great day!! Cheers!

claire.c
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
A jelly bag is a conical muslin bag which you put fruit pulp in to strain, it has loops around the edge which you hang over the chair/stool legs and put the bowl underneath to catch the juice. Then you use the juice to make jelly, not the sort of jelly which you call jello but like a clear jam that you call jelly. It is a traditional thing from an english childhood, we were always told not to poke the bag as it made the juice cloudy - it was soooo tempting!

LadyArowana
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for explaining that Claire, I can pretty much guarantee that won't be happening here, even with suitable chairs LOL I think David might need to be given pointy stick treatment and sent to the doghouse. Sounds like he knew he wouldn't be popular if he sent an SMS.

Pam, lugging bags of dirt isn't fun, but I am sure that the results will be worth it. Luke will have fun watching stuff grow and maybe eating it later. What are you planting on the new garden decoration that you bought?

Dawn, that's a shame about the jewelry class. I am sure you would be more than capable if you had the right sort of mentor to help. Hope the nap recharged you and the rest of the day was good. Glad you liked the table, it was a cheapo from Ikea. When they said flatpacked the meant exactly that! every little thing had to be put together, each of the drawers in the centre came as 5 pieces. The chairs came from a "proper" place though, so didn't arrive as a pile of sticks.

Barrie, I did a more classic kitchen in the hopes it won't "date" quite so quickly, and I think the jury is still out on whether those chairs will become iconic and everlasting or if they will be "very early 21st C " soon. I hope you get all the bits for the bathroom project, is DH working on it later over the holiday?

Weather supposed to cool down tomorrow, such a shame. Hi to everyone who drops in later. Fiona

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
OK, Claire, thanks for clearing that up! I think here there is lots of cooking, stirring and straining on the countertops for that kind of thing, pots on the floor get dog noses in them. Speaking of... we were at a farmers market saturday and there was a doodle dog sticking his nose in the loafs of bread when his owner wasn't looking. funny, but I didn't want to buy any bread!

No trellises to be found for a reasonable price, maybe I'll just try to make one with some sticks and string? This is for the green beans. And then I wanted one for sweet potato vines or for mini watermelons.... I also have mini pumpkins, but I'm all out of room in the beds... I may put them out front on the arbor thingy like Claire suggested...

OK Dawn, just let me know - it would be fun to see you there!

Barrie
05-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Ah, now the gelly bag makes sense! lol I love gelly, but can't even imagine making it from scratch!

Fiona, dh is going to work on the bathroom in bits and pieces - next weekend is demo a wall and drywall it, paint the vanity. Then the following weekend is paint the new wall and install the vanity & sink. Here's the one we bought today -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/10732-dropin.jpg

They have an AMAZING glass vessel sink that is going to go into my new downstairs bathroom - when that finally happens later this summer. Fingers crossed anyway!! :)

TheBlueBetween
05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
cool sink Barrie! The glass bowl sinks are awesome too.

This is the mirror I'm getting for my bathroom - it will go the long way over the double sink:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2010/27814-2298213.jpg

Barrie
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Pretty!!! We have a mirror right now that dh made the frame for and he is 'reluctant' to change it. It's just a wood frame, but he made it so I suppose sentiment will win out. I did tell him it would have to be painted. I'm hoping he'll see reason and let me either repurpose it in another room or let it go completely. Weird thing to get sentimental about! lol Maybe it's because he actually finished it! Hahahahaha (good thing he doesn't read the forum! :) )

Dawnt0721
05-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Barrie - I'm trying to flush set some 2mm sapphires. Unfortunately, my instructor will say "okay go drill holes where you want the stones" but doesn't tell me I should be careful to make the holes straight (which is kind of hard when you're working on a ring and not something I thought about). Then he shows me how to use the burr and tells me to make it deeper until the stone sets flush but doesn't warn me I could go too deep and it could be the width that's making the stone sit up high. Not to mention our setting burs go from 1.9 to 2.1 or some such so one is too small and one too big. Argh! I'll make him set the last stone tomorrow night and be done with it. Will have to buy a loupe before trying again. I think I'll go back to making some bezel settings for a while.

I'm so jealous of the bathroom reno - really wish we could do ours soon.

Pam - cool mirror!

Fiona - oh my! Did you put it together by yourself? My DH is pretty good at that kind of thing.

Watching a little tv and looking through the new Sundance catalog and then sleep. I don't know if it's a cold or allergies but something is sucking my energy. I did torch a little today. Didn't make anything worthwhile but was nice to be back at it.

Have a wonderful evening!