PDA

View Full Version : How-To Question re: scan or photograph journal?

Anne-Marie
05-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone--

I'm relatively new here, although I've lurked in and out of WC for a few years. :)

I was wondering how you all post your stuff--do you take pictures of it or do you scan it? I work in a variety of media, i.e. charcoal, soft and oil pastels, etc., and I'm afraid that if I scan it it might get messy. But then I don't know if detail would be lost with a pix. Everyone's stuff looks nice in here and so I'm sure it would be fine if I just followed y'all's lead . . .

Vivien Maloney
05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Anne-Marie; Yours is a really good question. When I began to post my Journal pages, I found it too difficult to scan pages that were already attached to a sketcbook/journal - the light would get into the scan because of the thickness of the wire-bound pages. So I came up with the idea of using a loose-leaf Journal (see The Changing Seasons Journal). I can scan pages one at a time and this suits me fine as I also like to use a variety of mediums so hence different papers etc.
If you don't want to scan individual pages the only other option is to photograph your work - this works quite well but isn't as instant as scanning.

Davkin
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
If you journals are under 9X11 scanning is the way to go. I've never been able to get a decent photograph of my artwork, but scans almost always turn out great. I'm using an Epson V500 Photo.

David

AZ Traveler
05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Anne-Marie ...
In addition, here is a WC tutorial on scanning images and closeups from the Pen & Ink forum ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129436

Hope you find it useful.
Good luck and Best wishes, ...
Delbert

AZ Traveler
05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Forgot to mention there are other similar threads on this topic. Use the search tool.

Delbert

DrDebby
05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't have a scanner so use photos. Tho' I do run them through Photoshop to resize them and adjust the contrast. It also helps that I use natural light, not a flash.

Anne-Marie
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the advice. I will check out scanning my stuff; most things are in 8-1/2" x 11" or less and so that would work for that. For the messier stuff, or for the bigger items, I'll try photographing them--

Aiylah
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I used to scan my drawings but got lazy - it's quicker for me to take a photograph and upload them, than to unpack the scanner and hook it up. (Always have my camera to hand :D) Also I started going larger scale and especially paintings wouldn't fit on the scanner. The photographs don't always turn out perfect but decent enough for showing around. Sometimes I tweak them in an image editor if they turn out too dark. I won't have a scanner from the summer anyway :P
For photographs they say it's best to take them outside and do them in daylight.

Anne-Marie
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi Aiylah--
It's true, it seems easier to take pix for me than to scan. Good point about it not needing to be perfect, just good enough to show! I also looked at the tutorial that AZ Traveller posted, and thought: wow, I actually like the picture (used to demonstate how to use the scanner) than the scan itself!

I'll try both methods an report back my findings. But I'm thinking that because much of my stuff is either messy or oversized, mayble photographing them will work better . . .

Sizun
09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Anne-Marie, a good tip to scan thick books is to cover them with a black blanket before scanning : no interfering light !

Anne-Marie
09-10-2010, 08:13 AM
ooh, that IS a great tip! And one I've never thought of before! Thank you!

robertsloan2
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I usually scan mine, only rarely photograph it. That's only if there's no other way because it's too large or it wouldn't show up in a scan. I've gotten better and better at adjusting the scanned images to bring back vanished light values - though having to draw in a scannable way taught me to push my darks, use more dramatic colors and values.

Anne-Marie
09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I usually scan mine, only rarely photograph it. That's only if there's no other way because it's too large or it wouldn't show up in a scan. I've gotten better and better at adjusting the scanned images to bring back vanished light values - though having to draw in a scannable way taught me to push my darks, use more dramatic colors and values.

I like the idea of pushing darks--I was just looking at how-to books today on drawing, and I asked myself: what is the difference between the third sketch in a serious (i.e. 3rd draft) and the final 6th or 7th? Because mine, at best, are comparable to the author's third. And I realized: he pushes the value. I know this, I see this, and yet, for some reason, when I'm drawing, I still find it hard to push the value as far as it needs to go.

Robert, how have you gotten better at adjusting the scanning images? That interests me. I guess I didn't know that you could do that or how to do that. Do you put it into Photoshop and tweak it there? Or do you adjust the scan process?