PDA

View Full Version : Learning Watercolours

Aiylah
05-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Inspired by this forum, I have decided to start (yet another) sketchbook, and post it on this board. This one is going to be of watercolours, and I hope to learn how to use them efficiently during the process. Later on I may include watercolour pencils, and perhaps ink.

The first page is just of colour, trying wet-on-wet mixtures and a couple of overlays. The next couple of pages have reffed sketches and some more colouring.

C&C welcome of course, thanks for looking :wave:

purpalia
05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Wow Aiylah, those first pages are beautiful!
I really like the duck and the minuature landscape on the top left of the page.

Please post more!:thumbsup:

suruchi
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Really a great start!
Dena

DrDebby
05-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Great start. The landscapes are wonderful.

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Aiylah, wow! Your color tests page looks like a cheerful abstract, all those flying swatches with interesting forms and cheery colors. I smiled at the sight of it, what a beautiful start. I do those all the time, whenever I get new paints or whenever I get new ideas for colors and combinations. So that brought up a thousand happy memories and is a perfect example of a joyous thing.

Then I saw your mallard. Sweet! Love the bright head and soft brown patterns, nice proportions, great duck. Well done.

Then your forest scenes took my breath away. These are incredible. Each page builds on the last and I know this is going to be one of my favorite journals. You're new to watercolor but not to art. Excellent paintings. Keep going!

The cool thing about watercolor is how portable it is, you can go anywhere with that if you use a small folding palette or a travel box with pans. Your choice of subjects leaves me thinking you'll take advantage of that soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do plein air!

hydgirl
05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Aiylah - Your landscapes are very good.

Aiylah
05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Thankyou all for your kind comments!

robertsloan2, thanks very much :) Yes, though I have had watercolours lying around for a couple of years now, I never really got into them. I tried them, but used them more like I would use acrylics and rarely got any decent results. Then I attended an art workshop recently and the teacher gave me a couple of tips (the wet-in-wet and the overlaying). Now, a couple of months later, I have decided to take it up properly, as it's a lovely medium!

The weather is picking up here, I hope I can find some nice place to go and paint.. a "secret" place.. I'm a bit shy about painting in public :o

I've seen people in this forum post their materials, so I thought I'd show mine too. Beware, I'm a messy painter with bad habits :D
The first are my two watercolour boxes, I mainly use the small pocket one (Cotman, I believe). The larger one is Pelikan. The second is my journal, a simple watercolour pad which was cheap. Good enough for a start :)

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the photos of your supplies! I recognized both of your sets. That little Cotman set is excellent. I like the way you rearranged the colors in it too, very cool. Looks like you use the Pelikan more for large paintings, the pans in it are worn down just as much ... unless the way I did, you've been replacing pans in the handy little Cotman set.

Looks like a good watercolor pad, 24 sheets is generous. They're a good choice for journaling because the sheets are usually the full 140lb weight instead of the thinner 90lb weight that comes up in journals -- you can do more with heavy washes and wet in wet stuff on heavier paper.

Good luck on finding solitude for painting. Your paintings are lovely enough you probably wouldn't get rude comments if you did paint with people around. But if they make you nervous, then put your painting first and hunt around for that special spot. Or put up a sign that says "Yes, I'm an artist. Don't talk to me, I'm concentrating."

Davkin
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
This is a very nice start, as I'm just getting into watercolor I'll watch your progress very closely, you're way ahead of me already. :)

David

jacquip
05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Aiylah these are great. I remember when I first started with watercolour I attended a short course and got into doing all those colour swatches. I have pages of them now, but have kept them and refer back to them often. Then when I get a new colour I add to it. So invaluable, and fun in a strange sort of way. :)

I love the duck, but those scenes are stunning. Amazing work. You have a great feel for watercolour. Really nice to see your materials. I have never had a pan set but am interested in getting one some day. Would be so handy to use out and about. I have only used watercolour pencils for that.

I will be subscribing to this thread and keenly watching for more great works.

Anne-Marie
05-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi--

I liked the duck; the colors are delicate and interesting. I loved seeing the pictures of your supplies--that is so interesting to me, to see the way other people work! I'm wondering if it would be helpful to you to note what colors you used on the first page, or when you do color studies? Or is it obvious to you what you used? I always forget, so I make a little note. It's helpful and also, in a sketchbook, there's something I just really like about such notations. It almost becomes part of the art.

AZ Traveler
05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Aiylah, looking forward to your watercolor and journal progress.

Best wishes, ...
Delbert

eyepaint
05-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Great idea! Great start. Love the head of that mallard duck. Such a jaunty fellow :)

Dougwas
05-24-2010, 02:17 AM
You are off to a great start. This is a very good idea how to learn a new medium. I am new to wc too, but I am having fun learning. I look forward to seeing more of your art work.

Doug

Aiylah
05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Thank you all :clap:

robertsloan2, I haven't replaced any of the pots yet. I got the Pelikan set quite some time before the Cotman set though, and they are good for larger paintings - more space for larger brushes!
Yes, I might just start painting in the garden or something, then move on to more public places :lol:

jacquip, yes, the little set is perfect for around and about - also for taking on holiday, where my acrylics would take up too much space in my suitcase :D

Anne-Marie, I can remember the colours of one set, but now since I might be using a mix of two, so I started off today by making a colour table. If I use both sets in one painting then I can make little colour tables next to them as to remember what colours I used.

So, today's pages - a colour sheet, and a couple of sketches from photos.. I think my paintings will go up and down during this journal depending on how much practice I've had with the subjects (also from other mediums).. I had trouble on the seascape with making the white of the waves stand out, I'm not sure whether it's best to paint around the white "spaces", or paint the whole thing and use tissue etc. to lift off some of the paint when it's still wet? (Seen this technique for clouds). The butterfly turned out a little "muddy". :p

RainySea
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Very lovely beginning on this sketch, I especially love the duck. I just tried my hand a duck this weekend (using wc pencil and sketching pencil though), and I love the colors in your duck. . . so vibrant.

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Color swatches are a great tool. Thanks for sharing a picture of your supplies. I can't answer your question about the white foam on the water because I'm not practiced at watercolor. I think it looks fine as a beach scene. And, not all butterflies are brightly colored. So, I'm saying it looks just fine. :)

Vivien Maloney
05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
You are doing brilliantly with your Watercolours! I've used watercolours for approx 20years and they are my favourite medium. Every so often I break out and try another medium, but the fascination of Watercolours pulls me back to it, after a while. Your question about the foam on the surf - you can do both (blot and leave the white of the paper). There is nothing as white as the white of the paper so it's probably better to leave it white and then if you need to, you can paint carefully into it for shadows etc.
You are doing slendidly so keep at it!

prismalos
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Yay, another watercolor journal! Love those foliages. Yup, that's W&N Cotman alright! :)

Aiylah
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Viven, thanks for the advice, I shall try some experimenting with blotting and leaving spaces white and see what works best.

Haven't done much the last couple of days - but I dug up an old painting and drawing handbook which has a chapter on watercolours, and did a couple of exercises from there.

prismalos
05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Nice tree season variations! Love the loose style.

DrDebby
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Good practice stuff. I love seeing this in sketchbooks. It reminds me that this is part of learning about art.

Whisperwood
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Alylah, beautiful watercolor sketches, just love the one of the little sail boat and beach! Reminds me of my home's beaches which I miss so... I love your delicate style. Looking forward to seeing more :-)

Aiylah
05-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Whisperwood.. aw, me too, I used to live on the coast, and now we're an eight hour drive from the sea! I've been missing the sea for so long now, but I'll be moving back to England soon, though not to the coast, but at least closer than I am now :D Thanks!

DrDebby, yes, I have another sketchbook for drawing studies like these so I figured, why not the same for painting :D

Prismalos, thanks too, I'm finding watercolours great for such a style!

Today I did a couple more exercises from the book, though I used my own colour mixes since I didn't have all the ones mentioned. Also tried cloudy skies using the blotting (top left) and the white space (top right) method.

I have also dug up a couple of old Beatrix Potter books that I had when I was little, I believe the illustrations were done in watercolour.. they're so lovely.. I was considering doing a few studies from them but am unsure whether to post them here because of copyright. Exercises from drawing books, and my own ref photos (or from the ref lib) are one thing, but these book illustrations.. I'm not sure :p

Dougwas
05-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I like the blotted sky best, because it has a softer look to it. Looks more like fluffy clouds. You did a great job on the trees and facial features. Keep at it.

Doug

DrDebby
05-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Beautiful studies. The sky ones are really interesting.

As far as illustrations from books and such, as long as you make it clear in your post that these are for practice, in your sketchbook, and note where the original came from, it would be no different than copying the "Masters" to learn. You could not sell them, but for learning, it should be fine.

Whisperwood
05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree, I like the blotted clouds also for the same reason Doug mentioned. What did you blot it with? Paper towel, tissues, sponge?

RainySea
05-27-2010, 11:06 PM
that is wonderful how you are doing these small drawings in wc of various things like portrait, landscape, etc. I should do that now that I have my little watercolor box. All of yours are turning out wonderfully.

sparkling
05-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Aiylah, you are doing great already. :thumbsup:

Watercolors are very difficult to learn (in my opinion at least :wink2:), but I can already tell from the first two sketches, that you are going to master it, if you continue like that.

Just a side note, as I don't know if you are aware of the differences: the Pelikan set is not (transparent) watercolor, but it is gouache. This can make quite a huge difference depending on the style you want to learn to paint.
Both watercolor and gouache paints have their pros and cons and their own fandom (most people prefer watercolors, I for instance prefer to paint with
gouaches :D).
If you want your paintings to get that glow and radiance most watercolorists aim for, better leave out the gouache paints at all as well as the chinese whites and stick to the most transparent pigments only. However, if you like to be able to correct your paintings and want to be able to paint light upon dark and such, go for the gouaches, but apply them heavier, thicker not just like a wash :thumbsup:

Aiylah
06-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Dougwas, thanks, I think I prefer the blotted clouds too. I also had an idea to combine the two techniques - leave a white space for the cloud and blot the edges to get tha fluffy look. Will look into it. :clap:

DrDebby, yes, I suppose it won't be much different than master studies. Thanks :)

Whisperwood, for blotting I use simple kitchen paper :D

RainySea, thanks.. yeh, little drawings and studies can help to put together larger compositions in the future :D

sparkling, thanks very much for that info! I didn't know that.. I didn't know what gouache colours were at all, really, just saw them in pots in the art store. I have noticed the Cotman colours lose a bit of their "glow" when the white is added. I'll have to play around with both of them more to find out the differences :D At the moment I have used mainly the Cotman, just today I used Pelikan for the black colour.

So, here are a couple of new pages.. some dragons inspired by Prismalos' journal :D, and some random objects. I've gotten rusty on dragons, haven't drawn any in a couple of years.. I should start doing pre-sketches in pencil for better results :D
The third page was inspired by an article I read about art and colourblindness, there was a colour wheel as seen by someone who can't see the colours red and green. There were only yellow and blue tones, with grey inbetween. I started wondering what it's like to see the world in just those colours, so I want to try and do paintings using just blue, yellow and grey tones. Could be hard, but fun to experiment :D

prismalos
06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Those faint facial features looks realistic! I love the dragons, especially the one on top! Are those six legs? Great idea! Thanks!

I think I developed the habit of requesting subjects on an artist's journals :lol:

Maybe I should host a WDE of dragons, so I can see everyone draw a dragon with their own styles! :D

robertsloan2
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Catching up again... like the butterfly and love the surf on the bottom of Page 1 with your swatches. Beautiful water and sand. Nice trees, river, sky and hills on that page with the color tests and the hill with a flag on it. Gorgeous tree, stump and branch studies.

Good skin tone swatches, good eyelids without an eye, great realistic eye. I like your cloud studies too, they're very three dimensional and the shadowed one is fun. The sun at sunset, sinking with darker orangy yellows around it is beautiful, that one's striking.

Fun dragons, still life objects. It's intriguing to use that blue and yellow palette, it looks good and yet I could imagine missing red and green a lot. Cool that you experimented with how life looks to color blindness. Well done!

Keep going, sorry for missing so many -- it's a little hard to keep up everything in the forum.

sparkling
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Aiylah, that red dragon is so cute. ^_^ (Is it pc to call a dragon cute, by the way? *wondering*)

Raymond, your idea isn't that bad after all. Maybe we need a weekly drawing event here in the Art Journal subforum, too. :D

Aiylah
06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Thankyou all :D

prismalos, they are actually just four legs.. but I see now why you thought they were six.. the one on the far left is on the other side of his body, so his torso is turned slightly towards the viewer, though his head is completely in profile. So I can understand why it looks like six. Cute idea though :D
A WDE of dragons would be interesting :D

robertsloan, thanks for your lovely comments. I'll be attempting a referenced painting from a photograph using the limited palette of blue, yellow and grey tones to see how it turns out. I think they'll look strange too, missing the red tones in particular.
No worries about keeping up, I'm a bit of a sporadic poster myself, and it is hard to keep up with all the lovely journals here :D

sparkling, yes I think a lot of my dragons turn out cute, even when I used to try drawing ferocious ones they were cute too. xD

Today, a quick reffed sketch of a house surrounded by trees, and two sketches of some English countryside and a sheep, all from photos I have.

Whisperwood
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Love them!

DrDebby
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I'll second the cute dragons.

Interesting on the color blind palette. My son is color blind. If things weren't distinctly yellow or blue, he'd label it red. :lol: He certainly could not tell secondary colors.

The house and countryside are wonderful.

Aiylah
06-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks both :)

DrDebby, does your son do any art then?

I also once read that dogs can't see the colour red, back then I often wondered what the world looks like without red :D

Here are a couple of animals from photos I took at the zoo last Friday, a landscape semi-reffed with modifications from imagination, and some random colour blodges, a couple of which I turned into flowers.

JTMB
06-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Very nice journal, Aiylah! Good job on the animals.

DrDebby
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
The animals are great. Your landscape and flowers are cool.

My son draws with graphite or ink, no color. He also writes poetry. His primary creative outlet and passion is cooking, he became a chef. While he was in culinary academy I asked how he could tell the colors of things like sauces or peppers. His response was that he couldn't unless they were labeled. When the professors would question his odd choices he'd reply, "I was being artistic." Inevitably, they would give him high marks. :lol:

Aiylah
06-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks both for your comments. I'm glad your son is able to achieve his dream with the colourblindness, DrDebby. I never thought about colours in cooking, I guess "normal" sighted people take these things for granted :)

Well, long time no update, due to a few reasons. When I finally broke out the paints again, I went for my acrylics. But today I picked up the watercolours again. Sat outside in the garden and painted one of our trees. Whilst I was waiting for parts of it to dry, to continue on, I painted a sky scene loosely based on last night's sunset.

And now I have the task of catching up on everyone elses' works! :D May take some time though, not wanting to browse forums for long due to headaches.

prismalos
06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Oh! I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of your dragon! It's amazing how perspective changes from every person :lol: But indeed, it's a great idea to put in too.

Could you apply some of the techniques you know from acrylics? As always, love the style, thanks for sharing :)

Jakesgram
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Aiylah, I am so late commenting on your wonderful watercolor journal. I really love seeing the progress you have already made. Watercolor is not such an easy medium, but you are doing beautifully. For me, the hardest parts were gaining a sense of how much water - in the brush, on the paper, mixed with the paint, and also getting my darks dark enough. Watercolor paint always dries lighter than what it looks like while it is wet. It also takes a while to get a feel for when to use transparent and when to use opaque colors. At least while you are learning, you are wise to use watercolors only or goache only.

Your work is all lovely, but some of my favorites are:

The house surrounded by trees
All of your beach scenes
The sunset

All of these show off the lovely properties of watercolor, and your color choices are wonderful.

I'll keep watching for more. :thumbsup:

Jean

eyepaint
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I like the scene on the right in your most recent post.

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Beautiful paintings. Glad you are getting your brushes wet again. Feel better from that headache.

jacquip
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
These are all looking so good. Great monkey sketch, you are really coming along well. Hard to believe you are new to watercolour. Love your last page too, great depth with the foliage and awesome sunset scene. Hope your headaches have improved and you have at least been able to do some painting.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Aiylah, great sketches. I like the colour blind palette ones, they're very effective. I remember reading somewhere that cats can see from red on through green but not blue, so that'd be interesting too. Might have to check that out on Wikipedia or something, what their color range is.

Good sketch of the sheep as well as the landscapes. Like your color blodges that turned into flowers and the seascape next to them, that seascape's lovely. Cool little sunset and tree study, well done. Keep going!

Aiylah
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
@prismalos, haha, don't worry about the dragon, I didn't paint him very clearly really :D I'm actually not sure how much of the acrylic techniques can be used for watercolours. One thing I do tend to do, though, is mix the paint on the paper instead of on the palette, something I do a lot in acrylics. This doesn't always work out so well in watercolours though (unless you know right away what colours to mix, like wet-in-wet techniques.) In acrylics I tend to "experiment" with colours on the canvas to get the right shade and can correct many colour-malheurs!

@Jakesgram, thanks for stopping by and the comments :D Yes, I was away from here for a few weeks and so my journal got buried amongst the others :lol:

@eyepaint, thanks!

@DrDebby, thanks too, yes I'm glad to be painting again :D

@jacquip, thankyou, I suppose it's easier to come to watercolour painting from another painting style, rather than jump right into cold water without any painting experience :D

@robertsloan, that's interesting, I looked up on cats' vision, it appears they can't distinguish red either, like dogs. I wonder what it is with red that it seems to be a common colour "missing" in these limited visions.
And thanks :wave:

Well today I have less of a headache though I feel it lurking. I decided to get out my watercolour pencils. I have two sets, so I did two swatches to try them. I like the Faber-Castell ones better, they seem to be softer and more soluable. Now to find out how to use them efficiently in paintings :D

mhimeswc
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Did you want to use the w/c pencils as accents on a watercolor painting, or to use them as a medium itself. Cathy Johnson has a DVD about painting with w/c pencils, and I think a book also. You can Google her or look her up on Amazon.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Good color charts on your watercolor pencils. I love the medium, it's fast and powerful. Looking forward to what you do with these.

It does make a difference which brand you use. I'd say stick to the softer, more soluble ones. My favorites are the new formula Derwent watercolour pencils, they made them much more soft and soluble than they used to be.

DrDebby
07-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Great test swatches of your water color pencils. I second Cathy Johnson as a source of information on how to use these. I found a used copy of her book. Good information in it.

vhere
07-02-2010, 07:32 AM
nice start :)

I do the foam on waves with a mix of leaving white space and using candles or white oil pastel as a resist (I don't like the hard edges that resist gives so don't use it myself but that is another option) I showed in one of my threads here how I use it but don't ask me which one!

jacquip
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice colour swatches. I really like the Faber Castell ones too, for the same reason. The pencils are great for getting a variety of textures by blending some parts and added more highlights later. Good to play with.

Aiylah
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
mhimeswc, I think I'd like to use them to accentuate (is that a word? :lol: ) watercolours, as an addition so to speak. I experimented with that today.

robertsloan, yes, I am sticking to Faber Castell rather than the Eberhard Faber ones, for now. When I can afford more (and better) materials I shall look into the Derwent range :)

DrDebby, thanks. Taken note of Cathy Johnson but am yet reluctant to buy books or dvds - I haven't really followed books in the past, just copied an odd picture here or there. Mostly I learn by doing :D But I'll see.

vhere, I read somewhere about using wax etc. along with watercolours. I shall have to dig and find that thread of yours :D

jacquip, thanks. Yes, the pencils are great :)

So, today I tried using the watercolour pencils with watercolours. Did the painting first and added accents with the pencils. Mostly I dipped the pencil into the water first (hope this won't ruin them :lol: ). Landscapes from imagination, I re-used the first one to make the larger one with the horse. I aimed for a more loose style (also tries to hide the fact I can't draw horses or riders very well :lol:) Plus some flowers, and an apple and Fruity the Dinosaur with a Pitt drawing pen as outline.

Fruity has a bit of a background.. I created him back in primary school sometime, maybe when I was seven. We had to write stories in school then, and I wrote one about a dinosaur named Fruity. Recently I found the stories on an old floppy disk and decided to create some illustrations for Fruity. I can't remember which colours I decided on but this is roughly what he looks like :)

Also sellotaped the kitchen paper I was using for painting into my journal. Random "work of art" :lol:

DrDebby
07-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Fruity the dinosaur is sooo cute! Love him. No, it won't hurt to dip the tip of the water color pencil in water. It's actually a technique you can use. All your experiments are great. And the only way to get better at drawing a horse and rider is to continue to draw them. However, they fit the scene as you have painted it, just how they are.

Vivien Maloney
07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Fruity is so cute and good that you've resurrected him again! I also like your rider and horse sketch, I can see the wind blowing in her hair.

robertsloan2
07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Well done! Fruity the dinosaur is cute. I can see you've had a lot of practice drawing him, he looks polished and refined. Great character. The apple looks good too, I like how you shaded it from the warm side to the cool green side.

The landscape with the rider is a good one. You're not far off with the pose, it's a good active pose. A photo reference would help for the details of the shape of the horse's hind legs from behind, but the way you've got the horse's head turned and the way the rider's proportioned are just right.

Your other landscape's good too, very soft and lyrical.

Dipping the point and drawing with it wet is a good technique. It gives a strong, slightly soft line. There are a lot of interesting things you can do with watercolor pencils, that's one and so is touching a wet brush to the point to pick up color as if it's a watercolor pan.

Drawing with the pencil dry and washing over it is one that I use often, that's a lot of fun and it usually comes out stronger after the wash.

Aiylah
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Thankyou DrDebby, Vivien and robertsloan!

Here are a couple of surreal-ish landscapes from imagination, and a reffed one of somewhere along the Jurassic Coast (England).

DrDebby
07-16-2010, 08:51 PM
I like the "trees" in your second one. The last one feels like a moody day at the shore. Tho' that may be because your photos came out a little dark and I may be mistaken.

mhimeswc
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I like your landscape with the horse and rider. It looks very dream-like.

christinemlr
07-17-2010, 05:41 AM
I've just got to looking at this watercolour thread and its great to see your enthusiasm for the media and your enjoyment of learning with it, but even better is to see how your developing and using it to fit your artistic imagination. I love your wierd surrealish landscapes, the delicate colour of watercolur washes works really well for them. Same for the horse rider, I like that one too.
Xina

robertsloan2
07-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Aiylah, I like your surreal landscapes. They're lively, colorful and whimsical. The referenced one of the Jurassic Coast is gorgeous! Is that from an RIL photo? If it is, could you link to it? The way you did the surf and the rocks is gorgeous. It looks as if you're right at the edge of the cliff overlooking the scene, beautiful.

Aiylah
07-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks everyone :)

robertsloan, yes, it's from a photo I took myself when I was in England last summer, here it is:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/Aiylah/Cliffs/img_9016.jpg

I made the painting a bit brighter, blue sky instead of grey for example.

DrDebby, the photo of the painting turned out a bit darker than it really is due to the lighting I had when I took it. So the painting isn't quite as moody as the photo I reffed it from :lol:

Aiylah
10-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's a little sketch I did today from a photo I took in London. Long time no post! :wave:

DrDebby
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
The lamp post detail is wonderful.

Loxley
10-23-2010, 05:49 PM
went to your website, these Oct. sketch book didnt come up in here for me, anyhow, your website is beautiful, full of wonderful works of art, and I love your technique and color!:angel:

virgo68
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Cool - I like the way you handled the buildings in the distance - reminds me of Sherlock Holmes and misty mysterious London!

robertsloan2
10-26-2010, 01:15 AM
I love that London painting. So elegant. Glorious lamp post and the way you balance it with the tower is beautiful. It has so much depth and you really show the fog with that atmospheric recession, all those distant undetailed buildings spiking up. Perfect painting to say "London" at a glance!

Vivien Maloney
10-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I checked out your link. I love the tiger and stonehenge.
Your sketch of London says it all in two simple sketches, great job!

Aiylah
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
DrDebby, thanks! :wave:
Loxley, thankyou for checking out my website, I'm glad you like them :)
virgo, haha yeh, now that you mention it! I suppose it does! Thanks :D
Robertsloan, thankyou for your comment, I find watercolour quite nice for such an atmosphere!
Vivien, thankyou also for your feedback and also for checking out my website. Stonehenge has gotten a few good comments from people who have seen it, it's one of my favourites to date :)

Here is another one from a London photo, I tried a sunset-ish picture. The photo is a bit orangey due to the lighting. Haven't been doing much in my sketchbook but I did buy some watercolour postcards and have done a couple there. Not sure whether to post them though since they aren't in my sketchbook. Maybe I'll stick them on my blog.

JTMB
11-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I like both the London scene and the most recent sunset. You've achieved a mood in each one. Hope to see more!

RainySea
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
really cool London sketch! Nice

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Lovely sunset. I like the sky and the water with the land in shadow. Very cool.