PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook - the draftsman's security blanket ?

kevinwueste
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I draw almost exclusively in ball point pen because it doesn't smear and I can see all my numerous, hideous mistakes.. there are many.. I draw often on airplanes since when I am somewhere, I am usually drawing or painting from the live model.. thanks for taking a look !

Note these are in, mostly, reverse order from most recent page (YESTERDAY) going back..

kevinwueste
05-19-2010, 10:23 PM
more whatnot.. all freehand.. period..

kevinwueste
05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
a few more whatnot (part II ) a.. rockwell copy ( love him) some drawings from life.. fechin copies, Tony Ryder copies.. from Loomis ( of course) and Bridgman's students sketches book..

DrDebby
05-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Marvelous figure studies. I'm in awe. No, really, I am. My figures still look like cartoons. These are fantastic.

tcws108
05-19-2010, 11:38 PM
What type of paper/book?:wave:

eyepaint
05-19-2010, 11:54 PM
These are stunning!! (I have so far to go .....)

robertsloan2
05-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Kevin, these are incredible. I love the figure studies and so many faces with so much expression. The hand studies. The eyes. The figure studies. Every pose is so lively and fascinating. Some of them fade off unfinished in a delightful way, others are complete all the way down... you have an enviable sketchbook!

You've left me a little embarrassed about my All-Media Book, maybe I need to get out Jack Hamm, Loomis and Civardi and start doing some copying too. I wondered if you were doing all those figure studies from memory and imagination till you mentioned Loomis and the others. They rock. They all rock. You're ahead of me by just enough to inspire me to try again! Time to attack the All-Media Book with something figurative again...

Your mistakes are subtle, too subtle for me to spot most of them. Your skulls are so atmospheric that the distortions on them look more like natural deformity than artistic mistakes. They're solid, they're rounded, I'm more than aware that not everyone in the world has proper, symmetrical and standard shaped bones.

The hand gestures are fantastic. Just... everything is in this. Please do keep on with these, every time I see new ones it'll stir me up to unfold my manikin or skim through photo references and figure drawing books!

kevinwueste
05-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Kevin, these are incredible. I love the figure studies and so many faces with so much expression. The hand studies. The eyes. The figure studies. Every pose is so lively and fascinating. Some of them fade off unfinished in a delightful way, others are complete all the way down... you have an enviable sketchbook!

You've left me a little embarrassed about my All-Media Book, maybe I need to get out Jack Hamm, Loomis and Civardi and start doing some copying too. I wondered if you were doing all those figure studies from memory and imagination till you mentioned Loomis and the others. They rock. They all rock. You're ahead of me by just enough to inspire me to try again! Time to attack the All-Media Book with something figurative again...

Your mistakes are subtle, too subtle for me to spot most of them. Your skulls are so atmospheric that the distortions on them look more like natural deformity than artistic mistakes. They're solid, they're rounded, I'm more than aware that not everyone in the world has proper, symmetrical and standard shaped bones.

The hand gestures are fantastic. Just... everything is in this. Please do keep on with these, every time I see new ones it'll stir me up to unfold my manikin or skim through photo references and figure drawing books!
Hi Robert - thank you for looking through these pages and the kind thoughts. I mostly work from life/live models so my sketchbook is a chance to think through ideas, do copies and practice. The skulls are actually a 3-4 year old child and a newborn skull so they will appear quite distorted relative to an adult skull. They are probably some of the most carefully drawn here ( though still imperfect - by nature everything is full of errors - big/small/extra-medium.. ).. they were a challenge to get the forms to turn a bit and to study the light - which is mostly what I try to draw: the light!

These are stunning!! (I have so far to go .....) -

thanks for looking - far to go ? I do as well! !!

What type of paper/book?:wave:
TCWS108, I have many sketchbooks but this one is a Utrecht WB Sketch #541-68U .. It's a about 12 x 9.. paper is not wonderful but it works for me!

Marvelous figure studies. I'm in awe. No, really, I am. My figures still look like cartoons. These are fantastic.
Thank you Dr Debby, I am of the impression to draw the figure well, be prepared to draw about 10,000 of them - always working to improve.. same with anything in this art deal.. I think I'm about 2,000 drawings in.. give or take..

JTMB
05-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Fantastic, Kevin! I'm still in the first couple hundred figure drawings, and got a pretty late start in life. But hey...with the kind of work you do as an incentive to keep at it, I'm going to keep at it. These are just outstanding.

Yorky
05-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Super sketches Kevin. There something freeing about using a ball pen. I like it too.

Doug

purpalia
05-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Wonderful sketches! Thank you for sharing :)

robertsloan2
05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Kevin, wow! Now those skulls make perfect sense. They're even more eerie. You're right, they have different proportions and I can see which one is the older child. Gorgeous skull renderings. I still don't see where you have mistakes, but I'll take your word for it that you can see some.

ReggieS
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
These are really good, you've got your anatomy down well! I love your skulls! Have you ever been to the Mutter Museum in Philly? You would love it!

Reggie

sparkling
05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh wow, these are amazing. Absolutely stunning :clap:

kevinwueste
05-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Fantastic, Kevin! I'm still in the first couple hundred figure drawings, and got a pretty late start in life. But hey...with the kind of work you do as an incentive to keep at it, I'm going to keep at it. These are just outstanding.

Hi John - me to ( went back to school to study art at 42 ( that was just about 3 years ago).. you can do it!

kevinwueste
05-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Super sketches Kevin. There something freeing about using a ball pen. I like it too.

Doug

Hey Doug ! - thank you for taking a look! totally agree re: ballpoint pen! cheers - Kevin

kevinwueste
05-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Wonderful sketches! Thank you for sharing :)

Thank you Sandra for taking a look!

Kevin, wow! Now those skulls make perfect sense. They're even more eerie. You're right, they have different proportions and I can see which one is the older child. Gorgeous skull renderings. I still don't see where you have mistakes, but I'll take your word for it that you can see some.

Thanks again Robert! well I don't want to point them all out but, alas, mistakes reign!!

These are really good, you've got your anatomy down well! I love your skulls! Have you ever been to the Mutter Museum in Philly? You would love it!

Reggie

REggie - thank you I have not - maybe I'll put it on the list next time I am back near home !

Oh wow, these are amazing. Absolutely stunning :clap:

thank you sparkling!!!

jem1023
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you!

Vivien Maloney
05-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Awesome sketches Kevin! All the more so as they're in Ball-point Pen. I've tried that - and would not post my results here.

JudiPatooti
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
FABULOUS!!! What a gem your sketchbook is!

Davkin
05-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Wow! I can't really add anything substantive to what's already been said. All I can say is you have drawing skills that most of us just hope to aspire to!

David

vhere
05-22-2010, 05:55 AM
excellent drawings

and good to read you mainly draw from life - it's why these where you work from secondary sources are so good - you have a real understanding of 3D. light and form :)

kevinwueste
05-22-2010, 10:55 AM
excellent drawings

and good to read you mainly draw from life - it's why these where you work from secondary sources are so good - you have a real understanding of 3D. light and form :)

Thank you Vivien, anything pretty much serious is from life - and while at first it is quite a load more difficult than working from photos, it really pays off in one's understanding of getting dimensionality on paper/canvas. Also, I think when you draw or paint from life, you are working to paint or draw the light, and shadow, vs working on a contour and values in a photographic reference. The distinction gets more clear the more I do it.

Wow! I can't really add anything substantive to what's already been said. All I can say is you have drawing skills that most of us just hope to aspire to!

David

practice practice practice and you will! (thank you for your note David!)

FABULOUS!!! What a gem your sketchbook is!

hah - gem ? it is a beaten book from all the travel miles in my backpack ! but thank you!

Awesome sketches Kevin! All the more so as they're in Ball-point Pen. I've tried that - and would not post my results here.

Vivien, thank you - it is a good practice tool ( ball point).. I still have much to figure out myself.. practice is key!

Jem1023 - thank you!

vhere
05-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I totally agree with those thoughts

suruchi
05-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Kevin, fabulous sketches! Like Robert, I'm in awe! Makes me want to dive into my sketch book and not look up. Many of us came to art later in life. I'm so glad I am one of those folks!
Dena

robertsloan2
05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I might have to find and dig out a ballpoint pen sometime, just to see what I can do with it. The conversation in this thread is great too. Inspiring... I meant to do some figure studies again but got sidetracked by reef scenes and scavenger hunts and exercises... should get back to that idea since I've gotten my source books out...

vhere
05-23-2010, 05:15 AM
I like my Parker biro to draw with - with a fine refill. It doesn't blob and blot like cheapie ones.

aderfla
05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
wow, your sketchbook is fabulous. I really enjoyed exploring your drawing.

kevinwueste
05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Thank you everyone for checking some of these doodles and studies out.. A few more for the mill.. graphite and pen depending.. all from live models on this post..

Davkin
05-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Wow! More great stuff. This is the kind of sketching I really admire. I have yet to tackle the human figure so you're like a magician to me. :lol: I will give it a go at some point though, sketches like yours are quite inspiring.

David

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Stunning. I'm in awe.

mhimeswc
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow - your faces and figures are absolutely awesome!

prismalos
05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Incredible sketches, Kevin! Very realistic figures and poses. Keep going! Thanks for sharing. :)

kevinwueste
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow! More great stuff. This is the kind of sketching I really admire. I have yet to tackle the human figure so you're like a magician to me. :lol: I will give it a go at some point though, sketches like yours are quite inspiring.

David

DAvid - you can do it - it just takes LOTs of practice! ( and I still have a long way to go - believe me!)..

kevinwueste
05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Dr Debby - thank you for saying such a thing!

MIchele - thank you - I try !!

Raymond - thanks much .. working hard at it all!!!

vhere
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
excellent, there is a real solidity and three dimensionality to these

WC Lee
06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
awesome sketches :thumbsup: your pen sketches makes me have second thoughts about starting my thread

kevinwueste
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Above all ballpoint pen - mostly from airplane flights - fetchin and henry yan copies and some model ( amazing structure) from Vanity Fair I think..

more fetchin, kids from the kid heads book I have.. hand ?

below - from life Marissa on my small pad.. charcoal pencil.. about 15 mins..

Thanks everyone for your kind words - WC - your work has tons of life - so no crazy talk!

vhere - thank you !! :clap:

DrDebby
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
The detail on that hand is fabulous. More wonderful sketches.

mhimeswc
06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh, my! That hand is just amazing!

robertsloan2
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
These latest are so fantastic. So much depth and solidity, so much character and motion. They breathe on the page. Thank you. Every time I see one of yours I get inspired to try again.

timwootton
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Amazing work - thoroughly amazing.

timwootton
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Just been to your blog too - absolutely superb.

WC Lee
06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
wonderful sketches :) the details on the hand is superb ..

kevinwueste
06-04-2010, 02:30 AM
lots of these pages I have pulled out of SB's and saved.. some were hours of nuttiness .. some were studies for paintings.. some I just have no excuse!

Thank you for such nice thoughts - I love doing this stuff even when I am not sorting it out!

Below from some Polish photography magazine.. "Gup!" I think.. and some expressions I wanted to try ( yelling ?)

Below a J. S. Sargent copy and my good Friend Kam and her new glasses!

Below Justice STevens and Miles DAvis' first wife Betty - a great singer and great hair!

Jack on the set of the shining - love that up-light! Some weight-lifter guy..

Ok that's pen below - a study for a still life painting..Tivo, laptop, TV ( Tony - keeping an eye on Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo ?), Safeway shopping bag and a Rockwell book open ( always!)..

Davkin
06-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Wow! I'm just speechless.

DrDebby
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh WOW. These are so good.

vhere
06-05-2010, 04:09 AM
excellent :)

kevinwueste
06-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Wow! I'm just speechless.

Well I hope not! - but thank you anyway for saying!!

Oh WOW. These are so good.

Cheers to you Doc!

Thank you vhere ( how does one pronounce that ??!!) :clap:

vhere
06-07-2010, 02:05 AM
:D it was just short for vivien here! wc wouldn't let me use my name when I registered or anything else I thought up - and I was tired at the time and just put that in.

robertsloan2
06-07-2010, 07:58 AM
lots of these pages I have pulled out of SB's and saved.. some were hours of nuttiness .. some were studies for paintings.. some I just have no excuse!

Thank you for such nice thoughts - I love doing this stuff even when I am not sorting it out!

Below from some Polish photography magazine.. "Gup!" I think.. and some expressions I wanted to try ( yelling ?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2010/164138-Slide5.JPG

Below a J. S. Sargent copy and my good Friend Kam and her new glasses!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2010/164138-Slide6.JPG

Below Justice STevens and Miles DAvis' first wife Betty - a great singer and great hair!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2010/164138-Slide4.JPG

Jack on the set of the shining - love that up-light! Some weight-lifter guy..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2010/164138-Slide3.JPG

Ok that's pen below - a study for a still life painting..Tivo, laptop, TV ( Tony - keeping an eye on Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo ?), Safeway shopping bag and a Rockwell book open ( always!)..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2010/164138-Slide2.JPG

These are amazing. Thanks for sharing a page done in pen. It's awesome. The angry women are spectacular, their expressions so real, the nursing mother is great too. Every one of these is so powerful. Well done!

Jakesgram
07-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Kevin, I can only echo what everyone else has said: Your work is AMAZING! But I'm sure you have worked very hard to get to where you are today. You're an inspiration and an example of how much I will have to work and how far I have to go. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful work!

Jean

stephen wilson
07-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Great work. Very educational. I'm also a fan or XTC and the Beatles!

mhimeswc
07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Super sketches! I wish I could draw people even half as well as those.

JamieWG
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
These are soooo inspiring!!!

Jamie

kevinwueste
07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Kevin, I can only echo what everyone else has said: Your work is AMAZING! But I'm sure you have worked very hard to get to where you are today. You're an inspiration and an example of how much I will have to work and how far I have to go. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful work!

Jean
Jean - thank you! I honestly ( perhaps that's just today) feel so lazy in my work but I try to keep at it as close to every day. Your words ( and many I have read here both inspire and humble me - keep up the good work and keep posting !

Thanks much for all your kind words and tireless energy Robert!

Stephen - awesome ( anyone who loves the beatles and XTC - check out cool youtube vids on Andy Partridge and XTC.. and fuzzy warbles cds and.. Jellyfish and The Grays ( the children of XTC and the Beatles in my eyes!)

mhimeswc - you can - it's just practice and study and all that - mucho - and you can do it!

Jamie - cheers mate - thanks!!

been drawing S L O W L Y in my sketchbook lately.. you guys get so much done ( ok I have been painting more ..).. a few things from recent travels..

all in ball point pen

Above - some studies of Norman Rockwell paintings and a figure doodle studying shadow and light shapes..

Above - figure gestures and a head study - again - light and shadow design study..

ABove different head studies J. H. Vanderpoel (top left), Fred Fixler ( I think!) top right and max parish below left..

Thanks for looking !

Vivien Maloney
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Absolutely stunning! They're so inspiring, I'll come back and look at this sketchbook again and again!

DrDebby
07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Spectacular. I still look at your work with amazement. Love what you do with a simple ball point pen.

kevinwueste
07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
thank you Viv and Debby for taking a look and for your kind words! - cheers Kevin

robertsloan2
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Kevin, these are great. The one that strikes me most is that combination of Norman Rockwell scenes and the figure study. They're all gorgeous, but that montage just got to me. It's very powerful. The juxtaposition may be accidental but it's very cool. The figure studies and head stories are great too.

bkkm
07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Kevin, I've been following your work and progress for sometime now (on the CA forum, same user name), and I've just come across these sketchbook pages of yours. I am blown away. I, too, have started studying drawing with guidance only recently (had my first class in January), and will soon have to go back to self-teaching myself, hopefully with a clearer goal now. After seeing your drawings here, some questions regarding how you do your studies (as opposed to drawing from the live model) popped up, and it would be really helpful if you could throw some light on them. You said you draw "often on airplanes since when I am somewhere, I am usually drawing or painting from the live model." When you're on the airplane, do you usually do copies after other artists, or do you also take this time to sketch the people around you? Would you consider one kind of study more helpful than the other? And, regarding your ballpoint pen technique, when you do hatching are you concerned mostly with value relationships? Or are you especially careful with the patterns your lines are making? The patterns look great, but they also look very spontaneous and natural , and I am interested in learning a bit more about your thought process as you go about it... And, lastly (I promise!), how long do these pen studies usually take you? (say, for example, the heads on your first and second posts on this thread?)

Sorry for the avalanche of questions! I've been learning a lot from looking at your drawings, and it's hard to control the temptation of trying to learn even more... :) Thanks! And I look forward to seeing more of these wonderful sketches.

kevinwueste
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Kevin, these are great. The one that strikes me most is that combination of Norman Rockwell scenes and the figure study. They're all gorgeous, but that montage just got to me. It's very powerful. The juxtaposition may be accidental but it's very cool. The figure studies and head stories are great too.
Hiya Robert - I'm glad you liked that - it kind of came together as I drew it but I kept an eye toward the composition as I developed it.. always thinking!!

Kevin, I've been following your work and progress for sometime now (on the CA forum, same user name), and I've just come across these sketchbook pages of yours. I am blown away. I, too, have started studying drawing with guidance only recently (had my first class in January), and will soon have to go back to self-teaching myself, hopefully with a clearer goal now. After seeing your drawings here, some questions regarding how you do your studies (as opposed to drawing from the live model) popped up, and it would be really helpful if you could throw some light on them. You said you draw "often on airplanes since when I am somewhere, I am usually drawing or painting from the live model." When you're on the airplane, do you usually do copies after other artists, or do you also take this time to sketch the people around you? Would you consider one kind of study more helpful than the other? And, regarding your ballpoint pen technique, when you do hatching are you concerned mostly with value relationships? Or are you especially careful with the patterns your lines are making? The patterns look great, but they also look very spontaneous and natural , and I am interested in learning a bit more about your thought process as you go about it... And, lastly (I promise!), how long do these pen studies usually take you? (say, for example, the heads on your first and second posts on this thread?)

Sorry for the avalanche of questions! I've been learning a lot from looking at your drawings, and it's hard to control the temptation of trying to learn even more... :) Thanks! And I look forward to seeing more of these wonderful sketches.
Hello Bkkm! Thank you for your note - let me see if I can answer that! When I am traveling, I will often sketch studies of artists' work and from photo refs ( and paintings - like from Rockwell or Fetchin or SArgent, say).. Often I have a plan when I am doing this, like - how can I have my strokes follow the cut of the light or - 'what is that artist doing and can I figure it out by drawing it ?'... Like the skulls on page one (more recent) and these more recent pages - the hatching will flow across the forms, not parallel with them (which is easier but will somehow break the way light moves across the form if that makes any sense). Sometimes with ballpoint, I have no choice and have to do it the "bad" way because I am working in a tiny space ( like the core shadow on a nose in the drawing below but I try to work the other way in once I have a general form in the right place. I am careful with the way I am doing it - yes ( at first, two plus years ago, I was less so and only worried about shapes and value but it really pays off - especially if you get to where the pen is serving you ( and not just making black marks in your drawing). If you look at the drawing of the girl with glasses ( in pencil) the hatching is just not organic and does not flow with the light and how it glides across forms and planes of her head. If I were to do that again, I would be much more careful about how the pencil does it's think.. Below I have included a page of a drawing from life that exmplifies this, but in pencil ( done about 2 months ago at Tony's school..). The model here is Kara - about two hours on Bristol recycled paper by Canson - really like that stuff!

Most of that method comes from my teacher - Tony Ryder - who is just a master at letting his pencil strokes develop the forms he is drawing! Some of my experimentation with edges in these works comes from time with Zhaoming Wu and Henry Yan but most recently in studying with Glen Orbik who is a student of Fred Fixler ( who studied with Frank Reilly - e.g., the Reilly method).. I make lots of mistakes in pen, it's not the most forgiving thing but sometimes I can nudge it back to good ness.. I think it also helps develop your eye /hand coordination.. Some of these little pen drawings took 10 minutes but the more subtle heads may be an hour or two and then I can't help but come back to them some times ( and sometimes for the worse!)..

A poster at WC that you m ight want to search is "nosaj" - he has a very insteresting technique with pen! Chris Sears ( ccsears at CA) also is a pen animal !!

Jakesgram
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Kevin - Still more beautiful work. I love all of it, but my eye was especially captured by the Norman Rockwell page and the Princess Leah page. In fact, I keep going back and looking at Princess Leah again and again. That is so beautifully done! Thanks for continuing to share.

Jean

bkkm
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Kevin,

Thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful reply! I can well see that, when the time comes, you will be a wonderful teacher. If you don't mind, I have one more question, regarding the influence of Tony Ryder on your work. You said you spent 9 months studying with him, and judging from your latest posts, I am assuming these 9 months have ended fairly recently, right? However, I do see that even before these 9 months, your tonal technique, the way you carefully construct patches of light and dark going across the form, bore some resemblance to the way you do it now and (maybe -- this is my question) to Tony's as well. My question is: does Tony Ryder's influence on the way you approach light and shade pre-date your 9-month stay at his school? And, if so, was it through his book? I ask that also bearing in mind that the way you deal with light and shade differs considerably from that of some of your former teachers (I am thinking here especially of Glen Orbik, but also of Henry Yan).

Again, thanks for being so generous with answering my questions, and as always am looking forward to seeing more drawings from you!

DrDebby
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Lovely life sketch of Kara.

kevinwueste
07-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Kevin - Still more beautiful work. I love all of it, but my eye was especially captured by the Norman Rockwell page and the Princess Leah page. In fact, I keep going back and looking at Princess Leah again and again. That is so beautifully done! Thanks for continuing to share.

Jean
Thank you Jean! Just to be fair (to Carrie Fisher ?) I called it "Princess Leah Hair" for obvious reasons. It is a riff off of a drawing by J.H. Vanderpoel but then I kind of went on and on with it. Thank you for saying that ( my favorite is the one right next to it on the right.. just some subtle lights that I like.. )..

bkkm Kevin,

Thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful reply! I can well see that, when the time comes, you will be a wonderful teacher. If you don't mind, I have one more question, regarding the influence of Tony Ryder on your work. You said you spent 9 months studying with him, and judging from your latest posts, I am assuming these 9 months have ended fairly recently, right? However, I do see that even before these 9 months, your tonal technique, the way you carefully construct patches of light and dark going across the form, bore some resemblance to the way you do it now and (maybe -- this is my question) to Tony's as well. My question is: does Tony Ryder's influence on the way you approach light and shade pre-date your 9-month stay at his school? And, if so, was it through his book? I ask that also bearing in mind that the way you deal with light and shade differs considerably from that of some of your former teachers (I am thinking here especially of Glen Orbik, but also of Henry Yan).

Again, thanks for being so generous with answering my questions, and as always am looking forward to seeing more drawings from you!

Hey bkkm - Yes I finished up with Tony end of May though I hope I will get to work with him from time to time for sure. In 2008 I spent 6 weeks at Grand Central Academy for their summer intensive and that may have had some bearing ? Also I have studied and pored over Tony's work in his book and site before going there - doing master copies to learn.. but what I could not figure out from the book I got to understand being on-site and seeing him do his thing - it's still pretty stunning to watch Tony draw or paint! (still doesn't mean I've figured it all out - just -- "figuring")

As to Glen O - I just went to his weekly tuesday afternoon class a few weeks ago but unless one is staying constant, things may shift.. Also, in charcoal I am working under much tighter time constraints so often I treat the drawing differently ( e.g., just trying to get the right value down quickly and in an organized fashion).. So they tend to look different for sure. If you check my recent post in figures, it looks like someone else drew the figures but I am working in short life drawings via Glen's teachings and longer works mostly from Tony.

Henry Yan is still a (another) magician to me even though I have watched him many times do his drawings and paintings - same thing I would say for Zhaoming Wu - just a mad scientist ( among many).. The great thing about people like Glen O ( and Hope Railey one of Glen's protege's) and Rob LIberace and Tony Ryder is they really work to explain things.. the why , the how and do it with you visually which is really powerful.. Every day I am still working on what I need to do ( much) better than I do now.. that's how I am programmed "" .. Glad to answer and no worries thanks for asking!

-Kevin

kevinwueste
07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Lovely life sketch of Kara.

Thank you Debby, I am rarely happy with much of what I do but that one makes me happy. Even a few months later! I hope I will get some more head studies in graphite soon down on paper!:)

tommyjav
11-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Stunning!:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Tommy

Joan T
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Somehow I missed these. Awesome work!!!!!:clap:

vhere
11-23-2011, 08:03 AM

pezk
11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Wonderful wonderful figure drawings. You draw the human very well.

Saint Ragdoll
12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Kevin,
There is a new "device" thatbwould be interesting for you to use since yiu like ballpoint. Google Wacom inkling.
It is a ballpointpen and a little sensor you. Lip to anynpaper, draw with the ball point and the image is recorded by the sensor as well as appearing on your paper as usual. You can then do whatever you want to the drawing by manipulating it using the computer program. Many artists are colaining because the Inkling uses a ballpoint, not the usual drawing tool.
Saint Ragdoll

Tamcafe
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Kevin, I am really inspired by your work! You make me want to do better!! Thank you for sharing!

JTMB
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi Kevin,

I'm glad this thread popped up to the top again so I could re-discover it. Coincidentally, I had just decided to start a figure and portrait sketchbook thread here - though my work isn't even quite in the same universe as yours inhabits. :) I have gotten better, though, and certainly hope to continue with practice. Your work here is fantastic inspiration to keep plugging away!

robertsloan2
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Checked for more and I'd love to see more! Keep going!

thevaliantx
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Reggie

Hey, fellow New Englander here! (Pittsfield, MA)

I took a look at google for searches on the Mutter Museum, and got freaked out. :eek:

jacquip
12-07-2011, 07:05 AM
I just have to echo what all the others have said, I am in awe, totally stunning work. Thank you so much for sharing and being an inspiration. I look forward to your next batch.

S.McPherson
12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Wow, beautiful drawings. Now I know why I have to keep working at it and I have a long way to go! We never stop learning and isn't it great. In my art class today she had us painting dead things...I did a horse' skull. It was an interesting exercise...how many people would know if it was anatomicaly correct? I took solice in that. If I get enough nerve I'll post it.:D Sandy

kevinwueste
12-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Thank you all of you for your thoughtful notes.. I have not updated in a WHILE.. and it seems some of my images have gone.. extinct!

here are a few things from my sketchbook.. from live models to Grace Cathedral 2 point perspective to other things in betwixt!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-figure_study_via_AAU_model_session_NOv_2011_vp.JPG

above from life and follow-up from reference..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-adrian_newey_-_designer_of_the_RB7_and_a_rough_outline_of_Seb_V_-_sfo_to_hon_flight_2011_November.jpg

adrian newey - the designer of the F1 rb7.. from a photo in a magazine while flying recently..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-grace_cathedral_subtle_two_point_perspective_november_2011.jpg

grace cathedral from the left of the altar.. there with my class drawing in 2 pt perspective..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-Grace_cathderal_alter_for_AoF_class_2_pt_perspective_nov_2011.jpg

also at grace ( the following day).. also to the left but now facing the alter/tabernacle.. a beautiful place to admire and draw.. these are simple shapes but maybe you can see more from them...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-Richard_in_graphite_nov_2011_vp.JPG

Richard, graphite - from life..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-benjamin_thumb_small.jpg

a quick thumbnail before embarking on a larger (30 x 40) charcoal drawing..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-single_light_source_head_shadow_maps_kevin_wueste_wc_sized.jpg

shadow shape and light demos.. used for the portrait swap this year..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-60s_agents_the_beeb.jpg

painted in sketchbook with acrylics.. I am so slow with acrylics!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2011/164138-dottie_thumbnail_study_small.jpg

Charcoal thumbnail.. for larger drawing that didn't survive..

thanks for looking!
-Kevin

vhere
12-11-2011, 08:18 AM
really strong life drawings :)

DrDebby
12-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Amazing work.

tommyjav
12-11-2011, 10:44 AM
The additions you've made to your thread is amazing! :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Tommy

RainySea
12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
wow, those are beautiful. . . both the sketches and the more finished/polished works. Love the background on the one in color

kevinwueste
12-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow, beautiful drawings. Now I know why I have to keep working at it and I have a long way to go! We never stop learning and isn't it great. In my art class today she had us painting dead things...I did a horse' skull. It was an interesting exercise...how many people would know if it was anatomicaly correct? I took solice in that. If I get enough nerve I'll post it.:D Sandy

Thank you Sandy - well - I would know but I am an art nerd and care about the quality of every drawing. getting those shapes right is the massively important foundation to everything else. Even doing outdoor sketches, I strive to see and understand the shapes I put down on paper.. I hope you post your work - we mostly learn from getting feedback ( and from whomever our teachers are of course!) - Also - this is a sketchbook/art journal zone and this is where we are working out things, making mistakes, discovering.. letting our pants fall down.. hitching them back up again.. all that whatnot.. etc.,

-Kevin

kevinwueste
12-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Vivien - thank you - it's my job so I'd better be doing it ok!
cheers Debby - thank you !!!
Tommy - thank you kindly.. I feel honored that people dig my sketch doodles.. very!
RainySea - thank you too! that background.. so important.. I wanted it to feel like .. wet Boca ( lens aperture blurring effect).. it took a while to do in acrylics!

JTMB
12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I agree with everyone else here - your drawings are amazing, but even more importantly, they're inspirational! Just from having taken a three day portrait class (from two very good instructors) recently, and having been doing some more figures and portraits over the last couple weeks - I'm already developing a better eye to see where little things are 'off' and consequently starting to get better at drawing them 'right'. Of course I thought I was seeing decently before, but it's an unending scale of ability level that only responds to interest, time and more focused practice. At least now I'm feeling like I can at least sometimes get a decent likeness of someone. I hope you keep posting here!

JamieWG
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Really bold, decisive lines and strokes. Love your style!

Jamie

kevinwueste
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
John, it is a great feeling when we start to see and feel our way with our work - good to hear that is happening for you!

Jamie - cheers and thanks ! when I get some travel time soon I will get more sketchbook time!

thanks again all for taking the time to comment - Kevin

kevinwueste
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Hiya - I haven't had a chance to post here in a while - thought I'd drop in and say hello.. some recent smatterings.. Ta for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-notebook_page_2.jpg

A cast of characters all in one of my class notebooks.. All in pen, freehand from some photos..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-note_book_page_1.jpg

A torso drawing from the real setup.. in pen..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-Slide1.JPG

some small figures from life..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-Bob_demo_resized.jpg from life from another SB..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-kadijah_1.jpg pencil from the live model in SB

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2012/164138-kadijah_2.jpg more of same model from life - all 5-20 minute..

DrDebby
05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Good to see you back. These are great model sketches.

JTMB
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Great to see your wonderful work back again!

RainySea
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
awesome sketches!

Joan T
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Your figures and faces are just wonderful! Thanks for sharing more of your work!!

kevinwueste
05-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Good to see you back. These are great model sketches.

Thank you Doc ( Debby) and John and everyone - I wish I got to visit here more - it's always great to see what you are all up to in your SB's!

Cheers, Kevin

jpastores
05-14-2012, 01:30 AM
man. so anatomically awesome. i've just stumbled upon your page. i feel like i've learned so much just viewing a couple of your portraits/figures. this has certainly inspired me to continue advancing my drawing skills. thanks for posting!

JamieWG
05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Kevin, it always thrills me to see your work. I'm going to come back and read this more leisurely soon, but seeing your posts makes my hand immediately reach for the sketchbook. There's no substitute for brush mileage, or in this case, pen/pencil mileage! ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

Jamie

Tamcafe
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I was so excited to see that you had added more images to this thread! I admire your mastery of the form and light! What is your choice sketching tool - inkpen or graphite? What sort of instruments are your go-to?

kevinwueste
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Thank you @ JP
- and thank you @Jamie !
@Tamcafe - thank you and hello! I use pencil (graphite) in this sketchbook since they are easy for travel and not too messy. I use charcoal often at home and also have lots of sketches done in pentel reguarl ball-point-pen ( black).. they can really get some nice form if you get in the groove with them!

Tamcafe
05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, you seem to have mastered the two! I just need more practice... I also think I need to take on a project... Oh your threads always make me want to do more!

Elain
05-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Terrific figure studies and faces. Love seein gyour work.

kevinwueste
05-26-2012, 05:51 PM
@Tamcafe - well if showing these doodles does someone some good - then - all the better! cheers - kevin

@Elain - thank you !! - kw hopefully will post more soon! -

TawnyaDraws
06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I thought of Rockwell when I was looking at your sketches. ...and I was wondering if you are left handed???? Da Vinci was left handed and you have similar lines that he made. (I just learned that it was rare for an artist in his day!)

I think the noses on all of your models have a similar look about them. I wonder if that's your "signature"??? I wonder if I could pick our your drawings from a line-up!! Wouldn't that be interesting?! ...okay, I'm rambling. Sorry. You've motivated me to keep a sketch journal. Thanks. :)

kevinwueste
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi TawnyaDraws,

Yes I am left-handed . Typically left-handers will shade their diagonals from high on the left to low on the right and righty's - it'll be vice versa. I am humbled that anyone would think of Sir Norman R(ockwell) when looking at my drawings.

Noses- interesting - I love noses but to me there is not so much that is the same about them other than I drew them.. Often when I work from life, the light setup is similar so the shadow-shapes are the same. MOstly, I just observe and compare, draw, and repeat it! The more your observational skills develop the more you can tell the work of people you are familiar with absolutely!

Cheers, Kevin

lovin art
06-22-2012, 11:02 AM
: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lovin art
06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Your work will be written in the stars one day and they WILL talk of you for many years to come ..... I truly loved seeing these , they all made me smile for sure ! :D

I promise I'll never forget you or these......Thankyou for all the inspiration you inspired in me ...:heart: