PDA

View Full Version : Removing paper off pastel sticks?

ctmobitz
05-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I have read and heard that one should always remove paper off pastel sticks. This way one can use the whole stick from tip to sides of pastel. Well I have tried and it is not that easy....anyone have any metholds of removing paper labels off pastels?

Lynndidj
05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
well, i just sort of dig a nail in and rip!! i usually leave the part of the label on that has the number, break the pastel in half, and then use the unwrapped half.

Lynn

Mstechart
05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Yep -- dig the nail in under and rip it off. But I agree -- sometimes it is tough and the pastel will crumble some.

allydoodle
05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh, the trials and tribulations of pastel work! :lol: ! There is a thread that goes back aways, which at times is quite funny and is of course informative (we always try to be informative, while still retaining our humor!).

If I've done this right, here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582655

It's a fun read - enjoy!

ctmobitz
05-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Chris...

Thanks for the info about that thread of a ways back....it tells it all....I am glad I asked the question.....let them rip !!!

Claude

Tom Perry
05-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I like to make a color chart and record the color, tint/shade, number and brand for each stick I buy either alone or in sets. I keep this info in plastic slip protectors in a three ring binder. When a stick starts getting too small to use I have a handy reference to order a new one.

I remove the wrappers using either a single edge razor blade or an Xacto knife. I just slit down the length and then peel off.

I have a near full of art spectrum and didn't really have a problem with any glue adhering to the pastel. Perhaps they've used different glue blends.

Potoma
05-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I only use pieces that are about 3/4 inch long, so I get 3-4 per pastel stick. I can usually break or find a break and shimmy the pastel out without cutting the paper. Otherwise, I use a xacto knife to score the pastel and the paper to the proper size.

Elena in Exeter
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
This is what happens to me - I have a bunch of pastels in the cloth in my lap while I paint, the phone rings, I forget they are there, jump up and they fall on the floor and shatter. Then I am left with a part empty wrapper that's easy to remove!!!!! Seriously, I have stopped doing that now as it was getting too expensive, I keep them in a little tub.

Elena

DAK723
05-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I read recently (in the Creevy book, I think) that Senneliers are better left with the wrapper on. The wrapper is an important element in keeping the Senneliers from crumbling (as they often do). That's the only brand that I would recommend only removing the wrapper bit by bit as necessary.

Don

ctmobitz
05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Well thank you all for your advise for the paper issue on pastels. I will give it a try with the x-acto knife.

ryder98
05-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Huh ... I have but a small selection of Schminke pastels in my pastel box with wrappers ... everything else is naked (and filthy as a result) but I don't mind because the naked ones are the cheap ones ;)

I leave the papers on the Schminkes for as long as I can, and only remove a small portion of the paper as needed. The nature of my work thus far does not demand a pastel be layed on its side and used, so I can leave my Schminkes safely in their jackets and just dab them here and there nearing the completion of a painting for highlights and such :)

Someday when I am rich and famous I will buy a whole truck load of Schminkes, strip them down, and toss them in with the other pastels like they are no big deal ... lol

Heather