PDA

View Full Version : matisse colors to golden paints

briansommers
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm really loving the matisse colors but I wonder is there a color guide or recipe guide where it would give me the equivalent to golden colors?

I'm looking for southern ocean blue in matisse is equal to ??? blank in goldens?

thanks
bs

idylbrush
05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Might check the color designator on the tube and get as close as possible in the golden. On the Matisse tube the designator is right under the color name.

Example

Mars Black
Series 1
PBk11

That last set of numbers would be the best way to track a color but there will still be color variations depending on the pigments, the mixture and the quality of the pigments.

Someone may have other options but that is where I would start.

Is there a reason that you don't just use the Matisse color? I think it a rather decent/good paint overall. I really like the feel of it as much as I like Golden.

Einion
05-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Brian, as Howard says the pigment(s) listed on the tube or on a company's website are your first stop when you want to get something of the same/similar colour in another line.

With any paints that are mixes this is of course going to be much more difficult; you may have no choice but to mix it yourself.

However even with single-pigment paints you can quite commonly run into the problem that some pigments vary quite a bit - one of the best examples being all the shades of cadmium reds which are all defined by the one pigment name, PR108. As I think was mentioned in another thread recently, even with paints that look to be the same colour straight from the tube they can mix differently due to variations in pigment and paint makeup.

Einion

briansommers
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
thanks, the closest I can come is golden's turquoise (pthalo)

but I think idylbrush is correct just buy matisse!

I have to mail order because my local art store does not carry it in stock, I would rather purchase locally because I'm to impatient to wait when I order something by mail! well maybe I'll just wait.

I see that you have used them? I might consider using them myself, it is good to know that they stack up to Golden's well.

Einion
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I just checked Matisse's pigment table and it's made from what I suspected it might be from looking at the swatch, a blend of Phthalo Blue GS and Phthalo Green BS (PB15:3 and PG7).

Golden's paint Turquois (Phthalo) is made from a similar blue mixed with the same green.

Einion