PDA

View Full Version : Trees with Ferns - xpost from Floral/Botanical

nurciuoli
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Thought I would post this here also, as not everyone frequents both the acrylics & floral forums.

This was done for the Calypso Moon Artist blog challenge, link to it is here (http://calypsomoonartistmovement.blogspot.com/). The subject this month is The Secret Garden. Somewhere I go to replenish my soul, that is a place I retreat to. A sanctuary.

Although flowers were acceptable, and I do love to garden - planting flowers in containers and within the yard - I found that I go off into the woods when I want to re-energize. There is something about being surrounded by trees and greenery that just rejuvenates me.

For that reason, I chose to paint the tree trunks with ferns. These are a very common sight in the forests I walk through in upstate NY, and I love that "alone" feeling within the woods. But I'm never really alone, not with birds & bugs, trees & plants - it is actually quite alive. It's what brings me back to earth and grounds me.

And if you are very, very quiet - you may even catch a glimpse of an elf or two!

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Photo is from the RIL, much thanks to Rosic for this wonderful reference.

- Nan

chammi kaiser
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Nancie. Love trees too and yours are terrific. The bark makes me want to reach out and touch it. The ferns are soft and a great contrast to the might of the trees. Super painting.

OkeeKat
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Fabulous trees and ferns, Love the colors in the bark,
very well done!

LavenderFrost
05-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Wonderful job!

texana6
05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh, I'm certain there must be an elf or gnome deep in that deep foliage. You have truely captured the cool shade and speckled sunlight of a forest! :thumbsup:

arl
05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Lovely colours and textures.

ladypainter
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Beautiful color in this piece and great texture in the tree bark.

nurciuoli
05-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

debee
05-19-2010, 01:05 PM
You've captured the softness of the ferns very well. This is a very familiar scene here in NE Pennsylvania also. Makes me want to take a walk in the nearby woods.

Grace5
05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Wonderful work on the bark and ferns.

Charlie's Mum
05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
This is lovely Nan - cool and inviting!

I agree with you about the tranquility we get with trees and ferns - calming!

Love the contrast of the rough trunks and the soft ferns.

Lady Carol
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
gorgeous. The tree and fern combo is terrific.

mollynix
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow!..that is good!...beautiful...so lifelike!

mollynix
05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Wow!..that is good!...beautiful...so lifelike!

Heart Of Darkness
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Beautiful work :)

Was it difficult painting the bark of the trees? I'm about to paint the bark of a silver birch and I'm not looking forward to it! :)

nurciuoli
05-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow, again, thank you for all your kind comments.

Lea - I don't find bark difficult to paint, but then again, I love trees. The thing I find with bark is (a) there are always more colors than you may think you see, so I usually do a second & third look and (b) whatever colors you do use, go from light to medium to dark values to create the "roundness" of the trunk. Other than that, any strokes you put in add texture to the bark - you just have to match the tree that you are doing. On pines, I use a longer vertical stroke, while on birch I find the strokes are more horizontal but with a curve. Good luck & try to enjoy. It'll come out better than you think, I'm sure.

noodle1
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Nancie this is very well done, love it. You really caught the sense of the softness of the fern and the roughness of the bark, great contradiction.

Elaine

solonite
05-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Love this...makes me feel like I am in the deep woods!