PDA

View Full Version : Canson watercolour book (about 12x9 inches): Cornwall

vhere
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_034.jpg

I've got a Canson watercolour book that I've kept for when we go down to Cornwall. I use larger paper as well so these are just the work from this particular book.

This is one of the most recent

Watercolour, pencil and polychromos pencils
Sketch of the farmhouse where we were staying last week, from the valley below.

The bright yellow is gorse in bloom - there is lots of it up on the moor and in the hedgerows.

Bluebells are in flower - there are flashes of them on the bottom left

The farm is up on the edge of the moor and a stream called the Cot runs through the Cot valley and comes out about a mile or so away at Porth Nanven, a tiny gorgeous little cove.

robertsloan2
05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Viv, this is so gorgeous! Thank you for posting the start. I'm looking forward to seeing more Cornish scenery in whatever mediums you use -- watercolor books are so great for mixed media. The pencil accents really make the watercolor snap. That building is magnificent, I love the chimneys coming up and the accurate perspective. The foreground shrubs and grasses are very lively, the whole landscape is elegant. Love it.

vhere
05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_030.jpg
Porthcurno
oil paints in Canson watercolour sketchbook

vhere
05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
thanks Robert :) I love working in mixed media

the second one includes real beach sand !

robertsloan2
05-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Gorgeous surf with real beach sand! Now that's creative mixed media. I haven't ever tried oils on watercolor paper but I've seen it done here at WC many times, you did it gorgeous. Your clouds are magnificent! The whole painting is beautiful.

Yorky
05-16-2010, 02:27 PM
It's always a treat to see your sketches Vivien.

Love the first one.

Doug

sparkling
05-16-2010, 02:36 PM
So beautiful :D. I like the way you also included original sand from that beach in the painting. Wow!

purpalia
05-16-2010, 02:39 PM
The first sketch is absolutely beautiful, and I really liked how you used the real sand on the beach sketch !! :)

Vivien Maloney
05-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Vivien; Love your sketches in the Canson Watercolour book. Little gems! I've never used a Watercolour Sketchbook before but have just bought a Langton one so I'm looking forward to sketching in it. A good idea to keep a seperate Sketchbook for different things/places.

prismalos
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Cool mixed media book! Thanks for sharing :)

DrDebby
05-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Lovely paintings both of them. Very clever including beach sand in your painting.

Davkin
05-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow! I love that landscape Vivien. Perfect mix of mediums to get the perfect effect.

David

AZ Traveler
05-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Both are well done but I'm particularly liking the Cornwall farm and included notes. :thumbsup:

Delbert

Dougwas
05-17-2010, 02:09 AM
I love the idea of mixed media. The first sketch has so much going for it and what a neat idea to use sand in the second sketch.

Doug

friesin
05-17-2010, 02:22 AM
What a wonderful idea to share these watercolours!
I am a great fan of mixed media, and I like yours

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
05-17-2010, 03:45 AM
These are AMAZING, I LOVE them both, espcially the beach scene!

vhere
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Robert, Doug, Silvia, Sandra, Viv, Raymond, Debby,David, Delbert, Doug 2, Friesin and Stacey - thank you all :>)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2010/53888-e__sennen_cove_cool_day.jpg

This one is watercolour, done last week - and I don't like it as well - done with all the family there and I couldn't really concentrate

and this is one my grandson age 2 did in my book - that I like better!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_032.jpg

robertsloan2
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Vivien, I like your watercolor seascape. The colors are rich, the surf is reserved white and has a nice sparkle to it. The long expanse of beach helps to balance the brilliant tropical water. Your grandson's version is lively though!

DrDebby
05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Even tho' you don't like it, I think it's a lovely rendering. I had to smile at your grandson's contribution. I can remember letting my son have at my sketchbook when we were stuck in commute traffic getting home from work and daycare. I will treasure it always.

vhere
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
thanks :) yes it's a really good idea to have a sketchbook at all times and I will treasure his painting

Here is another in this book

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2010/53888-e__small_cove_next_to_Porthcurno_from_above.jpg

watercolour, coloured pencil and a little wax candle as a resist

The cove at Porthcurno is famous for the incredible colour and this is a little covelet just next to it, looking down from the cliff.

The cliff tops are covered in wild flowers

robertsloan2
05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Vivien, this is incredible! I love the vertical composition, it's so challenging and beautiful. I had to full screen to see the whole thing and it was worth it! Wonderful sea, the water is so full of motion and color that it draws me right in. I feel like I'm looking down into this, can almost feel the vertigo and the flowers tickling my feet and hot sun on my back. The rocks are gorgeous and lead my eye right down into the sea, the bit of beach right under the flowers tells me it'd be a bad idea to dive -- but fun to clamber down and wade or swim. That water is hypnotic. I love the way you captured the motion of the sea, the more I look the more entranced I become.

This is absolutely one of your best ever. Treasure it and treasure this book, it's got so many gems already that it's a joy.

Vivien Maloney
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Vivien; Your Journal sketches are wonderful! The watercolour beachscene is lovely and your grandsons contribution brings back so many memories for me of my grandchildren drawing in mine. The cliff scene is so realistic I feel as if I'm there, looking down on the sea.

prismalos
05-19-2010, 01:38 AM
I feel like I'm really looking down from that cliff. Love the waters! :clap:

purpalia
05-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Vivien, the painting of the cliff is gorgeous, wow! :cat:

DrDebby
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Awesome cliff painting. It's very inviting. You want to scramble down the rocks to see what treasures the sea has left on that tiny little beach.

vhere
05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Robert, Viv, Raymond, Sandra and Debby - thank you :)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_029.jpg

This one is oil paint and is from memory of a sunset as we drove back to our holiday house (done last year in the same area)

The road led across the edge of the moor and the sunset was incredible with the sea gleaming darkly below

vhere
05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Robert, Viv, Raymond, Sandra and Debby - thank you

:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_029.jpg

This one is oil paint and is from memory of a sunset as we drove back to our holiday house (done last year in the same area)

The road led across the edge of the moor and the sunset was incredible with the sea gleaming darkly below

DrDebby
05-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Great painting. The sunset over a moody sea. I really like it.

hydgirl
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Great landscapes, Vivien. Love the water scapes - they look very serene.

JTMB
05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Great work, Vivien! The cliff done from the high viewpoint is my favorite.

purpalia
05-20-2010, 07:23 AM
From Memory !!!! This is awesome!

I so love sunsets... My parent's house is facing West, and is overlooking a gently sloping hill, with the city we now live in in the far horizon... I regret not having taken to drawing/painting more seriously when I was still a teenager hehe... ^_~

robertsloan2
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Robert, Viv, Raymond, Sandra and Debby - thank you

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_029.jpg

Gorgeous sunset! I love the way you captured that late-sunset darkness, the glowing clouds and blue deeps of the sky and sea. Wonderful seascape. I can understand why this one stuck in your head till you had to paint it.

vhere
05-21-2010, 02:49 AM
thanks everyone :)

and this is the other end of the day - early dawn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2010/53888-e_1_Copy_3_of_dawn_sennen_co_copy.jpg
Dawn across the bay

again in that Canson book on the facing page to the sunset, you can just see the edge of it in the photo of that.

This was done before the family were up, sitting quietly looking out of the window of the house we were renting at the early early dawn.

(oil)

Yorky
05-21-2010, 02:54 AM
Wonderful sketches Vivien, I love the skies and the dawn sketch is so atmospheric.

Doug

DrDebby
05-21-2010, 10:23 AM
The dawn painting is so peaceful. You can just feel the hush before the day begins. Love that time of day, and this looks just like it.

robertsloan2
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Vivien, this dawn scene is gorgeous. I love the peaceful stillness, the sense that the rest of the human world hasn't got up yet and there's boundless freedom of mind. The soft ripples in water are so natural I'm drawn right in, can practically feel it sloshing on my toes. I'd be up that early too if I were out near the sea at a good quiet beach like that! Or stay up late waiting for it, anyway.

You do oils so well on paper that I'm impressed. I've never really tried oils on paper but you're not the first one I've seen use them well in a Moleskine. I may have to try it sometime.

What brushes do you use? What techniques? Do you thin the paint quite a bit with turpentine or its odorless substitutes? Do you have to gesso the page first or is the sizing for watercolors enough to let you do oil sketches? It's beautiful the way you do it and I'd love to try, I've got oils but have only used them on canvas or canvas boards.

JudiPatooti
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Lovely work!

vhere
05-22-2010, 05:43 AM
What brushes do you use? What techniques? Do you thin the paint quite a bit with turpentine or its odorless substitutes? Do you have to gesso the page first or is the sizing for watercolors enough to let you do oil sketches? It's beautiful the way you do it and I'd love to try, I've got oils but have only used them on canvas or canvas boards.

Thank you everyone :>)

Robert that was positively poetic :) and exactly how I felt at that time

I use very very little medium, mostly none - when sketching it's often Liquin if necessary, simply because of the ease of transport.

I use a palette (painting) knife a lot, though not to spread paint thickly - more to scrape it across the paper, scratch through to underlying colour or bounce it across the page for random marks.

I don't gesso the page because I like the way the paper absorbs the paint slightly (it doesn't go through to the other side though).

I also use cheap nylon brushes. I tend to prefer the 'give' and bounce of nylon and only occasionally use hog brushes. I like flats and filberts and they only cost about the equivalen of $3 or $4. i wipe them clean with baby oil (and to clean me too) and then soapy water. The baby oil keeps the paint from drying on them and spoiling them if I'm working plein air. (I use quick drying W&N Griffin Alkyd oils for sketching - and frequently in the studio as well)

For large studio canvasses I still tend to prefer nylon and buy the 1/2/3 inch brushes designed for varnish (from hardward stores). They have flexible longer bristles and I like the more fluid handling.

here is another one from the Canson book

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_013.jpg

A charcoal sketch of Lanyon Quoit, a bronze age burial tomb. The covering soil is eroded away, leaving the huge stones. It's up in the hills in moorland. There are lots of these and stone circles in the area.

robertsloan2
05-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you! I'm glad you use the W&N Griffin Alkyds, I have those. I've also got lots of nylon brushes, flats and rounds and filberts. I can see that scraping back would be a really effective technique, so I'll be sure to keep my palette knife handy when I try it.

This is going to be great!

I love your charcoal sketch of Lanyon Quoit. The texture of the stones is magnificent, the whole scene has a lot of depth and power. Charcoal is so great for strong values and expressive marks. The light on the stones is wonderful and that dark sky is so foreboding and mysterious that it draws me right in. The scene is so magical. Wonderfully atmospheric. Thank you for posting it!

DrDebby
05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh my goodness! That is a magnificent drawing.

kevinwueste
05-22-2010, 10:57 AM
thanks :) yes it's a really good idea to have a sketchbook at all times and I will treasure his painting

Here is another in this book

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2010/53888-e__small_cove_next_to_Porthcurno_from_above.jpg

watercolour, coloured pencil and a little wax candle as a resist

The cove at Porthcurno is famous for the incredible colour and this is a little covelet just next to it, looking down from the cliff.

The cliff tops are covered in wild flowers

This is Grand !! wow! !!!

vhere
05-23-2010, 05:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_014.jpg

thank you both :)

Another version of Lanyon Quoit - again in charcoal but this time with some coloured pencil overlaid to add moody colour.

DrDebby
05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I liked the one in charcoal, but this in color is even more stunning. Wow!

vhere
05-23-2010, 12:44 PM

I've decided to make another book for my grandson so I've been slaving over a hot computer on a very hot sunny day!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/53888-cover__front_version_2.jpg

I've used the image of the farm for the cover - prints of course not originals. I'm using Publisher to put it together

opened out it looks like this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/53888-cover_version_2.jpg

I've got a rough draft of a lot of the inside pages, using my paintings and now I need to do some of him playing in the various places and the farm animals etc (cows, chickens and visiting cat) and the farmer on his tractor

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/53888-5.jpg

That one uses another painting from the Canson sketchbook

Aiylah
05-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I too am impressed with your oils on the paper :D Your paintings are beautiful, just like the landscapes that they are of. Your book looks great, I find your painting style suits illustration well, I'm sure your grandson will love it!

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Your landscapes are incredible. The ones for this latest Sam book are so striking. I'm in love with your surf. It's utterly magnificent. The farm scene is lovely but the surf really grabs me. Great charcoal and color version of the stones again -- I liked it in black and white but the color version is gorgeous!

Davkin
05-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow! These are so impressive. Inspires me to put in more effort in my sketches.

David

DrDebby
05-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Sam is one lucky grandson to have a grandmother like you. The paintings for the book illustrations are just gorgeous.

vhere
05-25-2010, 04:48 AM
I spend hours studying the surf! so I'm glad you like it. I don't want to catch a perfect frozen moment but a sense of movement and atmosphere.

here is another

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2010/53888-CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_003.JPG

the surf was really high and the horizon was a mass of incoming swells, not level at all, the waves crashed against the high cliffs - a gorgeous day :)

ReggieS
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Vivien-
Your waterscapes are wonderful!!!! You have really captured the motion of the waves and the bright color!

I am really enjoying seeing these!

Reggie

prismalos
05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Cool bodies of water! Those waves are lifelike, as if they are in motion.

vhere
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
thanks Reggie and Raymond - the feeling of motion is just what i wanted to convey :>) The noise and mountains of water are quite intimidating up close!

robertsloan2
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Vivien, I love this. Your surf is gorgeous again and the rock is so massive, it's wonderful. I like how you handled the sand too. The scene looks so good I can hear it pounding -- you did capture the motion so beautifully.

DrDebby
05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow, beautiful scene. The surf looks so real.

vhere
05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
thank you everyone :)

JamieWG
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Vivien, I love these! Having them together in one book like this gives them so much more meaning and they will always be a collection. I think the first is my favorite, though I expect we will be treated to many more to come; love the composition.

The only Canson watercolor books I've found have been spiral bound, but this one looks like it is stitch bound. I wonder why we can't seem to get those here.

Did you gesso the paper before oil painting on it? Did any oil go through?

Jamie

vhere
05-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes it is stitch bound and it's a lovely book - I thought I bought it from Jacksons but can't find it on their site to show you. I hope they haven't stopped selling them as I love this book.

No I never prime the paper - I like the way the oil paint works on it as it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_017.jpg

Another page in the book

This is a collage experiment using collaged papers that I'd made. I'd never done marbling and one of my students showed me how. The surf is made my either leaving gaps or tearing the paper to create the ragged edges.

DrDebby
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
That is so awesome that you marbled your own papers for this collage. I thought it was another one of your spectacular paintings till I read the bottom.

vhere
05-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks Debby - the marbling isn't at all expert believe me! but it was fun and really easy.

Someone earlier asked about the Canson sketchbook - here is a link to it (http://www.greatart.co.uk/CANSONWATERCOLOURSKETCHBOOK2-water-colour-sketch-books.htm)from Great Art if anyone is interested. Mine is the 30cm/12 inch size.

JamieWG
05-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Someone earlier asked about the Canson sketchbook - here is a link to it (http://www.greatart.co.uk/CANSONWATERCOLOURSKETCHBOOK2-water-colour-sketch-books.htm)from Great Art if anyone is interested. Mine is the 30cm/12 inch size.

That would be me! Thanks so much, Vivien.

Jamie

vhere
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
a pleasure :)

robertsloan2
05-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Debby, that is breathtaking. I don't like collage when I do it. That is, my own collages with what's available. That is just brilliant, and your marbling the papers for it too was such a great idea. It's beautiful.

vhere
05-29-2010, 04:18 PM
that was me not Debby!

here is another one

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_019.jpg

collage papers and cp, playing with the movement of waves on the sand

DrDebby
05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
This is very realistic looking with the marbled papers. Very clever how you are using them.

robertsloan2
05-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Gorgeous, Vivien. I apologize. I was having a fibro moment. Wayyyy out in the fog. When I get names wrong though, I usually wind up blanking and thinking that your name is Debby rather than that Debby did it though. I know who I'm talking to, just glitch on the name.

Truth that I love it. This page too, it's so beautiful. Your hand marbled papers are gorgeous in themselves and what you do with them afterward is elegant design.

vhere
05-30-2010, 03:08 AM
:) I am terribly forgetful with names - not great when teaching several classes of people!

Here are a couple of illustrations for the book for my grandson that is becoming interwoven with this sketchbook

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/53888-e__sam_and_chicken_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/53888-e__sam_and_shells.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/53888-e__sam_playing_football_coloured_with_background.jpg

Yorky
05-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Ahh! Wonderful sketches Vivien.

Doug

sparkling
05-30-2010, 04:23 AM
Vivien, those sketches and paintings are so beautiful to look at. All those scenes of beaches, cliffs and the sea make me long for the summer vacations.

vhere
05-30-2010, 06:22 AM
thanks Doug and Silvia :)

I've been working on another one this morning (putting off the tractor!!! that one isn't going to be easy)

This is him full of joie de vivre, leaping down the steps to our holiday farmhouse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/53888-e__sam_juimping_down_steps.jpg

DrDebby
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Vivien, these are wonderful sketches. You can just see the concentration of him squatting on the beach. And leaping down the stairs is priceless.

vhere
05-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks Debby :)

In the afternoon I tackled the tractor. I haven't a clue what all the half seen machinery is! luckily it was in deep shadow

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/53888-e__farmer_tommy_on_tractor.jpg

DrDebby
05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
You did a fine job on the tractor. Another precious moment captured.

Davkin
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM
All great stuff! I love it all. Your method of combining pen with WC is very elegant, you almost don't notice the pen.

David

robertsloan2
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Vivien, these are fantastic! Don't fear the tractor -- it came out perfect. It looks real, only a mechanic might spot anything a little off and it's in deep shadow. All of your illustrations are so beautiful, it's magnificent. This book has professional quality, it's awesome.

And if that's the real Sam, he's good looking too!

vhere
06-01-2010, 05:12 AM
thanks for all the lovely comments :)

yes. these are supposed to be the real Sam and real daughter and Farmer Tommy who owns the houses we rented (next door to his farmhouse) :)

I try to make the pen/pencil integrate with the painting and not simply outline things so I'm glad you feel it does David - every mark has to earn its keep and be there for a reason, or that's the idea!

prismalos
06-01-2010, 07:24 AM
These sketches are really interesting and I'm sure kids who'll get to see this would love it, you can even attach a long text and they'd gladly read it! thanks for sharing. :)

Whisperwood
06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh wow! You are right! I feel like i've been transported back to the channel islands! Cornwall really is very much the same, same cliffs, small coves and bays tucked away, wildflowers.... all of it beautiful! And I LOVE gorse bushes... the fill the air with the scent of coconut in the summer!
I loved your bay at "dawn".... again, it reminded me of home, when I go back and take a walk in the early morning, just as the sun is coming up and the sea fog begins to lift... showing other rocks and islands off the coast. It really is the most beautiful thing that you have to just experience.... but your paintings show it perfectly! I am very impressed with everything in this journal. I only wish I could do half as well! I've never tried a beach scene, yet I've loved and grown up surrounded by them my whole life. One day I will attempt it!
Can't wait to see more :-)

mhimeswc
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Your Cornwall landscapes - and seascapes - are lovely, and Sam's book is wonderful!

vhere
06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Thank you all so much :) I think it's important to paint/draw things you really know - so maybe when you visit home again you could do some sketching Rachel?

Whisperwood
06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I will definitely try! :-)

WC Lee
06-02-2010, 11:51 PM
wonderful work, Vivien :) wondering, when you use oils in the sketchbook, do you put it on an easel? or hold it in your hand while you paint?

vhere
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
just hold it in my hands with the palette of paints next to me - I rarely take an easel plein air painting.

vhere
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_015.jpg

another charcoal one from the Canson book - the paper is lovely and works with so many different media :)

These rocks are massive and are on the edge of the cliff above wild seas, no beach below here.

DrDebby
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Great rocks. You can really see the erosion.

Davkin
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
You definately have a handle on rocks, a subject I really struggle with.

David

robertsloan2
06-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Gorgeous rocks in charcoal. Vivien, the strong values and rugged shapes just grab me. I love rocks done well. Best of all above wild seas.

vhere
06-05-2010, 04:13 AM
I think you have to really hold in mind the texture and weight of what you are drawing - whatever it is. The feel of it is more important than worrying about where your line is going - get the hand eye coordination going and really 'feel' the object and cat fur or rock will happen :)

One of my tutors way-back-when used to say 'feel as if the pencil is touching the object' but for me it's more the abstract feel of it.

vhere
06-06-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_009.jpg

Pub lunch :) - the family were playing pool and I sat in the sun with a cool apple juice, sketching

robertsloan2
06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Great pub lunch. I like the way you got the cast iron table and chair and the drink so well. Beautiful clear glass.

DrDebby
06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
The iron table and chair are wonderful. The glass and menu add to the whole.

vhere
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2010/53888-CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_001.JPG

This was the first page of the book (lino print stuck in on the left) - I'd not used this particular brand of book before and so did a little page of experiments in various media that I might want to use in it. It behaved well with virtually everything.

It also did away with the problems of wanting the first page to 'work' - that dreaded first page feeling :rolleyes:

I just painted around an imaginary 'coast' written across the linear images, allowing the text to show up with the negative spaces painted. (no resist/masking fluid)

detail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_001crop.jpg

robertsloan2
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Vivien, this is gorgeous. I love the way you did the word COAST just by painting the negative space. I do that too a lot of times, masking fluid can be hard to control or inconvenient or I just don't think of using it till the painting is underway. Beautiful water textures and colors in the row of narrow little paintings, that's so cool. I like your linoleum print too, that's bold and tribal looking, reminds me more of the South Seas than Cornwall but all ties in together -- it's all the same world ocean.

DrDebby
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
The lino print is very cool. But, the "Coast" painting is just fun. Great work.

vhere
06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I have a confession about the lino print - it was actually trees in its first incarnation! a very long tall vertical print and I didn't like it at all - I turned it over, cut it into sections and experimented elsewhere with colour as the textures could equally be stylised rocks/water etc :D

robertsloan2
06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh that was cool! I like how it looks horizontal, all I have to do is turn my head and I can see what you had before with the wood textures. Well done. It does look so great next to the COAST verticals.

vhere
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
It was printed as an intaglio lino - where you put foam between the print and the blankets and the roller of the printing press - this makes the texture really embossed, so it's actually quite 3D. (the horizontal trees :D )

vhere
06-19-2010, 04:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_CANSON_SKETCHBOOK_004.jpg
watercolour, coloured pencil. pen. oil pastel

This one is further north in Cornwall, looking inland from the cliff top - I did loads of paintings of the view in the other direction, looking out to sea and the opposite cliff, but not in this book.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2010/53888-charcoal_beach.jpg
this is a big drawing so isn't in this book - it's just to show you the view in the other direction. (charcoal on rough paper)

Yorky
06-19-2010, 04:44 AM
The coloured one is a little beauty Vivien :clap:
(I'm not a fan of charcoal)

Doug

vhere
06-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Doug ............not a fan of charcoal :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D I love it!

but then I love oils and watercolours and pastel ......

Yorky
06-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Too messy :D

Doug

mhimeswc
06-19-2010, 07:13 AM
The colored sketch is really beautiful. I really like the charcoal sketch too - I love the way you did the sky and the reflections. I'm not a fan of USING charcoal for the reason that Yorky mentioned, but I enjoy looking at charcoal work by other artists. LOL

Joan T
06-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Viv - I'm slowly trying to catch up on the journals that have already started but that I've missed. I'm so glad to see yours. The sketches and paintings from Cornwall are awesome. I can't get over the vertical one with the rocks and water. Sam's book is wonderful!!! What a great idea! And then there are your collages....Wow!!!

robertsloan2
06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Your multi media sketch looking inland is gorgeous! I'm amazed at how well you got all the buildings - again, your perspective is fantastic and I know you just sketched what you saw. The colors are great. The feel and depth of the landscape is wonderful. So many buildings, all done perfectly and the trees, the mass of trees is so beautiful.

Your big charcoal sketch of the view out to sea is magnificent. Sometimes charcoal has its own grandeur and you pushed it to its limits in this one. Again, the sense of depth is glorious. That sky is so great too.

Davkin
06-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Great stuff as usual Vivien! You are quite adept at a variety of media. I've only played with charcoal a little and didn't really care for it at the time, but when I see works like yours I know I need to give it a real chance. Just so happens the next chapter I'm going into in the Draw What you See book is one charcoal.

David

DrDebby
06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
The color sketch is awesome. The sky and the reflections in the water in the charcoal drawing are wonderful.

vhere
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM

'too messy' is what one Obsessive-Compulsive-Disorder sufferer student of mine says about my work in general Doug - and he Hates charcoal or any messy medium to use so moans bitterly when he has to use it for an assignment! :D

My perspective isn't too bad Robert - but I do struggle to make sure my verticals are vertical! I have a tendency to turn the sketchbook a little when I hold it and they can start to go a little diagonal!

One sketch I did in France across 2 A4 landscape format pages looked great - but when I scanned it then it wasn't right, I was drawing with the book slightly closed in and the drawing only works right viewed when you hold the book that way .....duh! I try to remember that now when I sketch across 2 pages.

AZ Traveler
06-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Inspiring and aspiring, Viv :thumbsup:
Beautiful journal pages ... from another OCD-challenged wanna-be watercolorist ... :wink2:

Delbert

vhere
06-21-2010, 01:07 PM

I've done another illustration for Sam's book in it - him and my other daughter on the beach on a windy day - but the light meant the colours were still beautiful,

I wanted to catch her brisk walk and his windswept exuberance

I wasn't going to put any sky or further sea in but I'm not so sure now - what do you all th ink? Take the colours up higher in the background? or not?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2010/53888-e__caroline_goes_for_a_walk.jpg

robertsloan2
06-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Vivien, I think it's great exactly as it is. You captured his exuberance perfectly and that white sky looks like an overcast sky, perfect. Love the sand color and the sea, that's wonderful.

DrDebby
06-21-2010, 06:14 PM
What Robert said. I think the white sky is perfect for this picture. It looks like an overcast day on the beach.

RiJoRi
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
... I wasn't going to put any sky or further sea in but I'm not so sure now - what do you all think? Take the colours up higher in the background? or not?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2010/53888-e__caroline_goes_for_a_walk.jpg

I find the horizon line pointing into your daughter's throat to be a little disconcerting. Her face, scarf, and the horizon produce a very distinct arrow. Time to use the printer to produce some copies for testing!

--Rich

vhere
06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
good point - mmm think it does need colour going up higher

JTMB
06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Viv,

Your work is great - I particularly love the seascapes! As to charcoal, I think I'm more schizo than OCD - I love the results and barely tolerate the mess...:lol: !

Jakesgram
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Vivien, your work is lovely! I'm still catching up, so I've seen several entries at once this morning. Love the lino and especially love the negative painting COAST experiments page. What a great idea to test out new paper. I've not used charcoal and probably would find it messy, but I love the results you got from it. I especially love the way you handle shadows and reflections in the charcoal sketch.

Very nice work!

Jean

vhere
06-23-2010, 05:54 PM
thank you :)

charcoal is gloriously messy! but so flexible, so easy to erase and change and push about - you can get intense darks and the softest pale greys and erase whites 'drawing' with the eraser. I love it. You do need to work on a larger scale though,

Klandestineone
07-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Gorgeous paintings. Keep 'em coming.

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Vivien - I also find the horizone line going through your daughter's shoulder a little distracting. But this whole journal is awesome! Love the sketches with people in them but in fact I love all your sketches.

vhere
07-05-2010, 02:53 AM
It does so a little less in real life - the scanner didn't pick up the really pale washes - but I will take another look at this because I totally agree with your point. Off to work now to a really lovely class of students - last day of term for this group.

virgo68
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Vivien, your students are very lucky to have you! I've just caught up with this sketchbook, it is another winner and the storybook for your grandson will be a great keepsake for years to come.

vhere
07-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks Jackie :) I'm lucky to have my students too!

vhere
07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_july_10_with_a_r_sam_002.jpg

This one isn't actually in the Canson book - it's in my new A4 moleskine - but I've added it here because it's part of the series done in Cornwall.

I also did a watercolour in the Canson of the same beach but from slightly higher up the valley

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_july_10_with_a_r_sam_004.jpg

details:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_july_10_with_a_r__detail_7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2010/53888-cornwall_july_10_with_a_r__detail_8.jpg

Porth Nanven is a lovely little steep V shaped valley, where a small stream tumbles down to a small beach.

It's done in watercolour with a little coloured pencil

Davkin
07-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Great stuff as usual Vivien. Your open air sketches are an inspiration.

David

DrDebby
07-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Great stuff. The scene is just gorgeous in both versions.

vhere
07-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Thank you both :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_july_10_with_a_r_sam_007.jpg

This was the lighthouse at Pendeen on a pearly day, the sky blurring into the sea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/53888-cornwall_july_10_with_a_r__detail_1.jpg
detail

It's watercolour with a bit of oil pastel and some coloured pencil plus ink

virgo68
07-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Beautiful stuff Vivien!

TaniaBee
07-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Vivien, your entire sketchbook is amazing, the seascapes are breathtaking and i just love the paintings of your family and outings. Beautiful!

mhimeswc
07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
I like that black and white sketch in your Moleskine, as well as the w/c versions. Great sketch of the lighthouse. You are so lucky to have access to such beautiful scenery. Keep them coming.

Whisperwood
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Awesome as usual!

robertsloan2
07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Vivien, these are so gorgeous. I love the lighthouse, its structure is unique compared to the American lighthouses I've seen in references, paintings and a few in life. Beautiful building. The valley of Porth Nanven looks so beautiful. I like the A4 sketchbook version too, thanks for comparing them. The panoramic watercolor's so expansive, I love the way you did it as a two page spread. Strong color, great values and accuracy make these incredible.

vhere
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Thank you everyone :) I needed cheering up

I did have to travel 325 miles or so for the beautiful scenery! but it is so worth it :)

We have some pretty scenery locally - but not to compare with this

This lighthouse is a funny little short one Robert - ours are usually taller but similar. It's a very dangerous coast with rocks that wrecked many ships in the past.

It's famous for wreckers and smugglers. The wreckers would sway a lantern on the clifftop and the ship out at sea in the dark would think it was a lantern on another ship, closer to the shore, meaning they were safe. They would then go in closer and be caught by the rocks. The wreckers would collect the cargo as it washed ashore - dreadful times but life was very hard.

To see some beautiful paintings of Cornwall it's worth googling Sarah Wimperis and Kurt Jackson.

DrDebby
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Lovely lighthouse. The sky blending into the sea is spectacular.

christinemlr
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Superb sketches Vivien. And thank you for showing the close ups and the B&W Moleskine sketch to compare with the watercolour. Your sketches just breathe with the air of the Cornish coast. They transport me there. I really love the lighthouse sketches. I know exactly what you mean about the pearly day. I see pearly sea days here in Wales and they are the most beautiful of days to wonder at.
Xina

vhere
07-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Thank you both :)

Where are you in North Wales Xina? my daughter went to university in Bangor and I love North Wales - a fantastic area to paint

Here's the lighthouse the following day from slightly further away - the light and colours were very different. The photo isn't great

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/53888-e__pendeen_lighthouse_001.jpg

and details:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/53888-e__pendeen_lighthouse_004.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/53888-e__pendeen_lighthouse_002_detail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/53888-e__pendeen_lighthouse_005.jpg

the shine on the water was partly done with a gorgeous pearlescent pale turquoise Sennelier oil pastel - which doesn't photograph very well because it's reflective.

I used a fountain pen in this one but I don't much like the scratchiness of the nib. I need to find my Rotring art pen - another fountain pen but not so scratchy and hard.

virgo68
07-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Great stuff, I love the way you are doing the scene from different viewpoints. That pale turquoise is "yummy", lol - couldn't think of a better work for it!

Whisperwood
07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
These SO remind me of home!

DrDebby
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Gorgeous. The water going from dark further out to shades of blue-green as it's closer to land is superb.

vhere
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
thank you all :) - Cornish seas really are the most beautiful colours, constantly changing

vhere
07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_july_10_with_a_r_sam_005.jpg

This one is a very quick one done with watercolours, pencil and Caran d'Ache II

It's an old mine engine house on the moor, from the tin mines that flourished in this part of Cornwall for a time but they were abandoned when the price of tin fell and it became uneconomical to continue. Life was very hard for the miners and their life expentency was low.

DrDebby
07-23-2010, 09:59 PM
How quick is quick? You have an amazing amount of detail in this one. So interesting about the tin too.

Whisperwood
07-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Yes I'd like to know the same thing! This is very detailed and so pretty with the flowers in the front and love the little fence off to the side. Very pretty :-)

robertsloan2
07-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Vivien, the mine engine house is striking. Thanks for including its history along with the gorgeous painting and the foreground mass of flowers. It's good to know it's been shut down.

vhere
07-24-2010, 05:03 AM
probably about 10 -15 minutes max - it was very quick to do with the Caran d'Ache and water. I do tend to work quite fast.

It does look a bit like a fence - but those lines are actually more distant stone walls in the fields beyond. It's on the edge of the moor so the field boundaries are stone walls built with rocks cleared from the fields. Flowers colonise them where there is shelter. They are also very twisty so driving is slow and careful!

Lower down (altitude) the stone walls have earth banked over them and bushes and wild flowers cover them - they are really beautiful. Minor roads are only just over a car width with the banks high on each side so the wild flowers are right up to your car windows and the ferns brush the sides as you drive through. Every so often there is a little passing place that allows you to pass oncoming cars (or when the walls were built, a cart!). I once met a TANKER down one and had to reverse for half a mile because no way were the passing places wide enough to pass a tanker. That was awful!

This isn't one of the narrowest, or the ones with the highest banks, it's up on the moor and there is a lot of gorse in the hedges up there and not quite so many wildflowers. That's the sea ahead with the horizon blurring into the sky high up and a lighthouse on the cliff. You can see the stone walls dividing the far fields. You can see the tufts of grass growing in the centre of the road - just wide enough for one vehicle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2010/53888-e__CORNWALL_MAY_2010_VIVIEN_0_copy.jpg

There's a mining museum at Geevor Robert, near the Crowns at Botallack. You get to go down the narrow shafts and they tell you the history and all about the mines. It was very hard and very sad. The land and sea would have been so polluted and scarred then too.

robertsloan2
07-24-2010, 02:52 PM
This photo is so fantastic. I love the stone walls piled with earth and overgrown with flowers, they are charming. Wonderful scene with the sea and the lighthouse in the distance. I hope you paint this scene. I hope you share it too so that I can paint from it. Can I?

Whisperwood
07-24-2010, 04:46 PM
probably about 10 -15 minutes max - it was very quick to do with the Caran d'Ache and water. I do tend to work quite fast.

It does look a bit like a fence - but those lines are actually more distant stone walls in the fields beyond. It's on the edge of the moor so the field boundaries are stone walls built with rocks cleared from the fields. Flowers colonise them where there is shelter. They are also very twisty so driving is slow and careful!

Ok that makes sense! I've seen to many ranch fences in TX for too long :lol: !

You could have taken that photo on Guernsey - exactly the same, stone walls/banks included! Love the tiny lanes... no wonder I cycled everywhere! And our local traffic jams were cows being herded from one field to another... out the field... down the lane... turn into another field! If you're behind them you have not choice but to be patient cause you're not going anywhere for like 10 -15 mins LOL.
Love these views you're painting for us :-)

DrDebby
07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Wow, that is fast. Thank you for answering. The photo is wonderful with the high banks of flowers. Backing up for 1/2 a mile! :eek:

vhere
07-25-2010, 07:00 AM
I think Guernsey looks beautiful. It is somewhere I'd love to go.

Yes the backing up was sheer hell Debby! If you meet anyone on the roads like the one in the photo someone has to back up to a passing place.

Robert you are welcome to paint from it :)

I love the moors nearly as much as the coast with little stone farms built into the landscape, huddling down against the winter gales. Gales come straight off the Atlantic and are fierce.

Further up on the moor is Lanyon Quoit (http://www.stonepages.com/england/lanyonquoit.html) in one of the fields - the ancient stones that I drew earlier in this book in charcoal. You have to climb a stile over one of these walls to see it.

robertsloan2
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you! It reminds me of some places I've been, but I can't remember exactly where. It's so beautiful and the road leads deep into it so it'll make a fascinating composition.

christinemlr
07-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Thats a lovely sketch of the old mine engine house Vivien. I wish I could do a sketch that captures so much so quickly. The photo of a Cornish road winding through the glorious verdant countryside is good, and sets the scene of where you are, but how much better the sketches are in capturing the feel and shimmering beauty of that particular landscape in summertime.
Xina

TaniaBee
07-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Vivien, great sketch and beautiful colours!! really like it!

vhere
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM

Well I played with painting from that photo today - I prefer working from life but it isn't really practical sitting in the middle of a road :cat: and anyway I'm 320+ miles away now :(

So here it is - again it's watercolour with coloured pencil tweaking, pushing darks, adding detail, glazing over colours etc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2010/53888-e__lane_from_moor_to_pendeen.jpg

I used a bit of artistic licence, missing out telegraph poles and altering angles a little

That's Pendeen lighthouse off on the far cliff, that I painted earlier from close up

Whisperwood
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh wow - I think I like this better than the photo!!! Wonderful job! Love those sunny gorse bushes... I can smell the coconut now... :)

DrDebby
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Beautiful interpretation. I agree with Rachel, this is better than the photo. It looks much better without the poles and wires.

vhere
07-27-2010, 06:05 AM

it's all still very fresh in my mind so I can remember it and add in what the camera can't cope with in contrasts of light - like losing detail in the shadow and brightest areas. The painting is much more how it is to be there than the photo.

robertsloan2
07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
This is so beautiful. I love what you did to get the white flowers, they come out so natural and gorgeous. Cool that you removed the telephone poles. Thank you for letting me try this painting too, though I don't think I can come near what you've done with it.

robertsloan2
07-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Sorry about the double post, my access burped.

deb789
07-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Well I played with painting from that photo today - I prefer working from life but it isn't really practical sitting in the middle of a road :cat: and anyway I'm 320+ miles away now :(

So here it is - again it's watercolour with coloured pencil tweaking, pushing darks, adding detail, glazing over colours etc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2010/53888-e__lane_from_moor_to_pendeen.jpg

I used a bit of artistic licence, missing out telegraph poles and altering angles a little

That's Pendeen lighthouse off on the far cliff, that I painted earlier from close up

Lovely!

vhere
07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
thank you :)

I'm sure you'll have fun with it Robert - don't forget, I had the advantage of having been there. It's much harder to paint what you haven't seen yourself I believe.

Vivien Maloney
07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Gorgeous painting Vivien. With your work, I feel like I'm there and actually looking at the view around me. Great work, I love it.

christinemlr
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
How wonderful to transform what the camera saw, into what you saw - and felt being there in a small painting. I really like the way you've got that little lighthouse in the far distance drawing the eye beyond the road and out towards the enticing unseen coast. The abundant hedgerow is heady. captured beautifully with your brush and pencil marks. :clap:

Xina

mhimeswc
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Your sketchbook painting is much more interesting and lively than the photo. I love the texture in the foliage - left foreground.

vhere
07-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you everyone :)

I really wanted the viewer to feel they were there and what it was like so I'm really really happy if that is coming across :)

Christine showed some beautifully neat colour swatches and someone said theirs were too messy to show - mine too!

These were some scribbles and an experiment when I bought some Inktense pencils

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/53888-e__cornwall_canson_book_002.jpg

I am not good at neat :o

Davkin
07-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Nice little experiment Vivien. I have some Inktense and watercolor pencils as well as Graphitint, I guess I should play with those a little. I haven't commented in a while but all your water color sketches look great. On the last sketch, how did you do the fine blades of grass, CP?

David

vhere
07-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi David - it isn't just one technique but a whole tangle of them!

I scribbled lots of the pale foliage in first and then later went back in painting the negative spaces.

I also used a white pen for the very very fine marks and a candle as a resist for some.

Other bits are coloured pencil.

Here is a close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/53888-lane_from_moor_to_pendeen_detail_1.jpg

you can see the tangle of marks - you are seeing it much bigger than life size as it's about 2 - 2.5 inches out of the actual page.

I keep meaning to do progress shots but get so absorbed I forget!

DrDebby
07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I will say that even your "mess" looks lovely. Thanks for the close up. It's interesting to see just how you got your foliage to look so convincing.

Whisperwood
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I wish I could make messes that look that good! :lol: :thumbsup:

rmcbuckeye
07-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Amazing. :)

Davkin
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi David - it isn't just one technique but a whole tangle of them!

I scribbled lots of the pale foliage in first and then later went back in painting the negative spaces.

I also used a white pen for the very very fine marks and a candle as a resist for some.

Other bits are coloured pencil.

Here is a close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2010/53888-lane_from_moor_to_pendeen_detail_1.jpg

you can see the tangle of marks - you are seeing it much bigger than life size as it's about 2 - 2.5 inches out of the actual page.

I keep meaning to do progress shots but get so absorbed I forget!

Wow Vivien. I sure would like to see a tutorial or WIP of how you create all these wonderful foliage effects.

David

virgo68
07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Vivien, thanks for sharing how you do the foliage, it is great to see it all close up. The negative space painting is so effective and something I have yet to master.... on the list of things to get better at! I like the colours in this painting - reminds me of summer (grey cold skies here at moment so it cheers me up looking at summery paintings :) )

vhere
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
It's worth looking at a patch of tangled undergrowth as an exercise in negative painting in your sketchbooks. It is time consuming as you have to wait for things to dry (I'm not the most patient) but you can work on an unattached piece of the image while it dries. Or sometimes use a hair dryer - but not if you want graduated areas of colour to settle unevenly, which I often do.

One thing I never do is lay a base colour down all over as it kills what you then paint over it somehow and means you can't get the same variety of colours.

I'll try to do a step by step when I can - warning: it goes through some very messy, ugly stages on the way!

virgo68
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
A step by step would be great to see Vivien, I am working on a watercolour for a friend at the moment and it is still in the "ugly" stage and want to throw it away, but each time I add a little more it seems to say to me "not yet, give me another chance!" (a fairy sitting among flowers and foliage - so I will watch to see what you do...... ;) )

Sonia
08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Vivien, I like the vibrancy of all your sketches (and have kept a regular eye on your blog for quite some time). The explanation of how you paint tangled vegetation was very helpful. And yes, a WIP would be even better!!

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Vivien, that foliage is incredible. I love the detail and texture, the overall light-dappled sunny green feel of it. So loose and so effective. magnificent!

vhere
08-06-2010, 04:36 AM

No painting at all going on for the last few days as I've been working horribly long hours covering a colleagues classes while she's on holiday :(

virgo68
08-07-2010, 07:03 AM
what a shame! Life does have a habit of getting in the way of art sometimes, doesn't it? lol! ;)

vhere
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
because WC lost all the images :>( I'm not sure if I showed you this one - but I don't think I did

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2010/53888-e___sam_with_his_yellow_spade_evening.jpg

It's an illustration for Sam's book - him playing on the beach in the evening. The sea was silver when you looked towards the low sun, though still jade and viridian if you looked the other way. The distant harbour wall was just a silhouette and his spade was luminous with the light shining through it.

DrDebby
08-10-2010, 04:09 PM
That is a great beach picture with Sam. You have painted your description perfectly.

virgo68
08-10-2010, 11:13 PM
gorgeous - very light and fresh - perfect for a young subject!

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
That beach picture with Sam is tremendous. I love the way you captured the light in it, both the backlit luminous shovel and the silvery reflections on the sea. It's wonderful. I hope Sam appreciates these!

Whisperwood
08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
wow - beautiful! I love those "silver seas"!

vhere
08-12-2010, 01:15 AM

I'm a bit scarce at the moment as I'm covering classes for a colleague as well as my own and it's exhausting me!

robertsloan2
08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck with it - hope you have more time for sketching soon.

mhimeswc
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I love the evening look that you have captured, as well as the action of the little boy digging in the sand. Sam will love this book. :-)

DrDebby
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
No worries, take your time, rest when it's over. We'll still be here.

vhere
08-13-2010, 05:04 AM

JTMB
08-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Vivien! Checked in on your journal again, and am wowed (or is that wow'd) - ok, I'm really impressed :) - with your watercolor sketches. Landscapes are my primary subject (plus birds in the journals, of course) and you do a fabulous job with your watercolors, regardless of whether you're doing a small painting of a large scene, or a smaller slice of life. These are great!

vhere
09-04-2010, 04:14 AM
thanks John :)

Life got in the way recently with long hours of cover for colleague and family health issues - I have to get back to painting again now

I had been hoping to have a week in Cornwall painting with friends but I don't think it's going to happen :(

Talley
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi Vivien,

I'm new to this thread but just wanted to tell you how inspiring your watercolour book is. I've enjoyed looking back through this thread and am amazed at how well you capture a moment. I especially like the one of your daughter and grandson on the windy beach. Thanks for sharing them. It makes me want to get out my sketchbook and get to work.
kate

vhere
09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
thanks Kate :)

Do get your sketchbook out :)

vhere
09-22-2010, 10:56 AM
most of the images have been safely put back, though some are still missing - anyone interested can see them here (http://sitekreator.com/viviensketches/cornwall.html)

Bootz
09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
There is something so sweet about that beach scene!

vhere
09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
thanks Bootz :) they were illustrations for a book for my grandson to remind him of family holidays

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
So cool seeing so many of them grouped together. My favorites are still the surf on the beach scenes, those are amazing.

09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
ALL OF THESE ARE AMAZING WORKS, each deserving to be framed proudly!!!!!!

I LOVE the mixed media work, especially the fact that you are using oils in the sketchbook - my favourite way of working as they dry faster than normal!!!!!

vhere
09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
thanks Stacey - oils are great to use on paper aren't they :)

09-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I know using oils on unsized/gessoed paper is far from archival, but hell, I ain't gonna live to see them fall apart, and with modern technology as it is, no doubt in the future, there will be a way to save those sketches/painting in journals that are worth saving!!!!!

vhere
09-28-2010, 02:35 PM
well - it was good enough for Degas and Toulouse Lautrec :) and they are still ok (maybe down to curators?)

vhere
11-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I've been doing a series of small canvasses based on the sketches in this book for an upcoming exhibition and decided to manipulate some of the images in the computer, changing them, to make into cards

These are some of the ones I've done

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2010/53888-E__1_sennen_cove_view_from_house_wcoL4PRINT_woodcut_effect.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2010/53888-E__Copy_4_of_sennen_cove_surf_may_09_ragged_edge.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2010/53888-E__overlay_2_ragged_edge.jpg

this sketchbook is earning its keep!

virgo68
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Very nice Viv! Technology today is so handy and useful for the artist to manipulate works ;)

JTMB
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Each of these conveys a mood very nicely!

WYSIWYG
11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I quite like those - they certainly make fantastic cards! What a neat idea... the layout for them suits their mood as well.

DrDebby
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
These are gorgeous. Wonderful use of technology.

vhere
11-24-2010, 04:32 PM

the west coast does get its fair share of moody weather :)

seejay
11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Glad this one came up to the top - lots of great images, great atmosphere.:clap:

Whisperwood
11-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Love these!

vhere
11-29-2010, 03:29 PM

The exhibition is this weekend and I have so much still to organise! so my november page a day just didn't happen :>(