PDA

View Full Version : All-Media Book started 2006...

Pages : 1 [2]

virgo68
06-29-2010, 07:59 PM
What an interesting page of images - the colours on the shell are particularly eye-catching and the glass bottle stopper is great!

robertsloan2
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you!

Rachel, it does help in predicting the weather. Everyone in the family has had some back trouble from it this time, my son in law and daughter also felt it in the past few days. But today was better. Whew! So glad you liked the tiger's eye. I've been fascinated with it all my life but didn't know how I could render it till very recently, this one is my best go yet.

Debby, you are so right. Pinecones are difficult. That was a pain, but I started really pushing on them about a year ago and finally got it. You'll get it sometime if you slow down and do it very carefully, look for the shapes of light and dark and get them in. They look like they'd be easy but they're not.

Jackie, thanks! I love doing glass, it's not that hard once you start to get it. Especially if what's behind it is simple.

robertsloan2
06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2010/70184-Hunt-182-13.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 182, #13: Soft
4 1/2" x 9"
Derwent watercolour pencil, dry (black)
90lb cold press watercolor paper.

Couldn't resist drawing Ari again. He went to sleep conveniently in sight and he was so cute. Then he moved, so I sketched just his face.

prismalos
06-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Awesome pages! As I like prehistoric creatures or their evolutions, I am instantly a fan of your Mastodon and animals like that cougar.

The mineral's shine is great! It's always interesting to see how you deal with colors for varied sketches. Thanks for sharing, man.

robertsloan2
06-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Thank you, Raymond. Look close at the tigereye and then at a real one. On the real one, there's vertical fibers that shimmer dark and light, plus the horizontal bands. I used vertical hatching in a sepia pen and a brown pen to capture that shimmer before doing any watercolor. Then washed all of it with Quinacridone Gold, which is more transparent than Yellow Ochre but pretty much a gold colour. Then while that was wet I dragged other earth colours across it to form the bands, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber matching the actual hues of the particular tumbled and polished tigereye I was looking at.

Try that or something like it in your sketchbook, especially with a tigereye cabochon or slice. Maybe you could put it in a big amulet or something. I thought it might work and the experiment was very successful -- but you need the gold in first and then the other colours into it, to give it that brightness.

I'll be doing more prehistoric animals, definitely. I love them and it's about time I did some.

DrDebby
06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Love Ari sketches.

robertsloan2
06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Debby, thank you! Here's the rest of Page 53, with some cat sketches from imagination and a woolly rhino. Raymond, thanks for the suggestion. The woolly rhino is for you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-53.jpg
All Media Book, Page 53
9" x 12"
Watercolor pencil (dry), pigma micron pen and watercolor
90lb cold press watercolor paper
Woolly Rhinoceros sketched after an illustration by Dougal Dixon for The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Life.

DrDebby
07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Great seeing your wooly rhino. The cartoon like image of the cats is interesting. Is that a mouse or a smaller cat between them?

virgo68
07-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Another great page Robert, my favourite are the black cats - one looks like it is thinking "eh..." and the other "come on, come on, let's play"

mhimeswc
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hmm...I didn't know there was such a thing as a wooly rhino. LOL Cute cat silhouettes.

robertsloan2
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Thank you! Yes, Debby, it's a smaller cat between them, about kitten sized in relation to the black ones. Looks to me like the big one's swatting the kitten and playing. The kitten has points like Ari.

Jackie, thanks! Yep, that's just what I thought. The kitten in between is rolling around either having just been bowled over or rolling on its back to begin swatting at the big one.

Mickey, the woolly rhinoceros is a Pleistocene animal. There were a lot of cave paintings of them along with the mammoths and mastodons, they were found in Europe and I think also in North America. I was always fascinated with prehistoric animals and will do a sabre tooth cat sometime too.

I sketched Ari again tonight just to keep up, going to be trying for daily sketches this month -- at least a three minute cat gesture. Which is what this is, directly sketched with pen and then watercolored. He was sleeping on my bed and didn't move for three minutes.

I'll have to reboot and add the sketch in by editing, my scanner software got hung up. Ugh.

Here we go, rebooting got the scanner online again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2010/70184-Ari-Sleeping-July-1-2010.jpg
Another Sleeping Ari Sketch
2" x 4"
Pitt Artist Pen and Koi watercolors
90lb cold press watercolor paper. From life, of course.

vhere
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
:) love that rolling kitten

DrDebby
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Ari must not have been sleeping very long, he doesn't have bed head yet. Beautiful as always.

robertsloan2
07-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks! Oh yeah, he was looking sleek that time. Hadn't rolled around much yet.

Here's two more for the same page.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/70184-Egg-CP-challenge-july.jpg
Egg
2" x 3"
Derwent watercolour pencils (dry)
Photo reference by Mustcreate

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/70184-Flower-Yellow-Pansies-WDE-July-2.jpg
Yellow Pansies
6" square
Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watersoluble crayons & wash
Photo reference by edtree

mhimeswc
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I like the way the egg came out with the w/c pencils - it glows!

DrDebby
07-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Amazing how something so simple can be a challenge. Great job on the egg. The flowers are lovely.

robertsloan2
07-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you! I had a month to study the egg reference, thought the challenge was over but they extended it. Love how that turned out.

robertsloan2
07-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Finished the page today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-54.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 54
9" x 12"
Watercolor, Pitt pen, Pigma Micron pens, colored pencils and Neocolor II
Photo references for yellow pansies and Big Ears the tabby/white cat by edtree. Photo reference for egg by Mustcreate. Fish is from imagination. Ari cat (Siamese at top) from life.

I like how the monochrome Sodalite Genuine cat came out, that was a cool balance of tonal areas with the white bib and face and dark back. The photo sort of did that but I accented it and simplified the background to a gradient.

vhere
07-03-2010, 04:34 AM
another good page - especially the egg, subtle and the reflected light underneath is lovely.

DrDebby
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Great page. The monochrome kitty is lovely. Your imaginary fish is very realistic, I wouldn't have known it was from imagination rather than a reference. Very good job.

Joan T
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Robert - Your sketches are overwhelming!!! There are so many of them that I just looked at the sketches and ahd to skip the writing, or I'd be here forever. Wonderful yellow flower and that rooster a while back was awesome!!

robertsloan2
07-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Thank you! Debby, I've been working on fish gestures for a while now, though I made up all the details the gesture is one I've done many times before and seen in multiple references. I'd like to get to where any fish I do from imagination comes out looking true. Also to where I can remember their markings and details the way I can with some birds.

Vivien, thank you! The egg was fun. I love that reference, the real challenge was just using violet and yellow for it. I could have brought in a black pencil and a white one too but decided against it with how I was doing it.

Joan, thank you! I can understand not being able to comment on everything if you're catching up from that far back, but so glad you leafed through to enjoy all of it. I'm still keeping on!

Today I did the other cat from the WDE -- but the Uploader isn't working. So I'm going to have to attach it and hope that WC gets it fixed soon before I finish the page. Attachments are annoying.

Chloe Asleep is 6" x 7" in Derwent watercolor pencils/wash on 90lb cold press paper, photo reference by edtree for the current WDE. It came out darker than life in the scan, I didn't use any black but mingled browns and grays for her neutrals, the original's a bit softer.

robertsloan2
07-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Goldfinch, 4" x 5" in Prismacolor colored pencils on 90lb cold press watercolor paper. Photo reference by Stalksthedawn.

DrDebby
07-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Cute kitty. Tho' not as cute as Ari. The bird is very well done.

virgo68
07-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Robert nice work! The cat in particular, almost looks like it could be a monoprint - or is that just how the scan comes out on my screen?! The goldfinch is very cute and would make a lovely card..... :)

robertsloan2
07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Thank you both! The original's a lot softer than the scan of the cat. I'm not sure how it came out so dark when scans usually lighten what I've drawn, but it did. It's pretty cool though.

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 02:01 AM
At last! Finished Page 55 with the Pen & Ink Challenge piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2010/70184-Hollyhock-PI-challenge-July.jpg
Hollyhock
3 1/2" x 5"
Color Pigma Micron pens size 05 (dark green, pink, orange, yellow) and watercolor
Photo reference by Carol_Lee.

Page as a whole:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-55.jpg
All Media Book, Page 55
9" x 12"
Derwent Watercolour Pencils and wash (cat)
Prismacolor Premier colored pencils (bird)
Color Pigma Micron pens and watercolor (flower)
Photo references by edtree (cat), Stalksthedawn (bird) and Carol_Lee (hollyhock).

vhere
07-04-2010, 05:57 AM
beautiful hollyhock - those trumpets aren't the easiest shape to show but you've done it really well

I've got its cousin a Lavatera in my garden, flowering now.

jacquip
07-04-2010, 06:23 AM
You are so busy with your art work. I love it. And you do so many of the different challenges throughout the site, I don't know how you find the time. Great pic of the cat, so peaceful. The finch had lovely colouring, very good flower too. As always love them all.

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Thank you both. Vivien, that's so cool. I bet they're beautiful.

Jacqui, I've got nothing but time, since I'm full time disabled. If I can do it without getting up out of my chair then I can get it done, but even taking a shower leaves me completely wiped out. Cleaning up my own room is a no-go. I have been trying to build it up lately, do more than one sketch or good piece in a day though my minimum is to try for at least a two minute cat gesture or something that easy.

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Robert - I'm trying to catch up with some of the Journals that I haven't seen for a while. I'm overwhelmed by how much art work you do, and it's all awesome! I've seen your Scavenger Hunt items in that Forum but they are just as good seeing them again! I haven't seen a lot of your WDE sketchs and I like them so much as well. I particularly liked the one of the mountain-lion up the tree, but there are so many great ones - too many to mention all. Wonderful work.

kevinwueste
07-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Robert - great to see all you are getting - with so much energy and passion - in to your SB's ! nice work! - kw

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Vivien and Kevin, thank you!

Another page for today, worked a bit larger and did only two pieces for it. Some of the very lightest lights dropped out in some of the shadows on the pears but it's otherwise a pretty true scan.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-56.jpg
Pears and Geese
9" x 12"
Derwent watercolour pencils and wash
90lb cold press watercolour paper
Photo references by edtree from July 2 Weekend Drawing Event.

mhimeswc
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I love all the new sketches - the cat is purr-fect! The Hollyhock, bird, pears and geese are excellent too.

virgo68
07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Love the page with the hollyhocks, cat and goldfinch - very nice! The pears look so inviting, that page is very pleasing also.

virgo68
07-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I also meant to comment on the scan of the cat. I see what you mean about the darks on the previous scan now, however I like both scans for different reasons! I think it could be very interesting to play around with the images on screen and print them out - one drawing could come out so many ways it would be fun to make something of them all.... ;)

robertsloan2
07-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Mickey, thank you! So glad you like today's page too. I was having a rough day so I wasn't sure it was really up to snuff.

Jackie, thank you. That's an interesting idea, playing with the scan settings and printing out a painting in more than one way. I might try it sometime, though I don't usually print out any of these. I try to keep the amount of printouts I do to a minimum, since I've got enough storage problems with finished art.

Right now I'm working on Page 57 and have watercolor color mixing demos on it. More like the stuff in the Water Folio but I was using a Koi set so I decided to do it in this book instead. It's fun. My cat is in my lap or I'd keep going with it, might not scan and post till tomorrow depending on how long this cat sleeps and when I get sleepy enough to crash.

He's settled down and completely relaxed, it's a great feeling having this special time with Ari. So I treasure it when he does want lap time. He gets some priority sometimes.

Here it is - Page 57 with all the demos!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-57.jpg
All Media Book, Page 57
9" x 12"
Sakura Koi 12 color pocket box pan watercolors
Color wheels and paintings from imagination, Ari cat profile from life while he was on my lap.

TaniaBee
07-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Robert - your WDE pictures are gorgeous. I love the cat - when i saw that i knew you would give it a go. all your drawings are stunning as usual. i particularly like the cat & flower & bird & pears & that's all of them isn't it... good job!!! love looking at your art.

TaniaBee
07-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Didn't see this colour study & the colour wheels - great page and i like how you've created browns using different colours.

Thanx for this informative page too.

DrDebby
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
The flower, pears and geese are just great. You always make your colors so vibrant and lively. The informational page is great too. I like when you do these, it helps me learn more about different media.

robertsloan2
07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Tania and Debby, thank you! I'll do more of them. Water Folio has quite a few too, color explorations with specific pigments. I've gotten so used to the color wheel and color theory that I always think of that, but I know there's always someone who can benefit from seeing it... and I remember what it was like when I first heard about it.

The teacher in my grade school or kindergarten, something like that, explained the color wheel. Red and blue made purple. But the paints we were using had a very orangy red and so the red and blue made gray instead. The teacher explained that was how the specific pigments reacted, but didn't have a cold red to get a brilliant purple with. Ever since I've been fascinated with pigments and how they mix.

I'll definitely do more of these, and others on various watercolor or ink techniques. I'm getting a lot out of Claudia Nice's book but I've also got a few other tricks I could put in.

virgo68
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
loving the earth tone colour wheel and the pumpkins, definitely appealing to an "earth sign" LOL! The richness of colour on the pumpkins says "eat me"!

robertsloan2
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Jackie, thank you! I had fun doing the pumpkin with just earth tones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2010/70184-Flying-Cat.jpg
Flying Cat
6" x 9"
Pigma Micron pens and Winsor & Newton Artists' watercolor
Photo reference by wazabees.

Here's the photo reference if you don't believe it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2010/70184-funny-pictures-cat-comes-to-save-day-Wazabees.jpg
"Here I come to save the day!" by Wazabees from DeviantART.com.

TaniaBee
07-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Love this - can you believe they can stretch their bodies that far!!

Good job!! :)

Whisperwood
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Wo - had to catch up from page 55, got seriously way behind!!! Fantastic pages Robert! 55 is beautiful! Hope you had a great July 4th weekend :-)
PS - did I tell you I received my D. watercolors x 72? ! :D Haven't used them yet but will play with them soon! :)

virgo68
07-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Robert, hehehehe your sketch is way more amusing than the photo, love it!

robertsloan2
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank you! I loved that reference from the moment I first saw it -- and I have seen Ari stretch out that far, it's amazing how elastic a cat is. Or how fast he can bunch up into a round little ball of fur. But I never managed to get a photo of him at full stretch extension and the sketch was so much fun to do.

Rachel, congratulations on your new supplies! Can't wait to see what you do with them. I think you mean Derwent watercolor pencils, right? That's also a palette of 72 separate watercolors, albeit most of them mixed-pigment colors, that you can do so much with as long as you've got a wet brush.

Here's the finish on Page 58 after the Flying Cat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-58.jpg
All Media Book, Page 58 with Neocolor II Demo and Flying Cat
9" x 12"
Pigma Micron pen, watercolor and Neocolor II watersoluble crayons

I got my 20 new colors in Daniel Smith watercolors today, they are great. I didn't realize till I got them here and spread them out that I'd gone completely around the color wheel and this batch would be a decent set in itself. Just need to find a palette or two to keep them in. I'll be doing the paint-outs in Water Folio and post as soon as I've finished the first page of Color Explorations.

DrDebby
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Love the flying cat! So fun. Great information stuff on the flower paintings below it. That cat sketch could be a stand alone painting (with permission from the photographer of course.)

vhere
07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
he just needs a little cape flying in the wind behind him!

............. supercat

robertsloan2
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you! LOL Vivien, yes, I should do another version with the little cape streaming behind him! I might too, it'd be fun.

virgo68
07-08-2010, 04:45 AM
I like the little demo bottom left - that is exactly how I "paint" with my water soluble ranges of pencils!

robertsloan2
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Thank you! When you're doing that, what you have in essence is a watercolor pans set and it goes a long, long way. It's definitely painting.

Vivien Maloney
07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I Like the pears in the window, really good values on them. The geese are great too, you get such good color on your sketches. The Hollyhock sketch is gorgeous, such bright color. I think your pen work is awesome and you have prompted me to try using pens. Your demo page is very good, the color chart works well. Nice cat "flying" sketch - interesting to think they can stretch out so far.

Anne-Marie
07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Robert!

WOW! So much to see and to catch up on.

I just love your journal. I love the ink work and the ink-and-watercolor combination that you use. It so suits you and the work that you do! I also like the wide variety of subject matter you undertake, and the notes and stuff that you make. There is something about writing and painting, together, that is fascinating--the way they enhance one another, a kind of right brain/left brain kind of thing.

I love the flying cat and agree with Vivian--he just needs a cape to be a Superhero!

TaniaBee
07-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Great finish to your page Robert - I also use my Derwent Aquatones like that, brush on colour stick & paint!! Thanks for sharing - always great to look at.

robertsloan2
07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Thank you!

Viv, it's a lot of fun using pens with watercolor. The more I do it, the more I like the results even more than either used alone. Give it a try. I usually sketch lightly with pencil first, correct the sketch in the inking and erase the pencil lines, then use watercolor, then add more pen work or more watercolor glazing if I think it needs it.

Anne-Marie, that's interesting you'd say that. I'm also a fiction writer, something that definitely takes both left and right brain working in tandem. My novel writing process is intuitive and reflexive, but I know there's a lot of left brain stuff going into it as well. It doesn't surprise me that would come out in my art as well. I'm enjoying doing these pages.

Tania, that completely makes sense. AquaTones are very easy to use that way, they're a lot of fun. I sketch with them too sometimes.

Whisperwood
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
The flying cat is great!!
And yes, sorry I should have said Derwent Watercolor PENCILS! :-)

Jakesgram
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Robert, you are achieving such bright, clear, beautiful colors. I love the whole page with the flying cat. The bluebells are exquisite!

That cat reminds me of one night when my big bruiser cat was leaning against the screen in my front window and accidentally pushed it out, falling just a foot or so to the ground. He crawled under the evergreens under the window, but meanwhile my other cat heard the rucas and he FLEW through the living room and out the open window. Yikes! The second one out was such a baby all I had to do was open the front door and he came flying back in the house and hid under the bed. But poor big bruiser cat (named Trouble - that's him in my avatar) could only figure out that he needed to get back in the way he went out. Poor guy keep jumping against the glass in the picture window instead of going through the open space on the side of the window. Eventually he gave up and hid under the shrubs. I had to lay in the gravel for 20 minutes trying to coax him out with kibble bits. In retrospect, it was funny, and neither was harmed, but I felt so bad for both of them and they nearly scared ME to death with all that flying around a screeching! :lol: :lol: :lol:

robertsloan2
07-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Thank you both! Jean, that's hilarious. Poor cats! They don't always get it about glass. So glad you rescued Trouble even if it took twenty minutes of coaxing.

Reminds me of a time Ari got lost inside the building I lived in back when we were in Minneapolis. He got into the basement rafters and I had to climb over washing machines into piles of junk to get at him and coax him out, then carry him up six flights of stairs.

Rachel, you're going to love those Derwent watercolor pencils. They have a wonderful texture and intensity, not quite as insanely strong as Inktense but fairly close and much easier to control. I was going to wash this, but decided to keep it as a drawing instead since I liked the rough texture.

It's the only thing on Page 59, under it I just wrote a caption with the date and event and whose reference I used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2010/70184-Charging-Rhino-dry.jpg
Charging Rhino
8" square approx.
Derwent watercolor pencils used dry
Photo reference by just_chaos for Weekend Drawing Event July 9, 2010.

Anne-Marie
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree, Robert, the rough texture on this one really suits the subject. I also really like the background you employ: the stipple of green, red, blue and yellow-orange. Its different and made me wonder if you do the same thing when you apply the wash? Does it start out as a multi-color stipple?

Also: where oh where did you get the new Derwent pastel pencils? I've looked everywhere and can't find them . . .

robertsloan2
07-09-2010, 11:03 PM
The background isn't multicolor stipple, it's Raw Sienna over graphite. I just turned the point on its side and sketched soft broad strokes to make cloud shapes. The graphite looks purplish in relation to the raw sienna though. On the rhino himself, I used Payne's Grey, a warm brown, a cold brown, a cold gray and some touches of black, so that had elements of blue-violet and red and gold involved.

I do sometimes do a multicolor shaded background before washing, if I want a mixture instead of a pure color though.

I got half a dozen Derwent pastel pencils as a sample from Derwent to review them. I think Blick has the new formula now though. Email them and ask. When I did they said they'd get the new formula in June or July, so they should have them now unless there was some delay. Make sure to mention that the tin on the pastel pencils new formula has a picture of Venice and a gondola on it rather than the field of poppies on the old formula (that's what's shown on the website page).

mhimeswc
07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I commented on your rhino on the WDE thread, but I like him so much that I thought I would comment again. Awesome!

Joan T
07-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm laughing at your flying cat!!! I love the page with the hollyhocks and the cat and bird. Great sketches!! Gotta go before that rhino gets me.

robertsloan2
07-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank you both! I did the rhino again today, experimented with just working from my sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2010/70184-Charging-Rhino-Mono-Black-Watercolor.jpg
Charging Rhino II - Monochrome Black Watercolor
7" x 8"
Winsor & Newton Lamp Black Artist's watercolor
From previous sketch from photo by just_chaos.

Here's the full page as I laid it out, with the text under it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-60.jpg

DrDebby
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Both Rhinos are great. But, I have to admit to liking the drawn one better than the painted one. Maybe it's the difference between color and monochrome. Dunno.

virgo68
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I like both Robert, but the pencil one looks a little more livelier than the wash, but that one is much looser and moody - so depending on the effect you wanted to try to achieve they are both winners!

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Thank you both! I like both of them in different ways and like a couple of other series I've done, I may do at least one more in a different medium. It's the most active, aggressive animal photo I've had to work from and it's full of excitement for me. I feel it's got the key to some of the types of illustration I'd like to do.

mhimeswc
07-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Robert, my 11 year old grandson said that your rhino drawing is the best drawing on the whole WDE thread. :-)

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow, thanks! That means a lot to me. Gives me hope that the eleven year old in me isn't completely crushed, that I've still got that boy's outlook.

robertsloan2
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-61.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 61
Assorted life studies of a homegrown tomato and some shells
9" x 12"
Derwent watercolour pencils (new formula)

The more often I sketch the same object in the more different mediums, the better an understanding I have of its shape, texture, highlights, shadows and hues. Moving it around to get it from different angles helps too. A little reflected light from the table and from objects near it show on all three of these renderings. Look for that when you do spherical objects.

DrDebby
07-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Love your notes on your sketches. These are very nicely done. The shell on the bottom right in particular.

jacquip
07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Your shells are so good. I read all the notes and am learning heaps. Now to remember to put it into practice. Thanks for a wonderful sketchbook. You could turn this into an actual book to sell.

robertsloan2
07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you both! Jacqui, that'd be a trip. I wonder if North Light would be interested in something like this, all these ones with the notes. I was half considering the Water Folio as something to try to sell to them. All Media Book has some pages that aren't as good as others, but I suppose in a printed volume it could be just the best of it.

I have to say, I'd love to sell a book to North Light. It would be very cool.

Anne-Marie
07-12-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm loving that big tomato--it has a special vibrancy that I'm attributing to the yellow highlights in addition to the white highlights. Very cool.

I do think a book would be a fantastic outlet for your work, Robert! A book with your illustrations and your notes! It would be different than the other how-to books out there--you have a style of combining the notes and illustrations that's all your own. Calling all agents! There's a lot of reader interest here! Scoop Robert up before someone else does!

TaniaBee
07-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Robert - as usual - your page is a delight to look at!!! This is a great life study and you're right about doing the same object over and over, you get better & better at it!!

Your Shell on the bottom right hand corner is my favorite, you've done the texture of it so well!! BRAVO!!!

jacquip
07-12-2010, 05:47 AM
You could maybe look at a combo of both books together. They are both definitely worthwhile. I'd give you a reader reference for sure.

Scattykat
07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Robert, another great pack of info, full of useful stuff and great cameos, where do you get your energy? Havn't read through all of this one yet, but shalll pop back now I know its here, thanks for sharing this...

Aiylah
07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Impressive sketches, studies, drawings, paintings :D I particulary liked sleeping Chloe, the cougar and the lilies way back. Oh and the "flying" cat, haha, you're right, they are quite elastic animals! Sometimes I think of them as the "dancers" of the animal kingdom, so elegant too.
The rhinos are both great, I prefer the pencil one but I like both!

robertsloan2
07-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Yikes, I lost my replies twice now. Very frustrating. It might be something to do with the WC servers, I got a FastCGI Error page.

Aiylah, thank you! So glad you liked all of those. I'm getting more confident about doing animals every time I do, the rhino was a big step forward for me. Capturing it in action like that was a thrill.

Kat, thanks, but I have no energy to speak of. What I have is time, all the time most people waste doing things like earning a living and having a life. Out of an entire day, I manage to get an hour to several hours of drawing or painting and the rest of it's just watching Netflix and hanging out online. Drawing and painting don't take getting up so I can manage them even on most bad days.

Jacqui and Tania, thank you! I'm getting thrilled at the prospect. I started doing this mostly to build up my skills but if my notes are that useful, I might have to do it. I took a webinar on submitting books to North Light, so I've got all the submission information. I've seen books in this format before, I think there were some travel journals and watercolor sketchbooks that they've done. So this could be a really good idea, something to launch me into a real career instead of just living on disability.

Whisperwood
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Great Rhino's Robert! I love all the different ways you can do the same subject. I love the drawn one too, lots of detail. However, I really like the black watercolor one because it really gives some "weight" to this beast! Looks like he's charging me! Awesome!

Whisperwood
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
OK, I hear your frustration Robert! I just posted this last post because it showed the rhino's as the last page, then when it shows up after I hit enter it was on page 22 which hadn't shown up till just now!!! ???? So - Pg 61 is great also, those tomatoes are making me hungry... :-)

robertsloan2
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Yesterday's sketch is at the top left of the page -- absolute minimum for my daily sketching habit. It's a two minute gesture sketch of my cat's head while he was on my lap. He moved fast but I got him in while looking at him from that angle, his eye didn't show because the fur on top of his head stuck straight up shading his eye.

Today I was still feeling lousy so I just fooled around with the Sakura Koi watercolors, using the waterbrush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-62.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 62
9" x 12"
Derwent watercolor pencil and Sakura Koi watercolor pans

I'm also starting in on yet another art journal -- a 20 page Pastel Journal that will get its own thread. Probably not a very long thread compared to these since it's only got 20 pages and I won't be using both sides of them, but a fun one nonetheless. Watch for it, I've got the first page taped up and ready to prime with the sanded Colourfix primer!

jacquip
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
The quick sketch of Ari is lovely. Sorry to hear it has been a bad day. Hope you are feeling better today. I'll certainly keep an eye out for your pastel journal. I've only tried using them a couple of times very unsuccessfully so am sure to learn lots.

Whisperwood
07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Hope you feel better soon.
Love Ari's sketch and that tomatoes shine & color is wonderful! :-) Great marbles and flowers too... I have some morning glory vine growing up my mailbox, its not in flower yet though :-)

DrDebby
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry you are not feeling well. Ari's sketch is great. The paintings are wonderful. You do have a way with color.

mhimeswc
07-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I too am sorry that you aren't feeling well. I'm looking forward to seeing your pastel journal.

robertsloan2
07-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Thank you! I finished a big step towards doing my pastel journal today. The first page is primed, so I'll scan it before I start and post a WIP on the first post of the thread. It'll be fun. I might have some oil pastels paintings in it too, the same surface is good for both.

Vivien Maloney
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Love the tomato on the previous page, it's just luscious! These latest sketches are great too and more so as you were unwell - hope you're feeling better now Robert. I'm looking forward to your Pastel Journal. As you know I'm a pastel artist and this will be a good one from you (but then all your Sketchbooks/Journals are great!)

robertsloan2
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you! This morning the primed page was completely dry, so I scanned it as the first image of the WIP for the Spotlight painting I'll start it off with. Then I went back to pen and watercolor for today's art, if I don't feel good enough to start tackling the pastels I can at least do a good page. It turned into a demo because of how the painting fit on the page, I had a space under it so I showed stages on how I painted the petals.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-63.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 63
Nasturtiums Demo
9" x 12"
Color Pigma Micron pens and Sakura Koi 24 color pocket pans set
Photo references (multiple) from Gary Greene, Artist's Photo Reference: Flowers.

mhimeswc
07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Pretty nastursiums. I have that book too, but haven't looked at it for a while. I'm working on a half sheet of tulips that have that coloring in them.

Whisperwood
07-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh I love nasturtiums! Lovely and bright! Also, can't wait to see your new pastel journal!

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you both! Michelle, that book can be very useful for getting the anatomy of flowers right. He provides so many different angles on them that if I want to put together a still life, it's not hard to recompose them.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll get going on my pastel journal! If not I'll keep sketching, just keep sketching, till I'm up to it.

TaniaBee
07-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Lovely nastursiums - i like your stages at the bottom!!

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Thank you! The space was there and I realized that was the perfect way to finish the page. I used to have a lot of sketchbook pages where there'd be extra space on the side or the bottom or the top but not in a good way. Too much of it to just balance well, too little to include another drawing. I'm getting better at that sort of thing now.

This page is an experiment in composing an entire scene from imagination. I studied some sample sketches in How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm, one of several drawing books by that author that I love so much I wear out multiple copies. I was looking for examples of cats in motion and was charmed by one, but changed the pose a bit as I changed his balance. I think I also changed his gender too by making his muzzle chunkier, cheeks and neck bigger -- he's a big ginger tom, lean and healthy. I changed the kitten's pose too and adjusted its age a little, added the tail sticking out to the side.

I sketched all of it out with HB pencil lightly. Did the cat going down first, then put an angled step instead of a shelf and decided to experiment with perspective putting him on steps. Then I added the kitten to give him a reason to go downstairs. The page wasn't balanced so I added the planter in the lower right and the clumps of weeds coming up in the crack between the patio and the stairs.

The scene as a whole is an exercise in imagination and perspective. Like the brontothere in my other sketchbook, I just blocked things in and then refined them. Finally I went over the whole with Graphitints to create a multicolor line drawing, then decided softening and intensifying it with a wash would look good on this one since it was so light.

I used water to bring up more of the pigment from his outlines on the ginger tom, so that he has some more modeling shadows than he did in the outline.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/70184-Cat-and-Kitten-Scene.jpg
Cat, Kitten and Planter
9" x 12"
Derwent Graphitint watersoluble tinted graphite pencils
Sketch references for cat and kitten adapted from examples in How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm. Everything else in the scene including its composition is from imagination.

Whisperwood
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
LOVE this! Oh this is so nice to look at, very balanced! Love the pot at the bottom with the plant hanging over the edge! That kitten looks like he's been up to no good... maybe he broke that plant in the pot? LOL!

christinemlr
07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi Robert, this latest sketch is great. Looking at it makes me chuckle. Unlike whisperwood, to me the tiny kitten looks so innocent. What is that big Tom going to do? Give it a swipe for having the effrontery to sit on the bottom step as if he/she belongs there? The little thing looks mesmerised by that plant, with no idea of what is horribly imminent. You've drawn that tomcat fantastically well. It just says cat power.

I have started reading through this thread of your All-Media sketchbook but only got to page 4 so far, there's SO much in it and its totally fascinating, packed with such a diversity of amazing stuff. Just this thread alone would make a brilliant book.

I made a comment for you in a post in my thread. I hope you read it.

Is this still the same sketchbook you started with? Looks like a really good book, do they still make them?
Xina

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 06:27 PM
You're both right!

Rachel - yes! The kitten does look as if it was responsible for chewing up and mangling the plants in the planter. It looks like it's considering round two.

Xina - yes! The big ginger tom looks like he's about to turn mischief kitten into his personal tumbling cat toy.

I had fun with this one!

Xina, I'll go read your comment in your thread. Thanks for reading through mine even though it's getting so very long -- this book has a lot of pages. I'll do a new thread once I finish it.

Yes, I bought a replacement from Blick. It wasn't where I expected it to be under Watercolor Journals, it's listed under Wire-Bound Sketchbooks. Canson Montval Field All-Media Book is what it's called. It's $20.00 even, and has a lot of good 90lb cold press pages. 50 sheet pad bound with extra wide spiral binding so that it lays flat no matter what part of the book you're in. The covers are good heavy hard covers, just wirebound rather than book-bound, so it can scan easily.

I like the Canson Montval paper for all-media paper, it's good and strong even though it cockles a little under heavy washes. It's sized enough to give a texture that I like for using wet mediums. I bought the other one with 20 sheets of 140lb paper to use for my pastels journal, but this one is my reliable All-Media beat it up and paint in it book. I don't feel bad about ruining pages or trying out different things in it even though it's expensive - it has so many pages that I just relax about it.

I think they added a few more though or I wound up tearing out some pages back when I was using it before. Might have been the latter when I first got it, pulling out pages with bad drawings in 2004 and 2005 so that I wouldn't be embarrassed showing it to people. My new one does have 50 pages and this time I won't rip anything out.

This is the latest thing I did in it -- not the full page, but several hours of work that I'm a bit proud of. I have been overtired and achy today, since the pain didn't let me sleep at all last night. When I feel like that I swing one way or the other -- very quick loose mediums like the cat on the stairs sketch, or settle down to noodle over something slow that most of the process is mindless Being Careful.

I didn't expect to get the colored pencils itch, but I'm glad I did. Unfortunately the scanner still won't show all of the subtler hue variations in it, this one has lots.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2010/70184-Coloursoft-Tomato.jpg
Tomato from Life - CP
Approx. 3" x 4"
Derwent Coloursoft colour pencils and Derwent Blender (the soft one)

DrDebby
07-15-2010, 07:16 PM
The nasturtiums are great. I especially like you showing the process on the petals below. Even if I wasn't keeping my own sketchbook (sort of) I'd come lurk to read and see what you are doing.

Cat confrontation is great. You seem to be getting to that point that you can work and adapt from any reference to get exactly what you had in your minds eye. Maybe, someday, I'll get there.

The tomato is very richly done. You just know it's going to be perfect and juicy when you slice it open.

robertsloan2
07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, thank you! I've been trying to do more of these demo type things, as people are enjoying them and trying them. I'll definitely keep it up!

Thank you so much for all these comments. I think that focusing on sketching for over half a year is what's made it possible for me to start bending references like that or doing without them. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it, so believe -- you will get to that point, where if you've seen it you can draw it and if you can work it out you can draw it.

One of the things I'm thinking of doing is taking my sketchbook into the bathroom and sketching out the faces, creatures and forms I see in the swirly irregular pattern of the vinyl tiles. It's fairly light colored but there's enough value changes to really set off my imagination. From one angle an area looks like a face, from another angle it's someone bent over. That sort of thing. I think that'll be good training for the imaginative leap, since that's pretty much what I did when I went from rhino to brontothere.

robertsloan2
07-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Here's the finish to page 65 -- a demo using the same colored pencils, just this time using only a 12 color set so that people with smaller sets can still give it a go.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-65.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 65 with CP Tomato Demo
9" x 12"
Derwent Coloursoft colour pencils and Sakura Pigma Micron pen
From life.

mhimeswc
07-16-2010, 08:14 PM
That tomato demo looks really great, Robert. What kind of paper did you use. I haven't worked much with colored pencil and I didn't even know there was a blender. I occasionally use my watercolor pencils, and I do own red, yellow and blue Prismacolor pencils, but I only remember using them once. I never got anything to look as smooth and vivid as your tomato.

DrDebby
07-16-2010, 08:33 PM
You're making me hungry for tomatoes. LOL Great demo.

robertsloan2
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
It's 90lb cold press watercolor paper, it has a strong texture and it's heavily sized for painting. The book is Canson Montval Field All-Media Book, $20 from Blick. Canson Montval watercolor paper in other forms will have the same texture, and when it's 140lb paper it won't cockle as much with washes.

Prismacolors would be good with this demo. Just be sure to get a colorless blender. You'd have a harder time getting the colors mixed by layering with just primaries, but you might be able to do it if you use the blue lightly alternating with yellow for the green. It would probably depend on the exact hues of red, blue and yellow that you have. Also a white pencil is needed for the highlights -- go over them with white first, then lightly with the red and then again with the white, alternating till you get the right value of pink for the soft highlight and the edges of the strong one.

Davkin
07-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Great tomatoes Robert! You CP guys have the patience of Job. :lol:

David

robertsloan2
07-17-2010, 01:32 AM
David, you're right about that. Colored pencil is a slow, relaxing medium. It's good for relaxing and detailing over and over with different layers. Clean, compact, can be done in front of television, but it's slow. I tend to work small when I do it because of that.

I'm in awe of people like Gary Greene who can do that over an entire sheet of watercolor paper and build up a complex painting with 20-30 layers on everything. It's beautiful, but there's a reason he doesn't do as many paintings as say, a pastelist.

christinemlr
07-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Robert, when I saw your tomato posted on the 15th, I was so impressed by it I couldn't get it out of my head. Its little firm plum shiny redroundness kept popping into my head at odd moments in the day and I would think I must tell Robert how special that little drawing is, how wonderfully done, and I wondered how did you do it? And lo and behold! A tomato demo and its an absolutely excellent one. I don't normally like to follow the 'this is how you draw step by step' instructions, because I think they can limit the creative point of finding your own way, but in some cases knowing a technique will save a lot of frustration and disappointment. I'm definitely going to practise this demo, but I didn't realise how long I would have to devote to it. I would expect to do a tomato in a few minutes, but you say several hours!! Oh my, thats dedication, but it shows in the result, the depths in those reds are stunning. THANK YOU By the way I don't possess a blender, could something else be used as a temporary substitute?
Xina

robertsloan2
07-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Xina, yes, you can use the white pencil as a blender. The only difference is that after burnishing with the white pencil, you need to go back and restate the main colors again. Not the complement for the shadow usually, but the reds and oranges.

There are other variations possible in the color mixing too. Go lightly with the green for the core shadow deepest darks, because it comes out very strong especially on the scan. The larger a set you have, with more variations in reds and oranges and magentas, the easier it is to get a rich result.

Try it with a real tomato if you want. Look at my pencil sketch as a diagram of some color and shadow areas. Then do your own tomato, mapping it out the same way according to how your light falls on it. When you alternate different reds, they keep their intensity and develop a rich depth. This page looks much better in person than it does in the scan -- since I have my webcam out, maybe I'll try for a photo instead to see if that captures the depth better.

Here we go. I took a photo and played with it a bit in Gimp to try to give it as good a color rendering as I could. I think the hue shifts on the tomatoes are a lot easier to see in this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Tomato-Demo-Photo.jpg

Vivien Maloney
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes Robert, I agree. The shade shifts ARE easier to see in this one, especially stage 3. I find that scanning often blocks subtle colors out But whichever one you like better, the whole page of tomatoes is great.

christinemlr
07-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh yes, the photo pic makes it easier to see and understand. Good work. I'm going to have a bit of challenge with this because my 24 tin of coloursoft is a bit limited in the red range it only has ONE red!! (Red C120) I have a few polychromas with 2 reds, cad light and madder, I suppose it would be ok to mix them? Robert what kind of paper do you find coloursoft work best on?
Xina

vhere
07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
great series :)

that top left tomato looks positively 3D and as though it's sitting on the page

robertsloan2
07-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Thank you both!

It's okay to combine different brands, Xina. Also oranges and yellows over the reds are good, and if you have a magenta, count that as a red. It's important to have a cold red in there. If you have a dark red like Prismacolor Tuscan Red or Coloursoft Burnt Carmine, that's good in the shadows too. Or red-browns and golds. I use most of the warm colors I have in whichever set I've used. Magenta with yellow or orange over it gains a warm cast immediately but stays redder than red under the same color.

Here's another page, this time in watercolor pencils. Again the scan seems to have flattened some of the colors, but it still comes close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-66.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 66
Still Life with Apples, Tomato and Glass Water Jar
9" x 12"
Derwent watercolour pencils (new formula) and wash
From life.

virgo68
07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
continuing on with great work Robert! I like the texture you have left showing through this one. I find reds and yellows quite difficult to work with but yours always look good ;)

DrDebby
07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Nice still life. The apples look as yummy as the tomato. So, for the finale are you going to do a series on the cut tomato before you eat it? :lol:

Jakesgram
07-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm officially jumping on the "Robert should be publishing art books" bandwagon. I LOVE the style of your work and the format you are closing in on of including diagrams, WIP's and notes that show the reader how to "get it." You have so much knowledge and I very much appreciate that you share it so freely here and in the other forums. I don't know anything about the art "business," but I do know useful, interesting information when I see it.

Speaking of which, I love, love, love the tomato page. I had kind of figured it out on my own, but I wondered for a long time how to get that beautiful, red-red with so much depth to it. I knew it had to do with glazing many layers (I do mostly watercolor), but was not sure what colors in what order, etc. While you showed it in CP, a similar concept holds true for watercolor. Not only is that page beautiful, it is so helpful as well. Thanks!

Also love the cat / kitten confrontation. Great work pulling that from a reference, tweaking it from memory, and filling in with imagination.

I'm so sorry that you often have such bad days. I know that chronic pain is difficult to live with, but I applaud your attitude and determination to use your coping skills to get you through the bad times. The silver lining is your ability to transform yourself into an amazing artist and you clearly gain so much joy and satisfaction in the process.

Looking forward to seeing the new Pastel Journal.

Jean

Vivien Maloney
07-18-2010, 04:13 AM
Gorgeous, luscious, juicy apples Robert!

robertsloan2
07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you so much! Sorry Debby, the tomato's gone downstairs and been cut up and cooked into Mexican food by my daughter. I can't do a sliced one in my room, it would rapidly become a sticky mess because there's no place to put it. I never eat them raw anyway, just like how they look.

Jean, thank you! I'm planning to put together a portfolio of some of the best pages and send a presentation to North Light Books. I had some other plans for a North Light book but everyone's response to these watercolor and watercolor pencils pages has got me thinking I've got one half finished as it is. The one thing that keeps my text short is writing it by hand on the pages.

Of course they might get rid of my scratchouts and substitute a nice font for my handwriting on the texts, lay them out a little better, but as I've done them at least they're legible.

Jackie, reds and yellows are a lot of fun. I've noticed most colored pencils sets are heavy on them with very subtle hue variations sometimes, so I had to start getting used to handling them. Part of the trick is layering, part of it is knowing the reddest pencil or wash is going to overpower any yellower one so I need to reserve yellows the way I'd reserve white in some other color arrangement.

virgo68
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Of course, when you think about it, it makes perfect sense which order to use the colours, cool vs warm etc or light to dark (similar principals for watercolour or cp's) so I don't know why reds scare me so much lol! Maybe I need to come up with a girl for the "series" surrounded only by red or yellow flowers and get over my phobia lol!?!

Whisperwood
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Awesome pages Robert! I'd buy one of your books for sure! (but would definitely want a signed copy! :D )
:thumbsup:

TaniaBee
07-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Awesome page robert - i love the reds and oranges!!!
As always, i like your illustrations at the bottom with your steps in how you did things and achieved a certain look to your painting.

robertsloan2
07-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Wow, thank you! I'll want to get a bit farther before I send anything in to North Light. I have high hopes though!

robertsloan2
07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
This makes three journals touched on in one day. I think it's going well!

Back to the watercolor pencils, at least one of them. In my 72 color set of Derwent watercolor pencils I got two Delft Blue pencils and no Light Violet. Blick thoughtfully sent along the Light Violet, so I wound up with an extra Delft Blue pencil out on my table in the pencil cup. I love it as a monochrome color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/70184-Blue-Page-All-Media-67.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 67
The Blue Page
9" x 12"
Delft Blue Derwent watercolor pencil
Photo reference for tuna, Shark Week 2009 video "Great White Appetite"
Photo reference for Asiatic Lily by Shirl Parker.

DrDebby
07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
That's just water color pencil? It looks enough like your ink and wash that I was thinking there was ink involved as well. Really like Mr. Turtle.

Whisperwood
07-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Ooooo I like this!

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Thank you! I discovered when I went to number page 67 that page 66 was upside down. Oh well! There's got to be some weird error like that in any sketchbook, right? At least I'm using both sides of all but one page.

I like doing monochrome blue with the watercolor pencil. When I use strong lines and a medium wash without scrubbing, I can keep the line elements distinct and give that "pen and wash" look with the same technique. Also the color's very close to many blue ink pens.

Whisperwood
07-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes it reminds me of that lovely royal blue ink I used at school in my fountain pens!
I've been adding my color charts to the back of my journal lately, had never done that with any of my pencils and so now its fun to see them on a page - so colourful! I'm getting to the water soluble ones now and i'm excited to see how they look with water cause i've still not done anything serious with them yet and only played with a few colors. Can't wait to get to the Delft blue watercolor pencil!

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you! I loved that royal blue ink, had cartridge pens with it and eventually bought a bottle of it for piston fill fountain pens. Now I think it'd look even better doing a wash with it, that'll be a lot of fun.

Color charting can be inspirational. I sometimes look through my color charts when I'm bored and don't have an idea for what to paint, seeing the colors ranged like that will usually stir my interest by itself. I'm not sure if Delft Blue is in the smaller sets -- but I'm very, very happy with the 72 color full range set of Derwent watercolor pencils. If you can get it, that's fantastic.

I did another page in this today, used a photo reference book for the two birds and then did the tiger from the July Pen & Ink Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-68.jpg
All-Media Book Page 68
Birds - Derwent Watercolour Pencils and wash
Tiger - Pigma Micron pen size 05 plus Daniel Smith watercolors
Photo reference for birds, Bart Rulon "Artist's Photo Reference: Songbirds."
Photo reference for tiger, Canis_Lupess from WC.

DrDebby
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Lovely birds. That tiger looks very satisfied about something. Great use of pen and wash.

mhimeswc
07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Pretty yellow birds. The goldfinch is the state bird of New Jersey. Love the tiger. I'm going to have to try that quin. burnt orange.

virgo68
07-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Robert these last few pages are really starting to suggest a theme - hoping I have the right gist of it here - is it analagous colours you're using? The blue page was very monotone but the red and the yellow pages have that bit extra to them. I am very taken with the goldfinch - yellow is not a colour I am often attracted to but this little sketch is suggestive of older "vintage" style illustrations (that I love and am very drawn to!). I wonder how a sepia colour scheme would work with a touch of the lovely golds and yellows you have here?

Whisperwood
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
- "but I'm very, very happy with the 72 color full range set of Derwent watercolor pencils. If you can get it, that's fantastic."

I did get them in the end! Oooo they're nice! But first I have to get the colors charted in the back of my little moleskine! I have all the others done now, just have the D. Watercolors to do. Just little squares of color all over the pages! Its amazing what you learn about the pencils just by doing the charts though.... some are smooth, some dry etc... I've really enjoyed doing them! I'll post them once I get it done.
Your goldfinches are wonderful, such a cheeky look to them! And the tiger! Great stuff! (don't show Ari though, he may get jealous of you drawing another cat!) ;)

robertsloan2
07-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Debby, thank you. I love relaxing with pen and wash, it's a familiar medium that goes back to childhood for me.

Mickey, thanks. Definitely try the Quinacridone Burnt Orange, it's so transparent yet useful in all the ways Burnt Sienna is. I love the color. You can get it cheaper in the Secondary Triad from Daniel Smith along with very dark Undersea Green and strong brilliant Carbazole Violet. All useful colors.

Jackie, if there's a theme it's unconscious. Every day I'm just looking for what I feel like drawing or painting, but I do like strong colors and harmonious color schemes. I've got a complementary scheme in the birds with the violet undertones on their branch and their strong yellows. Yesterday was one of my favorite monochromes. The tiger I just looked at the reference and decided Quinacridone Burnt Orange was the best match to his natural hue.

Rachel, congratulations! Have fun charting those. It's good when charting to do a little rectangle and wash over half the patch so that you have an idea of how it looks dry, how it looks full strength wet and how it looks when you drag color off the patch to show it thinner. So that's really a three-spot patch per color. Definitely post your chart!

So glad you like my goldfinches. I saw a lot of them as a kid around the bird feeder behind the house, they're quick and cheeky birds. Ari likes seeing cat pictures, even if they aren't of him. Though I'm not sure he realizes just how large tigers are, may just think of them as extra burly cats with different markings.

Vivien Maloney
07-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Love the birds and the tiger. I saw the tiger on the Watermedia Forum and admired him there as well! Did you put your pen work on first or did you do the watercolor wash first? I didn't know quite what to do, when I was doing it and was at a bit of a loss, so mine was a bit hit and miss and I made lots of mistakes with him.

robertsloan2
07-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Pencil sketch > corrected by erasing > corrected by inking > watercolor wash > possible extra inking details > possible second watercolor details. That's my method with pen and wash. On the tiger I didn't really do the second round of pen and wash, he looked fine when I finished the initial wash.

It's much harder for me to paint first and then do penwork to accent it. It also comes out different when I do, more of a watercolor effect with fewer pen accents. It can work either way, but I've got 45 years of experience with pen work especially with technical pens and less than a decade of decent watercolor painting. So naturally I'll go for pen work first usually.

TaniaBee
07-22-2010, 04:01 AM
WOWWA WEE WA!! these are great!!

Those birds are so beautiful and you've captured their gorgeous colours and almost floaty free spirit!!
The tiger is just stunning!! i love him!! the markings he has are just perfect!!

Whisperwood
07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Rachel, congratulations! Have fun charting those. It's good when charting to do a little rectangle and wash over half the patch so that you have an idea of how it looks dry, how it looks full strength wet and how it looks when you drag color off the patch to show it thinner. So that's really a three-spot patch per color. Definitely post your chart!

So glad you like my goldfinches. I saw a lot of them as a kid around the bird feeder behind the house, they're quick and cheeky birds. Ari likes seeing cat pictures, even if they aren't of him. Though I'm not sure he realizes just how large tigers are, may just think of them as extra burly cats with different markings.

Regarding the color charts, I agree, it is more a 3 spot patch... however I was trying to get them all on one page or facing pages so didn't have to much room, but definitely showed at least wet and dry and was able to drag a little out on some of them to get it lighter! But i've not done the D. Watercolors yet so will try to get 3 patches!
LOL - picturing Ari looking at the Tiger picture and "poofing" himself up!!!

robertsloan2
07-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh he does! He's a big cat to begin with but he's super fluffy on top of being a 15lb male. So he comes off like a giant cat. He has huge feet too with extra tufts of fur between his paws. I love his big soft feet.

I only did half a page today, because I spent a lot of time organizing my supplies. I managed to clear out half of my closet and retrieve a short bookcase that's now over next to my taboret, extending my supply shelving. So here's a heron and a scribbled bit of dirt and rocks and sand demonstrating a mixed color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-69-Top.jpg
Heron, Sand and Pebbles
5" x 9"
Daniel Smith watercolor sticks used as watercolor and Pigma Micron pen
Photo reference for heron by murfslaw.

Whisperwood
07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Nice!!! Love herons, but only as long as they stay away from my fish pond! I know, they have to eat too... but theres tons of catfish in our local park lake, they don't need to go for my Koi!!! lol. Your heron is beautiful and I do like all the colors on the ground! Nice colors in the rocks too :-)

Carole A
07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Robert - The information you provide with your journal pages is priceless. Thank you so much for your contributions to the rest of us.

:clap:

Carole A

TaniaBee
07-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Love your Egret - those colours are gorgeous!!
i also love reading your comments & the process - it's so educational for all of us reading it. thanks :)

DrDebby
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
The egret is wonderful. I like your rock study too.

jacquip
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
More wonderful work. Love the birds and further colour experiments. The tiger is wonderful too.

robertsloan2
07-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks! Today I got going on the closet again, spent some time with my granddaughter, and did an Asian painting experiment in this All Media Book to finish page 69.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2010/70184-All-Media-Book-Page-69-all.jpg
All-Media Book, Page 69
9" x 12"
Pigma Micron pen, Daniel Smith watercolor, Sakura Koi watercolor (black)

Whisperwood
07-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I love the balance of this page, it just all goes together so well on the page! The black bamboo really make the heron and the stones stand out! Great page :)

robertsloan2
07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Thank you! I'm so glad it worked. When I do that style, I paint fast and intuitive, stop when it's done. There's no planning, just doing it.

TaniaBee
07-26-2010, 07:50 AM
your Asian painting is superb!! No planning - eek!! i would be a bit nervous, but yours came out perfect!!! love it

DrDebby
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
No planning? Wow. Looks marvelous.

robertsloan2
07-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks! I used to get much more lopsided layouts, but I did these so much it was like the way people doodle. I got very used to the strokes.

christinemlr
07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes its a striking page with the Asian bamboo sitting so well. I like the egret very much. Are the watercolour sticks different to the watercolours you use in your watercolour Moleskine? Do you take the paint off the stick with your brush?
Xina

robertsloan2
07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Thank you. The egret was a lot of fun to do. The watercolor sticks are exactly the same as the watercolors I use in my Moleskine. I take the paint off the stick with my brush just as if it was a pans set, so in effect it's my Daniel Smith pans set. I've currently got 13 of them and am trying to decide on two more colors because the little cases hold five.

I'm debating between another red so that I've got three versions of primaries, Pthalo Green not sure whether to get Blue Shade or Yellow Shade, and Sodalite Genuine. I use Sodalite Genuine a lot in the tubes so that's an important color. Eh, when I have spending money again, if I've got too much trouble deciding I'll just go ahead and get an extra case. I think they're still doing "buy five, get one free" so that would work with the case I've got.

virgo68
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Robert you are the biggest kid in the sweet shop! Do you buy online or do you get to a "real" store? I just love perusing the aisles, the colours, smells and textures....... aah spoken like a true addict! PS love the egret :)

vhere
07-28-2010, 07:02 AM
you are as bad as me! I daren't look at art supplies, books or plants if I haven't any money! I WILL be tempted!

Whisperwood
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
LOL Vhere, those 3 things are VERY dangerous for me!!! I have no control... :eek:

Robert - I find it hard to believe you DON'T have all the colours! lol. But of course... you have to have them! ;)

robertsloan2
07-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Jackie, I used to love perusing the real stores and still browse if I get a chance to go to one - but it's been years since I could. I tend to just window shop in person and check the Clearance bin, because the online prices are so much better that it averages 50% less when I order from Blick and pay attention to the coupons. I tracked it and costed out my savings a number of times to get that average, between their normal discount off list plus whatever I saved on the coupon and free shipping.

So that taught me patience and is also the reason I've got such tons of stuff. I watch for all the sales and get it on the biggest coupons. I'm practically a stalker at Blick when it comes to coupons. But looking at things in physical stores often gives a better idea of what they'd be like to use. Except that Blick will send samples if asked. I've gotten sample oil pastels, soft pastels, colored pencils, pastel pencils -- anything they have in open stock they'll usually have samples unless it's something like watercolor tubes. Actually I never asked for a sample watercolor, for all I know some companies give Blick little sample size tubes.

Vivien, yep, that's me! If I have spending money, I might as well go directly to Blick unless I want something specific they don't have, like Daniel Smith watercolors or a few things Dakota Pastels and other specialty places have. On the up side, think of all the eating out I haven't bothered with, all the caloric treats that aren't making me fat and all the drugs I don't abuse. There's far worse addictions than art supplies.

I bet if I ever meet the girl of my dreams she'd probably rather go out on a date that starts at a Blick store and ends at a park for plein air than restaurant-and-movie anyway.

Plants even occasionally do that to me too, though I kill them so much that I don't even browse them any more. I'm no good at taking care of them but they're beautiful and so much fun to draw from life if I do have one. I might as well buy cut flowers and be done with it, at least those are supposed to die a week after I brought them home. I tend to feel guilty if it's in a nice little pot and someone else with a sunnier room and better plant care habits would've kept it alive, fed it and repotted as needed for years. I do much better with cats than plants. Partly because I've got a cat. That also accounts for not getting birds or fish. I used to collect dying tropical fish too.

Books are just as bad as art supplies. So sometimes my spending money goes to North Light or Amazon. It's just fun. I still stand by the idea that those are the healthier addictions though, they are simply some of the most cost effective ways to enjoy your spending money rather than just throw it at restaurants or bars. Oh yeah, drinking, something else I don't do very often. Bottle of rum lasts me a year generally. I'll bet a lot of blokes would blow my entire art supply budget on beer, wear it around their bellies and have nothing to show for it afterward except the need for larger pants.

I had a good day today, around three in the afternoon my energy picked up so I got up and attacked my closet. I finished it. I've finally got the easel put away in the back, the big boxes of foam board and mat boards in the back too, other large things stacked in front and the three portfolios with full sheets of watercolor or pastel papers and other oversize things in front where I can get at them easily.

That cost me a lot, my back went whang right about as I finished - but I now have double the floor space I used to in my room and my closet doors open and close easily. I can get at my art supplies and the assorted hobbies like leather working that I don't even do here are stashed way at the back or up on shelves where they're stored for later. As in, later after I move.

Tonight's page is not one of my best. I started with a goldfinch from memory that didn't come out well, not by my standards anyway. So I did my megalodon tooth from life also with the Koi watercolors, that came out fairly decent. Then Sandra on the All-Media Sketching Thread asked about my new Faber-Castell oil pastels so I had to try them. I used the bottom 2/3 of the page for an apple from life larger than life.

Faber Castell Creative Studio oil pastels are part of their illustration-hobbyist-adult student line. Not artist quality but good student grade. A bit crumbly, but nice and blendable. I got six or seven layers on this cold press paper even after the first go at burnishing with a light color, so they go over each other well. They're reasonably opaque but not totally so, I wouldn't go putting on a white highlight without reserving it first. Nice bold strong colors, 36 color range with a good spread of spectrum colors and useful neutrals.

I'll have to attach it because the uploader isn't working yet, but I'm happy with the dented apple at the bottom.

DrDebby
07-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Love the dent in the apple. Definitely true to life. I couldn't tell you if the goldfinch was good or not. But, since it was from imagination, perhaps it's a new species. LOL

virgo68
07-31-2010, 04:21 AM
What a productive day! You achieved quite a bit ;)

I think I might need to start perusing online art supplies, although here in Australia they are definitely not as competitively priced as the US......

Whisperwood
07-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Another great page! Yes, that dent in the apple is the first thing I noticed... I'm like "did he drop that on purpose or was it already dented"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really enjoyed your long post... very humorous! made me laugh the bits about you killing plants and fish! lol.

So - regarding pastel pencils ... how do you like Derwents? Not planning on getting any for a long while, if I do, but was just curious! :D

robertsloan2
07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Debby, I like that. Robert's Imaginary Goldfinch - right. I should check it on the artist's reference book, songbirds - got photos of goldfinches both male and female, plenty of them. Might do one from the book just to compare.

Jackie, check prices at your local Australian online companies. The same logistics apply - physical stores have more overhead paying employees, rents in good locations, electricity, taxes on unsold inventory. Online companies and mail order in general has less expenses for the seller, so they can price lower and get more business. The more business they get, the lower their profit percentage needs to be to get them the same money - I think this is why Dick Blick charges so little for so many things. It's because they sell so much every day.

Mont Marte brand products are student grade, they're comparable to the Loew Cornell brand in North America. Very low prices, but they're not artist quality and when you try artist grade, you know the difference. The up side is that they're so cheap you can do a lot of practice and study with them without worrying about using it up. I've got several of their products that I'm very fond of.

Rachel, I've tried the Derwent pastel pencils, new formula. Derwent sent me half a dozen to test them and I love them, but already have a 72 color set of Cretacolor ones so haven't ordered the big set yet. I probably will though. Wanted to wait till Blick got the new stock in with the girl's face on the tin instead of the field of poppies for the old one. I think more colors are lightfast in the new ones too.

Thanks for the comments on yesterday's paintings! I need to relax and do something good today, resting up from all that closet sorting. I can't believe I managed that. It still surprises me, I think the milk thistle extract is really doing something for my body energy.

robertsloan2
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Today's page in the All-Media Book is just watercolor, not watercolor and pen. I got a bunch of new watercolors including a number of different yellows, some of which I've never tried before. So I used all of the new colors on these fruit and flower paintings from life. 9" x 12" on 90lb cold press watercolor paper.

DrDebby
08-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Is that the same apple by itself as is in the fruit still life? Just curious because they are so different. (Tho' now that I think about it, it could just be the other side of the apple.) It took me a moment to focus on the picture because something looked off. Then I read you hadn't used ink. (Silly me.) Anyway lovely fruit. I like the simple sketchiness of the lilac.

TaniaBee
08-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Robert, great page. i like the fruit at the bottom & the apple on the top.
Very different look when you don't use pen, but really nice all the same.

You got new watercolours - i would love to see your art supply collection cause i can just imagine how much you must have!! (i'm jealous :D )

vhere
08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
nice page :)

Yes I buy most of my materials online. I used to not mind going shopping but these days I hate it! I love choosing online and having it delivered to the door.

The companies I deal with do really good special offers from time to time so I stock up while offers are on.

Books mainly Amazon but sometime bargains on ebay

robertsloan2
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Thank you! Debby, yep, that's the same apple turned around. It's still on my table. When I have one handy I'll do it multiple times. The one behind the orange and lemon is based on a darker one I had a while back, done from memory.

Tania, thanks. Yeah, it looks very different when I don't use the pen work first. It's been a while since I did watercolor by itself, but that's another thing that belongs in this book. I swapped out an extra set of oil pastels and an extra set of Derwent watercolor pencils for these new watercolors.

You probably would get envious to see my supplies stack, it fills up one five shelf bookcase and another little foot wide three shelf one and a taboret. In 2005, I got Social Security and sank the entire back payment into replacing supplies I used to have in New Orleans. By 2008 I had pretty much replaced everything and added a few new things, after that it's all selectively improving on that. Part of it is just that I enjoy so many mediums. Part of it is that I'm housebound and so I never spend it on other entertainments except the occasional book. No movies, no arcade games or amusement parks, no evenings at the pub, no eating out. All my spending money goes to tangible things that are still here in my hands years later.

I'm using it up faster lately though, since this January I've started doing so much more sketching that I'm going through sketchbooks a lot quicker. This past year, almost every order I've got some replacement stuff in it because I used something up.

Vivien, thanks. Yep, it's the same logistic situation. Online companies and mail order in general have a lot less overhead, so they charge less and sometimes get a lot more business. I love choosing online and having it delivered to my door too. Plus they do these big deep discount coupons that I watch for and stock up when they do.

If I were to get to a physical store I might pick up something from the Clearance bin, but probably not get anything else there unless someone else is buying. That's happened occasionally back when I was doing commissions, the buyer wanted to go shopping with me and get the materials for his project for me.

Whisperwood
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
love this last page, beautiful colors!
Thanks for the pastel pencil info too.

hydgirl
08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Great page, Robert! I have been so much out of inspiration to sketch and draw. Looking at your pages, I marvel at how you are constant in filling up your sketch book and experimenting with colors and mediums.

virgo68
08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
In the past when I have looked online, it would be cheaper to order from Blick's in US plus pay the shipping rather than online here in Australia - ridiculous - maybe not enough artists in Oz?!! When I visit the art shop unless it is something I really want I tend to wait for the sales or look in the bargain offers too! I do like the tactile picking things up and looking closely at them..... I buy most of my books through Amazon or Northlight because not only does it work out cheaper for me but you have a much wider range available to you - when I visited the US earlier this year I bought quite a few art books (which filled my suitcase and had my husband and son tutting ;) )

Anyhow, onto your watercolours, I really like the 3 "fruit salad" with the lovely rich indigo shadow - and I like these just as much without the pen as I do with the ones with the pen!

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Thank you! I have to say, this forum has helped me step up my daily sketching from "at least one cat gesture a day" to "usually a page, sometimes two or three pages in a day." The more I sketch, the better I get at sketching.

Jackie, I am not surprised that even with actual shipping costs, Blick is beating out local Australian art supply places. Blick's got the selection and their prices are loony cheap all the time, plus they often do those big coupons. Get a $40 off coupon and that either covers shipping or takes a big bite out of it.

Here's page 73 - all done in Neocolor II wet and dry. Mostly in black but I also used the darkest brown and the charcoal grey. Six items from the current Scavenger Hunt that I'm hosting.

DrDebby
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh, those teeth! Great Ari bits.

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Thank you! I did another page tonight too. My granddaughter came in to watch dinosaurs and paint with her Koi set. She persuaded me to watch the worst holiday-themed kids cartoon I've ever seen in my life, "The Christmas Dinosaur" with her. So I got out my copy of Artist's Photo Reference: Flowers by Gary Greene, opened it randomly and got the page of orchids. I did a page of orchids in Derwent watercolour pencils, washed, while she made up her own dinosaurs and named them and described them to me. She's fun.

mhimeswc
08-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Wait a minute! A little girl is painting dinosaurs, while her grandpa, who loves prehistoric animals, is painting flowers! Something is wrong here. LOL

I think that's great that you paint with your granddaughter. How old is she? Your orchids are beautiful - especially that vivid orange one.

TaniaBee
08-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Robert - about your supply collection - WOW WOW WOW!!!!
Ok, it's official, i'm JEALOUS!!! the next time my boyfriend says "don't you already have some of those" or "Do you really need those" - i'm going to say "YOU KNOW ROBERT HAS A 5 SHELF BOOKCASE!!!!! i'm not even close to that yet, so leave me alone" LOL

I understand though that this is your passion and so you would obviously invest allot into the supplies and because you're so good at so many mediums, it means even more supplies!!

I love your Scavenger hunt page!!
Absolutely gorgeous that you spend time with your granddaughter!! what else are grandparents for but to watch those kinda movies - LOL!! Your flowers look great though, although i agree with Michelle.... you painting flowers & your granddaughters painting the dinosaurs.... mmmm :D

PS. would have been nice to see her drawings too :)

robertsloan2
08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Mickey. My granddaughter is six. She often says "When I'm all grown up in first grade." She's incredibly cool - bright, creative and we do share a fascination with prehistoric animals. Sometimes she makes up her own dinosaurs including their names.

Tania, don't listen when your boyfriend tells you those things. The only justification you need is "I'm going to enjoy them and use them." Just keep it up for a few years and you too will start running out of storage space. It's cool though.

One of the up sides of getting into art supplies for entertainment vs. going out, is that if I wind up broke for some reason I can always find something I haven't really explored in depth and get distracted with it. A lot of candy bars, ice creams, assorted other ephemeral treats get skipped so that I can get another color or try something new.

I'll post some of her drawings sometime, next time she hangs out to paint I'll post some.

DrDebby
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Beautiful orchids.

Very cool that you and your granddaughter paint together.

Whisperwood
08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh wow! LOVE those orchids, especially the green one, very cool! I've always loved orchids, kept many in the past. And love Ari's body parts too! :D
Thats funny regarding the "Grandpa - flowers & Grandaughter - Dinosaurs"!

robertsloan2
08-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Thank you! She painted again tonight, I'll post in a little while when her painting dries. Meanwhile, here's a page I did with my Sheaffer fountain pen, using a blue cartridge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2010/70184-All-Media-Page-74.jpg
All Media Book, Page 74
9" x 12"
Sheaffer calligraphy pen, fine point, blue cartridge and wash
90lb cold press watercolor paper in Canson All-Media Book

robertsloan2
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
And here's Sascha's painting, done more or less at the same time as some of mine.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2010/70184-Fantasy-creature-by-Sascha.jpg
Plinka-Planka and her Yellow Daughter
6" x 9"
Sakura Koi watercolors
Painted by Sascha from imagination. Plinka-Planka is a Sorosaurus, a type of pterosaur "like in The Christmas Dinosaur." She's accompanied by her yellow daughter whose wing you can see rising up out of the mixed gray rain clouds at the bottom of the page. Sascha told me all about her life history while painting her and did some interesting layering and color mixing.

Carole A
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Strange Robert, I could have sworn it was a pteradactyl. Just shows what I know.:lol:

Carole A

virgo68
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
how cute - Plinka Planka :) I think it is really neat that you paint with Sascha. I used to try and do that with my son from an early age, he is almost 16 now - he never liked being creative then and he hates it with a passion now! I always thought he must have been an alien implant........lol! I love him dearly but wish I had a partner in "creative crime"!

DrDebby
08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Hmm... calligraphy pen to sketch with... Very cool drawings there. I like the marine iguana.

That is so cute, Plinka Planka. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie, my son didn't like to paint and color when he was little because he is color blind. Instead, he and I "created" in the kitchen. He is now a chef. So maybe it's just finding what creative thing your son likes.

TaniaBee
08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Robert, she is absolutely gorgeous!! Don't you love how kids imagination works & how they think & it's so cool that she can translate that into paining :) so cute!!

Your page is really cool too :) heheh - LOL!! I like how you've shown the difference between the washed and not!! looks really nice depending on what you drawing!! Great Blue Page :)

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you! Yep, when I asked if Plinka Planka was a type of pterosaur, she said yes. Just like in The Christmas Dinosaur, except that she gave it a couple of extra legs.

Jackie, if he's not into drawing and painting, he'll find something creative that he enjoys. He's probably into music or something else, like dance. People find their own expression.

Whisperwood
08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
What a wonderful collection of animals you did in ink! Love it! And Sascha's dinosaur is great!! :-)

virgo68
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Robert, my son is into football (soccer) and is really keen on planes and cars (basically things that go fast!), he plans to enter the airforce. That's ok, we're all different and I think I am actually the black sheep of the family - I always loved drawing but didn't really find art till he was born and I gave up work. I think you are blessed that you can fire Sascha's enthusiasm and share her creativity and imagination - a gift for both of you :)

Debby, funnily enough my son is colour blind and I never really factored that in - he sees red and green but not the more subtle/pastel colours....

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you, on behalf of Sascha as well as me.

Jackie, I can see why a color blind boy might have less interest in drawing - it'd always have some frustration involved anytime color came into it. I'm glad you were able to give up work and get back into your own art.

My grandson Gabriel doesn't get into it the way Sascha does. He doodles occasionally but not as much as Sascha did at his age. She did something spectacular for me this afternoon, a sea turtle laying her eggs on a full moon night on the beach. We were watching Jeff Corwin Experience again and minutes after he showed the sea turtle laying, she was drawing the sea turtle that she named Panana.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2010/70184-Sea-Turtle-Laying-Eggs-Sascha.jpg

I think this is amazing. She did the moon by drawing in the negative space and she was the one who put the nest in under the mother turtle and the spots on her carapace - I didn't suggest any of it to her.

vhere
08-06-2010, 04:45 AM
lovely pictures :)

I paint with my 2 year old grandson when we visit. He's a live wire who runs everywhere and loves football (soccer) but loves painting and books too so I'm pleased that he has that balance to all the hyperactivity!

robertsloan2
08-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Vivien, that sounds so great. At two years old, it's probably exhausting just to watch him - that he's into anything quiet sounds like a relief. Sascha was into drawing at that age though!

robertsloan2
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Today's go at one of the WDE images:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2010/70184-Blue-Heron-WDE-August-6-Pen-Wash.jpg
Blue Heron Wading
9" x 7"
Sakura Pigma Micron color pens and watercolor wash
Photo reference by Crystalline174

I'll finish the page later, today is not a good back day.

jacquip
08-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Great work on the heron. Looking at the bg, what a neat way to do the leaves. Love the shading on the bird and water.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

DrDebby
08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh my, that's a handsome bird. Love the background you did.

DrDebby
08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Ooops.

DrDebby
08-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Ooops again. WC is messing up.

virgo68
08-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Robert, I love the heron, beautiful rich colours - spot on!

robertsloan2
08-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Thank you! I was experimenting with that background, so glad y'all like it. There are several different ways I could handle a wall of leaves, that's just one, but I'm glad it worked.

Vivien Maloney
08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Robert - I saw this in the Watermedia Forum and commented on it there. It's terrific and I think you should frame this one.

robertsloan2
08-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Thank you! I think of this book as a place where all the good paintings and drawings I keep in it are safe. They won't get lost in a move, I've been able to hang onto full sketchbooks a lot easier than framed artwork or loose matted art. Some of my favorites are in this volume - the cougar I did a while back too.

Someday I might unbind it and mount and frame some of the good ones. But till then, they're all safer right where they are. Of course I could always scale it up and redo it larger as a framed painting. That's the cool thing about this book -- most of what's in here, even if it's polished, I could elaborate on it in a larger size on good 100% rag paper.