PDA

View Full Version : Maroger ...

Wayne Gaudon
09-24-2002, 12:21 PM
what is the magic of mastic varnish and black oil .. is there any reason you couldn't use a damar varnish and black oil or is there something in the mastic that reacts with the oil?

Has anyone tried?

Titanium
09-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Wayne,

you have two options -

try it yourself .

Or go to StudioProducts and talk to Rob Howard.
He has done a great deal of research on Maroger.
Good Luck,
Titanium

impressionist2
09-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Wayne, Over in the general forums at Ceninni there's also a discussion of a verdaccio painting Verdaccio ( Michael George) did of two little girls with maroger. It's very interesting.

Renee

hblenkle
09-24-2002, 01:04 PM
I know many of us would like to hear what you find out. I use a w&n medium and add stand oil for two mediums of fatter value to use in final stages of the painting or if a high gloss is desired. I have read the posts in wc on the different mediums and find it interesting. Some mediums work for some people and other people are looking for something else.
Harold

Verdaccio
09-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Damar sets up very quickly and drags on the brush. Having used a medium containing Damar, switching to Marogers was a wonderful experience.

When you combine Mastic and Black Oil, it sets up into gel (thicktropic?). If you work it with a knife, it gets buttery and when you leave it alone will gel again. I don't know that Damar would do the same thing.

I love Marogers. It is smooth on the brush hours after you apply it - passages stay workable all day and yet are dry enough to paint over the next. A queen of mediums, and Studio Products (www.studioproducts.com) makes the best Marogers available today.

Leopoldo1
09-24-2002, 02:49 PM
W, maroger is black oil and mastic varnish! yeah you could substitute damar with the b/o, but it wouldn't be maroger and the thixotropic, buttery qualities would be lost.........L

Wayne Gaudon
09-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Thank you all for yout time and explanations.

That answers the question .. sort of seperation of soul mates .. not good for either.