PDA

View Full Version : To Market

nurciuoli
05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Worked on this for the past 3 or 4 nights, and I've got it hanging to dry completely. I'll look at it and probably tweak it a bit here & there, but it's basically finished. Whenever a scene is busy, I always tend to go a bit abstract with it - it actually seems to simplify things and make it balance. I am still so amazed that you can paint shapes, and colors, and shades -- then step back & see the entire scene! Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet. - Nan

ladypainter
05-14-2010, 09:11 AM
This is a very well done painting. It is a bit on the abstract. to me almost like puzzle pieces which is what I like so much about it. It is easy to see what it is but when you look close you see those amazing pieces of color. Very nice work.:thumbsup:

noodle1
05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
I really like this one and I agree very well done. That's often the point tho isn't it to group shapes and shadows and sizes and let the mind and eye fill in the spaces, think you did that beautifully.

Elaine

LavenderFrost
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Nicely done!

texana6
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Nancie, this is SO-0-O charming!

kquilts
05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
This is a very charming scene. Very well done.

shunter
05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
I really like this also! Did you use any kind of software to manipulate a photo for inspiration?

Steve

nurciuoli
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments, very much appreciated!

Did you use any kind of software to manipulate a photo for inspiration?

Steve

The quick answer is yes. The photo was contributed by a user on The Artists Network website - they run a weekly Photo Challenge over there. I downloaded the photo & just love the scene. But I found it quite busy, and since I love to paint details (almost to a fault), I knew that details would make this even busier.

So I took the photo into Photoshop and played with it. I usually use Photoshop to combine images or to crop/silo them. But with busy images like this one, I look to abstract it and remove the details. Photoshop is very powerful, with lots of options - I often play with filters/changes until I like what I see. Then print, sketch & paint. Sometimes I will output more than 1 altered version, & combine parts of each of them to make 1 painting.

This painting took quite a bit of time in that I mixed small amounts of different colors as I needed them, and then painted shapes on top of shapes. I usually sketch the basic shape of the scene - the rest has to be done as I go. It never matches the photo exact, but then, I'm not going for realism. More representation.

Thanks for asking - I probably gave you more than you were looking for, but I believe that computers are simply another tool. I can always envision it in my mind - sometimes my eyes just need a bit of help to see the vision also. - Nan

OkeeKat
05-14-2010, 10:24 PM
This is great!! I love it!
Simply done yet not, Its fabulous!!

George Servais
05-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Now you know what IMPRESSIONISM is. And you did it superbly.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

arl
05-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Wonderful colour and composition.

purplepansey
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
It looks wonderful, love the kind of impressionist/abstract look of it, the awnig looks great over the window.

RPut
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!! Thanks for the photoshop help! I too get bogged down in details. Maybe photoshop will help me loosen up! THANKS so much!! I REALLY REALLY like this!!!

nurciuoli
05-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Thank you again for the wonderful comments on this. I am so glad so many of you liked it.

Ruthie - you're welcome for the photoshop tip. Enjoy!