PDA

View Full Version : Moral Dilemma

chuas2
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow artists!

My mom was a fantastic watercolorist, and draftsman par excellence. She generally did detailed sketches before she began a painting, either onsite (she worked mostly plein air), or in her studio.

When she was diagnosed with cancer, she put down her pencils and brushes for good (regrettably, because the disease took two years to take her, and they could have been productive ones as she was asymptomatic for many months of those years).

At any rate, I inherited all of her paintings and supplies, among them, stacks of beautiful drawings on Arches 140 cold press watercolor paper, that she meant to paint at some point.

I am somewhat tempted to paint some of them, and finish them for her. Not that they would even come close to the level of skill and beauty that was her own work. I would of course, claim joint credit if I did this, and in some ways see it as a way to keep her art alive.

On the other hand, I also see it as desecration of her work, since the drawings are themselves, works of art.

Thoughts?
Chuas

Paula Ford
05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
If they were my mother's work, I'd frame the drawings and keep them as is.

DAK723
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Using your Mom's drawings and sketches - whether using them as reference for your own paintings, or actually finishing some of her works - would be, I think, a wonderful tribute to her and her work. Keeping her art alive can in no way be a desecration, as far as I can see.

Don

Lynndidj
05-13-2010, 01:58 PM
OK I'm going to straddle the fence so to speak. I might take one or two of her drawings and finishing them, but I certainly wouldn't do all of them. I'm with Paula on framing a couple of her best, to remember her by.

You could also do tracings of her drawings on tracing paper and transfer them to another surface to play around with. That way you won't change anything she has done, and still have the ability to paint them.

Lynn

allydoodle
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Okay, let's think out of the box here :D .

If it were me, I'd find a way to have the drawings copied onto an art paper I liked to work on (I'm sure it could be done quite easily at a print shop, as I do know one locally that would do it), then finish them. You could then take the original drawing, and mat and frame it along with your finished work in the same frame. Sort of two openings in a mat, but one frame to showcase the artwork. A "Mom and Me" kind of story.

For me, I would be hesitant to even touch her work, only because it was something she did. Also, you might regret it later on. I would want to keep it as she did it. Just my thoughts.

WC Lee
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Personally, I would not do anything with those sketches/drawings except frame them. I would use them as references to create my own version and what could be more of a tribute to your mother than creating an original that is inspired by her work.

chuas2
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, those drawings are stacked in a room untouched since October because I AM afraid to "ruin" them. I think I'll end up doing some sketches "in the style of..." and painting those, with a credit to mom.

Thanks all!
Chuas

Colorix
05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
There are historical precedents, for example Pieter Breughel, the elder and the younger. The younger copied daddie's drawings, and painted the same scenes, and both are famous for it!

I'm with Chris, copy them, and then do them. Her art was great, and you can both honour her by making your painted interpretations based on her drawings, and keep the drawings.

As it was as recent as October, I guess this is a part of your grieving process. Part of the heart-gripping beauty of her drawings is that she didn't get to finish them by painting them, they're a part of her whole history and essence. Wait a year or two, these things can take a long time.

And you paint beautifully, and you have and will develop a different artistic vision, which is a great gift to your mother.

Charlie

allydoodle
05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
As it was as recent as October, I guess this is a part of your grieving process. Part of the heart-gripping beauty of her drawings is that she didn't get to finish them by painting them, they're a part of her whole history and essence. Wait a year or two, these things can take a long time.

And you paint beautifully, and you have and will develop a different artistic vision, which is a great gift to your mother.

Charlie

AMEN!

sketchZ1ol
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
hello.
well, if as you say, she was of clear mind amidst this, she could have destroyed the pieces in that time.
since it comes to you, it's your choice, but without any talk about it between you, from what you've said, you have an archive.

In my parents house, there were Avery and Gorky sketches, and i wanted to colour them in - to finish them with my crayons... but before i acted impulsively, i told my parents about this.
their faces were upset, but they said, ' be patient a little while - we'll get some better things to draw with ( papers, pigments,etc ) ; they did, and i made my own pictures, and could look at the pictures on the wall and mark it however i wanted on my own paper, not the originals.
my situation was the echo of their voices that was everyday...yours is direct, and unique.
:} Ed

suruchi
05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I ditto what Charlie said. I lost my mom just over a year ago and there are things I thought I didn't want then that I now wish I still had. Give yourself time. :heart:
Dena

PETE K
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Chuas, I would have too agree with Charlie also. If i were to do anything with them i would copy them and then paint them. sorry about your mom.