PDA

View Full Version : Still Life with bottle and glass

els
09-24-2002, 09:32 AM
Did this one in one session after the groceries shopping.

I'm not completely satisfied with the background (think it should be darker), but I like the overall effect. Yes, I know it need more shadows :(

Comments? Suggestions? Feel free even to alter it to show your points...

Watercolor (with ink "outlines") on Langton Rough block, 12x16.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2002/natureza_morta1.jpg

Eamon

pampe
09-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Eamon

I think it is a good subject and compositionally good.

Agree about shadows to make the objects "lay down"

Your background might be ok after you add shadows.

I don't know if there are enough DARK Darks....:eek: So, I , of course did a grayscale to see.....

Good job so far!

what do others think?

madmum
09-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi Eamon

Hmmmm I had my first play in photoshop on this, so it might look silly! I feel the glass needs a highlight to show form, and highlights on the top/right of the apples would help along with shadows on opposite, to give a better idea of light source. Enough talk, see if my play helps!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2002/natureza_morta1.jpg

Just remember I'm a beginner at photoshop, the highlights aren't quite in the right places.

Ruth

pampe
09-24-2002, 10:28 AM
that's it.....it wasn't missing darks....it's missing LIGHT lights!!

Great job , Ruth!

madmum
09-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Oops!!!!!!! My file replaced your file :eek: Sorry Eamon OK I put the original here so you can see, under a DIFFERENT file name. DOH I am soooooo blonde! :confused:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2002/natureza_morta1original.jpg
Ruth

NorahT
09-24-2002, 11:11 AM
This is lovely els - great colours and composition - I agree about the highlights.

mariela
09-24-2002, 11:19 AM
:) Hi! i think you have a very nice atmosphere and a good composition. i agree for the higligts...

Becky-Bob
09-24-2002, 11:32 AM
I love the composition. Everything fits together perfectly. I agree about the highlights. Looks good though, looks very good.

els
09-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Thanks a lot Pam, Ruth, Norah Mariela and Becky for commenting.

Yes, Ruth, you're right... I missed the highlights! In my version the glass has only 2 dimensions. Thanks a lot for helping me...

Gilberte
09-24-2002, 12:29 PM
The main things have been said so I can only :clap: :clap: :clap:

Flattwo
09-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi Els

Excellent effort, I agree it may lack a bit of sparkle (lights) I particularly like the bread!

Was this composed by yourself?

Regards

Flattwo

els
09-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks Gilberte and FlatTwo.

FlatTwo: I tried a simple composition with this one, but didn't spend too much time with it (about 1/2 hour). It was most feeling than concrete study... But I played with the light and position of the fruits. Also added a dark blue background to help me with the values (didn't help that much LOL). In most of my pictures I use the original composition (landscapes), but I know I have to study this topic more... In this one I used the concepts I learnt with all the masters here... ;)

Eamon

JustjoGA
09-24-2002, 01:59 PM
I really really like the lightened version, except for one item. The brown in the bottle looks flat and murky...

Sandy1
09-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Wonderful painting. I am envious at how fast you can paint!
Sandy

Lise
09-24-2002, 04:21 PM
It may be missing some lights, but it's still a very attractive painting. Lovely earthy colors, nice composition. The bread and bananas are excellent.

Teddi
09-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Eamon ...

This is really lovely. The composition is excellent and the muted colors work really well. The addition of some highlights where appropriate will make it almost perfect. The only thing that bothers me is the bright blue of the glass ... somehow it seems out of place, and attracts my eye too much. If it's reflected color, I can't see where it comes from ... if it's a blue glass, perhaps some 'artistic license' could be applied to tone it down a bit.

Teddi

Mike Scott
09-24-2002, 05:49 PM
Excellent! I like the tone of this painting. Perhaps a bit more modeling on the bottle.

WFMartin
09-24-2002, 07:41 PM
Forgive me for "tweaking" your fine watercolor. I couldn't resist. I like contrast, so I darkened shadows, and added some color.

Bill:)

WFMartin
09-24-2002, 07:44 PM
I forgot something when I posted. Sorry.

Little Old Lady
09-24-2002, 08:22 PM
A wonderful job especially for a quick study! good suggestions too.
JoAnn

els
09-25-2002, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your replies.

JustjoGA, Sandy, Lise, Mike and JoAnn - thanks for commenting.

Teddi - you're right. The original plan was to have a dark blue background, thats's why the blue in the glass. As I was using a dark blue paper behind the scene, the glass reflected the color but the background ended washed up. Have to correct this.

Bill - thanks a lot. I was missing some shadows, and your pic shows exactly where they have to be...

Eamon

Gilberte
09-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by WFMartin
I forgot something when I posted. Sorry.

Please tell me, how did you do that ? With Photoshop ?

mustcreate
09-25-2002, 12:36 PM
what a wonderful quick study!! sure doesn't look quick!! I quite enjoy the blue reflected in the glass and bottle....I would like to see some of that same blue washed around in the background though:)