PDA

View Full Version : Claude Monet, Poppyfield

tutunoma
05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
hello all, I was a little dissappointed with my work lately and I even don't remember what I posted last, pehaps it was some of my stilleben, that I did for our exhibition. Anyway it went under without much noise.

Now a friend asked me to do a painting repro of Monet Poppyfield. I tried my best and now I'm at this status:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2010/199979-monet2wc.jpg

C and C welcome

tutu

Marigold
05-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Hello tutu,

you're doing the right thing, there's not much that will help your inspiration and improve your skills as much as studying some beloved work of art from a Master. I like your result, it captures very well the mood and the style of Monets painting. The trees are very good, and you used broken color well in the poppy field. Only the sky does not fit in, it looks like it was painted in a different way, much more blended without the visible brush strokes, and the clouds look "heavy" to me compared to the soft "cotton" clouds in the original.

I would not change much, maybe soften (lighten) some of the dark green spots in the poppy field to get a more unified area as far as values.
I am sure your friend will love it!

Just out of curiosity: what type of brush do you use, bristle or hair?

Susanne

tutunoma
05-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you Marigold for your encouraging message, and yes, I was unhappy with the clouds myself and have tried to blur the clouds a little.
Usually I use a hair brush as I don't feel secure enough to make my strike with bristle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2010/199979-monet3wc.jpg

Now I'm at this stage. I'm waiting the colours to dry a little so I can see what they look like then.

Yayagal
05-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I would suggest that you put a blob of white inside the cloud and take a round brush and keep circling it around the blob further and further out so that you can see the sky through the cloud. There are also shadows in clouds, there are some good online videos you could view. Just Google "painting clouds" Once you see how it's done you'll have it down pat. Also try and vary the silhouettes of the trees and blur them a bit towards the edges. Good effort so far, keep at it and smile!!!

Norty
05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm actually reading a great book, "Monet's Landscapes" and I must say you caught the light and color wonderfully. Your version is a lot cleaner than his, which certainly isn't a bad thing at all. I'm guessing you probably don't want to rework this canvas until its caked in weeks worth of paint :) Great work.