PDA

View Full Version : What's on Your Easel 5-9 thru 5-15

noodle1
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Time does fly....it's time to start a new week of sharing those creative energies. :clap:

Hugs,
Elaine

ibglenny
05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey noodle. I had to put down my sparrows to finish this fantasy piece I was working on. Thanks to some help from some nice folks on here, I am done. "Magic Wands/When I Grow up" ..... now it's back to the sparrows. And shopping for a camera LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/101099-magic_wands_7.jpg

ibglenny
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Looks like I won't be painting this week. I have to travel due to a death in the family. My brother-in-law had a bad car accident. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers

PattiLou
05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
So sorry to hear that Glenny, I'll be thinking about you. Be safe!

I really like your fantasy piece, it's interesting... like dreams in a bubble.

greyart
05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
ooooh! love the bubbles!

hey all, I haven't painted in a while. I'm starting back up trying to keep it loose and about the feeling and not detail stuff to death. I just roughed in my new piece, the scribe. It is on a canvas sheet. Not sure how i'll frame it but I had this pad of canvas sheets so i thought I'd try them out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/55733-scribe.jpg

eyepaint
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Glenda - well done on that bubbles piece. Lovely concept and skillful presentation. Hope all goes smooth with your family.

Carol - great study

An update (finished?) to my Franz Marc study. 9x12" canvas panel.
I'll post the painting by Franz Marc, too.

Cheers,

texana6
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Robert - I love your water pump! When I was in high school (decades ago) I had a Rapidograph pen and I did a whole series of four drawings in this style. A classmate offered me $10 for all four of them. Insulted, I blurted "No, it took me HOURS to draw these! I would want at least $40." He argued, "But they're just a drawing, there's no color." I said, "No deal." The next day he came back with the $40 and we were both happy. Recently I found that old Rapidograph pen and I think I might order a new point for it but I would want more than $10 for my drawings today!:lol:
Glenny, your bubble painting is so endearing! So sorry to hear that there has been death in the family. Drive carefully!
Carol, looks like you have a good start on your scribe. I like the angle/viewpoint.
Eyepaint - What a charming version of the Franz Marc painting.
Me? - I'm still working on my "Gaillardia." The sun has gone down so I'll have to photograph it tomorrow morning. I'm so glad that these Chroma Atelier Interactive Acrylics are so forgiving! I would guess that I have repainted the foliage on this painting at least 8 times. And I really want this painting to be finalized before I meet with my fellow painters on Thursday.

xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx
05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi all,

Here is a weekly drawing challenge from the drawing & sketching group. I drew it then tansfered the line drawing to A3 canvas paper. This is my 5th painting. I'm not 100% sure about the shadows & tones, can you make any suggestions??

Being A3 in size, the scanner couldn't fit the whole painting & a photo gave washed out colour.:(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/180262-handspainted.jpeg

biddlebeach
05-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

Here is a weekly drawing challenge from the drawing & sketching group. I drew it then tansfered the line drawing to A3 canvas paper. This is my 5th painting. I'm not 100% sure about the shadows & tones, can you make any suggestions??

Being A3 in size, the scanner couldn't fit the whole painting & a photo gave washed out colour.:(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/180262-handspainted.jpeg

Great job!:thumbsup:

biddlebeach
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Lots of great stuff going on here! love the bubbles,, how sweet and dreamy,,
also liking the scribe, also very cool!
looks like I will be Trying to re arrange my studio,, I got a new drafting table! one that actually adjusts up and down!
later gators!

biddlebeach
05-10-2010, 06:38 AM
OOPS,,EP love the copy cat! nice job!

Glenny, so sorry about the death in the family,, prayers being sent your way!

OkeeKat
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Glenny, Great finish! Sorry to hear about your BIL, My prayers to you and your family! ((HUGS))
Hi Carol! This is a great piece already! you could matt it and then frame it, would look great, Just make sure your outer edge is wide enough for standard matt side, or will need to have to custom cut the matt.
EP, Love the kitties! especially the right one, so soft looking!

I started a small portrait saturday nite, but haven't downloaded the photos yet.. will do later today have a few appointments out of town today!

J-Knez
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
This one's not done yet.

I'm thinking I'll probably redo the blue and red layers, might've got too much white in them (it's distracting I think) and I'm planning on adding a cactus patch in the front left (hench the dark red spot (shadow)

12x24" canvas done with 1" filbert (as usual)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/Schwaa1147/DesertSunset.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry that this thread is late in being stuck!
I've moved across a couple of posts from the 'old' thread, posted today :)

idylbrush
05-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Going through the studio has its pleasures, even if throwing out work is painful. There are those works that have been in storage for extended periods of time and some need a bit of revisiting....if for no other reason, it shows where one has been.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/36241-IMG_8071.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/36241-IMG_8080.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/36241-IMG_8083.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/36241-IMG_8086.jpg

texana6
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
So this is where I'm at on my Gaillardia .... I still need to adjust the background in some areas. In some places the value is too dark, in other places it is more matter of color temperature. Still hope to have it finished by Thursday. C and C's always appreciated.

biddlebeach
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow Howard! those are sure something! Totally different from today's art from you.

Linda,, this is beautiful, I DO see what you are talking about, but like it just the same...

fowles
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Here is the semi final on last weeks. I will start a new one tomorrow. I think this one is a little plain. :(

Love the other work already posted. This is shaping up to be a week of good things.

biddlebeach
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Brad, this is great! what do ya mean plain?

PattiLou
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Linda your gaillardia is gorgeous... I've always like those flowers.

Not plain at all Brad... I like the little store with the barrels setting around and of course the colors.

Howard those ARE quite different from anything I've seen you post. I love the lizard... cool.

OkeeKat
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
HI Carbon, this is great, I think your doing a great job on this!
JK< fabulous colors!
Howard, wow, they are neat!! you should just have a garage/yard sale some weekend! Might make a little something on this old ones! Love the Joshua tree!
Linda, wow the stem and leaves are Fabulous, Great depth on them!! I'd leave the background alone.. gives it a hint of other plants/eaves in the background!
Brad, coming along really nicely, Love the fencing!!

texana6
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Howard - I LOVED the lizard, too!
Mary, Patti Lou, Kathy - Thanks for your comments. The changes I'm making now will be pretty subtle.
Brad - I think you have brought this concept quite a way with this. After all, painting an imaginary landscape is more difficult than painting from life.:wave:

xxXX-Carbon-6-XXxx
05-10-2010, 11:49 PM
OkeeKat Thanks for the support, I'm still very new to painting (as you can tell from my name!:rolleyes:). Hopefull I'll improve dramatically.:thumbsup:

dances_with_oils
05-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow carbon, have to admire you for tackling hands for your fifth piece. Most artists can manage one hand well and then hide the other hand - hard to get them symeterical.

One thing I always practised with when doing hands was to take some tracing paper, trace the better of the two hands and then flip it and lay it over the other one to see how well they were matching up - size, joints, lines etc. I found that really helped me.

Good job so far.

Linda, love your flower... the colours are awesome.

Howard, if you are throwing them out... my address is.... I mean it... I'll store them for you. My gallery would love this.

fowles
05-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Linda; The flower is so awesome I dont notice the color value of the background. But I will take your word for it.

fowles
05-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Glenny: The fantasy painting is great. Love that stuff.

Howard: I concur with Dances, I will take the garbage and pay the shipping.

OkeeKat
05-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi all!
Requested by my Daughter inlaw to paint her grandparents as a gift to her mother for a belated mothers day gift..free and ship it out west to Colorado, we decided it would be easier to use canvas paper and put a matte on it and she can easliy get an inexpensive walmart frame.
so this is it so far.. only spent a bit on saturday and today on it.. Its not going to be as detailed as the featured are so small its on 8x10" Canvas paper. see what you all think. its still in the ugly stage.

including the reference.

Will crop some of the top off when putting the matt over it.

biddlebeach
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
great start Kathie!

maryinasia
05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
It's fun to see such a wide range styles and subject matters, all beautiful, in one thread.

I just finished a small (about 5X5 1/2 inch) painting that I was tired of almost before beginning,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/185672-shoeboxdaysmall.jpg

and have just begun one that's much larger

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/185672-brown.jpg

idylbrush
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/36241-old-A.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/36241-Old-B.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/36241-Old-C.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/36241-old-c_detail.jpg

Some more found non treasures. They just keep popping up. Almost to the still life works. Nobody much cared for those either.

maryinasia
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I especially like the second of these

greyart
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
lots of great work this week!

texana6
05-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm seriously thinking of re-painting the background of "Nightshade" that I did last fall. I don't like the "thinness" of the paint on the background. To me it looks meager, miserly, not enough paint. So I think I should paint it more opaquely ... more like I did the background of "Gaillardia," using more yellow than white for my lights and brights. Comments appreciated.

texana6
05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Whoops, it looks like I posted a WIP of the Nightshade ... here is a better version. (I hope!) so that you can see what I am describing.

PattiLou
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I think I agree with Linda, this one looks faded compared to the other painting and I think more layers would pop the flower.

I think you are clearing out and throwing away too many Howard. The colors are beautiful and the compositions are interesting.

Mary I can see the joy on the childs face, it must be something he wanted.:lol:

I still have nothing on my easel this week... been to busy sight seeing or doing genealogy. Too little time to do everything I want to do.:o

biddlebeach
05-11-2010, 09:02 PM
had a bit of a meltdown today, sometimes ,, life just overwhelms,, here is what I got started,, AFTER the meltdown,, LOL

OkeeKat
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Mary, Thank you! Great start! anxious to see where this one goes.
maryinasia, Great paintings!
Howard, I love them all!! wish I had the room I'd take them all!!
Linda, I agree, the nightshade is too pale of a background, almost faded.
I love the background on the Gaillardia!

Foxyheart2002
05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Gaillardia......there is a certain dark value to the background to the left of the main stem and again to the very left of the painting.But where the little flower is, the value is much lighter and does not fit with the other two sections. Just need to match up the values here and to the sides. Other than that, I think it is so much better than the first one you did. It is gorgeous!

texana6
05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Sue, Thanks for your comments! I saw several areas in the background that needed adjustment after I took the painting out into the sunlight to photograph it. So I brought my paints and brushes out onto the patio to make those adjustments. Thirty minutes later my back felt strangely prickley. So I looked in the mirror and discovered that I was sunburned! I forgot that one of the side effects of being on Tamoxfin is that you are much more likely to sunburn! I'm meeting with my fellow painters on Thursday and I am waiting to see if they have any additional comments before I take the final photo and post it on a separate thread.:wave:

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Linda, I know how you feel about the meds. I have started a tetracycline derivative that is the same way. Hard to stay out of the sun, lolol.

purplepansey
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
OMG! I see some fabulous paintings on here, they are so inspiring makes me want to get busy and paint today. Haven't painted in a few days this one is finished on still on my easel.

purplepansey
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Time is limited but just a few I've looked at: Mary, Meltdown is the way I feel very often, Texan your flowers are gorgeous, Fowles love the country scene, Kathie well on your way to another good portrait
Howard your work is so interesting always unique
Sorry if I missed others, not intentional though

texana6
05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Purple, I love the whispiness (is that a word?) of your painting. Yep, it's spring and for many of us that means flowers!

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Shrl, this is great. it has movement while still being static. Reminds me of a dandylion just ready to depart in the wind.

*dee*
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2010/156775-001.JPG

Sorry, photo is a bit washed out near the bottom. :o

Still got a ways to go with this one, lower lip needs to be fuller, ear needs a lot of work, hair, more shadowing on the shirt, I've got to fix the background.....and a bunch of tweaking everywhere! LOL

But I think its coming along pretty good.

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
But I think its coming along pretty good.
You betcha! Looks great!

biddlebeach
05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
worked a bit on my meltdown piece,, LOL
photos are not so great, I had to stand on a chair for them,,

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh wow, Mary, maybe you should meltdown more often! Looking good!

*dee*
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh wow, Mary, maybe you should meltdown more often! Looking good!

:D

My thought exactly!!!! :lol:

biddlebeach
05-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks Sue,, um,, I dont like to meltdown,, and I think it might be hard to paint through all the tears,, LOL
I had the idea to do this last year when I snapped this pic. I thought I would TRY to go a bit more painterly on it. will see how it goes.

biddlebeach
05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
:D

My thought exactly!!!! :lol:

lol,, thanks Dee

Foxyheart2002
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Not a good thing to meltdown like that. Hope all is better today.

biddlebeach
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, There is nothing I can do to change the situation, so I guess I will just have to deal,, it's as good as it gets..
worked a bit more on the "meltdown" painting
Dee,, wow! beautiful!
Purp. love that! NOT in my yard though! LOL

OkeeKat
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
WOW Lotsa fabulous work!!
Love them all, sorry time short to post individully!!
Keep up the good work, back to the easel. Not too happy with the way this portrait is turning out, guess my hearts not in this one.

fowles
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice work Mary, interesting name for a flower painting. :)

claydesigner2156
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Some great work here.
Love the bubbles. Sorry about the family death. Life can be hard.

Cute cats!

Hands are very interesting and expressive.

Maureen, I have a WIP but i had family visit so I haven't painted on it much...and it is fairly large ...and DETAILED. When I am ready to post, where should I post it? I did post the early version though.

Yvonne

biddlebeach
05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Brad, I am calling this my meltdown painting, because I had one, then started this,,

It will be called something else,, um,, maybe my "sunflower"?
by the way, this is a 24 X 36

PattiLou
05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Purple - How interesting and a different perspective. Colors are good too.

Mary - Sorry about the meltdown, wish I could help.:heart: However, your sunflower is delightful.

petehears
05-13-2010, 04:10 PM
here goes.... this is what im workking on... if it doesnt come across with a pic attached, ill have to try again later..

biddlebeach
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I know,, how about the unfurling?
I didn't get to work on it tonight, but,, tomorrow, watch out!

fowles
05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Here is my project for thw week. Cant get any rougher than this.

Mary, Love the flower. I was hungry when you made your first post and I thought it was going to be eggs and stuff. Glad I was wrong. :lol:

biddlebeach
05-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh Brad,, looks nice! can't wait to watch this progress,,
oh ,, yeh,, melted gooey cheesy eggs,, yummy,,
Worked in my piece,, still not sure what to call it,, but anyway, here goes..

I'm thinking it may be done? what do ya think?

OkeeKat
05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Brad, great start!
Mary, love your sunflower! Really looks Great Looks done to me!!!

still working on the grandparents. /sigh coming along slowly,

Foxyheart2002
05-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Mary , this is one of your best. Love it. I would just call it "Sunflower".

biddlebeach
05-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Kathy and Sue,, I ended up calling it "Sunny"..
Sue, that means tons to me,, thank you SO much!

purplepansey
05-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Mary I think it's done and I think it's beautiful, love the way you've rendered the petals. I find it very difficult to do a flower like this I get hopelessly lost among the petals, I like the carefree natual way they look.

biddlebeach
05-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks Purple! there are tons of layers on them,, LOL,,

claydesigner2156
05-15-2010, 06:43 PM
The Sunflower is so cheerful...and sunny!

Great work!
Yvonne

biddlebeach
05-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Thank you SO much Yvonne,, I am really loving it! my husband asked me if I was painting it for someone,, as I had it on my computer screen, he didn't actually SEE the painting, and said,, well, kinda, for US,, he said,, Oh,, good,, I love that,, sweet!

claydesigner2156
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
That makes it even more special. I am working on a cityscape and MY hubby likes it and actually wants to take down the large pastel of a house on a hill now hanging over the mantle to put this one up. Sad part is I don't think it will be big enough...and I also think it might be quite saleable. That may take preference. LOL

Yvonne

Foxyheart2002
05-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Mary, I think the background really makes the flower as it looks like dawn with dark clouds, then, wait, it looks like blue sky peeking through, but wait, maybe its...... Even though the flower is up front and center, the bg gives it intrigue.

biddlebeach
05-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks Sue, this all means so much to me,, I really appreciate your thoughts on the back ground,,

texana6
05-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Mary, I think you did very well with your "Sunny" painting. I'm convinced that yellow flowers are probably the most difficult to paint and still get a variety of values.

OkeeKat
05-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Think I'm done with this portrait, not a good photo with the lighting this eve, will try to get better photos tomorrow.
Its on canvas paper so DIL can mail it easier for her mom.. Here is photo with and without the matting.
Whatcha think?? its on 9x12" canvas paper.

fowles
05-16-2010, 01:44 AM
[quote=OkeeKat]Think I'm done with this portrait, not a good photo with the lighting this eve, will try to get better photos tomorrow.
Its on canvas paper so DIL can mail it easier for her mom.. Here is photo with and without the matting.
Whatcha think?? its on 9x12" canvas paper.

WoW, this is fantastic. :D

Foxyheart2002
05-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Kathie, you have done an outstanding job with this and so quick too! You may want to check out the shadow across her nose as she has a little more of a bulbous nose and the shadow may need to be toned down a bit.

meggs
05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Dee thanks for that tip on using purple glaze on foliage, I have just checked in and found your post. Its added to my little black book..