PDA

View Full Version : My Little Purple Sketchbook

purpalia
05-09-2010, 04:06 AM
I received this sketchbook from my husband (screenname's prismalos :) )It is a Daler-Rowney 5 x 8 inches, and I could not resist asking one for myself too :)

Like I said in the new member thread, I took back to drawing really recently (about a month or so ago), and the big sketching pads kinda make me feel nervous: all those white spaces to be imagined upon and drawn, that was too much for a rookie like me. Thus, this small sketchbook became my tool of choice. Aside from its colour (my favourite), I like its spiral binding, which make it a very easy-to-carry item. Usually, I draw on the right side of the sketchbook, using the left part as color testing ground, or quick doodle for reference.. Sadly I do not have any double page pictures on my computer yet..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8098.JPG

It slowly became an hybrid journal, with both pieces carefully drawn to near-completion (I layer very, very slowing), and sketching test (remember, I am not that good, and still have a trembling hand and a need for a big eraser ^^)

So here are a few of the drawings I dare show so far ^^ Please be kind :cat:

1) Japanese lady, graphite and cheap colour pencils (Bruynzeel school grade, ref pic from a book about Japan, no credits mentioned). My first attempt at drawing with colours. Wrong tools and wrong techniques, and inaccuracies, but I still am fond of this one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8294.JPG

2) Chionodoxas: my serious first try at drawing in a true-to-life way. I found the ref pic in a Gardening magazine. Graphite pencils, and Caran d'Ache Prismalo watercolour pencils, used dry (those are in-between the hobby grade and the artist grade) :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8352.JPG

3) Japanese cherry tree, from the same gardening magazine. Graphite and Caran d'Ache Prismalo, then I added a layer of Caran d'Ache Supracolour soft watercolour pencils (used dry)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8463.JPG

4) I will not post the drawing of Boat and Olive trees, as I already posted a thread about it on the Coloured pencil section. So here is the latest drawing (WIP) I started yesterday. It was to simply test out our new Derwent Drawing set (24) but I think I will try and finish this one (ref pic taken from a very old National Geographic issue from 1986):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8578.JPG

5) This is an attempt at drawing cherries from memory only. The result gave a rather impossible breed, very round, and with some incredible sleek leaves... ah well, I rather enjoyed the trying! drawn with Koh-I-Noor Mondeluz watercolour pencils, used dry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8449.JPG

6) Here is more of an unfinished set of doodling,including tests on Derwent Inktense and Coloursoft, Koh-I-Noor Progresso, and Derwent graphite artist grade (that's where I felt the difference between artist grade and office grade medium... oh wow)

- roses, drawn from memory:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8576.JPG

- anonymous cat (the ref pic is from a kitchen bread plate). I just so love cats, even if they are very hard to draw ^^.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8565.JPG

6) My InuWorld: I am a fan of manga, and I sometimes spice up life with little humourous scenes (well, funny to me at least ^^). The name came from another screenname I used in another community.

- drawing from life:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/221147-DSCN8303.JPG

VoilĂ , this is about what is part of my little universe so far :) I must say that I really love drawing on this sketchbook, especially after a hard day at work. Critics and comments are most welcome :) I do not mind being shown where my mistakes are, because I really want to improve.:cat:

Thank you for your time !

~Sandra~

prismalos
05-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Love your landscapes! Let's continue building it up some more later :)

DrDebby
05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Sandra, your drawings are lively and full of color. Glad you found artist grade materials to use because your work deserves it. I will make one comment. You need to have more contrast in your drawings, lights and darks. It will make your work more 3D. You've got shapes down just fine. Keep practicing.

robertsloan2
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Sandra, this is fantastic! They all show a level of accuracy and sophistication way beyond mere beginner. Of course you'll grow and improve doing this sketchbook, really great professionals do too, that's just the atmosphere here at WC that does it and frequent practice and innovation.

I love your Japanese lady. That came out perfect and you're right to be proud of her. The flower is magnificent too.

Your little cat at the end is great -- I love its face and you got the face-body-paws proportions just right. The only thing you did with the cat that's anatomically off is turning its paws so that we're looking at them from above instead of observing how the paws look from the side or bottom -- unless of course the kitten in the photo was laying in a weird position. That happens. More times than I can count, I've looked at Ari and seen him hold his feet in strange angles or otherwise do something that messes up his proportions.

Still, it may help to do some studies of cat paws at different angles to get used to their full three dimensional shape. I think I may do the same thing, your request for critique got me thinking about it.

I've done a lot of cat gestures in moving poses and started getting somewhere with them, but now I think it's time for a round of anatomical Ari drawings focusing on one feature at a time -- paws, ears, nose, eyes, tail, belly... just any particular element of his pose that looks interesting or worked well in a photo reference.

Please do include your sketch-experiment pages. I liked the one with the roses and color tests. That sort of thing is what this forum's about. Also don't be afraid to cross-post the same artwork when it fits more than one forum.

I post regularly in the Daily Painting Thread up in All-Media Art Events, the All-Media Sketching Thread in The Gallery (a no-critique area but our particular thread still does gentle critique occasionally on request, it's become like a smaller group within the big community of WC), the forum for the medium and sometimes also the forum for the subject. And if it's in my Goof Off book it also gets posted down here in Art Journals.

Seeing it in context with the rest of the sketchbook it's in is different from looking at it separately as a colored pencils artwork.

I like the Koh-I-Noor Progresso ones. They are woodless, last forever, nice and portable at only 24 colors max, and they are the least expensive artist grade available. I use them as workhorse pencils for covering large areas or doing big works, also for convenience set and rotate them among my other artist grade ones. I collected artist grade colored pencils for several years and have many large sets, am still working toward the full range in all the good brands because Gary Greene suggested that in one of his books and gave me an excuse. Since they each have their own working properties, opacity, softness and best style, that's been very rewarding, also they wear down slower when I rotate them.

Supracolor Soft are among the best, so glad you got those.

Cool cherries from memory. You noticed the shape problem, but they are very attractive as berries -- cherries are a drupe though, they have the same shape as a peach but in miniature with a slick glossy skin that often has sharp white highlights like a marble. For a memory exercise though, that is spectacular. Excellent leaves too.

If you alternate life drawing and memory drawing, doing the same subject more than once, it gets easier to draw from memory. I'm doing that myself now and shifting toward life drawing a lot through participating in Scavenger Hunt.

Your landscapes are cool too! I love the Japanese cherry tree that you used the Supracolor Soft on as the last layer. It's joyful! Powerful, lively, and well balanced with a striking composition.

The one with the bicycles and park bench between two trees and little people looking out over the water has a different feeling, it could benefit from cleaning up the shapes a bit (bench is crooked) and then pushing the darks. But don't worry about it, just focus on it next time at the penciling in stage.

Underpainting can also help a lot with colored pencil in areas you want to push the color, that works best with using solvents or watercolor pencil for that area including using watercolor pencil with wash first, then going over it with regular colored pencil. Might be a fun thing to try out. One way to keep it from cockling non-watercolor paper as much is to do small areas at a time with the wash and not use much water. Let one little bit dry while you work on another little bit, but use a brush that's not dripping, just damp to dissolve it. That takes a little practice knowing how much water but a waterbrush is good for it because the flow isn't extreme.

Anyway, hope the critique helps and that you enjoy the little tips I threw in. I love your purple sketchbook and am looking forward to seeing lots more in it. Today rocks with so many new sketchbooks to see!

Vivien Maloney
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Sandra; your sketches are lovely, so don't put yourself down - you're doing great! I like them all but particularly like the kitten, the Japanese lady and the cherries. You've achieved some realy roundness with the cherries. Looking forward to seeing more.

purpalia
05-09-2010, 04:06 PM
first of all, thank you DrDebby, Robert and Vivien for taking the time to leave a comment! Thanks to those, I know a bit better where are the points that need improvement, and what is a good start. you genuinely brought a lot of comfort and insight, and I thank you again for it all!

DrDebby, thank you for the advice, I will really pay attention to the contrasts and improve the ongoing drawings :)

Robert, I really really appreciate your detailed critique! I honestly think that is by tackling the problems at the earliest, and most importantly, learning how to spot them that I will eventually improve :)

Thanks for catching the msitake in the cat drawing, now I can see where it is wrong! I also made a mistake in the ear proportion, as in the reference picture (well, bread plate) they are much more wider. ^^ ah I wish I could practice and draw my cat in real too! She actually lives at my parent's place, and will the most likely take a nap on the couch... very nice to practice on her cushion-like sleep pose, but when she wakes up, there is no way of having her stay still, let alone take a picture!

Ok, I will try posting the test-page in the next picture batch :) They are mostly little patches of test colour, and I lost some, since I am testing the colours on a separate sheet of paper that I sometimes lose... Also, I have tried my hand on another rose, this time on a bigger pad, but since it is related to the "test roses" from this notebook, i will post it here as well : I enjoyed a full afternoon of testing the Derwent Artists! The result is half drawn from ref pic, and half invented, as I didn't entirely liked the reference picture so...

And as Dr Debby suggested, I tried and practice on the contrast - let's see how I could manage in that!

Actually, this is my second attempt at drawing cherries, the first one finished its life in the waste basket. I was so sad and so angry at not being able to draw a simple fruit that I tore the page down, swearing that I was done with drawing! After one evening of sullen looks at my husband's sketchbook, and some comforting words, I tried to see if I was capable of drawing something after memory (and also partly because I did not have any real cherries handy).

All of your remarks make me realize that a good drawing can not start without a good analysis of the subject - not only the colour, but its 3D shape, its proportion, and the fact that the mind has to "see" it as well as the eye, and transmit the correct information to the hand.

Hmm I think I always choose to draw landscapes because I sometimes want to us as many colours as I can (Which of course seldom proves that way, unless the subject is a rainbow), and also because I cannot draw a person for the life of me! (that is the part of my husband hehe ^^). So far all of them are copies from reference pictures, I never tried to draw in plein air yet, but come summer, and if we have the chance to stay at my parents', I will certainly give it a try! Oh, and I'll make sure to correct that crooked bench as well :)

Ah, I must say that we LOVE the Derwent pencils! I find it more difficult to use than the Caran d'Ache, maybe because since the sets are smaller, I need to think about the colour, and make the correct choice, while with the big sets of Caran d'Ache (80 pieces), very often the colour needed already exists in the set... and they are simply so beautiful to look at! :)

A many thanks for the other threads I will visit them as soon as I can! (My, I had so much more to say and I feel like I forgot half of it somewhere in between..bad me!) I blame that 24h/day limit, I would need 48 at least! Ah, nice tip about the underpainting as well! Which reminds me - I have never really tried the watercolour feature of the pencils - might be a good idea to put it to the test in the next pages :)

Once again, an infinite thank you for taking the time sharing all those precious tips! Not only did it brighten up my day, but it makes me want to draw and explore even more!

Vivien, thank you! I will try and post as soon as I can :) Thank you for the nice words! :)

Well, the day is getting old here, and it is time to bid everyone farewell... Have fun drawing, everyone! :thumbsup::wave:

~ Sandra

JTMB
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
You're doing very good, Sandra, keep it up!

sparkling
05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Sandra, I'm sure this purple book is going to turn out more than lovely once finished :). The beginning sketches are very promising.
From the first sketches I would almost assume that you are interested in Japanese art or is this just a coincidence? We have a couple of sakura trees right in front of our house and it's so beautiful to see them bloom every year in spring.
And do I see dragon's in your sketchbook as well? :D Since you titled it drawing from life, I hope it's not the portrait of your husband ^_~

hydgirl
05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Sandra - Love those bright orange cherries and the Japanese doll.

robertsloan2
05-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Sandra, I can't wait to see your experiments. I'm so glad my comments cheered you up as well as helped. Your drawings are a lot better than you think they are. Realistic drawing is a big series of tricks that I learned one by one -- half of them here at WetCanvas when I thought I could draw perfectly well when I started (and had sold art for years!).

A watercolor underpaintirg really speeds up colored pencils painting too, makes it very vivid and quick. That's part of why I'm doing so many pencil wash sketches now, so that when I do go back to colored pencils I can sketch and wash the first layers with confidence.

Go ahead and do your cat sleeping in that cute cushion shape many times. That's how I got to where I could do Ari in more difficult poses while he was moving. My first 100 Ari sketches or so were cushion or furry blob shaped sleepy cat poses.

It also helps memory drawing to do it right form a photo or life first at least once. That helps a ton.

artbyjune
05-13-2010, 12:48 PM
This is a super purple sketchbook. I love the Japanese lady and the kitty!!

Jakesgram
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Sandra, I like you cool little purple sketchbook and I love the idea that you are doing lots of experiments in it. The Japanese lady and the cherries are great, but I think my favorite is the dragon, with teeny little you sitting below him painting him. Great humor and a fun little drawing. Keep posting as you fill up that little book. It's not so daunting now that you've christened it, huh?

purpalia
05-15-2010, 04:25 AM
First or all, I am sorry for my late replies, as work took quite a lot of my time this week :)

@JTMb: mayn thanks for the kind words !!!

@Silvia: This is correct I am absolutely a fan of Japan and its culture, as well as its art :) I especially like calligraphy, and also those paintings where a full landscape, or a subject takes form in just a few brush strokes.. It amazes me how artists can express so much with so little hehe. And I do love sakura trees, I love the way their flowers simply explodes in hues of pinks and white, before leave place to the foliage.. Yet another little miracle of Nature :) As for the lady, I loved the details on the kimono, and how complex it looks, even if it is just a mix of green and orange hehe

Haha, well he can turn into a dragon sometimes, but he is the kindest husband to me so ^^ The story about the dragon picture is as follows: both him and I were sketching our our books, and while he was pulling off a great monsters, all I could do was doodling a pale copy of it.. So I erased it all, and doodled this image of little me painting a dragon, wondering if it could be really life-like ^^ The little eared-girl me comes from my second liking: mangas. I started impersonating me as that little doodle girl, and did make several other sketches. All are related to something that happened to me, sort of, with err.. my rather special humour with it. They are in another pad, but i'll try to upload them as well here, if I may :)

@Hello Hydie, many thanks for passing by !

@Robert: Great advice, I will try to draw her next time we go to my parent's :) Actually I drew her quite a few years ago, on a big sketchbook page... I'll try and find it back, for it must be from 2005, or even before!

@artbyJune: many thanks!!

@Jean: hehe I am happy you like my little dragon! I posted a second drawing, did it not long after the first one. It is still WIP, because I need to finish the scales... and it takes forever to draw!! Indeed, I am glad I dared posting my stuff. So far I received great advice, and it helps a lot seeing how people are so nice and helpful.. I am learning little everyday, which is genuinely fantastic!

Here are just afew updates: basically I added a second layer to 2 landscape I started a while ago, and tried to improve the contrast. Now, my question is: do all CP drawings absolutely need to have a burnished aspect, without any specks of white showing anymore, or is it ok to leave it as it is? I feel that my hand gets less and less accurate, the more I add layers :( I add pressure little by little, as I am afraid of making mistakes I could not correct anymore. And my camera decided to fool around, by highlighting some parts... the result looks ligher as it normally is.. but I cannot get myself to edit the picture, as I feel it would be like cheating :(

Boat and Olive Trees:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/221147-DSCN8639.JPG

Landscape WIP 2 (sorry the bench still looks crooked :( )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/221147-DSCN8642.JPG

I am adding a second dragon (this time a copy of an Eastern Style dragon from a cover magazine, and added my trademark dragon at the bottom ^^

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/221147-DSCN8350.JPG

I also added a test of a dragon drawing :) I love landscape, but I wanted to try my hand on something else... So here goes a copy of a miniature dragon featured in "White Dwarf" magazine... Tested it with Derwent Inktense.

This is a view of the 2 pages side by side

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/221147-DSCN8659.JPG

This is a close-up of Master Dragon ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/221147-DSCN8660.JPG

... and a close-up on the left page, that I use to test the colours.. (I had to attach it, for the uploader keep on telling me i already uploaded 16 pictures.. is it a bug?)

I really had a lot of fun with this drawing, because I kept on experimenting, not worrying about the result :)

Ah, I REALLY love dragons indeed!

I wish everyone a great weekend!

~Sandra

robertsloan2
05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Sandra, these are great! I like your varied dragons, they are all so cool and have such lively poses. The copy of an Oriental dragon is so classical. I can see it influencing some of the others, though since you copied Master Dragon out of a magazine that influence may be by way of other artists loving Oriental dragons.

Great landscape with the boat! That is very striking and colourful. Like the refinements on the two willows one.

Not all colored pencils drawings need to be burnished solid. That's only one style of colored pencils work. I switch back and forth between "textureless" burnished and layered colored pencils drawing and "textured" where I leave some white bits in the tonal layers and may leave parts of the drawing bare to accent the drawn parts. Both can be equally polished and skilled, it's not that one style is better than the other.

I agree with you that both of your landscapes look better in a textured style. Relax and enjoy it! If you have problems producing a textureless look and want one, experiment with softer pencils -- the softer your pencils are, the better. Derwent Coloursoft or Prismacolors are the best for textureless. But it also helps to have a colorless blender like the Prismacolor Colorless Blender, Lyra Splender Blender or Derwent's Blender pencil. Use the soft Blender rather than the hard Burnisher.

I sketch with a hard colored pencil first to get the lines down, then begin layering with very soft colored pencils like Coloursoft to mix the colors and get my soft edges. Then burnish over it with a colourless blender.

Or do the initial layers with a soft pencil and then wash over them with Sansodor or Bestine rubber cement thinner. This works just like watercolor pencil, those thinners dissolve nonwatersoluble colored pencils. So that colors the white flecks and the next layers bring it back to a colored pencils look. Then burnish over it with a colorless blender.

Occasionally I skip the colorless blender and the wash stage and will put 20 to 25 slow layers on a bit of colored pencil realism. Usually I will do this on a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" ATC because I don't like spending months and years on a project. The smaller I get, the more likely I do that burnished textureless style. Once in a while I go up to 4 x 6" or 5 x 7" but that takes a long time.

I know some people like Gary Greene will do huge full sheets of watercolor paper covered in textureless colored pencils. The thing is, he's full time and undisabled. I lose a lot of time to my day job as a cripple and I'll bet you have other things to do too, so try textureless in small sketches first if you want to get used to it.

In the meanwhile, textured colored pencils are just as beautiful when they're done well. I like your landscapes and dragons very much! Keep going!

DrDebby
05-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Sandra, burnishing colored pencil is a technique, nothing more. Some people like that look, others don't. It depends on what you are looking for as a finished drawing. If you are happy with the paper showing through a bit, then leave it. Bet Borgeson's books that I have show paper texture and she makes lovely drawings. Other artists put on so many layers with razor sharp points that the tooth of the paper eventually disappears. Others do, indeed, burnish their work. Still others use solvents to make the binder in the pencil "melt" and fill the tooth of the paper. Find yourself several hours and go to the colored pencil forum library. There is loads of information there. Another method for getting rid of the white specks is to go with a multimedia approach using some type of water media as a background to your colored pencil drawing.

The landscapes are lovely. The dragons look very fierce. Don't fret too much about perfection. This is exactly the use of a sketchbook, a place to try things. To push the envelope on a drawing till you "ruin" it because you were trying something. Then you know where "too much" or "too far" is. :thumbsup: There is also the "wow, I did that" in sketch books too. It's a place to play.

sparkling
05-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow, these drawings look beautiful now, I especially like the first one it's so colorful and bright :)

As the others said before me, no you don't need to burnish. Ever.
It's just a technique some CP artists prefer to give their drawings a more unifrom look. Please leave it the way you like it best.

Dragons are fascinating creatures ;).

vhere
05-16-2010, 03:34 AM
You have a good eye when copying - my advice to my students is to draw from life as much as possible and transfer those skills. You get so much more information looking at the real thing (that the camera just doesn't pick up) - you are doing well, so no need to be hesitant about sharing these :)

purpalia
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Ah, thank you all for liberating me of the "Burnishing Fearn" hehe... I gues sI feel less at ease with that technique, so I will try and improve the texture one first ^^ Also need to fully grasp how to create a good contrast too :)
And THANK YOU all for the feedback, you just don't imagine how precious it is to me..
Once again, Robert, thank you so much for the great tips! :clap: When you talk about ATC is it smome kind of art done in a really small postcard-sized paper? This interests me too, because so far I feel more at ease when the paper is rather small, say an A5 or notebook size.. Even A4 seems too wide...

I sincerely hope that you can still enjoy drawing times when your disabilities do not go in the way... Also, we just watched your video about Neocolour oil pastel underdrawing ^^ Very useful tips hehe, and I was also so happy to see Ari!

Debby: ah yes, there are so many great threads there! No I am a bit overloaded by the information, I feel like I want to try everything and anything, but little by little some concepts and technique starts to sinking in :) And yes, the sketchoob format feels less demanding, I have several little things in progress, and it is less scary than a big white page that needs to be filled out...

Ah yes, next step will be to push the limits to the max ^^ I'll make sure to post it there as well :)

thank you Sylvia and Vhere! Aha, yes, dragons really are! And seeing my husband drawing them away rally got me into drawing them too (mine are just a bit more fluffy than his ^^)

Ah painting from life, this gonna be the next step as well :) I just put some Geranium flowers on the balcony of our apartment... I am now waiting for the blossoms (deep fuschia pink) to give it a try as well... and there is that huge tree that we see from our living room widow... I can see it right now from where I am tyoing this, and its lush foliage just screams for being sketched =D

~Sandra

robertsloan2
05-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Glad I could help, Sandra!

ATC means Artist's Trading Card, much smaller than a postcard. Postcard sized art is 4" x 6". I get two ATCs from a postcard sized pad or block, because an Artist's Trading Card must be precisely 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and can't be sold, only traded for another ATC from a different artist or given away.

There are ATC swap projects starting up pretty often in the Project System here or you can start one, limit the number of people in it and for doing as many as there are participants and mailing yours, you get one from everyone else on the list.

ACEO art means Art Cards Editions & Originals, a term that originated on eBay for trading card sized art that can be sold. ACEOs also must be precisely 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". It's customary with either to write your full name on the back and also your contact information, plus what medium you used and what surface it's on so the collector can know how to protect it.

I create both and collect both, have one album completely full and another one half full with beautiful art from hundreds of different artists. I sometimes do ATCs for Weekend Drawing Event photos or other challenges because I can finish one in a much shorter time than any larger size. I also sometimes use the most expensive papers and materials for them because they're so little that it goes a long, long way.

They are a lot of fun! I don't like using rough watercolor paper on them though, because it's too hard to get detail when the texture's that large. Cold press or hot press watercolor paper works well, also fine grained sanded pastel papers or any good heavy drawing paper like Stonehenge. Most of my painting and drawing experiments have been on ATCs until I started getting into using my sketchbooks, since I could finish one in a short time and still have a nice little artwork to swap. I keep my top few favorites though, at least until I do better ones.

You mentioned wanting to push the darks. Try using the deepest darkest pencils you have in the set, not black but dark blue, brown, violet, red and green. Then go over that matching deep dark with one light layer of its complement -- say it's a leaf, do the dark green shading at the start and then add just a little deep dark red into the very darkest bits. That makes them pop in so many ways and does darken them without having to press hard. It also makes the rest of the greens look greener and brighter.

Thank you for your feedback on my oil pastels videos! So glad you enjoyed seeing Ari in it. I have a good time with things like that, it just takes me longer to do them. That's another thing ATCs and sketchbook stuff is good for -- on bad days I can still usually manage something that small, so the whole day isn't shot. On good days I'll either do lots or work big on serious paintings or use the more difficult mediums that take more setup.

prismalos
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I think I might cheat a bit and let purpalia do backgrounds for me instead! :lol: Wow, those ATCs seems interesting, considering my love for anything trading cards!

purpalia
05-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Ah, Robert, thank you for clearing out the ATC thing, I thought at first it was just a format name, but I realize there's more to it.. :) and it sounds great indeed! And it is also good toread that it can bring some happiness despite the pain...

@ Raymond: deal hehe :cat:

robertsloan2
05-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Raymond, if you're into other trading cards, you already have all the storage and archive products needed for ATC collecting. They really are the same size as Magic cards or Pokemon or baseball cards or any, but they're all originals or limited edition prints and that's something so cool.

I didn't get into trading cards till I heard about ACEOs and ATCs, now I've got an album and a half full of them and annually order lots of top loaders and soft sleeves to store mine properly. I'm sure that'll assist in their preservation just as medieval bound books preserved their miniatures. And they are so quick to finish that I let myself go doing very slow techniques like layered burnished colored pencils realism or detailed pen drawing or anything else that takes a long time.

INKnewbie
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
cool sketches~!!

Joan T
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I love the variety of subjects you are willing to try sketching. These are great!!! I really like your landscapes.

RainySea
05-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Love your little purple book. . . such a wide variety of subjects and media you are exploring! Will look foward to seeing more.

Serenity
07-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Your purple sketchbook is an absolute delight to browse, Sandra! I'm looking forward to seeing more ~ :thumbsup:

Jakesgram
07-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Even more great work, Sandra. I especially like the oriental style dragon. It looks so "graceful" as dragons go!

Your landscapes look lovely to me. I haven't done much with CP, but I would leave them as they are right now. Just beautiful!

Jean

Vivien Maloney
07-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Just checked into see if you had posted any more sketches and saw your blue dragon in Inktense, which I really like (both the dragon and Inktense). How do you like the Inkense? I've been using them a lot lately and love them but I find that sometimes they "grab" the paper a bit. I like them both dry and washed over with water. When they are washed they are so much more vibrant and, to me, they are easier, and more flexible the ordinary colored pencil.