PDA

View Full Version : pan pastels for bottom and schimcke for top? + simple bonus queston

JPQ
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Pan Pastels for bottom and Schmincke soft pastels for top this works well?
And which 4 hues you recommend for testing Pan Pastels. works look lovely but i dont still sure if suitable for me. ps. now we have local and good importer for Pan Pastels.

Paula Ford
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
That combination should work very well.

It depends on the colors you use all the time and love.

robertsloan2
05-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Which four hues I'd recommend for testing Pan Pastels are five: the 5 color Painters set that has three mixing primaries, black and white. If you bought Hansa Yellow, Permanent Red, Ultramarine and Titanium White by themselves, it would cost about the same as getting the five pan set that also has Ivory Black. You can mix anything with those primaries, they even make a decent purple. Shade darker with black and lighter with white.

They respond a lot like paint that way. Check the prices on the sets at Blick, there's a definite price bump in the cost per pan for a set and the cost per pan for individual pans.

It's $18.49 for a set of five, any set of five. It's $4.99 for an individual pan. Primaries and white are the starter I'd recommend anyway, so you can't go wrong getting the black for shades free and a little off the white too.

10 Color Painters' set is $33.99, still cheaper per pan, but is a great small set that could stand alone with more convenience since it also has green, violet, yellow ochre, burnt sienna and raw umber -- the trio of Handy Earth Tones plus a good mixing green and violet. The mixed orange is so bright that set stands alone very well -- with more convenience. I have the full range but I'm thinking of putting together something like this to bring out for plein air in a ten color palette.

But all five colors in the 5 color Painters set are ones that if you want to step up and get a larger set or full range, they're good to have extras in.

Using Schminke over Pans would work very well, the Pans make a very thin veil of color and Schminke are so soft they'll go over anything.

JPQ
05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
i dont yet know if sets available but in monday i think i can know more. ps. basic set sounds suitable and my favorite blue is Ultramarine blue and second is Pigment Blue 60 what we dont yet see in Pan Pastels i think.