PDA

View Full Version : Turn the Red into Blue

sparkling
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Okay, so since I voted that I would participate in this forumn as well, I guess it's about time I should start a thread myself, too.

It's my habbit to keep between two to three Art Journals and sketchbooks at the same time, but I will present only one of them here. I doubt that my work will be too interesting, but as I love it myself to watch other people's journals, I guess it's only fair to let others see my humble creations as well ;)

Okay, I'm a horribly chronological person, so I'll start my first post with the cover.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/97229-0title1.jpg

I love decorating the front cover. Guess you can tell :lol:
Paint, beads, buttons, rhinestones, strings, stickers, I use whatever I have available.
Oh and just so you know: the relation between the titles of the journals and their content is usually minimal or even non-existent. The titles are most of the times verses taken from poems, songs or novels that inspired me to create the cover at that very moment.
Looking at this one I clearly sense some sixties vibes here :lol:.

sparkling
05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/97229-0page1_Kopie.jpg

Uhm yes. The first page of the new diary is about my basic art journal philosophy: don't be afraid to ruin pages or the whole journal or you'll never get to use it at all. Seriously.
My first sketchbook was one of those expensive Moleskine books and I felt too embarassed to use it for anything, because it felt like only a really really really good sketch deserved to be drawn into that noble book.
Needless to say I almost never used it for anything at all. Until that day when I accidently spilt some color over a few pages. Funny enough I realized that now that I had ruined some pages, I was free to paint and sketch on them the way I always wanted to and I still think that the sketches on those pages turned out best.
So ever since then I try to block in the first pages with weird colors or stuff, so that I feel secure that no matter what my drawings and sketchings will look like it can only improve its looks. :rolleyes:
And, of course, I don't buy any expensive sketchbooks anymore :D :thumbsup:

Vivien Maloney
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Silvia; Love your Journal! Very nice Cover Page and also the first cartoon page. You are quite right in saying "don't be afraid to mess up your pages". After all it's YOUR Journal and you can do what you like in it. Looking forward to seeing more pages from you.

Tintin-in-Singapore
05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey I agree completely, if i had a nice journal I would sit ruling a contents page and all sorts of stuff. The first few pages I would then do really neat and nice. Then when I messed it up I would just forget the idea.

So these days I use any notebook in the shop, and just scribble away to please myself..It is liberating to be a complete bum!

Scott.

sparkling
05-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much Viv and Scott :).
Yes, it's so true, for some strange reason the cheaper sketchbooks make for better art :thumbsup:

Okay, here are the next two pages. Unfortunately my old scanner doesn't work anymore, so I have to photograph them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/97229-0page3.jpg

A small study of some magnolias for an oil painting and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/97229-0page7.jpg
another one for the Different Strokes Challenge.

NHyde
05-08-2010, 04:16 PM
LOL! I love your philosophy. Great journal!

Jakesgram
05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Silvia - I love your journal philosophy, but you are wrong about your journal not being interesting. I really enjoy seeing whatever people are doing because it is the people who are interesting behind the journal!!!

I can already see that we share some of the same love for color - just expressing it in different ways. Thanks for joining in.

DrDebby
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
The cover of your journal is great. I love the first cartoon. And I too enjoy seeing how other people work in their journals.

sparkling
05-09-2010, 05:50 AM
NHyde, and this was only the first rule. Be warned, there are more wisdoms of this kind to come ;D

Jean, you are so right with your observation. Yes, I l o v e color. And shapes :)

Thank you Debby. Well, about the cover, I've come to the conclusion that it is not quite done yet. It needs more beads. A whole lot more beads. *lol*

Okay, and on we continue with two (actually 3) more pages.

Since the paper is not really meant to take a lot of water and will easily bleed through I use the left pages for random thoughts and notes and the right pages for painting.
However, in my attempt to ruin the first pages(c) I covered the first couple of pages with colored gesso. That way I can easily use both sides, but I don't really like the surface of the gessoed paper. It's too rough for my liking as it almost feels like sandpaper.
So for now I'll stick with using only one side of the paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/97229-0page2.jpg
This painting was a little experiment with embedding fabric and lace in the gesso and painting on top of it. Here's a little detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/97229-0page2detail.jpg

And just because I was bored, a portrait of a tiny doll:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2010/97229-0page4.jpg

prismalos
05-09-2010, 06:14 AM
I adore the cover! :) The mixed media is great! I do think it's better taking a photo, most scanners washes out the colors, especially the light ones. Thanks for sharing :)

purpalia
05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Sylvia, I simply LOVE your journal philosophy! bought some Moleskines too, and could never get myself to drawn in there...

Anyway, your journal is very refreshing, and I really like the doll portrait! I like the "cut in 2" feel of this one :) Thumbs up for the cartoon on the first paga s well :) And those magnolias are very cute indeed !!! :cat:

~ Sandra

DrDebby
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
It's great reading your comments about what works for you as well as seeing the results on your pages. Looking forward to seeing more.

robertsloan2
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Wow! This is amazing! It's one of the best whimsy books I have ever seen -- it's elegant. I love your philosophy of sketchbooks. It's exactly what inspired my Goof Off Book... and you have done it to the hilt. I laughed out loud at the first page. I loved the eye-popping cover -- though I do have one suggestion. If you want it a little more legible without losing the red side's monochrome red feeling, maybe paint in the lettering in a one step darker red, a cherry approaching maroon or a warm orangy red that approaches maroon. Just dark enough to see the letters but still obviously be another shade of red.

If you deliberately wanted the "turn the red" phrase to be hard to read on a red background, then don't. I honestly don't know if that was your intent or not, I just had a little trouble seeing it because my eyesight is not the best. And when you said you were adding more beads, I knew you were still working on it. That's another possibility -- glue and red glitter would make the red letters pop out by texture. The brilliant blue against the red is wonderful, it jumps out so bold and pop-art screaming joyful that it makes the cover rock!

It is a neat design even if it's still in progress.

All your pages are elegant. I love the varied materials and the two-page spread with that statement just got to me. No one wants you when you're down and out.

I've lived that, it took seven years for me to get my disabilities diagnosed and get social security and in that time I could not work or even take care of myself. I still can't. I would have died but for some friends who let me stay at their homes for weeks or months in succession, and before I got it I wound up in a homeless shelter for three years.

I'd been very active in a club for about a year before going into the shelter, participating in all the activities and sharing the club's interests. When I went to the shelter, every one of those local friends stopped calling and wouldn't answer my calls. I didn't get the newsletter any more. I didn't get contacted for anything. It was as if I'd died, not just run out of options for housing because the people I rented a room from needed it for their new baby.

So that page really moved me. It's been a little over a decade since that disaster, I got social security in 2005 and so I've had five years of relative safety and four years of living with my daughter in comfort and joy. She takes care of the housekeeping that I can't do for myself so well that I'm amazed. She cooks when I can't stand at the stove and thinks it's no trouble because she cooks for her husband and kids too. The way I live now, it's the best time in my whole life ... but I still remember what happened in those bad years, still coming to terms with it.

So, thank you for including that page. It reminds me that it wasn't just me, I was in the path of the tornado. It happens to anyone who has a bad patch in life whether that's a divorce or job loss or health problem. The only thing I can do is try not to turn away when a friend hits a rough time, but if they go offline there's no way to stay in touch.

JTMB
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Very nicely done, Silvia! I like the magnolia study - my own sketching tends to gravitate toward nature and landscape subjects.

JamieWG
05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Silvia, thank you for sharing your book. It's a good example of how an art journal can be freeing. I love how you are not confined to a style or subject, but use the journal to explore everything from subjects and mediums to thoughts and feelings. Hopefully our journals can help teach us how to say things through our art as you have done.

Jamie

alfreda
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
LOL! I love your approach and how you decorate your front cover (I do too but not as jazzy and yummy as this). For some reason I always need to have a copy or a page from the last sketchbook on the first page, like a bridge from one to the other.
I like the embedded fabric and lace with paint and how you explore mediums, play in your sketchbook :cat: very cool.

sparkling
05-10-2010, 02:26 PM
On to today's journal entry.
Recently I bought myself one of those well-known women's magazines as I was waiting in the station for my train to arrive.
Oh no. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/97229-0page12.jpg

Please don't torture your eyes while trying to read the letters. It goes like that:

women's magazine, 286 pages, 164 of them full-page ads, 80 pages full of hidden and indirect sales promotion, 10 pages for the index, imprint, etc, 2 pages with psycho tests, 1 page crossword puzzle and finally 10 pages full of lousy news and uninspired commentaries.

Give me my money back. Give me those 10 minutes in my life back that I spent browsing through this magazine.
Considering the amount of advertisement in this kind of magazine we ought to be paid for reading it :evil:

Alfreda, I think it's a good idea to keep the last page from the previous journal. I love this idea of perpetual continuation. That's much how life itself is. ^_^

Jamie, not confined is nicely put. I'm determined to use at least every material existent and do any kind of painting style known to mankind. ;)
OK, more seriously: I love experimenting and that's what my art journal is mostly about :)))

Robert, thank you very much for your kind comments. You know, you gave me the nicest kind of compliment anyone can give an artist, by saying that something I created made you stop and think and that it aroused emotions since I'd say that's what art is mostly about.
Life wasn't always nice to you, but I sincerely admire how you lived through all of these struggles.
I'm sorry, that the lettering on the journal cover caused you trouble, I've taken your suggestion and I'm goind to add some red glitter to it. I don't know whether this will really help to make it more visible, but we'll try and see :thumbsup:

Debby, I'm determined to post an update each day, or at least every other day, until that journal is filled :D.

Sandra, thanks so much ^-^!

Raymond, yes, you're right. After taking a closer look to Robert's thread I've realized that scanners are probably not the best solution either. Okay, so I'll stick with the camera for now and I'll try to reduce the camera distortion as good as I can. ;)

DrDebby
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Well said. I'm glad I don't buy those magazines.

prismalos
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
haha! Great entry, Silvia! Erhm... I'm a guy but I scavenge and sometimes (i mean very rarely) buy them. Although most of the time, I ask for those magazines from my wife, female friends, mom, sister, salon, whoever has them. Yay, free!

I find it a good reference for human poses, hairstyles, skin and hair tones and ideas for color combinations, especially those found in the ads and articles.

There was one article that gave me an idea of a very interesting zealous pose for my knight, but in the magazine, she was holding a pitchfork and wearing normal clothes as opposed to my drawing, who geared her with full armor and a sword.

So, other than a study supplement, I wouldn't spend a dime on it unless someone like Misa Campo on the cover. I like the idea of getting paid to read those ads though :D

Thanks for sharing!

Vivien Maloney
05-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Sylvia; love your Journal entries and some of them really hit the point! Particularly the last comment on Womens Mags! I don't buy them much, but I may buy 1 every couple of months, and I always think - what rubbish! Good on you for putting into art, what lots of us think! Can't wait to see more.

robertsloan2
05-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Fantastic entry! I love your critique of the women's magazine. That's scary. I look at the covers and titles on them and wonder whether it's real -- whether that's what women really think and talk about all the time, shopping and cosmetics and clothes and how to attract men. There are some men's magazines that are similarly narrow and consumerist focused too.

Both genders of consumerist magazine turn up all the time in doctors' waiting rooms, often exclusively. When I'm starved for reading matter and stupid enough not to have brought a book to read or sketchbook to draw in, I wind up reading them and getting scared of their slant.

I could not accept a view of life that says if you're not rich, young and physically perfect you're no good as a human being and unattractive to any prospective mate. My life experience completely contradicts that anyway. I'm crippled, crooked, bizarre and stocky from the neck down, though I have a pretty cool face. Yet I look back over my love life and more often than not I wound up with stunningly beautiful girlfriends ... so the whole "looks" thing is a big lie.

I suspect what men or women really want from a lover, in anything more than a one-night stand, is attention, appreciation for their real achievements, interesting company and shared interests. Looks are part of it sometimes but a much more minor element than most people are led to think... and even then, getting into clothes and hair, looks are a matter of showing your views on life, whether you're conservative or liberal, avant garde or traditional, what you like and what you think about things.

None of my raving beauties read those magazines, they just happened to be artistic, intelligent women who had a good eye for color and design. Half of them never wore makeup and didn't need it. They didn't always look like the magazine girls either. One of them had the build of a Hindu goddess, wide curves and tiny waist and glorious grace in her motions. There is great diversity in beauty too, but you'd never know it from the magazines.

One of the things I love about your art journal is that it's full of observations that make me think! Thank you for doing this and thank you for posting it!

I think the red glitter will do a lot to make the red text more visible and legible without changing the feel of red-to-blue. It's a gorgeous cover, and this entire journal is rich with powerful meaning. I love the way you say so much with it and the power of your art.

hydgirl
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Silvia - Your journal is very interesting. I love the cover of the book. Each page of your book is uinque and has a personality of its own.

JamieWG
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/97229-0page12.jpg

GREAT entry! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jamie

sparkling
05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
And on we go.
Making atonement for yesterday's rant, I'm going to stay peaceful like an angel today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay, the first part was a joke, but the latter part is true, I've got a little angel for all of you here today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/97229-0page8.jpg

And another one of the same putto:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/97229-0page13.jpg

That little putto is some kind of paperweight, that sits on my desk. Yes, I had my kitschy moment back when I bought it :cat:

Also I've noticed people seem to be interested in the mediums used for each? Mkay, so the first one is watercolor pencils and the second one watercolor pencils, watersoluble crayons and white gouache.

Oh yes, speaking of white gouache, I'm just about to rediscover my love for gouache. I used to hate it before. Reason behind it is that gouache was almost exclusively the only medium we were allowed to use for painting back at school. Hence it always had that flair of amateurish little-kiddie-paintings.

And which one is the most important color when painting with gouache paints? White of course. :D. I'm so glad that I've finally found an affordable priced and good working gouache white that I sketched that very bottle a couple of times. Just for fun and the love of color and without going for too much accuracy. (The proportion of the bottle is acutally only right on the ATC below)
All those sketches are painted with gouache and watercolor pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/97229-0page11.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/97229-0page10.jpg

Jamie, thanks :)

Hydie, thank you very much :D

Robert, I can only agree with your views on that matter.
Unfortunately there are still plenty of people out there believing only in outward appearances, that's why magazines like that still exist.

It always saddens me to see how much impact the fashion ideals promoted in those magazines and the media have especially on teenagers. I guess if you have a couple of years of life experience to look back upon, you easily distinguish what is important in life and what not, younger people however are easily impressed by what the media tells them.

A lot of thoughts come to my mind, when pondering about this. Maybe I should try to put a couple of them into collages? ;D Sometimes I think that I would have had a happier adolescence if I had not been surrounded by all those false ideals. But then again every epoch had it's fashion(able) ideals, I guess that's just something mankind cannot get rid off?

But returning to the said magazine, I have a theory: what if they are just making so much money from selling their ad space, that they do not really need any reader/buyer anymore :confused: :evil: :wink2:

Viv, what can I say? It happens to me all of the time. Each time I buy one of these I swear to god that it has been my last one, but now and then I find myself getting another one .

Raymond, you're pretty much right. Sometimes those magazines make good sources for figure studies. At least as long as the models are not photoshopped to absurdity. In this magazine I've come across at least two ads, were the legs of the models were made longer. It didn't look sexy anymore, just weird and scary. If you really want to do more with your fantasy inspired theme and need better models for all sort of poses I'd rather recommend you getting a software like poser as it will be more useful for your purposes :thumbsup:

You're lucky that you have your wife who buys them so you don't have to waste much money on them yourself.
I'll try and see whether I will be able to use the pictures in collages and other stuff. That way this magazine will be useful for something.

cairomum
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Silvia- I'm really enjoying your journal too, and I really appreciate your rant at women's magazines...such a waste of time and money! Your little angel sketches are great, as are your gorgeous magnolias!
Cairo

Jakesgram
05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Sylvia! I'm really enjoying your "women's mag" piece and especially the conversation it has generated. I generally avoid buying them as well, but occassionally get hooked by a cover that promises "instant organization!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course, that magazine I buy carries a disappointingly shallow article about the topic and only adds to my disarray when it goes onto the old magazine heap. :wink2: I'm so impressed that you actually analyzed the contents and confirmed what we all intuitively know to be true - too much advertising, too little content.

Besides all that, you're making me think about ways to incorporate point of view, thoughts, and opinions into my artwork. Looking forward to some time to play with some thoughts I have - maybe I can even collage the latest organization article into it somehow.

Nice work Sylvia!

prismalos
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Those bottles look amazingly 3D! :clap: I love angels too, but I like drawing grownups hehe. :D

Oh, No, no, my wife (purpalia) stopped buying those magazines years ago with the same argument (and feelings) we have for those shameless ads. :lol: We do buy a weekly magazine called Le Figaro (http://www.lefigaro.fr/). They have amazing pictures and very interesting articles and so much less of the ads. Their fashion articles are also great for figure studies :D

Regarding poser, I did use the program and a couple of 3D studio max before but not to offend anyone, I do not like digital art. I know it's easier if I just get a Wacom and draw like hell without caring because the paints are free and I don't have to worry about lifting my graphite because I have layers, etc.

I like to be able to feel the paper, to see it's texture up close, to hold it and see how all the materials and pigments blend in together. Sharpening, add water, paint with real brushes. I feel like digital art has an upper hand, cheating as it skips all these steps and can alter hue/Saturation and other effects on the fly.

But that's the way of the world. In most industries today, artists will have to be at least proficient in Photoshop or similar products because it just takes less time and cost.

I like old school! :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Cool little angel and classical putto! They're fun, if I see those among someone's possessions I don't usually think kitsch so much as classical (and that the person's probably an artist, 95% of the people I've known who own them are artists!) and creative-intellectual.

My theory on putti is that Italian artists dating back to Roman times were family men who had toddlers stripping off all their clothes to run through the workshop getting into things and making mischief. I see them in so many great architectural ornaments and also in so many Renaissance manuscripts that whether they're full of symbolism or not... they're also a bit of amusement by parents of nudist toddlers.

I've had a couple myself in my grandkids. At age three my granddaughter went through a serious phase of wearing nothing but shoes and changing her shoes five times a day. Now my grandson's up to that age and likes to run about either naked or without pants. They're incredibly cute. I should sketch him from life for future reference while he's still doing it, and to embarrass him when he's sixteen and trying to impress girls.

Great paintings of the white gouache bottle! I agree, white is that useful, important color that's the reason to have gouache in your arsenal. Very cool you painted in darker backgrounds for it too. I love using a bit of white in various watercolor paintings... and like doing gouache paintings as themselves too.

DrDebby
05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Lovely angels. The bottle of paint is cool. I'm not one for paint, but I love my pencils, graphite, colored pencils and watercolor pencils. I'm with Raymond on using paper and real materials. My husband does digital art and when I say something about making a mistake, he teases, "You don't have a delete key." :wink2:

sparkling
05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh, please don't get me wrong, I love traditional painting as well, but I'm also open to new ways of creating. Currently I'm obsessed with my oil paints and actually I do not see any real advantages that digital painting should have over traditional painting. Well, at least not if you paint the traditional way, with your own sketch, etc.
Okay, yes, there might be one huge difference: after a digital painting session you do not have to clean a lot of messy brushes and the colors stay open as long as you want ;). But the delete key? Never used it, neither in my digital, nor in my traditional paintings. Yet even if I had to erase something it wouldn't be a big deal with oil colors. Just scrape them and start over fresh ;D.
No, one thing I've learned early from an art teacher is that there is no such thing as a wrong line when drawing so we actually never used any erasers. When a line was off we just had to place the corrected line next to it. She always told us that art is like life, you can never go back to correct something, you can just do your best to fix it up later and if you want to get anywhere in life or in art you have to be bold. I guess this philosophy has kind of grown on me considering painting. (Not so much in my everyday life though.)
I enjoy painting and drawing, even if the lines are wrong.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2010/97229-0page6.jpg

This is the sketch of the cover girl (from said infamous women's mag). It was drawn with purple and orange ink directly on the paper without any preliminary sketches or anything like that. Please notice there are many mistakes in her features. The eyes are particularly wonky, but ... who cares? ;) :thumbsup:

And a couple of more pencil sketches:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2010/97229-0page16.jpg
I started this doodle on a random piece of paper and then I remembered that it actually belonged into my sketchbook, so I glued it in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2010/97229-0page17.jpg

PS: Yay, today I've officially finished 1/4 of this sketchbook.:clap:

robertsloan2
05-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Congratulations! It's got some serious momentum now if you're 1/4 of the way through. Great pop art ink drawing of the cover girl, I think the mistakes actually enhance it because she looks exaggerated, the pop art colors enhance that impression too. Well done!

Good pencil sketch that you pasted in, and the other three pencil drawings are excellent. I love the strong values and the way they're so dramatic.

DrDebby
05-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Great sketches. Actually, the model probably looks more like your sketch than the air-brushed photo on the cover of the magazine. Yes, there aren't any "do overs" with life. You just have to make the best of things.

sparkling
05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Today I moved on to children's magazines.
Believe it or not they are often by far more informative and interesting to read than many of those publications directed at grown-up audiences.
I had a laugh when I came across this page where they taught how differently the meaning of one and the same hand gesture is interpreted in different places around the world.

And since I wanted to practice painting hands anyway:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/97229-0page15.jpg

VoilĂ , this gesture means in
Argentina "God bless you"
in Texas, USA "Hi"
and almost everywhere else in the world: "Dude, that rocks!"

Oh my. Does it really mean "Hello" to the Texans? Weird.
The painting was done with gouache once again :).

DrDebby
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Having relatives in Texas that I visit from time to time, I have never had them gesture "HI" that way at me, nor have I seen it. Wonder what part of Texas. Great job on the hand.

robertsloan2
05-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Great hand painting! I love the way you shaded it and created depth, the gouache is an interesting medium for doing skin and body parts. Very accurate hand. That's interesting. I haven't seen that gesture often enough to really say.

prismalos
05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
awesome! Heavy metal sign too! \m/

Davkin
05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Well painted hand. I spent nearly two years in Argentina and I don't remember anybody using that sign for anything, though that was over 20 years ago. The Texas thing doesn't sound right.

David

sparkling
05-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, the thing with the hand gesture is funny isn't it? They showed a picture of GW Bush with that hand sign next to it, explaining that he was actually not the world's biggest metalhead right after Beavis and Butthead, but that this was just a way of saying "hi" in Texas. So in what part of Texas does he actually live? ;)

Not many news from me today as I had no time for painting. Here's a little sketch I did last week. It's the view from my window at dusk. (Inktense & wash)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2010/97229-0page5.jpg

DrDebby
05-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Great silhouette. Beautiful evening sky.

alfreda
05-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I like the hand :)

purpalia
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I love the hand and the little sketch, so soothing...

Also, thanks for sharing the background stories as well!

robertsloan2
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Lovely sunset view, Silvia. I love the silhouetted rooftops and the way you captured the cool dark hues when everything's almost black but not quite, it's very true to the light of that part of dusk. Gorgeous!

sparkling
05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Just noticed that I haven't posted here in a while. Truth is I haven't been drawing much into my sketchbook during the last week. I was too busy preparing my newly arrived pochade box and practicing painting en plein air ;).

However, I did use my art book. I don't use it for sketching and painting only, it's also a kind of diary and a notebook for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/97229-0page14.jpg

Here I've noted down the recipe for cold porcelain clay. Never heard of it before, but as I like sculpting with air drying clays I'm going to give it a try soon.
I've found this recipe somewhere here on WetCanvas and just had to write it down. One of the things I've learned over time is that it's not wise to collect links only on the internet. So many interesting sites disappear over night and so much interesting and helpful information gets lost. I don't know how often I've searched for useful threads here on WeCa only to find that the interesting links that had been posted way back then are now dead or broken. Sometimes I wished the poster had better quoted the site and not only added the link. Or even better: taken a few screen captures and posted those. Yet I guess that's not possible for copyright reasons ...erm, but well.

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you! I didn't see the original post, so I've copied the recipe from your page. It's presented well too. It's cool that your journal has that kind of useful information in it -- awesome! It also fits with the paintings you've done, it's the kind of sudden change of style and topic that's very cool but stays on a theme of creativity.

I might try to make it someday, it'd be pretty cool to have homemade sculpting clay. I'd have to use it fairly soon though or it would wind up possibly getting taken as a food item by one of the two people in the house who actually cook!

eyepaint
05-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Great cover to your journal. Agree about the women's magazine. Love the beginning pages and accompanying philosophy. Great experiments. That hand (and the many meanings!) is cool.

sparkling
05-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Robert, that's so true.:thumbsup:
I sometimes wished I had my own little fridge just for my paint supply as I don't like storing these next to foodstuff. It's not only that someone might accidentally pick them up, but sometimes those materials have a nasty smell and I just don't think it's hygienical to store those things together with food. ;).
Maybe I should get me one of those miniature fridges that can be used in the car as well. :D

Aiylah
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I love your philosophy of messing the sketchbook pages. :D Also that entry about the women's magazines.. how very true :lol:
Lovely sketches and paintings so far, I like your diversity!

On the hand - I actually read an article on that recently which said what meanings that gesture had. You were close on the Texas one - it's for the state university or something. Here's the article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8687002.stm

sparkling
05-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Thank you very much Aiylah, I guess the mystery about the hand gesture is now solved ^-^. The article I've read was from National Geographic, maybe they need to teach their journalists to be more careful about what they publish? *lol*

DrDebby
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Nice addition to your art journal. Recipes, notes, drawings, it all belongs because journals are part of our lives. So this recipe is for air dry clay you make yourself?

Joan T
05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Sylvia - I enjoyed seeing your journal (great cover) and your entries. I like that you've got a bit of all kinds of mediums and some life lessons too!! I'll be back to visit again. I'm trying to view 1/2 journals at a time until I catch up.

TaniaBee
05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Sylvia - i love your journal, all of it!!
I especially like your theory about messing up the first page.

My boyfriend got me a moleskin and i'm just almost terrified to use it in case i mess it up - it's stupid i know... but maybe if i mess up the first page the rest will go well :) LOL!!

Look forward to seeing more of your journal!!

JamieWG
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Nice job with the hand, and I love it's setting against the bright pink! Texans? Who knew! LOL

I like your inktense sunset too.

I collect notes in my journals too, though yours is a lot neater than mine. hahaha! You make a very good point about links disappearing on the internet. Best to write down the worthwhile information.

Jamie

sparkling
06-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Debby, this recipe is for an air dry clay I've found on the internet and intend to try to make it myself soon. I will keep you all updated as to how things will work out :D.

Joan, thank you very much ^-^.

Tania, messing up the first pages is really all it needs to feel more free when creating. It always works for me and I hope that it's going to work for you, too! Good luck and please don't forget to show us your results :)!

Jamie, yes the internet is not the safest place to have information stored.

Funnily some experts extend this to all kinds of digital storages. They say that we need to backup our files more regularly and make security copies more often, too, because our files will inevitably shrink and loose information over time (due to the material our disks, hard drives, CDs and DVDs are made of). Some of these experts even go as far as to prognosticate that in 100 years from now there will be more good quality photos of the early 20th century available than (digital) photos of our times.

Oh well. Now that's what today's entry is all about.

We disappear, gouache and some scraps of the infamous women's mag.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2010/97229-0page19.jpg

prismalos
06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Awesome SD card there! You even impressed the little seal on that card! :D

It's amazing how technology has evolved. Who would've known that every piece of information can be stored in such a tiny device. They say that this decade will be the continuation of Moore's Law, that means things will even be smaller! :thumbsup:

Hopefully not small enough to disappear and be irretrievable! :lol:

DrDebby
06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Great job on the SD storage. It's amazing how much things have changed in the last 10 years on data storage.

cupcake art
06-04-2010, 11:27 PM
There is so much pleasure to be found looking through your art journal, I love it.:clap: I can't remember the last time I picked up a paint brush, thank you for the inspiration.

robertsloan2
06-05-2010, 12:43 AM
That page is fantastic. I love the color, the strong contrasts and simple message. The detail on the SD card is great. Well done!