PDA

View Full Version : Help - Approaching Gallery

Colourist52
05-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi, up till now I have only hung a couple of my paintings in local exhibitions and I was thinking of approaching a small local gallery. At the front of the building they have a shop where they sell paintings, sculptures, craft etc and behind the shop is a gallery where they hold exhibitions throughout the year.
I was thinking of asking if they would take 2 or 3 of my paintings to hang in the shop, my family think that I should also try to get them to agree to my having an exhibition there next year.
Can anyone please advise on the best way to approach a gallery and is there any big DO'S AND DON'TS I should remember?

Colorix
05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Julie, go girl! There is tons of good advice on this in the Art Business forum, do a "search this forum" and you'll get more than you want. :-)

Charlie

*Deirdre*
05-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Good advice Charlie...I would just add, having seen an article, by Maggie Price in Pastel Journal, edition June, 2010... a good idea is to print photos, of your paintings, onto glossy photo paper...and fix them into a small, spiral bound, sketch book...thus giving them, psychologically an 'art' look rather than just a photo album....clever eh? Finish the look by neatly writing the title beside each one. You could put up the 20 images in one small book...and produce it from your handbag...wherever you see an opportunity!

Colourist52
05-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Charlie, I've just read the Art Business Forum, there's some really good ideas in there. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Deidre, That is a really good idea! I've actually started to print out photos of my paintings, putting them into a plastic leaf file, but fixing them into a small sketch book that you can keep in your bag is a much better idea.