Dimension: 11 x 15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My brother, Mike

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
comments and critiques will help me....thanks

guillot
09-23-2002, 11:59 PM
I admire anyone who can paint portraits in watercolor!! This is really wonderful, and I love the background color choices. The only thing that jumps at me is his hand, but that could be the scan, or my monitor.

I've never been a watercolorist. My Portraiture teacher (in oils) told me that my problem is trying to paint with watercolors like I paint with oils: you just can't do that :D. Two total different monsters.

This is really nice.

Tina

artbabe21
09-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Great colors... wise, handsome brother...
{wondered about that song title}
Such a well rendered portrait....oh, you ARE good...Montana girl
Tell me please about the words...I find them distracting...

What about the hand, Tina? The yellow?
I think this close to my monitor it looks different than across the room...wait...I'll go see...
yep, it's OK...for me :)

guillot
09-24-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi Cathleen :D.

I see a wrinkle on the face, giving the impression that he is resting his face on his hand, but it doesn't look like his hand is touching his face...... Maybe a little shadow work around the hand would do the trick. Just seems to stick out a little bit.

Could be my monitor also :D.

Tina

jerryW
09-24-2002, 06:19 AM
much of this appeals to me greatly.
the area that has words to read and the area that is treated with sponge paper are from a multimedia approach that I am less interested in.
love the head, the suit is not bad at all.
watercolor handling sublime.

painterbear
09-24-2002, 06:41 AM
Great title, Pam.

This portrait has a lot going for it. I really like the way his eyes are looking directly at the viewer (if you walk across the room, do they follow you?). Like the textures in the background and sides.

His hair seems to be outlined against the background. Maybe you could lose some of the edge here and there to soften that effect. Agree with others about the hand not looking like it touches the face. Add a few wrinkles there to show how the skin would be distorted by the pressure from the hand?

You do have a wonderful talent for portraiture. First your beautiful daughter, now your handsome brother. When are you going to do a self-portrait, Pam?

Wayne Gaudon
09-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Like the coloring, rendering, and handling of the subject matter .. don't like the hand .. for some reason it looks like a cutout that was superimposed on the painting ..

ArtistEnigma
09-24-2002, 07:08 AM
at first glance you can tell that he's resting his face on his fist. at second glance, it looks as if he is angry with me and taunting me with five balled up digits of fury.

pampe
09-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Tina, thanks...that hand is much more bothersome on this site than in life...but it bears some more work...

BozeBabe....you are too kind....the words are just laying there....was trying to decide what to do about a background when i took the pic.

mustcreate
09-24-2002, 11:52 AM
I keep looking at that tie....so fabulous!!

sorry, no brilliance yet :rolleyes:

pampe
09-24-2002, 12:04 PM
the folks have a problem with the hand....look carefully and see if this is better:

jerryW
09-24-2002, 01:56 PM
i miss the impact of the white rectangles

pampe
09-24-2002, 06:20 PM
:p

guillot
09-24-2002, 09:19 PM
It looks wonderful Pampe! Wayne mirrored my feeling about the hand above. But now, it seems to have found it's place. That's what I was saying before, it can always be an illusion from the scan or the camera.......they are not perfect :D. Did you change something, or was it in fact a "glitch" in the system?

Tina

artinoils
09-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Nice portrait. Love the colors.
Where have the words gone. My curiosity is piqued by both their appearance and dissappearance, and there meaning. I imagine they say thinking of homeland and don't appologize.
The hand above the 3rd knuckle seems too light almost like he's raising his pinky.

arourapope
09-25-2002, 09:30 AM
I miss the words. Are you going to put them back? I kept trying to read them, and couldn't, and that picqued my curiousity. The hand's better. The watercolor technique is stunning.

orchidlover6
09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
this is wonderful pampe!
did you paint the text too?
wonderful colors and I like the composition.

Epicurea
09-26-2002, 02:00 AM
:clap:

If I could jump up and down and clap for you without looking twice as retarded as that little clappy guy, I would. That's how very impressed I am with your portrait skills and especially your watercolor skills. (Particularly since I myself have lost my hand for watercolor...not one of those "like riding a bike" things...but I was never this good. :) )

I too was curious about the words. They added extra bits of interest to the background which are going to be viewed as either...well, extra bits of interest on which to focus, or else minor distractions, depending on the viewer's preferences. So it just depends on what kind of overall impact you're looking to make on which type of viewer. The only thing I found distracting about them was the proximity of the upper one to his head; other than that I thought they added a little extra mystery. Do you intend to return them to the painting, and what's the translation?

C

pampe
09-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Tina...I re-worked the hand...thanks

ABOUT THE WORDS:

I am trying to decide what to do with the background...since this is my brother and he is a writer and journalist....I was thinking of collaging some stuff on...the words were (czechoslovakian) there to see what I thought ....and I took the first pic with them there....

so it is interesting to hear your comments.

Aurora, thanks.....I find watercolor portraits easier than other subjects all of a sudden...this is about my 5th.

Epicurea....not a bike at all...nope Thanks for the praise.