PDA

View Full Version : Help! Have been contacted by someone in the UK to buy my art

pastellady
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
My question is how do you determine if a collector is ligitimate or if it is a scam. I know scams exist when selling overseas. I have sold overseas but only to people that I know or that know one of my collectors.

Any advice on how to research a potential overseas buyer?

CM Neidhofer
05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Were you contacted by email? If so, read the message again. Usually there is a mistake in grammar or spelling somewhere in the message. If not, then they usually want to send you a bank draft or money order and have you ship to a foreign address because they live here, but are moving to this new home in a foreign country and are usually in a great hurry. I know others here have had the same offer. I haven't personally, but I get enough of the other stuff about how I'm next of kin to some ruler of a country who was killed in an accident and now I've inherited $8 million dollars. Just send them my name, address, phone number, bank account number and they'll set up an ATM card for me to collect my millions! lol Be careful with this and see what everyone else has to say before you do anything.

Colorix
05-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Post the text of it, and we'll help.

Charlie

Deborah Secor
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Google the first line of the e-mail you received or the key names and see if other artists have received it. If it's phony you'll find a bunch of them and know not to respond.

Also check this site: http://www.artscams.com/ Good advice there!

Deborah

spunkyfluff
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Here's one we received this week at Terry Ludwig Pastels (to which I do not plan to respond):

Good Day,

I will like to purchase your following works for my new home in here in the united kingdom.The pieces i am interested in are :

Calla Lilies - 16in x 20in

Marie's Pride - 20in x 24in

Indigenous - 24in x 16in

Please confirm their availability respectively,last selling price each (VAT Inclusive) & As for the shipment of the pieces,my wife will be visiting the U.S in 2 weeks for a conference,she will have the pieces picked up from your gallery.Payment will be sent upfront to secure the artworks.

I look forward to read back from you as soon as possible.Thanks

AbdulKareem Omar.
Omar Investments Limited
22,Union Road,
London,SW4 6JP
United Kingdom
+44.702.409.8847

:evil:

Colorix
05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Good example, Kristen. For some reason, they seldom use a capital 'I', but the small 'i' instead, for I = me. And as it takes longer than 2 weeks to for the banks to clear the money...

Charlie

pastellady
05-08-2010, 02:45 PM
A Big thanks to Everyone!!!!! My email is similar to the one Kristin posted. I have sold paintings overseas but always to someone I knew or to someone recommended by another collector, friend or family.
Think I'll just let this one pass,
I am so grateful for all the friends on wetcanvas,
Jennylynne

JPQ
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Good example, Kristen. For some reason, they seldom use a capital 'I', but the small 'i' instead, for I = me. And as it takes longer than 2 weeks to for the banks to clear the money...

Charlie

i think this mistake is common when people not native talker/writer. I many mistakes comes form this. When we look for example computer translated manuals sometimes there so funny mistakes.

robertsloan2
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
This is a particularly nasty scam. I guess they just get the art and then resell it and pocket the money.